PDA

View Full Version : Tragedies of the undercard

cordep17
05-22-2016, 03:23 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/05/21/horse-dies-after-winning-first-race-of-preakness-saturday/

Wanted to know thoughts on this. Reading what I read, I know good and decent people are here, and with the depth of racing knowledge I think there's a good discussion to be had about it. To not have one would seem wrong.

Pro: I've been around a few horses when I was young, but my only memory of contact with a horse came at midnight at Grant's farm, where a young Clydesdale ate from my hand over an electric fence and I had a clear understanding that we were equals more than we weren't. My familiarity with horses stops there, but I know the determination and present nature of dogs, and it seems horses may have even more of those qualities. I don't doubt that for a lot, being challenged physically and mentally to be a racehorse is incredibly fulfilling. Life comes and goes, and just because life is in some cases lost doesn't speak to the entirety of the institution it's a part of. The clique that rings true goes something along the lines, "everything dies, but not everything lives," so there is always, and especially in this case, more to the story and the discussion on what that story is for us and them.

Con: I get aggravated with people who get their thrills from these animals as they run their mouths about the respect they have for these smart, complicated animals while they also opt for the generic training method, the kind that keeps them either in a box or lugging your gear out on the track, turning left and turning left a few more times while never seeing the outside of our theatre we've built for them. I'm not certain of the reality of the glue factory joke, but I know it doesn't come from nowhere. Out of sight out of mind for too many I suppose.

I do know that those who take on past racers have quite the challenge on their hands more often than not with horses who know little of being a horse and more about being a running machine. The people who do such work are the ones who have to have the charity in their hearts to bring these horses back from despair of the mind when they reap nothing from the work the horses are born into on the track.

Look back to the high profile Drugging Dutrow and the countless slaps on the wrists, as I imagine is to not alienate the diminishing number committed to the sport. What do we do about those who are willing to mask unsound horses into the ground to make a quick buck who get to say "bad step" and carry on doing more of the same in a game all about winning.

Professional sports have a hard enough time figuring out who's cheating; it seems it would be impossible in horse racing without even considering the conventional wisdom that it's a matter of when it'll only be in history books. There's clearly a don't rock the boat while we get what we can before we accept that we need to update our resumes attitude. Considering professionals have a voice in what they put in their bodies, the current situation goes a lot further than whether the bettor is getting a fair product.

I don't want horses running in pain they don't know they have.

I'll keep it short to start.

Grits
05-22-2016, 07:08 PM
I don't want horses running in pain they don't know they have.

Neither does anyone else at this website. The men and women here have far too much care for horses to feel otherwise. This should be quite evident as it has been longstanding here at Pace Advantage.

I'm sorry, but if you believe you'll find those who want to debate PETA's motives, here, you're in the wrong room. Most PETA members are head cases, scantily clad, plain women who show up dressed inappropiately seeking attention. Usually in bikinis (or less) writing on their bodies. Yeah, that moves the masses!! :rolleyes: How unfortunate that they were chained to trees when they showed up at a biker rally out west, years ago, protesting the wearing of leather. Serves 'em right.

If you want to take on the sport of thoroughbred racing, don't do it with some tramp skank who wants to saddle the barn's leading assistant trainer. Bad move.

And that's all I got to say about this subject. Thank you. EOC :lol:

Greyfox
05-22-2016, 07:16 PM
Neither does anyone else at this website. The men and women here have far too much care for horses to feel otherwise. This should be quite evident as it has been longstanding here at Pace Advantage.

I'm sorry, but if you believe you'll find those who want to debate PETA's motives, here, you're in the wrong room. Most PETA members are head cases, scantily clad, plain women who show up dressed inappropiately seeking attention. Usually in bikinis (or less) writing on their bodies. Yeah, that moves the masses!! :rolleyes: How unfortunate that they were chained to trees when they showed up at a biker rally out west, years ago, protesting the wearing of leather. Serves 'em right.

If you want to take on the sport of thoroughbred racing, don't do it with some tramp skank who wants to saddle the barn's leading assistant trainer. Bad move.

Well said! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

cordep17
05-22-2016, 08:45 PM
Well said! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Hardly

Steve 'StatMan'
05-22-2016, 10:16 PM
Well Said Grits!

Greyfox
05-22-2016, 11:07 PM
Hardly

Grits was pretty clear in what she stated. :ThmbUp:

Ruffian1
05-23-2016, 07:44 AM
Well said Grits !

davew
05-23-2016, 08:45 AM

Do you feel they were born tramp skanks or evolved after involvement with PETA?

Tom
05-23-2016, 09:37 AM
GRITS for President!!! :ThmbUp:

Grits
05-23-2016, 09:49 AM
Do you feel they were born tramp skanks or evolved after involvement with PETA?

Oh goodness, no. Evolved.

For the vets who took care of Homeboykris and Pramedya, I would pay close attention to anyone who comes into my office applying for the job of vet tech.

... This is where PETA excels. Tramp in position. This particular time to gain access to vet records. :rolleyes:

All the respect in the world for the ASPCA...but this crew, none, 0. The world laughs at them.

tholl
05-23-2016, 05:10 PM
Pramedya broke through the gate prior to the start. Was kind of weird, just like Barbaro for the same owner did before breaking down in the Preakness.

I know they have a vet to check them out before going back in the gate but seems they very rarely run well after breaking through. I know that may have nothing to do with the breakdown but have to wonder if an auto scratch should be there.

cutchemist42
05-23-2016, 10:06 PM
Good posts by OP and Grits