PDA

View Full Version : Nyquist out of Belmont

depalma113
05-24-2016, 10:56 AM
Nyquist will not race in the Belmont.

Sinner369
05-24-2016, 11:13 AM
Nyquist will not race in the Belmont.

I read that the horse has some kind of fever but did they make it official that he will not race?

Is there a link?

AirNate012
05-24-2016, 11:33 AM
Dave Grening from DRF confirmed this. Fever has slightly returned and has high elevated white blood cell count. Will return to Cali to rest.

Fager Fan
05-24-2016, 11:35 AM
It's at the BH too.

I'm glad he's out. I think they were trying to be sporting but I couldn't see how it was best for the colt to race in the Belmont after this hard-fought race, and I really like this horse.

woodbinepmi
05-24-2016, 11:45 AM
http://www.drf.com/news/nyquist-out-belmont-high-white-cell-count

Most likely the stress of the early pace.

linrom1
05-24-2016, 12:00 PM
I doubt we will ever see NYQUIST. Reddam is a 'blood sucker', he'll milk NYQUIST for breeding fees and can't risk another loss. I still don't know what happened to I'll Have Another?

After all this is the guy that milks low income people with exorbitant fees for 'micro loans' from people who are desperate. Reddam is a classic leach, why does the guy associate with a shady trainer Like O'Niell? There are many 'classy' 'trainers in S Cal.

Robert Fischer
05-24-2016, 12:11 PM
I'm glad he's out. I think they were trying to be sporting but I couldn't see how it was best for the colt to race in the Belmont after this hard-fought race, and I really like this horse.

agreed

castaway01
05-24-2016, 12:18 PM
I doubt we will ever see NYQUIST. Reddam is a 'blood sucker', he'll milk NYQUIST for breeding fees and can't risk another loss. I still don't know what happened to I'll Have Another?

He was syndicated to Japan's Big Red Farm.

Redboard
05-24-2016, 12:57 PM
The colt needs a rest, so be it.

The upside is that there's plenty of tickets available. I see there's grandstand ticks for $30 and that will probably fall as we get closer to the date.

For the serious fan, it's one of the best cards of the year, at least it was last year with nine graded stakes plus a few N2Xs thrown in. The turf course is probably the best in the country.

f2tornado
05-24-2016, 01:21 PM
Good for the horse. I don't think he had a chance and needed the rest. Bad for the wagering public. The horse still would have took good money, albeit more like 3-1 versus 3/5.

Lemon Drop Husker
05-24-2016, 01:37 PM
The colt needs a rest, so be it.

The upside is that there's plenty of tickets available. I see there's grandstand ticks for $30 and that will probably fall as we get closer to the date.

For the serious fan, it's one of the best cards of the year, at least it was last year with nine graded stakes plus a few N2Xs thrown in. The turf course is probably the best in the country.

Looks to be another sensational card.

G1 Belmont Stakes
G1 Met Mile
G1 Manhattan Stakes
G1 Ogden Phipps
G1 Longines Just a Game
G1 Acorn

G2 Woody Stephens
G2 Brooklyn Invitational
G3 Jaipur

$150K Easy Goer

http://www.belmontstakes.com/schedule.aspx

Might not have the incredible fields like last year, but it won't be for not trying.

Fager Fan
05-24-2016, 01:38 PM

After all this is the guy that milks low income people with exorbitant fees for 'micro loans' from people who are desperate. Reddam is a classic leach, why does the guy associate with a shady trainer Like O'Niell? There are many 'classy' 'trainers in S Cal.

Is there a rolling eyes icon?

I get sick of reading this crap. First, the horse's breeding rights were sold before the Ky Derby, so no, he's not going to retire and shop him around. Second, when are people going to buy a clue and understand that the ONLY reason your retire so early in the year is when the horse is injured and won't make it back in time. Hell, even one subpar effort isn't going to scare anyone into thinking they'd get more money by retiring now than risking another subpar effort. And for the sake of this argument, the horse didn't embarrass himself but instead ran gutsy.

Announcement: The breeding shed doesn't open until next Feb. No one including the farm that stands him wants a horse going out so long before the shed opens - out of sight, out of mind. And there's a lot more racing to add to the resume and purse account.

Quit acting like Chicken Little.

RXB
05-24-2016, 03:52 PM
Good for the horse. I don't think he had a chance and needed the rest. Bad for the wagering public. The horse still would have took good money, albeit more like 3-1 versus 3/5.

Yeah but I wanted him in the race this time to bet against him! Very questionable as to how well he'd handle those extra two furlongs.

My odds guess would've been closer to 3/2, depending on exactly who and how many came to challenge him.

linrom1
05-24-2016, 03:52 PM
If NYQUIST races again, I'll be wrong;however, Reddam is nothing but a sociopathic sleazebag praying on desperate borrowers.

As soon as the PREAKNESS was over, I knew that NYQUIST would never race again...not that Baffert connections would act differently.

It is what it is, horse racing industry is in a breeding bubble completely disconnected form the fundamentals of racing horses.

TheGarMan
05-24-2016, 04:17 PM

Exactly what I was thinking.. We all want what's best for the horse, but my own selfish side needed him to make the gate to "take money" while I looked for the 12/1 that will win the race. :)

Fager Fan
05-24-2016, 04:20 PM
If NYQUIST races again, I'll be wrong;however, Reddam is nothing but a sociopathic sleazebag praying on desperate borrowers.

As soon as the PREAKNESS was over, I knew that NYQUIST would never race again...not that Baffert connections would act differently.

It is what it is, horse racing industry is in a breeding bubble completely disconnected form the fundamentals of racing horses.

Baffert connections did act differently. They continued to race a horse after winning the TC, when all the predictions were that such a horse would retire immediately.

I'm trying to point out that it goes against common sense to think a horse retires mid year for no physical reason. First, if the horse has already been sold for breeding, then the contracts have kickers. In addition to possible purse money, they get additional money for wins in big races (which are specified). The owner has everything to gain by continuing to run and nothing to lose. They don't deduct from the sales price for losses.

Additionally, the stud farm wants him to win more big races to add to his resume. They want Eclipse statues to aid in their selling of seasons. They also don't want a horse to go out early as then his accomplishments go cold.

The exception is if a horse starts running so poorly that it's hurting his value. He's looking like a fluke instead of an exceptional horse. There is little concern about that with this horse. If he runs up the track in his next 2-3 starts, then they may talk of retiring, that he's not the same and now hurting his value.

Fager Fan
05-24-2016, 04:23 PM
PS: I have no opinion on quick loans and pawn shops. Yes, they prey on the poor. I wouldn't have such a business. It'd depress me. But I could argue that these people may need such loans to pay their rent and such, and where would they be without the loan? I thought the gov regulates the interest rate so it's not as terrible as it used to be.

castaway01
05-24-2016, 07:06 PM
Looks to be another sensational card.

G1 Belmont Stakes
G1 Met Mile
G1 Manhattan Stakes
G1 Ogden Phipps
G1 Longines Just a Game
G1 Acorn

G2 Woody Stephens
G2 Brooklyn Invitational
G3 Jaipur

$150K Easy Goer

http://www.belmontstakes.com/schedule.aspx

Might not have the incredible fields like last year, but it won't be for not trying.

It's always a great card, should be a lot of fun, Nyquist or not.

Tom
05-24-2016, 08:10 PM
Unless it rains, then they can ruin a whole boatload of races.
Too much for one day.
Dilutes the races. Main events are now just under card status.

castaway01
05-24-2016, 09:41 PM
Too much for one day.

Dude, they could bring you the money in a wheelbarrow and you would complain about the color of the wheelbarrow and the denominations of the bills. ;)

clocker7
05-24-2016, 09:55 PM

Wasn't Reddam one of those who committed to a million dollar stake for the GP January Pegasus spectacle? With the race being at 9f, I'd be surprised if a healthy Nyquist isn't in the gate.

Redboard
05-26-2016, 09:46 AM
Too much for one day.

I don’t see rain as a problem —advantage Exaggerator, which sets up a exciting rematch with Nyquist down the line. The big question in everyone’s mind will be, if the Desormeaux brothers split the $100k Parx bonus or will Keith keep it all for himself?

They won’t take any of the stakes races off the turf, they’ll run them, maybe one or two(at most) of the other races scheduled for the turf.

dballard125
05-26-2016, 09:26 PM
It's at the BH too.

Same. Was hoping he wouldn't race anyway. He ran his heart out in the Derby & Preakness.

MargieRose
05-27-2016, 01:22 AM
Wasn't Reddam one of those who committed to a million dollar stake for the GP January Pegasus spectacle? With the race being at 9f, I'd be surprised if a healthy Nyquist isn't in the gate.

This raises a bit of doubt as to just how long Nyquist will be racing...unfortunately. Hope I'm wrong.

"According to comments at the press event, Reddam Racing is willing to sell its starting space at the Pegasus World Cup for a price tag of $2 million."

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/pegasus-world-cup-oversubscribed-reddam-mcingvale-purchase-spots/

Fager Fan
05-27-2016, 07:34 AM
This raises a bit of doubt as to just how long Nyquist will be racing...unfortunately. Hope I'm wrong.

"According to comments at the press event, Reddam Racing is willing to sell its starting space at the Pegasus World Cup for a price tag of $2 million."

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/pegasus-world-cup-oversubscribed-reddam-mcingvale-purchase-spots/

Reddam announced he'd be happy to make a million profit BEFORE the Preakness.

I don't know why people are so quick to peg a horse as retiring. He'll be back, and he'll race as long as it makes sense to do so.

MargieRose
05-27-2016, 08:05 PM
Reddam announced he'd be happy to make a million profit BEFORE the Preakness.

I don't know why people are so quick to peg a horse as retiring. He'll be back, and he'll race as long as it makes sense to do so.

I do hope you are correct.