PDA

View Full Version : Belmont: Saturday, May 28

Teach
05-28-2016, 11:56 AM
Howz youz doin? You haven’t heard from me recently. Can’t do a thing right. Zero. Zilch. Nada! Oogatz! The cheap prx here in MA can’t send me my retirement check in time for me to spend it before the Memorial Day weekend. Marone! Anyway.

Race One: To paraphrase a comment from one of the best handicapper’s in the land, “Bucko Bob”: “In the land of the first-time starters, the horse with a race under his belt is ‘king’”. :2: Jegos Fire is a Posse-bred chestnut colt who led the field to the top of the stretch in his last against similar before settling for second-place finish. Any slight improvement. I repeat: Any slight improvement…and this grandson of Silver Deputy gets all the enchiladas. “Double A,” Angel Arroyo, reprises the ride for owner-trainer Kim Laudati. Others: :6: , :3: , :5:

Race Two: On “the weeds” in a state-bred MSW sprint. Ya don’t have to be “The Three Stooges” or “Laurel & Hardy” to appreciate the chances of :7: Slapstick. This D’funnybone-bred gelding moves outside. Important! Enhances chances. Two second-place finishes in four tries on the fescue. The services of “Senor Santo Domingo,” Joel Rosario, for trainer Tom Morley. Others: :3: , :5: , :6:

Race Three: :7: Shoot From the Hip drops out of MSW state-bred company and is now in for “a tag”. The class-drop should do wonders for this altered son of Cowboy Cal. Yes, he’s been away from the races for many moons, but his trainer, Gary Contessa, does reasonably well with horses who’ve been “on the pine” for several months. Gary Richards is in the irons. Others: :2:, :1: , :4:

Race Four: :1: Run a Dubb Dubb gets my nod in this state-bred claiming sprint. Fits well in this company. Has hit the tote in nearly half her lifetime starts. Johnny V. reprises the ride. An added bonus: You also get the entry mate, :1a: Champagne Ruby. Others: :3: , :7: , :6:

Race Five: An allowance route for state-breds on the turf. :4: Tapa Liath gets my tepid nod. This grey filly finished a game third against similar in her last. Luis Saez is in the irons for trainer Carlos Martin. Trainer Martin does well with second grass races and with beaten favorites. Decent recent morning work. Others: :9: , :6: , :7:

Race Six: :2: Shadow Rider fits well in this company now that the top choice has been declared. Second off a layoff. Switch to one of top jocks. Trainer has decent dirt-start record. This altered son of Giant’s Causeway can get the distance. Others: :3: , :4: , :6:

Race Seven: In this allowance turf route I’m going with a longshot try, a gambler’s throw, :9: Mobridge. This newly-gelded 6 year-old can handle the grass. Yet, one caveat, he’s been away from the races for more than a year. Morning works are good and steady. The Hall of Fame trainer, Bill Mott, does well with horses that compete in allowance races; he also does reasonably well with horses that have been away from the races for prolonged periods of time. Junior Alvarado is in the irons. Others: :6: , :8: . :5:

Race Eight: In The Paradise Creek Stakes on the lawn at 7 panels I’m going with the outside horse, :8: Mighty Mo. This Uncle Mo-bred colt narrowly missed in The Woodhaven over a month ago. The turn-back to seven furlongs should help. So too should the services of John Velazquez. Solid recent work. Bill Mott trains. Others: :1: , :2: , :5:

Race Nine: :11: Canadian Flyer is a medium-longshot try in this allowance turf-sprint. John Velazquez for Bill Mott. Solid recent 3-panel "bullet" work. Outside post should help. One caveat: Has been away from races for over three months. Others: :2: , :6: , :7:

Race Ten: Another medium-longshot try: :11: She’s All Love. This Langfuhr-bred filly just missed breaking her maiden at Laurel about a month ago. Any slight improvement. Angel Arroyo in the irons for trainer Tim Wooley. Wooley does well on the grass with a limited sampling. Second-time lasix. Others: :7: , :6: , :2: