PDA

View Full Version : End of an era

lamboguy
05-27-2016, 03:10 PM
August 31, 2016 will be the last day that Rockingham Park opens its doors to any form of horse race betting or races. the place has been sold to a Tuscan Farm chicken guy.

i can just picture Lou Smith rolling over in his grave watching these idiots completely ruining that place for years and having to close the doors.

ronsmac
05-27-2016, 05:22 PM
I've never been there but my father had dozens of times. I'm not sure if it was Rockingham or Suffolk who was first to have the 26% takeout exacta and daily double. Who ever was first , the other quickly followed suit. Other than that my Father and his best friend had many stories about Rockingham.

charm city whizz
05-27-2016, 06:57 PM
Remeber very vividly going to the meadowlands back in the day and betting rockingham Fridsy nights.....morning line bet downs there were always strong

In case the Brockton fair thread wasn't read came across an article on the demise of New England racing

https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/articles/looking-back-lost-tracks-new-england

happy camper
05-27-2016, 08:35 PM
I already considered it ended. It wasn't like ACRC where they would have 5 days of racing a year.

WHo cares that they have been open for simulcasting?

happy camper
05-27-2016, 08:36 PM
Didn't they once run a harness race on the turf there? I swear I read that somewhere.

charm city whizz
05-27-2016, 09:14 PM
Didn't they once run a harness race on the turf there? I swear I read that somewhere.

Yes....I think that's where the meadowlsnds got the idea....or the other way around, but def ran harness on turf, and it seemed the pompano drivers went there in off season

PaceAdvantage
05-31-2016, 02:42 PM
I've been to Rockingham more than a few times back in the day...it was a nice little distraction from Suffolk Downs...and Wonderland Park... :lol:

Ahhh...my days as an innocent youth going to school in Boston... :lol:

Arapola
06-03-2016, 02:01 PM
I've been to Rockingham more than a few times back in the day...it was a nice little distraction from Suffolk Downs...and Wonderland Park... :lol:

I had a flat tire in their parking lot once and the Lot Attendant gave me a hand changing it.
Very Idyllic, bucolic and did I say picturesque surroundings.
Sleep well my Old Friend!

elhelmete
06-03-2016, 02:29 PM
Dad started out training/driving trotters at the Rock, mid-late 1960s.

Many many early childhood memories of the barns, kitchen, and the rest of the backstretch. Dad would sneak me onto the jog cart for a quick spin once in a while. I even once got my picture on the front of the sports page of the Haverhill Gazette, a 1-year old me sitting in the feed tub feeding a horse a carrot.

Getting hot and fresh potato chips from nearby Granite State Potato Chip factory wasn't shabby either.

Redboard
06-03-2016, 07:45 PM
Thoroughbreds haven’t raced at Rockingham for many years, but this thread is a proper tribute to the track and its Lou Smith who had the balls to buy it in 1931 without state-authorized gambling. Known for putting the everyday customer first, when he opened the park in 1933 the grandstand admission was $1 and parking was free; when he died in 1969 the grandstand admission was $1 and parking was free. In 1967 it was New Hampshire’s top tourist attraction with an attendance on over 1 million.

When it was first built in 1906 at a cost of $1 million, the aesthetically attractive track was immediately declared the finest race course in the world. If you'd like more trivia(including Seabiscuit ran there five times without winning; and, in 1960 it was the first track to offer the pick six) about Rockingham this site has a little more than the one mentioned so far:

http://www.rockinghampark.com/history.html

dilanesp
06-03-2016, 07:55 PM
Thoroughbreds haven’t raced at Rockingham for many years, but this thread is a proper tribute to the track and its Lou Smith who had the balls to buy it in 1931 without state-authorized gambling. Known for putting the everyday customer first, when he opened the park in 1933 the grandstand admission was $1 and parking was free; when he died in 1969 the grandstand admission was $1 and parking was free. In 1967 it was New Hampshire’s top tourist attraction with an attendance on over 1 million.

When it was first built in 1906 at a cost of $1 million, the aesthetically attractive track was immediately declared the finest race course in the world. If you'd like more trivia(including Seabiscuit ran there five times without winning; and, in 1960 it was the first track to offer the pick six) about Rockingham this site has a little more than the one mentioned so far:

http://www.rockinghampark.com/history.html

Agua Caliente in Tijuana was almost certainly the first track in history to offer the pick six, and I have proof that they offered it prior to 1960-- this 1959 newspaper article about a pick five at Hawthorne mentions it:

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1959/10/05/page/68/article/start-new-hawthorne-betting-pool-today

EDIT: Here's another article from 1956 that mentions it:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1368&dat=19560423&id=el1QAAAAIBAJ&sjid=vg8EAAAAIBAJ&pg=4359,1850062&hl=en

098poi
06-03-2016, 08:04 PM
I just saw this thread. I only live 15 minutes away. I have never seen live racing but have been to the race book a few times. A walk back in time, like a 70's Twilight Zone. Maybe I will make a last visit next week for the Belmont. I know the card rooms are popular and I imagine they will try to relocate somewhere else

VeryOldMan
06-03-2016, 08:08 PM
it was a nice little distraction from Suffolk Downs...and Wonderland Park... :lol:

Wow - I remember the great racers at Wonderland back in "the day" and snuck into Suffolk Downs with friends when we were underage. Good times :)

lamboguy
06-03-2016, 08:19 PM
Wow - I remember the great racers at Wonderland back in "the day" and snuck into Suffolk Downs with friends when we were underage. Good times :)do you remember the dogs STANO and SURE LILLY?