PDA

View Full Version : Amazing comeback

Valuist
05-28-2016, 06:39 PM
The Royals, playing without 2015 All Stars Alex Gordon and Mike Moustakis, trailed the White Sox 7-1 going into the bottom of the 9th. The first hitter struck out. Then the Royals, noted for a run here and there, and NOT for the big inning, pound out 7 runs against the Sox, including 6 against closer David Robertson, for the unlikely 8-7 win.

Rookies
05-30-2016, 09:16 PM
The Royals, playing without 2015 All Stars Alex Gordon and Mike Moustakis, trailed the White Sox 7-1 going into the bottom of the 9th. The first hitter struck out. Then the Royals, noted for a run here and there, and NOT for the big inning, pound out 7 runs against the Sox, including 6 against closer David Robertson, for the unlikely 8-7 win.

SEVEN Ls in a row for the Walking Dead Sox and 2-8, L10!

One side of the city is smelling badly. ;)

Valuist
05-31-2016, 12:07 AM
SEVEN Ls in a row for the Walking Dead Sox and 2-8, L10!

One side of the city is smelling badly. ;)

As a Cubs fan I've got mixed feelings. I have a futures bet on the White Sox Over 80 1/2 wins, but also have a ticket on the Cubs minus 10 1/2 wins over the White Sox.

RXB
05-31-2016, 12:33 AM
Biggest I remember was the Phillies in Los Angeles. Behind 11-1, scored two runs in the top of the eighth, no big deal... until they also scored nine in the top of the ninth and won 12-11.

mostpost
06-02-2016, 02:01 AM
As a one time Chicagoan, you are probably aware of the worst collapse in Chicago baseball history-and in baseball history over all. In the 1929 World Series, the Cubs led the Philadelphia Athletics 8-0 going into the bottom of the seventh inning of the fourth game. A win would have tied the series for the Cubs at two games apiece. Instead Philadelphia scored ten runs and won the game 10-8. They won the next game to win the series four games to one.

It wasn't a ninth inning collapse, but the significance of the game was far greater than the White Sox game last week.

mostpost
06-02-2016, 02:05 AM
As a Cubs fan I've got mixed feelings. I have a futures bet on the White Sox Over 80 1/2 wins, but also have a ticket on the Cubs minus 10 1/2 wins over the White Sox.
Are you saying that the Cubs final win total for the year will be less than 10 1/2 wins more than the White Sox final win total for the year? You are definitely going to lose that bet. You're probably going to lose the other one too. I hope you make a lot of money at the track. :jump:

Valuist
06-03-2016, 12:55 AM
Are you saying that the Cubs final win total for the year will be less than 10 1/2 wins more than the White Sox final win total for the year? You are definitely going to lose that bet. You're probably going to lose the other one too. I hope you make a lot of money at the track. :jump:

No, not at all. I have the Cubs winning more than 10 1/2 games than the White Sox. Cubs minus 10 1/2 wins means the line favored them to win 10 1/2 more games than the White Sox. I also have the Angels under 81 wins and the Diamondbacks under 82 1/2 wins. The only futures that's in bad shape is the Giants Under 90 wins. But they've got some injury issues, so even that isn't impossible.

The Sox will probably win 82-85 games and the Cubs will win 100-105. I will win both bets. Bank on it.

Valuist
06-03-2016, 01:02 AM
Another amazing comeback tonight. Padres led Seattle 12-2 heading to the 6th inning. M's put up a 5 then hang a 9 in the 7th. Biggest comeback in Seattle history, and biggest lead given up in Padres history.

kingfin66
06-03-2016, 01:15 AM
It was fun to watch as the M's are my hometown team. Still not impressed by the starting pitching efforts provided by Paxton and Miley over the past two nights.

mostpost
06-03-2016, 01:10 PM
No, not at all. I have the Cubs winning more than 10 1/2 games than the White Sox. Cubs minus 10 1/2 wins means the line favored them to win 10 1/2 more games than the White Sox. I also have the Angels under 81 wins and the Diamondbacks under 82 1/2 wins. The only futures that's in bad shape is the Giants Under 90 wins. But they've got some injury issues, so even that isn't impossible.

The Sox will probably win 82-85 games and the Cubs will win 100-105. I will win both bets. Bank on it.
Ok. I understand now. I still hope you win a lot of money at the track.

I am putting the over/under for Cubs wins at 116 and taking the over. Their only real weakness is at catcher. I'm wondering if they will be bringing Willson Contreras up after the break. He is hitting .337 with 8 home runs and an OPS over 1.000 at Iowa. Also, a much better catcher than Montero.

Valuist
06-03-2016, 03:08 PM

I am putting the over/under for Cubs wins at 116 and taking the over. Their only real weakness is at catcher. I'm wondering if they will be bringing Willson Contreras up after the break. He is hitting .337 with 8 home runs and an OPS over 1.000 at Iowa. Also, a much better catcher than Montero.

Montero is very good at pitch framing. Also has good chemistry with the pitchers, as does Ross. Ross will be retiring after this season and maybe they unload Montero after the season, but at this point, they really don't need more offense, at least to the point of messing with team chemistry.

Know what's amazing? It's June 3, and the Cubs have 110 games remaining. If they only go 55-55, they would still finish with 92 wins, which could end up being enough to win the NL Central.

mostpost
06-16-2016, 03:39 PM
Montero is very good at pitch framing. Also has good chemistry with the pitchers, as does Ross. Ross will be retiring after this season and maybe they unload Montero after the season, but at this point, they really don't need more offense, at least to the point of messing with team chemistry.

Know what's amazing? It's June 3, and the Cubs have 110 games remaining. If they only go 55-55, they would still finish with 92 wins, which could end up being enough to win the NL Central.
It turns out I was wrong. The Cubs will not be bringing Willson Contreras up after the break. I just heard on "The Score" that he has been called up and will be here tomorrow. Batting .350 with an OPS of 1080 at Iowa. Tim Feda-whatever designated for assignment.

Valuist
06-16-2016, 04:30 PM
It turns out I was wrong. The Cubs will not be bringing Willson Contreras up after the break. I just heard on "The Score" that he has been called up and will be here tomorrow. Batting .350 with an OPS of 1080 at Iowa. Tim Feda-whatever designated for assignment.

Another reason why I think they will win around 100-105 is they will have the division wrapped up around Labor day, then will give a lot of playing time to guys like Contreras and Almora, and a few others from Iowa. They also probably will have Jake and Lester miss a few starts. Arrieta wore down a bit in his final two playoff starts last year.

I was not aware of Contreras until you mentioned him. He's really come on since the start of 2015.

I do believe they will try to acquire either Chapman or Andrew Miller from the Yankees. Chapman is a free agent at the end of the year, so the ask price will be less than for Miller.

ultracapper
06-19-2016, 08:32 PM
Another amazing comeback tonight. Padres led Seattle 12-2 heading to the 6th inning. M's put up a 5 then hang a 9 in the 7th. Biggest comeback in Seattle history, and biggest lead given up in Padres history.

Mariners are 6-12 since this comeback. They are going to need another comeback this year, a comeback in the wins column, if the promise of May is going to mean anything.

mostpost
06-19-2016, 10:16 PM
Another reason why I think they will win around 100-105 is they will have the division wrapped up around Labor day, then will give a lot of playing time to guys like Contreras and Almora, and a few others from Iowa. They also probably will have Jake and Lester miss a few starts. Arrieta wore down a bit in his final two playoff starts last year.

I was not aware of Contreras until you mentioned him. He's really come on since the start of 2015.

I do believe they will try to acquire either Chapman or Andrew Miller from the Yankees. Chapman is a free agent at the end of the year, so the ask price will be less than for Miller.
The stuff of Legends. Willson Contreras first major league at bat; first pitch; two run, home run. :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

Valuist
06-19-2016, 10:48 PM
The stuff of Legends. Willson Contreras first major league at bat; first pitch; two run, home run. :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

He could be this year's version of Schwarber.

Valuist
06-19-2016, 10:50 PM
Speaking of great comebacks, it would be difficult to ignore the Cavs coming back to win the title after being down 3-1. First time in history. My wife is from Cleveland; my stepson is a diehard Cavs/Indians/Browns fan. They've had a LONG drought between championships.

MutuelClerk
06-20-2016, 03:17 AM
Wish their drought lasted longer. Too bad.

ultracapper
06-21-2016, 04:09 AM
After the game 5 win, I started to think the unthinkable......The Cavs are a better team.

The Warriors showed their vulnerability against the Thunder when they lost 3 out of 4.

Valuist
06-21-2016, 12:36 PM
It certainly seemed like the NBA 1) wanted the Warriors in the Finals, and 2) wanted to extend the series to 6 games (minimum). What Green did vs OKC was much more worthy of a suspension than what he did vs Cleveland.

Valuist
06-24-2016, 11:43 PM

Another big game from Contreras. When I left Chicago a year ago, he wasn't even on their radar of top prospects. I guess hitting .350 with power at Triple A will get one noticed in a hurry.

mostpost
06-28-2016, 12:49 AM
Another big game from Contreras. When I left Chicago a year ago, he wasn't even on their radar of top prospects. I guess hitting .350 with power at Triple A will get one noticed in a hurry.
A big game tonight from Kris Bryant. Three home runs, two doubles, six runs batted in, five for five.

The last time someone hit three home runs and two doubles in a game was never.

reckless
06-28-2016, 08:27 AM
A big game tonight from Kris Bryant. Three home runs, two doubles, six runs batted in, five for five.

I think Kris Bryant simply 'owns' the Reds. To call it a great game is an understatement. That was sensational.

I predict doom and gloom for my Mets when they play the Cubbies this weekend. The arms all seem to be falling off.... who would have thought that getting into the World Series was going to haunt the Mets as it has so far and maybe for years.

Valuist
06-28-2016, 12:49 PM

Bryant has been every bit as good as advertised. He went "full house" last night. And like you said, it has NEVER been done.

Lots of Cub fans at the game in Cincy wanted him to do a curtain call. I like the fact he didn't. That would be disrespectful to do it in an opponent's park.