PDA

View Full Version : RIP Muhammad Ali

horses4courses
06-04-2016, 12:35 AM
What a man he was......RIP The Greatest

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CkFISwmUoAEZSaW.jpg

lamboguy
06-04-2016, 12:51 AM
there's a big one, none bigger that i can remember. i bet on him back in 1976 against Ken Norton. i went to Yankee Stadium to watch the fight, i was sitting about a mile back from the ring, when they put up his right hand and gave Ali the fight i fainted. to this day i can't believe he won the fight and i won my bet.

he was a real funny guy and all his good will is going to be missed

RIP

098poi
06-04-2016, 01:12 AM
RIP In a league, class all his own.

barahona44
06-04-2016, 01:28 AM
I'm not enough of a boxing aficionado to know where his ranking would exactly be in the heavyweight pantheon, but when it came to being an electrifying, charasmatic presence he was in an absolute class by himself.And nobody else was even close.

RIP, Mr. Ali.

Greyfox
06-04-2016, 01:46 AM
The GREATEST BOXER EVER.

Dahoss2002
06-04-2016, 03:10 AM
The GREATEST BOXER EVER.
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

tucker6
06-04-2016, 06:20 AM
In some respects, he was a better representative for blacks on the American and world stages than MLK. He had no problem with any race, creed, or religion. Thoughtful, good looking, well spoke, with charisma out the ying yang. A true man of all the people.

"Float like a butterfly, and sting like a bee" RIP

Bennie
06-04-2016, 06:22 AM
Had the pleasure of seeing him from the start of his career to the end. Always rooted for Frazier, liked his style better, but never disappointed with the fight. Not sure if he was the greatest boxer of all time but he sure was the smartest and most entertaining of all time. May he rest in peace.

Johnny V
06-04-2016, 06:24 AM
The greatest heavyweight champion IMO. I had the opportunity to meet and talk with Ali two times at his training camp in Deer Lake, PA when he was training for the second Joe Frazier fight and then the title fight with Kenny Norton. He was a very personable man, and just wonderful with children.
I recall a small group of young boy scouts who arrived too late to watch him train and Ali came out and spent some time with them, patiently answering all those boyhood questions kids will ask a heavyweight champion, and then took them into his kitchen cabin there and was playing around with them and let one of the kids playfully knock him out and one of his entourage then playfully counted Ali out.
RIP, Champ.

reckless
06-04-2016, 06:35 AM
Always thought the two greatest boxers of all time were Cassius Clay and Muhammad Ali.

I'm not joking either. Two different boxers for different times and eras.

MutuelClerk
06-04-2016, 07:19 AM
ALI.....BOOM BA YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rookies
06-04-2016, 07:58 AM
A wonderful boxer, an even better American! :ThmbUp:

Marshall Bennett
06-04-2016, 08:01 AM
His two upset title victories over Liston and Foreman were enormous and often overshadowed by his otherwise lengthy career and success. No doubt he was the greatest and stands alone.
Rest in peace tough guy.

Inner Dirt
06-04-2016, 09:25 AM
Greatest ever, he really did float like a butterfly sting like a bee, had the power of a heavyweight but quick with his feet and hands as any lightweight. The guys he beat to be two time champion in the 70's, Norton, Frazier, Foreman, Shavers, would probably been good enough to be champion for a whole decade if they came along at any other time. The 70's were hands down the best era for heavyweight boxing, Ali was the best of the best.

Grits
06-04-2016, 10:18 AM
Maybe the threads can be merged. I don't know. But, I believe he was much greater than a thread that will be less visible in Off Topic Sports. ;)

This video included two greats, Ali, and the late Ed Bradley, long time CBS journalist. It's difficult to believe this was filmed in 1996. He lived 20 more years with Parkinsons. This, alone, is a testament to his strength, his will. This likely would be much harder for a lesser fit, less determined individual.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-muhammad-ali-ed-bradley/

Rest in peace...this man of all the world's people.

MutuelClerk
06-04-2016, 11:28 AM
He was the most recognizable man in the world. It was more than being a boxer. It was being a humanitarian which kind of contradicts what boxers do. He and Howard Cosell made great TV back in the day. He fought Foreman when I was a sophomore in high school. I had a first hour gym class and of course bet on Ali. I remember walking up and down locker room rows with a hat out and people putting dollars in it. I also remember my mom hating him, screaming words at him I never understood. I asked her why she hated him and she brought up war, being black, whatever else. Hurt me. I remember her asking me why I liked him. I told her he's the best boxer ever and will be remembered for more than what he's done in boxing. I loved my mom but will never understand her feelings towards this man. God Bless Muhammad Ali.

ArlJim78
06-04-2016, 11:30 AM
He transcended boxing, a beloved figure outside of the sport and the US.
He was so many things, had so many gifts. A truly unique and inspiring individual. Few people can get away with calling themselves The Greatest at anything. But in his case does anyone really disagree?

In my life I don't recall any TV moment that hit me so powerfully as his surprise appearance at the opening of the Atlanta Olympic games in 1996. Everyone is wondering who will light the flame, then suddenly his figure appears at the very end of the flame lighting ceremony, shaking of course from his illness, but determined to light it and motivate everyone to be their best. I get chills just thinking about it.

RIP Muhammad Ali

cj
06-04-2016, 02:41 PM
Maybe the threads can be merged. I don't know. But, I believe he was much greater than a thread that will be less visible in Off Topic Sports. ;)

This video included two greats, Ali, and the late Ed Bradley, long time CBS journalist. It's difficult to believe this was filmed in 1996. He lived 20 more years with Parkinsons. This, alone, is a testament to his strength, his will. This likely would be much harder for a lesser fit, less determined individual.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-muhammad-ali-ed-bradley/

Rest in peace...this man of all the world's people.

I think two threads are ok in this instance. Some overlap but some people in both threads rarely or never visit the other area.

cj
06-04-2016, 02:53 PM
Sad night last night. I often rooted against Ali when I was a kid. He probably didn't really win some of the fights he was credited with winning during that time and it used to bug me. But everything he did in the ring was dwarfed by what he did outside of the ring. Not only was we voted the top athlete of the 20th century, there really wasn't anyone close to challenging him.

buzzy
06-04-2016, 03:14 PM
Great fighter... Made heavyweights look like middleweights..His rope'a'dope won his battles but lost the war.. One of the all time greats.. Smoking Joe Ali 1 still my favorite fight..RIP

tucker6
06-04-2016, 04:33 PM
His rope'a'dope won his battles but lost the war..
Not understanding the meaning of that.

horses4courses
06-04-2016, 04:38 PM
Not understanding the meaning of that.

Meaning he took too many heavy blows to the head.

Ali used the "rope a dope" tactic to lure some fighters into believing
that he was hurt and was soon going to fall. Instead, in Ali's mind,
he was just waiting for an opportune moment to reverse the roles
and start pummeling his opponent. It didn't always work, and he
ultimately paid a heavy price for soaking up punches.

Ocala Mike
06-04-2016, 04:48 PM
He soldiered on for more than 20 years when he could have just thrown in the towel. He answered the bell for every round. RIP, Ali and Clay!

tucker6
06-04-2016, 04:50 PM
Meaning he took too many heavy blows to the head.

Ali used the "rope a dope" tactic to lure some fighters into believing
that he was hurt and was soon going to fall. Instead, in Ali's mind,
he was just waiting for an opportune moment to reverse the roles
and start pummeling his opponent. It didn't always work, and he
ultimately paid a heavy price for soaking up punches.
Okay, my brain was just slow on the uptake. I was very much alive then and never liked the tactic myself.

VeryOldMan
06-04-2016, 05:09 PM
In my life I don't recall any TV moment that hit me so powerfully as his surprise appearance at the opening of the Atlanta Olympic games in 1996. Everyone is wondering who will light the flame, then suddenly his figure appears at the very end of the flame lighting ceremony, shaking of course from his illness, but determined to light it and motivate everyone to be their best. I get chills just thinking about it.

RIP Muhammad Ali
This right here.

I still get chills thinking about when he emerged from the shadows - and we could all see the price he paid for getting pounded so hard for so long.

RIP

Grits
06-04-2016, 05:25 PM
I've hardly ever watched boxing, certainly not since Ali retired, or since Sugar Ray retired. I don't like fighting...don't like seeing one pound another into oblivion...all in the name of sport. Don't like any kind of fighting, don't care where it's happening.

So many athletes rise to fame but those who rise to immortality make up quite a short list. This man is on that list, largely due to his humanity.

I look at Floyd Mayweather, today. All the millions upon millions he has made, what has he done with it? Does he ever help others? I've only read about his lavish, endless, spending. He's what I call, "stupid rich". I don't have much interest in such folk, at least, until someone can enlighten me. :lol:

George Foreman's made more money selling grills than he ever made in the ring. I sure hope he's shared his wealth.

horses4courses
06-04-2016, 05:31 PM
George Foreman's made more money selling grills than he ever made in the ring. I sure hope he's shared his wealth.

I would echo those sentiments.
Considering the fact that he has 12 children,
though, he is off to a head start right there. ;)

cj
06-04-2016, 05:33 PM

Found this on first search:

Has donated to many charities, including $100,000 to AIDS Foundation Houston’s Stone Soup Pantry, for which he won a humanitarian award.

He also received an honorary doctorate from the Houston Graduate School of Theology for his charity work with children. Foreman built The George Foreman Youth & Community Center in 1984 with money he had saved through his eight year retirement. He wanted to create a haven for kids to hang out.

I thought it was great he built the Youth Center before he really struck it rich.

Grits
06-04-2016, 05:43 PM
Now this a fine, fine thing. Stewardship and helping others. Maybe, Mayweather's handlers (accountants, may be a better word) are/or will encourage him to do the same. Although, I've not seen record of it, recently.

What I truly cannot believe is what people are willing to PAY to watch this guy fight. It's insane.

A lot of them? They're stupid rich, too.

:lol::lol::lol:

Marshall Bennett
06-04-2016, 07:00 PM
I used to love boxing. When all the boxers of Ali's era faded and retired, the sport was never the same again. Lower weight divisions maintained some interest to many, but generally boxing is a shell of its former self.

Tape Reader
06-04-2016, 07:10 PM
Classic, from memory:

Howard Cosell: “Champ, you are being quite truculent tonight.”

Ali: “I don’t know what truculent means but if it’s “good”, I’m it!

Me: I still do not know what truculent means, but I do know what “good” means.

Cassius Clay / Mohamed Ali, was it.

tucker6
06-04-2016, 07:45 PM
Classic, from memory:

Howard Cosell: “Champ, you are being quite truculent tonight.”

Ali: “I don’t know what truculent means but if it’s “good”, I’m it!

Me: I still do not know what truculent means, but I do know what “good” means.

Cassius Clay / Mohamed Ali, was it.
Haha. I remember that one. Those two were like Abbott and Costello. They sometimes seemed like an old married couple.

barahona44
06-04-2016, 07:58 PM
I used to love boxing. When all the boxers of Ali's era faded and retired, the sport was never the same again. Lower weight divisions maintained some interest to many, but generally boxing is a shell of its former self.
Since boxing is the ultimate individual sport, it depends on personalities that grab people's attention, which is sadly lacking these days.Also boxing was always a way to rise out of ethnic ghettos and poverty which is less needed these days.

cj
06-04-2016, 08:03 PM
Since boxing is the ultimate individual sport, it depends on personalities that grab people's attention, which is sadly lacking these days.Also boxing was always a way to rise out of ethnic ghettos and poverty which is less needed these days.

GGG has everything...power, flair, charisma...and still few nobody knows him outside of boxing circles. The sport is dead as mainstream.

CryingForTheHorses
06-04-2016, 08:44 PM
The world lost one of the greatest people in history..RIP Champ!

Grits
06-04-2016, 09:03 PM
I would echo those sentiments.
Considering the fact that he has 12 children,
though, he is off to a head start right there. ;)

Lord, have mercy.... :faint: H4C, I didn't see this.

I didn't know this either. That's not a family, that's a herd! The poor woman. Or, did he have 4 wives like Ali? Serial husband?

horses4courses
06-04-2016, 10:07 PM
Lord, have mercy.... :faint: H4C, I didn't see this.

I didn't know this either. That's not a family, that's a herd! The poor woman. Or, did he have 4 wives like Ali? Serial husband?

Haha.... ;)

One more wife than Ali,
but has been married to the fifth since 1985.

Grits
06-04-2016, 10:34 PM
Haha.... ;)

One more wife than Ali,
but has been married to the fifth since 1985.

He found his "keepher" on the fourth try. Good for him. Finally. :)

PhantomOnTour
06-04-2016, 10:59 PM
What can I say about Ali that hasn't already been said?
Had the pleasure of shaking his hand as a kid when he visited my home town.

My high school girlfriends' mother worshiped Ali - she had a picture of the two of them standing in her kitchen. She passed away about 15yrs ago and tonight i imagine her delight upon seeing him again.

RIP Champ
RIP Mrs Edge (I've done my best to look after your daughter)

Valuist
06-05-2016, 11:13 AM
RIP to Ali.

I do disagree with comment (like Steve Kerr made) that he was the most significant athlete of all time. With all due respect to Ali, Jackie Robinson was the most significant. And I've have to say Babe Ruth as well. But if there was a Mt Rushmore for sports, no argument for Ali being on it.

jk3521
06-05-2016, 11:33 AM
mIx6s9l7Omc

Dean Martin roast of Ali (1976)

Get a load of some of those jokes. They wouldn't fly in 2016.

tucker6
06-05-2016, 12:22 PM
RIP to Ali.

I do disagree with comment (like Steve Kerr made) that he was the most significant athlete of all time. With all due respect to Ali, Jackie Robinson was the most significant. And I've have to say Babe Ruth as well. But if there was a Mt Rushmore for sports, no argument for Ali being on it.
I'll disagree with your disagreement. Jackie Robinson is mostly known only to Americans. His breaking of the color barrier is a uniquely American issue. Ali was in a worldwide sport and after concluding his career, led a life that took him around the world promoting ideals that went well beyond sports, including helping hostages get released from Iraq.

MutuelClerk
06-05-2016, 12:28 PM
I agree with Tucker but will never rip on Jackie Robinson who was also an amazing influence. In this category a Mt. Rushmore isn't needed. These two lap the field. Everyone else also ran.

horses4courses
06-05-2016, 12:29 PM
RIP to Ali.

Can't agree there.
In the US, perhaps.
Not around the world.

Ali's legend spanned the globe from the 1960s onward.
Few athletes ever came close to that.

Rookies
06-05-2016, 01:17 PM
What can I say about Ali that hasn't already been said?
Had the pleasure of shaking his hand as a kid when he visited my home town.

My high school girlfriends' mother worshiped Ali - she had a picture of the two of them standing in her kitchen. She passed away about 15yrs ago and tonight i imagine her delight upon seeing him again.

RIP Champ
RIP Mrs Edge (I've done my best to look after your daughter)

:ThmbUp:

Nice one!

Rookies
06-05-2016, 01:21 PM
Can't agree there.
In the US, perhaps.
Not around the world.

Ali's legend spanned the globe from the 1960s onward.
Few athletes ever came close to that.

Without question!

He was the first living person to have that instant, worldwide name recognition. Followed by the first name guys: 'Michael', etc

PaceAdvantage
06-05-2016, 04:47 PM
I always liked him as a little kid in the 70s...and my mom was a huge fan of his, so I remember an Ali fight was always a must watch. Good thing there was no pay-per-view back then, because my mom never did believe in cable TV... :lol:

Hell, she didn't believe in color TV either. They didn't buy their first color TV until I was on my way to college in the late 80s...LMAO

Yesterday would have been my mom's 73rd birthday...

It's good to see so many positive things being said/remembered about the Champ. I'm sure there are some on here (names withheld) who expected some of our members to post negative shit, but I'm glad that's not happening.

horses4courses
06-05-2016, 04:58 PM
I'm sure there are some on here (names withheld) who expected some of our members to post negative shit

That would be just about any liberal, I take it?

tucker6
06-05-2016, 05:10 PM
That would be just about any liberal, I take it?
Gibbs' rule #52: If you think it may be you, it probably is. :D

burnsy
06-06-2016, 08:19 AM
I always liked him as a little kid in the 70s...and my mom was a huge fan of his, so I remember an Ali fight was always a must watch. Good thing there was no pay-per-view back then, because my mom never did believe in cable TV... :lol:

Hell, she didn't believe in color TV either. They didn't buy their first color TV until I was on my way to college in the late 80s...LMAO

Yesterday would have been my mom's 73rd birthday...

It's good to see so many positive things being said/remembered about the Champ. I'm sure there are some on here (names withheld) who expected some of our members to post negative shit, but I'm glad that's not happening.

How could anyone from either side post negative shit about this man? He was the poster child of American bravery. He stood up to the government for something that anyone with a brain can see was wrong. For doing so, he could not fight for years and faced prison time. It was all based on principle and in the end he was right. If people thought he was a coward for not going to war, I would of dared them to step in the ring with him during his prime. He was the equivalent of a human buzz saw. He fought them all, during a period of time when guys were bigger than him and stronger. The heavy weight division was deep with great fighters. He was there, win or lose, never have I seen a boxer lose like he did....only to bounce back. That almost never happens in that game. The guy didn't know the words "quit" or "stop" and unfortunately that partially led to his demise. I admired him for decades. If people got off the political shit and got on the "what's right" shit. This would be a way better world. He followed his heart and soul to do what he though was right....I can't fault a man for doing that,he's a hero in my book.

Rookies
06-06-2016, 10:35 AM
How could anyone from either side post negative shit about this man? He was the poster child of American bravery. He stood up to the government for something that anyone with a brain can see was wrong. For doing so, he could not fight for years and faced prison time. It was all based on principle and in the end he was right. If people thought he was a coward for not going to war, I would of dared them to step in the ring with him during his prime. He was the equivalent of a human buzz saw. He fought them all, during a period of time when guys were bigger than him and stronger. The heavy weight division was deep with great fighters. He was there, win or lose, never have I seen a boxer lose like he did....only to bounce back. That almost never happens in that game. The guy didn't know the words "quit" or "stop" and unfortunately that partially led to his demise. I admired him for decades. If people got off the political shit and got on the "what's right" shit. This would be a way better world. He followed his heart and soul to do what he though was right....I can't fault a man for doing that,he's a hero in my book.

He came to Toronto specifically to fight George Chuvalo, the Canadian Heavyweight champ, because he was blackballed in the U.S. It was a memorable contest, lasting 15, and although the Champ won, he simply could not knock down granite George! He was sore for days and pissing blood.

Just heard this morning, that ALL the U.S., white writers of the Sport, who came north for the fight, absolutely refused to call him by his name- rather Cassius Clay. It was yet another symbol of the times, that he stood alone, reviled by the vast majority of Americans, for his principled stand. The tide was far from turning in 1966 and Ali was instrumental in that transformation.

BTW, Chuvalo & Ali became lifelong friends as a result of this bout and a later one in Vancouver.

Marshall Bennett
06-06-2016, 12:08 PM
How could anyone from either side post negative shit about this man? He was the poster child of American bravery. He stood up to the government for something that anyone with a brain can see was wrong
It was a belief shared by many that the war was wrong, but not in the eyes of the government. He broke the law and did the time by losing the best years of his career. He wasn't locked up or forced to flee the country like many chose to do to avoid prosecution.
None of my post about Ali have been negative. He was the greatest boxer to ever put on gloves and after boxing a global asset to humanity. This doesn't make it okay to avoid service to his country because he disagrees with war, his beliefs, or whatever. His punishment fit the crime however, and I was able to eventually let it go and respect the man. For a long time I couldn't.

reckless
06-06-2016, 03:08 PM
(Ali) was the most recognizable man in the world. It was more than being a boxer. It was being a humanitarian which kind of contradicts what boxers do. He and Howard Cosell made great TV back in the day. ... God Bless Muhammad Ali.

MutuelClerk, I hope you and our friends here on PA enjoy this short clip to Ali from Howard Cosell.

http://710wor.iheart.com/onair/mark-simone-52176/watch-howard-cosells-tearful-tribute-to-14780968/