PDA

View Full Version : Run-Up Distances On Gulfstream Turf

Thomas Roulston
05-28-2016, 01:34 PM
On the NYRA show on MSG+ they keep saying that the run-up distances on the turf at Gulfstream are exceptionally long, especially at 7 1/2 furlongs.

I haven't noticed this (and look at how short the run-up in today's 1st race at Gulfstream was, even though it was on dirt) - and not for nothing, but don't they move the poles when the rail is set out? I know they do this at the NYRA tracks.

cj
05-28-2016, 01:36 PM
On the NYRA show on MSG+ they keep saying that the run-up distances on the turf at Gulfstream are exceptionally long, especially at 7 1/2 furlongs.

I haven't noticed this (and look at how short the run-up in today's 1st race at Gulfstream was, even though it was on dirt) - and not for nothing, but don't they move the poles when the rail is set out? I know they do this at the NYRA tracks.

Nobody moves the poles.

The Gulfstream TURF races often have very long run ups. It is a slap in the face to horseplayers. The longer the run up, the longer the untimed portion of the race. At Gulfstream they have run "7.5 furlong races" that are actually a mile or more.

Thomas Roulston
05-28-2016, 01:40 PM
Then what is that veritable forest of temporary poles doing on the infield at Belmont?

And I never said that they physically move the poles with the red and black stripes - only that they put up those temporary poles, which look like giant pipe cleaners, if you know what one of those looks like, at least at the points where they would time the fractions.

cj
05-28-2016, 01:51 PM
Then what is that veritable forest of temporary poles doing on the infield at Belmont?

And I never said that they physically move the poles with the red and black stripes - only that they put up those temporary poles, which look like giant pipe cleaners, if you know what one of those looks like, at least at the points where they would time the fractions.

I thought you meant the other poles. Yes, the poles for timing are moved.

Thomas Roulston
05-28-2016, 01:53 PM
But back to Gulfstream: I just saw their 2nd race today - which was on turf. There wasn't much of a run-up that I could see.

cj
05-28-2016, 02:39 PM
But back to Gulfstream: I just saw their 2nd race today - which was on turf. There wasn't much of a run-up that I could see.

Because it wasn't long for one race it isn't ever long?

They vary it often, even for the same distance on the same day. The run is listed in the charts every single day. I'm sure you can find some of the longer ones if for some reason you don't believe it. There have been run ups longer than 300 feet, FYI.

cj
05-28-2016, 08:13 PM
Check R7 at GP today for a long run up. It is listed at 256 for a 7.5f race, or 85 yards. Good luck comparing that to the other races on that rail setting today which had a five foot run up.