PDA

View Full Version : Boston Celtic Dynasty

ronsmac
05-29-2016, 08:35 PM
With no basketball tonight and Game of Thrones an hour away and with Lebron going to 6 straight finals.I got to thinking about the great Celtic teams. They were well before my time so I did a little research. They won 11 titles in 13 years as most people know. Of course there was no free agency so they could keep their core year after year ala the Steel curtain era Steelers. What I didn't totally grasp was the weakness of the Celtics competition and how easy their task was. There were only 8 teams in the league when they won their 1st 4 titles and only 9 teams when they won their next 5 titles. Their 1st title they beat the sensational St.Louis hawks who were 34-38 and their 2nd title came when they beat the mighty Minneapolis Lakers who had a 33-39 record. I wasted most of my day watching them beat the L.A. Lakers in the 1962 finals, and other than Jerry West . I didn't see one NBA quality player. I heard A lot of Elgin Baylor, but after watching him play, I realized he had very little game. The morale of the story is, any of you who enjoy watching Nba basketball. Feel blessed that you're watching Lebron,Curry,Durant etc... The 50s and 60s Celtics were painful to watch and it's almost embarrassing to call that professional basketball. We are seeing the greatest basketball ever played right before our eyes.

SCSAYS
05-29-2016, 09:08 PM
Back in the day the Celtics played great defense unlike todays ball. Also no 3's.Witout them GSW would be on the golf course today.

MutuelClerk
05-29-2016, 10:29 PM
We are seeing the greatest basketball ever played right before our eyes.

Andre Drummond missed over 1000 free throws this season. Great.

ronsmac
05-29-2016, 10:38 PM
Andre Drummond missed over 1000 free throws this season. Great.
Curry made over 400 3 pointers. Great. Russell was a center in an era of slow centers other than Wilt and never shot over 46% from the field, even though he never took a shot more than 10 feet from the basket.

barahona44
05-30-2016, 09:50 AM
Basketball PLAYERS are better, but the game isn't, although it's better than it was a few years ago when everything was one guy dribbling, dribbling, dribbling while his four team mates stood around watching.I still prefer the fast break, up tempo game of the (not that) olden days