PDA

View Full Version : Air safety by the numbers

Tom
05-21-2016, 09:20 AM
95%.......the failure rate for current airport security to detect mock weapons or explosives used to test the system.

Your tax dollars in action.
Typical government incompetence.

PRIVATIZE security. The government cannot hope to compete with professionals who are doing it for a profit.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/investigation-breaches-us-airports-allowed-weapons-through-n367851

This isn't the first time TSA officers have failed to detect fake terrorists and their weapons. "Red Teams" have been probing TSA checkpoints for 13 years, oftentimes successfully getting weapons past airport screeners.

However, this time, TSA agents failed to detect almost every single test bomb and gun, aviation experts said.

tucker6
05-21-2016, 09:23 AM
... but strip search granny. She looks dangerous.

barahona44
05-21-2016, 11:24 AM
95%.......the failure rate for current airport security to detect mock weapons or explosives used to test the system.

Your tax dollars in action.
Typical government incompetence.

PRIVATIZE security. The government cannot hope to compete with professionals who are doing it for a profit.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/investigation-breaches-us-airports-allowed-weapons-through-n367851
On September 11, 2001,19 terrorists managed to board planes in Newark, Boston, Washington and Portland, Maine armed with box cutters.They passed through security conducted by PRIVATE security firms.
Since then?

PaceAdvantage
05-21-2016, 11:26 AM
I couldn't get my water bottle through the checkpoint last year (I accidentally left it in my carry on bag). Never mind a box cutter...

Clocker
05-21-2016, 11:48 AM
On September 11, 2001,19 terrorists managed to board planes in Newark, Boston, Washington and Portland, Maine armed with box cutters.They passed through security conducted by PRIVATE security firms.
Since then?

FAA rules allowed pocket knives and other sharp objects before 9/11. There was no ban on box cutters.

tucker6
05-21-2016, 11:52 AM
At New Orleans airport, I had a golf green ball mark fixer confiscated (1/4 inch tines), but they allowed me to keep the butter knife I accidentally left in my carry on bag.

Saratoga_Mike
05-21-2016, 01:34 PM
...begging the question why do you carry a butter knife with you? :)

tucker6
05-21-2016, 06:25 PM
...begging the question why do you carry a butter knife with you? :)
:D I've been asked that several times. I brought in some pumpkin pie for a staff meeting just before Thanksgiving, and brought the knife in to cut it. I was traveling the next week, and at the 4th airport (New Orleans), they found the butter knife in my briefcase bag. I forgot to take it out, and it fell to the bottom. The funny thing is they inspected it, but said since it had a round end, it was non harmful. But my ball fixer was going to bring down a plane I guess!! One size fits all govt decision.

mostpost
05-24-2016, 12:32 PM
:D I've been asked that several times. I brought in some pumpkin pie for a staff meeting just before Thanksgiving, and brought the knife in to cut it. I was traveling the next week, and at the 4th airport (New Orleans), they found the butter knife in my briefcase bag. I forgot to take it out, and it fell to the bottom. The funny thing is they inspected it, but said since it had a round end, it was non harmful. But my ball fixer was going to bring down a plane I guess!! One size fits all govt decision.
I don't play golf so I don't know what a ball fixer is or how dangerous it looks. But, regardless of whether it was the TSA or a private security firm, that decision was made by an individual on site and may have been different at another location. It is disingenuous to call it a government decision.

Tom
05-24-2016, 12:41 PM
I don't play golf so I don't know what a ball fixer is or how dangerous it looks. But, regardless of whether it was the TSA or a private security firm, that decision was made by an individual on site and may have been different at another location. It is disingenuous to call it a government decision.

Government controls the TSA, so it is a government decision to allow the discrepancies to exist.

Clocker
05-24-2016, 01:18 PM
Government controls the TSA, so it is a government decision to allow the discrepancies to exist.

There is no evidence that it was a discrepancy. Someone who doesn't know what a ball fixer is, and doesn't know what the TSA rules are, says it wasn't a government decision? :rolleyes:

tucker6
05-24-2016, 01:23 PM
Your excuses for all things government controlled crossed over the line to pathetic long ago. Why not just have one statement about how great govt is for us that you can copy/paste into every thread to save yourself the trouble of typing?

tucker6
05-24-2016, 01:24 PM
There is no evidence that it was a discrepancy. Someone who doesn't know what a ball fixer is, and doesn't know what the TSA rules are, says it wasn't a government decision? :rolleyes:
It wasn't a discrepancy. It was a rule at the time.

Clocker
05-24-2016, 01:51 PM
It wasn't a discrepancy. It was a rule at the time.

I am shocked, shocked, that they had a rule that you couldn't take sharp pointed metal objects on the plane.:eek:

NJ Stinks
05-24-2016, 01:57 PM
FAA rules allowed pocket knives and other sharp objects before 9/11. There was no ban on box cutters.

Read this and then tell us some more about your amazing brilliance.

By LLOYD VRIES AP November 12, 2002, 7:11 AM
Boxcutters Weren't Allowed Pre-9/11

A manual written by the airline industry years before the Sept. 11 attacks instructed airport screeners to confiscate from passengers boxcutters like those used by the hijackers, documents show.

Though the federal government did not specifically bar the objects before Sept. 11, the airlines were in charge of security and the manual they compiled was the guidebook for determining what items could be brought aboard flights.

The instructions were part of the Checkpoint Operations Guide, a manual issued by the Air Transport Association, which represents the major airlines, and the Regional Airline Association, the trade group for smaller carriers. The groups issued the guide to carry out Federal Aviation Administration regulations.

link:http://www.cbsnews.com/news/boxcutters-werent-allowed-pre-9-11/

tucker6
05-24-2016, 02:08 PM
I am shocked, shocked, that they had a rule that you couldn't take sharp pointed metal objects on the plane.:eek:
Yeah, about half an inch long, and actually not that pointy. So not really deadly... :D

To be honest, the TSA guy was embarrassed I think, because he knew it was dumb.

tucker6
05-24-2016, 02:11 PM
Read this and then tell us some more about your amazing brilliance.

By LLOYD VRIES AP November 12, 2002, 7:11 AM
Boxcutters Weren't Allowed Pre-9/11

A manual written by the airline industry years before the Sept. 11 attacks instructed airport screeners to confiscate from passengers boxcutters like those used by the hijackers, documents show.

Though the federal government did not specifically bar the objects before Sept. 11, the airlines were in charge of security and the manual they compiled was the guidebook for determining what items could be brought aboard flights.

The instructions were part of the Checkpoint Operations Guide, a manual issued by the Air Transport Association, which represents the major airlines, and the Regional Airline Association, the trade group for smaller carriers. The groups issued the guide to carry out Federal Aviation Administration regulations.

link:http://www.cbsnews.com/news/boxcutters-werent-allowed-pre-9-11/
Hey Einstein, he said the FAA guidelines did not exclude box cutters. Your gotcha says that the feds didn't specifically bar box cutters! So what are you bitching about? Your article agrees with him....... :lol:

Clocker
05-24-2016, 02:14 PM

Semantics. They may have been in the manual, but that ban was not enforced. If passengers were allowed to carry on small knives and cutting tools, then in reality they were not banned. From the LA Times (a liberal newspaper, BTW):

A team of Times reporters has traced the paths of the 19 suspected hijackers through the nation's aviation security system as it existed before Sept. 11 and found:

* Airport security checkpoints, even if they did detect such weapons as small knives and cutting tools, typically did not consider these as threatening.

http://articles.latimes.com/2001/sep/23/news/mn-48940

Clocker
05-24-2016, 02:16 PM
Yeah, about half an inch long, and actually not that pointy. So not really deadly... :D

Pointier than a butter knife? :p

tucker6
05-24-2016, 02:21 PM
Pointier than a butter knife? :p
Yes, it was :mad:

I would have preferred he keep the knife and give me the ball mark fixer back.