PDA

View Full Version : Is Twitter Good for Horse Racing ?

doctorwin
05-26-2016, 11:09 AM
It was funny to listen to Jason Beem defend Michelle Beadle on the Bet America Barn show this morning. I'm not on Twitter anymore but I guess that she got some criticism about anti horse racing comments she had made.

What makes this funny is that Beem and his Twitter friends were some of most critical people on Twitter. They would criticize almost anybody who had accomplished anything in racing. They have toned down a bit now that Beem takes a paycheck from the industry.

This leads to a bigger topic is Twitter good for horse racing?

P.S. It was super cool that Beem mentioned Barry "The Sniper" Spears. He's a contest player and one of the coolest guys in the racing world. Some day everybody will know Barry and his podcast will be informative and entertaining.

Doctor Win

Shelby
05-26-2016, 11:26 AM
I love Twitter because I get fast information whether it be about horses, weather, crime etc. I would say it's good for horse racing.

Here are the tweets from M. Beadle:

Michelle Beadle ‏@MichelleDBeadle May 21
Didn't like it before I covered it. Didn't like it when I covered it. Don't like it now. #HorseracingSucks
93 retweets 510 likes
Reply Retweet 93
Like 510
More

I guess the horses are 'athletes' until they die. Then they're 'just animals.' Imagine if two baseball players died today. #HorseracingSucks
-------------------------

I used to follow her on Twitter. I unfollowed some time ago. I do remember during a Breeder's Cup day or maybe it was Derby day that she said she loved being there and loved racing so either she was lying or she changed her mind.

Tall One
05-26-2016, 11:38 AM
I think it is. Just like with all forms of social media, there are good and bad parts. Depends on who you follow, circuit, etc..but i stick with the people I respect, and leave the rest alone.

Im not touting him because he posts here, but Serling is a great follow. Not just for on the track, but he's a pretty sharp dude. Richie Migliore as well..hell all the NYRA folks bring a lot to the twitter machine. :ThmbUp:

johnhannibalsmith
05-26-2016, 11:39 AM
Anything that tries to limit the number of characters just can't possibly quite jive with racing.

MonmouthParkJoe
05-26-2016, 11:41 AM
I have yet to fully embrace twitter. For informational purposes I do think it has its place. I have a few problems with it.

Due to the need we have developed for instant news and the idea that our opinion on things need to be heard :D, it seems there is very little original content, just the same things retweeted. Since news breaks so fast it seems like some people want to jump on things without fact checking and it spreads like wildfire. It can create a firestorm within minutes even if it isnt warranted in the first place. Add to that it creates a virtual record of everything you say. Knee jerk responses that would have never come out had the person thought it over in the first place have become the norm.

It is here to stay. Social media has its pros and cons, and anyone with an internet connection can become a "celebrity" overnight. Just need to rethink things before sounding off and the impact it could have down the road.

ronsmac
05-26-2016, 12:26 PM
I love Twitter because I get fast information whether it be about horses, weather, crime etc. I would say it's good for horse racing.

Here are the tweets from M. Beadle:

Didn't like it before I covered it. Didn't like it when I covered it. Don't like it now. #HorseracingSucks
93 retweets 510 likes
Reply Retweet 93
Like 510
More

I guess the horses are 'athletes' until they die. Then they're 'just animals.' Imagine if two baseball players died today. #HorseracingSucks
-------------------------

I used to follow her on Twitter. I unfollowed some time ago. I do remember during a Breeder's Cup day or maybe it was Derby day that she said she loved being there and loved racing so either she was lying or she changed her mind.I love racing and I love Beadle. Generally I do think racing is sort of cruel, but my love for it makes me a bit of a hypocrite. I'd say I have a lot more love for the racing than the actual horses. What she's saying does have some truth to it.

cj
05-26-2016, 01:01 PM
It was funny to listen to Jason Beem defend Michelle Beadle on the Bet America Barn show this morning. I'm not on Twitter anymore but I guess that she got some criticism about anti horse racing comments she had made.

What makes this funny is that Beem and his Twitter friends were some of most critical people on Twitter. They would criticize almost anybody who had accomplished anything in racing. They have toned down a bit now that Beem takes a paycheck from the industry.

P.S. It was super cool that Beem mentioned Barry "The Sniper" Spears. He's a contest player and one of the coolest guys in the racing world. Some day everybody will know Barry and his podcast will be informative and entertaining.

Doctor Win

Jason Beem is the last guy I would say that is critical of people that have accomplished something in racing. He is literally the polar opposite of that.

the little guy
05-26-2016, 01:10 PM
Jason Beem is the last guy I would say that is critical of people that have accomplished something in racing. He is literally the polar opposite of that.

There's little I find more ridiculous than people on the internet accusing people incorrectly and then making statements like "they don't do it anymore now that they are paid by........"

That's nothing more than passive aggressive slander.

doctorwin
05-26-2016, 01:44 PM
Yes Jason Beem is the person who posted a picture of Zayat riding AP after the Triple Crown victory. What positive influence is that?

PaceAdvantage
05-26-2016, 01:51 PM
Yes Jason Beem is the person who posted a picture of Zayat riding AP after the Triple Crown victory. What positive influence is that?Never seen said picture, but perhaps he was trying to be humorous?

doctorwin
05-26-2016, 01:55 PM
Yes I get that. I didn't find it funny and neither did the Zayat's who blocked his account.

Redboard
05-26-2016, 01:58 PM
@DickJerardi & @DRFPrivman are my only racing guys.

doctorwin
05-26-2016, 02:01 PM
If I get a chance to go back I'll check them out.

PaceAdvantage
05-26-2016, 02:01 PM
Yes I get that. I didn't find it funny and neither did the Zayat's who blocked his account.You would think being in this game as long and as deep as they are, their skin would be a tad thicker and their sense of humor a bit more lenient...

Again, I haven't seen this picture, so maybe it was worse than I imagine.

no breathalyzer
05-26-2016, 02:06 PM
twitter makes people feel important or detracts them enough that they forget they are a losing horse player :D .. I have found a couple of feeds i really enjoy.. also been blocked by people that can't handle the truth.. One thing that sucks about twitter is the overload of trolls

doctorwin
05-26-2016, 02:08 PM
The fact that over 90% of the main players that actually deal with horses aren't on Twitter says something. I actually thing that having more accomplished industry people on Twitter would be a positive thing.

Doctor Win

Valuist
05-26-2016, 02:14 PM
One solution: don't follow Michelle Beadle. And if you are, unfollow her.

As for her, she isn't as funny or attractive as she thinks.

cj
05-26-2016, 02:15 PM
Yes Jason Beem is the person who posted a picture of Zayat riding AP after the Triple Crown victory. What positive influence is that?

Jason makes light-hearted of fun of everyone, but mostly himself. What possible harm is there in that picture? If that kind of thing offends somebody Twitter probably isn't for that person.

There are a lot of creeps on Twitter. Horse racing Twitter has a fair share like every other sport. But Jason Beem isn't one of them and never has been. If you don't like someone, block them or mute them---problems solved.

cj
05-26-2016, 02:16 PM

Many obviously think she is or she wouldn't be so successful.

cj
05-26-2016, 02:18 PM
The fact that over 90% of the main players that actually deal with horses aren't on Twitter says something. I actually thing that having more accomplished industry people on Twitter would be a positive thing.

Doctor Win

The reason, IMO, that 90% of the main players (I'm sure you made that up, but let us pretend it is accurate) is that they are older than the vast majority that use Twitter. There are plenty of very successful people in the business on Twitter from jockeys to trainers to owners to track executives and other employees. They do just fine and enjoy it best I can tell.

doctorwin
05-26-2016, 02:19 PM
Im not talking about fans. I'm talking about trainers, jocks and breeders. Not many are active users. Many have told me it's a waste of time.

cj
05-26-2016, 02:27 PM
Im not talking about fans. I'm talking about trainers, jocks and breeders. Not many are active users. Many have told me it's a waste of time.

I specifically said trainers, owners, and jockeys. I've seen plenty breeders as well.

Maybe it is a waste of time if you are already successful, like Todd Pletcher for example. But guys like Clement, McLaughlin, Irad Ortiz and Danny Caldwell are hardly small timers. They do a good job on Twitter and help grow the sport.

doctorwin
05-26-2016, 02:30 PM
I'll stand by my 90% number there are a few hundred jocks and trainers and a few thousand trainers. Just my opinion.

doctorwin
05-26-2016, 02:31 PM
That's a few thousand owners.

cj
05-26-2016, 02:36 PM
I'll stand by my 90% number there are a few hundred jocks and trainers and a few thousand trainers. Just my opinion.

They are missing out. The true big names in the game that are on Twitter are mostly treated very well as best I can tell and promote the sport. And again, for the buttheads, BLOCK. It is easy.

ronsmac
05-26-2016, 02:59 PM

I think she's just kind of funny but I love how she speaks her mind. She really gave it to Stephen A. when they were beefing about domestic violence. She's a Lebron hater but I still think she's awesome and for her age I think she's good looking.

GatetoWire
05-26-2016, 03:22 PM

Doctor Win

Wrong again "Doctor Win" funny you sound like Stillrilledup. :lol:

Valuist
05-26-2016, 03:23 PM
I think she's just kind of funny but I love how she speaks her mind. She really gave it to Stephen A. when they were beefing about domestic violence. She's a Lebron hater but I still think she's awesome and for her age I think she's good looking.

Physically, she's fine. But she comes across as arrogant, and that makes her more unattractive.

doctorwin
05-26-2016, 03:24 PM
My name is Mark not a Twitter handle.

doctorwin
05-26-2016, 03:25 PM
Why does her attractiveness have anything to do with her opinion? When was the last time somebody discounted your opinion because of your appearance?

Doctor Win

Valuist
05-26-2016, 03:37 PM
Why does her attractiveness have anything to do with her opinion? When was the last time somebody discounted your opinion because of your appearance?

Doctor Win

Are you talking to me or Ronsmac? I can only speak for myself, and no, I'm not on a nationally televised channel so nobody cares what I look like. One's opinion is more closely scrutinized when they are in the pubic eye.

What we (racing) don't need is people like her with their negative opinions on the sport.

doctorwin
05-26-2016, 03:42 PM
We also don't need men who disregard women's opinions because of their looks.

Grits
05-26-2016, 03:55 PM
You would think being in this game as long and as deep as they are, their skin would be a tad thicker and their sense of humor a bit more lenient...

Again, I haven't seen this picture, so maybe it was worse than I imagine.

Doctorwin, you're new to Pace Advantage. Welcome, enjoy your time here. I think you have some good points, but too, others have as well, which is always the case at P.A.

Jason is here. He's vastly talented, still, none of us, certainly myself, are not without our questionable moments. Regardless what we do, or who we work for.

In the interest of fairness. I'll share this. I have no clue regarding a photo. I don't pay much attention. Still, I did see, a few days ago, a tweet by Jason that occurred regarding a scholarship reportedly funded by the Zayats. Friends (followers?) of Jason piled on. All was cute, taking shots, unfortunately, that is ...until Justin Zayat responded to the tweet. The reversals came rushing 'bout like you'd expect of cheap speed.

I like this place 1000% better. Too, as the industry goes, in addition to here, there's more solid sites to get one's info. Twitter, unlike other places, have reported jockeys dead. When they weren't. :lol:

There's one person, in this industry, on Twitter who totally understands the platform and has command of it. Too, he doesn't live there. He's a professional. Everyday.

Serling knows the tenets:

1. To show up.

2. To speak up.

3. Then, shut up.

(We're not friends, we don't talk, visit, etc, none of this is a plug for NYRA. If I've embarrassed him I apologize in advance. I respect him.)

doctorwin
05-26-2016, 03:59 PM
I always enjoyed listening to Serling. He gives much more to the sport than he takes from it. However I don't like when he goes after jocks when he loses money on them. Everybody has a bad day, including him. I would have no problem with him if he could work on the personal attacks.

Doctor Win

Grits
05-26-2016, 04:09 PM
Please, remain on task. My comment on A.Serling isn't meant as a deference for the thread. Just my opinion. There are many good comments here. ;)

I always enjoyed listening to Serling. He gives much more to the sport than he takes from it. However I don't like when he goes after jocks when he loses money on them. Everybody has a bad day, including him. I would have no problem with him if he could work on the personal attacks.

Doctor Win

cj
05-26-2016, 04:10 PM

Doctor Win

Analysts analyze performance. If Troy Aikman has a bad day in the booth is he not allowed to criticize a bad pass by Aaron Rogers?

Valuist
05-26-2016, 04:13 PM
We also don't need men who disregard women's opinions because of their looks.

Unless, of course, their looks is what got them the job to express those opinions. I've seen plenty of comments on boards about her, how she's hot, etc, etc, etc.. Lots of guys are apparently attracted to her.

But I don't think I have ever heard anyone say they watch her because of the way she breaks down an NFL game, NBA game, MLB, or racing for that matter.

doctorwin
05-26-2016, 04:16 PM
Nobody will ever convince me that they pay Michelle Beadle or anyone $600 K because their pretty.

Doctor Win

ronsmac
05-26-2016, 04:35 PM
Nobody will ever convince me that they pay Michelle Beadle or anyone $600 K because their pretty.

Doctor Win
I have to disagree. The good looking sideline reporter has been around for years. Lisa Guerrero was strictly about looks not her knowledge of the nfl. Fox used to have a woman in their pregame show that was obviously about her looks and sexy banter with howie and the guys. Jillian Barberie maybe? It sells

therussmeister
05-26-2016, 04:50 PM
Anything that tries to limit the number of characters just can't possibly quite jive with racing.
Because racing has an abundance of characters.

cj
05-26-2016, 05:14 PM
I have to disagree. The good looking sideline reporter has been around for years. Lisa Guerrero was strictly about looks not her knowledge of the nfl. Fox used to have a woman in their pregame show that was obviously about her looks and sexy banter with howie and the guys. Jillian Barberie maybe? It sells

I can go back to Jayne Kennedy and before that even Phyllis George.

cordep17
05-26-2016, 05:43 PM
The Twitter world makes criminals of someone who takes a step out of bounds with their word choice, it's not going to be hard to imagine what will happen when those who control information think they have the leverage to have the life victory of being one of the people, at least in their mind, that brought an end to some horrible atrocity they had never even thought twice about because they spotted a winning, 21st century bandwagon and jumped on. When it comes it'll come fast, and that's why I want reform now. Reform before its demanded is a lot more indisputable and would help to keep that bandwagon from leaving the station in the first place. Blur the moral lines before the people who only know horse racing for its negatives get to talking to all of the people who haven't known a positive or negative of the sport and would never have been our target audience. Once that happens, the when rather than if clock will tick. Go win the world over by instigating the change the sport needs to see before the writing is on the wall.

I'm fully aware that the sport will not last and this recommendation is never reality.

Are you talking to me or Ronsmac? I can only talk for myself, and no, I'm not on a nationally televised channel so nobody cares what I look like. One's opinion is more closely scrutinized when they are in the pubic eye.

What we (racing) don't need is people like her with their negative opinions on the sport.

A strange way to look at it all around. Get mad at disinformation rather than dissenters. "their negative opinions of the sport" is not the problem, the problem is the reality of those opinions...plus, the side with the gross, degenerate men criticizing the looks of the people who are concerned about the welfare of the animals probably won't garner the kind of support you'd need to win the public's mind.

cutchemist42
05-26-2016, 06:59 PM
I love racing and I love Beadle. Generally I do think racing is sort of cruel, but my love for it makes me a bit of a hypocrite. I'd say I have a lot more love for the racing than the actual horses. What she's saying does have some truth to it.

Im not sure I really understand her comment. The horses are athletes that sadly die sometimes. I know the rate of horse deaths is much much higher, but humans die in this sport as well as others.

I sometimes struggle with racing, but Im not sure how "cruel" it is. I think much more of the aftercare stuff is truly cruel.

Valuist
05-26-2016, 07:07 PM
The Twitter world makes criminals of someone who takes a step out of bounds with their word choice, it's not going to be hard to imagine what will happen when those who control information think they have the leverage to have the life victory of being one of the people, at least in their mind, that brought an end to some horrible atrocity they had never even thought twice about because they spotted a winning, 21st century bandwagon and jumped on. When it comes it'll come fast, and that's why I want reform now. Reform before its demanded is a lot more indisputable and would help to keep that bandwagon from leaving the station in the first place. Blur the moral lines before the people who only know horse racing for its negatives get to talking to all of the people who haven't known a positive or negative of the sport and would never have been our target audience. Once that happens, the when rather than if clock will tick. Go win the world over by instigating the change the sport needs to see before the writing is on the wall.

I'm fully aware that the sport will not last and this recommendation is never reality.

A strange way to look at it all around. Get mad at disinformation rather than dissenters. "their negative opinions of the sport" is not the problem, the problem is the reality of those opinions...plus, the side with the gross, degenerate men criticizing the looks of the people who are concerned about the welfare of the animals probably won't garner the kind of support you'd need to win the public's mind.

Disinformation? Homeboykris died of a heart attack. I guess if he spent his whole life in a petting zoo it never would've happened.

ronsmac
05-26-2016, 08:14 PM
I see that a horse died in the first race at Churchill. I saw it on twitter. So getting back to the original question. Maybe twitter isn't good for horse racing.

horses4courses
05-26-2016, 08:19 PM
I see that a horse died in the first race at Churchill. I saw it on twitter. So getting back to the original question. Maybe twitter isn't good for horse racing.

....and that might be because the truth would be a little less widespread?

Redbullsnation
05-26-2016, 09:38 PM
Beadle is an idiot and has always been an idiot. It has nothing to do with Twitter. Just plain simple idiotic people over there. Twitter is awesome for the sport. It's awesome for any sport

doctorwin
05-26-2016, 09:55 PM
Churchill Downs is the same track where a trainer punched a horse on live TV and didn't receive any punishment.

cutchemist42
05-26-2016, 10:35 PM
Deep down, I think horse racing is lucky the public doesnt likely know how many horses really die from the sport, and how many truly understand the aftercare situation.

doctorwin
05-26-2016, 10:53 PM
You can say that again.

classhandicapper
05-26-2016, 11:08 PM
Twitter is a good vehicle for instant racing news and interesting videos and photos. I'm not so sure how much value there is handicapping information that was just publicly broadcast and retweeted to thousands of gamblers that follow each other. I'd be more apt to use it to find consensus opinions I think are wrong.

jballscalls
05-27-2016, 12:22 AM

Doctor Win

Doctor Win,

I agree Barry is fantastic and is one of the nicest guys ever.

Now to the rest of your post. I've had to block you on twitter now multiple times. First your original account, which I didn't enjoy communicating with you, so I blocked you. Then you posted under an anonymous account which quickly became obvious it was you, so I blocked that one. Then you followed me again when you rejoined recently and I blocked that one. You clearly have never gotten my sense of humor and don't enjoy me in general, so I just don't understand why you keep showing up and interacting with me or talking about me in any ways. So now you're here. Which is fine and great and I'm sure you'll add much to the community. All I ask is please don't interact with or mention me. I don't mention you and don't plan to. I can't make you do anything, but just asking. It's honestly at the point of making me very uncomfortable.

I'll attach a link to the photo of Ahmed riding AP. I do a fake awards show on twitter called the Beemie Awards each year and we have a "red" carpet. The picture was of Ahmed riding AP on the red carpet. There wasn't even a snarky comment to go with the picture. Literally just said "Here's TC winner American Pharoah and his owner Ahmed Zayat". Most people found it funny. Clearly you didn't. Maybe Ahmed didn't. which again, is fine. Lots of stuff I say and do on there isn't funny. I'm on there to try and have fun and talk about something I enjoy, horse racing. There's a tiny fraction of horse racing people who follow me on twitter and/or listen to my show. Hopefully those who do enjoy it.

As far as toning it down since I "get a paycheck" I've gotten a paycheck in horse racing for a decade now and I still tweet and talk the same way I always have. If people deem me bad for the sport, I'm sure i'll be out of it soon enough. My anxiety and depression have kind of killed my announcing career, I'm sure they'll eventually do the same to any other career and maybe even to myself. It's something I'm working on everyday. Trying to function.

But I think Anyone who knows me knows i'm not malicious at all. Poke fun, sure. You clearly don't get my sense of humor, so i'm flabbergasted as to why you continually follow and/or listen.

https://twitter.com/BeemieAwards/status/736048591307821057

johnhannibalsmith
05-27-2016, 12:38 AM
Geez, I was expecting a Lady Godiva type shot of him cropped onto one of those flabby celebrities caught on the beach by paparazzi. I always feel so left out of these offended events.

doctorwin
05-27-2016, 12:58 AM
No Jason I don't get your sense of humor at all. One thing you should know is I follow Bet America because I have an ADW account there. Another thing I changed my Twitter account because somebody from Twitter traveled to my home track and physically confronted me. Finally I followed you and some of your followers because your jury member "sam sam the syrup man" still uses some form of my photo as his Twitter pic a full three years after I made it very clear that he should leave me alone. This all started when I had the audacity to call the Rainbow 6 a sucker bet. Since then I have been called everything from a pedophile to a murderer. This makes me aware of what's it's like to be harassed via Twitter so Jason I'll honor your request not to mention you again but be aware you'll always be known by the company you keep.

castaway01
05-27-2016, 08:21 AM
No Jason I don't get your sense of humor at all. One thing you should know is I follow Bet America because I have an ADW account there. Another thing I changed my Twitter account because somebody from Twitter traveled to my home track and physically confronted me. Finally I followed you and some of your followers because your jury member "sam sam the syrup man" still uses some form of my photo as his Twitter pic a full three years after I made it very clear that he should leave me alone. This all started when I had the audacity to call the Rainbow 6 a sucker bet. Since then I have been called everything from a pedophile to a murderer. This makes me aware of what's it's like to be harassed via Twitter so Jason I'll honor your request not to mention you again but be aware you'll always be known by the company you keep.

If you were offended by the picture Jason posted (which was totally harmless), you're stalking him on Twitter where he has to repeatedly block you, and you're so obnoxious that you've got people travelling long distances to beat you up, you might be the one who is at fault rather than the victim, er, person you're stalking, er, Jason.

TheGarMan
05-27-2016, 08:58 AM
@DickJerardi & @DRFPrivman are my only racing guys.

For some reason, I really like Dick Jerardi. His writing style is awesome :)

(He also does some decent NCAA Basketball work)

ubercapper
05-27-2016, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by doctorwin

CJ said:
"Analysts analyze performance. If Troy Aikman has a bad day in the booth is he not allowed to criticize a bad pass by Aaron Rogers?"

I think doctorwin was referring to Serling going off on people on twitter who were inappropriate rather than ignoring and/or just blocking them. He's toned that down a lot in the past year or so.

classhandicapper
05-27-2016, 11:20 AM
The downside of twitter and I guess most forms of social media is that it's a breeding ground for personal and professional conflict, ego clashing, name calling, jealousy, and other stuff we'd all be better off without.

doctorwin
05-27-2016, 11:24 AM
Im glad the criminal justice system disagreed with you.

tanner12oz
05-27-2016, 12:08 PM
i use twitter a lot to check up on horses that get pulled up or incidents. typically simulcast and tv just turn the page. on twitter you can actually get some updates

Tall One
05-27-2016, 12:33 PM
Agreed, tanner..TravisVox, and formerly DRFGrening, were both very quick in replying back to my tweets regarding the condition of Captain Serious when he went down back in January--he was alright, and is back in training now :ThmbUp:--so, in this particular regard, it's very handy. Chad Brown, Tom Morley, someone mentioned Mr Clement earlier, and Kiarin McLaughlin are all very good about getting back with you with basic/general tweets. Zilla Stables, seem to be a nice group of owners as well.

Social medias, Twitter, Facebook, etc, are either as good or bad as you want them to be.

no breathalyzer
05-27-2016, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by doctorwin

CJ said:
"Analysts analyze performance. If Troy Aikman has a bad day in the booth is he not allowed to criticize a bad pass by Aaron Rogers?"

I think doctorwin was referring to Serling going off on people on twitter who were inappropriate rather than ignoring and/or just blocking them. He's toned that down a lot in the past year or so.

He blocked me for no reason sissy move.. guess i'm not allowed to follow people he doesn't like :confused: truth hurts i guess

ronsmac
05-27-2016, 01:08 PM
He blocked me for no reason sissy move.. guess i'm not allowed to follow people he doesn't like :confused: truth hurts i guessBeing blocked by someone is better than dealing with tough talking internet gangsters. I'm not talking about anyone specifically. The intetnet makes people rude, tough and turns them into bullies. Most would piss themselves if they actually had a confrontation with someone in person.

cj
05-27-2016, 01:18 PM
CJ said:

Well this is what he said:

However I don't like when he goes after jocks when he loses money on them. Everybody has a bad day, including him.

He specifically mentioned him doing his job. He basically said the analyst shouldn't analyze. He also made up the fact that he does it because he lost money on them. Andy calls out a ride he thinks is strategically poor on horses he has selected and horses he has not. And just because it is his selection doesn't mean he bet on a horse.

whodoyoulike
05-27-2016, 05:57 PM
Before I have any interaction with doctorwin on here and apparently he's known in the industry, just who is this guy?

the little guy
05-28-2016, 11:20 PM
Agreed, tanner..TravisVox, and formerly DRFGrening, were both very quick in replying back to my tweets regarding the condition of Captain Serious when he went down back in January--he was alright, and is back in training now :ThmbUp:--so, in this particular regard, it's very handy. Chad Brown, Tom Morley, someone mentioned Mr Clement earlier, and Kiarin McLaughlin are all very good about getting back with you with basic/general tweets. Zilla Stables, seem to be a nice group of owners as well.

Social medias, Twitter, Facebook, etc, are either as good or bad as you want them to be.

Chad does not have a Twitter account.

Tall One
05-28-2016, 11:38 PM
Chad does not have a Twitter account.

Reading is indeed our friend. Thanks for obviously bringing this to my attention.

Jeez, just when you think you've hit the big time, it's really a parody..and to think I wished that account best of luck with the firster out of an Easy Goer mare couple Sundays ago.

the little guy
05-28-2016, 11:52 PM
Reading is indeed our friend. Thanks for obviously bringing this to my attention.

Jeez, just when you think you've hit the big time, it's really a parody..and to think I wished that account best of luck with the firster out of an Easy Goer mare couple Sundays ago.

Those parody accounts are disgraceful for this very reason.

His assistant, Cherie DeVaux, has an account...@reredevaux.

Zaf
05-29-2016, 12:50 AM
I like Twitter, love the info that TLG and Tom Quigley share with the public. Jason Beem's podcast is very entertaining. Maybe some people don't have a sense of humor :confused:

Z

ultracapper
05-29-2016, 06:32 PM
Before I have any interaction with doctorwin on here and apparently he's known in the industry, just who is this guy?

That poster had the smell of a troll early on.

whodoyoulike
05-29-2016, 06:44 PM
That poster had the smell of a troll early on.

I asked the question because he said someone went and confronted him at a track from something he tweeted. And, Jason has blocked him a couple of times because he came back as a different person which means to me he knows who he is.

I don't use twitter but, I would think if someone blocks you it's because he doesn't want further contact but if you insist you're just like you said trolling.

doctorwin
05-29-2016, 08:42 PM
I have been a racing fan and horse owner for over 30 years. The main reason I posted this thread is because I think a lot of potential fans are driven away from the sport by certain people on Twitter. I believe that the combination of pathology and anonymity is a dangerous combination both for any individuals involved and the sport itself. My personal story is irrelevant but all I really want is to be left alone. I guess it really bothers me to see people that propagate this harassment being awarded with high visibility positions in our industry. Happily for every one jerk there are many nice people. Racing faces many challenges in the next decade and I personally believe that it's best that industry spokespeople are sane, honest and articulate. If this makes me a troll then back under the bridge I go. I have been lucky enough to enjoy horse racing for over 30 years. I hope everybody that reads this is able to do the same.

Doctor Win

thespaah
06-01-2016, 06:00 PM
twitter makes people feel important or detracts them enough that they forget they are a losing horse player :D .. I have found a couple of feeds i really enjoy.. also been blocked by people that can't handle the truth.. One thing that sucks about twitter is the overload of trolls
ALL forms of social media are dens for trolls.
Anonymity gives people a lot of courage.
Courage they would not normally express but for that anonymity.
We call them trolls.

VeryOldMan
06-01-2016, 06:13 PM
ALL forms of social media are dens for trolls.
Anonymity gives people a lot of courage.
Courage they would not normally express but for that anonymity.
We call them trolls.
Testify.

I've disagreed with TLG here at times, but he is "out there" on Twitter, so to speak. One of the best Twitter posters re horse racing. Posts his picks, etc. re the biggest racing scene (NYRA) in the country. Twitter should be an avenue for this hidebound sport, but . . . .

ubercapper
06-03-2016, 10:28 AM
They are missing out. The true big names in the game that are on Twitter are mostly treated very well as best I can tell and promote the sport. And again, for the buttheads, BLOCK. It is easy.

I'll second that. I've had to block 3 people in over 5 years. Up to almost 6K followers. Nearly every convo is courteous. In short, I love twitter for discussing races and racing, good and bad. The brevity of it makes being succinct a must and there's little downside to that IMO.

DeanT
06-04-2016, 10:38 AM
Maybe it is a waste of time if you are already successful, like Todd Pletcher for example. But guys like Clement, McLaughlin, Irad Ortiz and Danny Caldwell are hardly small timers. They do a good job on Twitter and help grow the sport.

I think a lot of the trainers in the sport - the sport's participants in general - are great on twitter.

I remember one time, I just typed after he won a race, "McLaughlin's horses always look sound and happy. Nice win". I guess he saw it somehow and replied. These guys and gals work hard, and if their horse wins and you share it with them (if you bet, or didn't bet), some are happy to chat a bit. That's good for the game.

If you're negative, well, that's on you. But most, imo, are generally really good.