PDA

View Full Version : Pegasus Cup Filled

MonmouthParkJoe
05-19-2016, 02:08 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/pegasus-world-cup-oversubscribed-reddam-mcingvale-purchase-spots/

Why not make this thing 20 spots like the derby for a cool $20 million! :)

castaway01
05-19-2016, 02:17 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/pegasus-world-cup-oversubscribed-reddam-mcingvale-purchase-spots/

Why not make this thing 20 spots like the derby for a cool $20 million! :)

I was hoping it would be the best horses in racing at the time who were entered, not owners buying spots in advance and then hoping they have a horse that can compete. Oh well, not my million bucks to burn.

Fager Fan
05-19-2016, 02:37 PM
I was hoping it would be the best horses in racing at the time who were entered, not owners buying spots in advance and then hoping they have a horse that can compete. Oh well, not my million bucks to burn.

There's zero way to make it work your way. As an owner, you can't depend on a single horse or two to get you to such a race, so no one's going to pony up in advance. The track can't wait til a week out either, not knowing whether they're hosting a huge event or not.

This was a brilliant way to make it work. Don't worry, the best horses will show, and are far more likely to show this way. Not everyone is a zillionaire who would pay to enter even if they own a top horse. But now they'll be courted by those who do own the spots and deals can be struck that helps to get them in the gate.

I applaud this idea. Brilliant. And it may well lead to more.

tanner12oz
05-19-2016, 02:40 PM

it could end up being 12 nickel claimers running for 12m under these guidelines...

Fager Fan
05-19-2016, 02:45 PM
it could end up being 12 nickel claimers running for 12m under these guidelines...

Someone's going to have a better horse in there than that,,so which nicks claimer owner is going to pony up the dough?

Have a little more imagination.

whodoyoulike
05-19-2016, 03:22 PM
There's zero way to make it work your way. As an owner, you can't depend on a single horse or two to get you to such a race, so no one's going to pony up in advance. The track can't wait til a week out either, not knowing whether they're hosting a huge event or not.

This was a brilliant way to make it work. Don't worry, the best horses will show, and are far more likely to show this way. Not everyone is a zillionaire who would pay to enter even if they own a top horse. But now they'll be courted by those who do own the spots and deals can be struck that helps to get them in the gate.

I applaud this idea. Brilliant. And it may well lead to more.

Every major event which comes to mind is held this way i.e., Derby, BC, Dubai, and all the other major stake race days. I was hoping it would be the way Castaway01 was anticipating. Now, it looks like CC could run but horses like Nyquist, Beholder, Exaggerator, etc. may not because the cost will be more than $1 million to enter.

rgustafson
05-19-2016, 04:29 PM
Every major event which comes to mind is held this way i.e., Derby, BC, Dubai, and all the other major stake race days. I was hoping it would be the way Castaway01 was anticipating. Now, it looks like CC could run but horses like Nyquist, Beholder, Exaggerator, etc. may not because the cost will be more than $1 million to enter.

Reddam already paid for a spot for Nyquist.

Fager Fan
05-19-2016, 04:54 PM

None are held that way - they know a year or multiple years out they're having an event. You can't sell tickets and tv rights, etc, without knowing a substantial time ahead of time the event will be held.

You're not thinking of this correctly if yore imagining those horses running so far ahead of time. Hell, the favorite for the Oaks didn't get there with only a month to go.

The horses to enter will be the ones who make it up to the race in good order. Then the wheeling and dealing will begin. And it doesn't mean someone will pay $1m or more to enter. Maybe one person will, but maybe another owner will work a deal where the slot owner puts up the slot and he puts up the horse, and they'll split the pot 50-50. All kinds of deals will be pursued. Hell, that'll be part of what makes the race so interesting.

Stronach isn't the head of a country where he claims the natural resources of that country as his own. He can't afford to do what S. Mo is doing, so he came up with an interesting way to fund it.

Believe me, the Taylor brothers and their partners didn't put up $1m with nothing to back it but Chrome. They are banking they can work a deal with another top owner if need be.

SuperPickle
05-19-2016, 05:09 PM
So basically the were all sold on speculation.

It's like big money poker. There's going to be backers. So if I have a fast horse come November or December someone can offer me their spot in exchange for a cut of the purse.

Interesting.

Fager Fan
05-19-2016, 05:45 PM
If these 12 make money, then guess what the demand will be next year? And these 12 have first rights. It's a proposal I would've def considered if I was a big owner.

Redboard
05-19-2016, 09:00 PM
All 12 can't make money, only the first two finishers. The fourth thru 12 finishers get back $250k. I'm surprised they got 12 people to put up $1M (actually $750k since they are guaranteed to get back $250k) but anything that brings more excitement to the sport, I'm all for.

It's a good way to keep the stars on the track for one last race since it won't prevent them from breeding that year. Hope it works.

:ThmbUp:

$7 million for first, with $1.75 million for second, $1 million for third, and $250,000 for the fourth- through last-place finishers. read more at:

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/211571/stronach-to-run-12-million-pegasus-world-cup

EMD4ME
05-19-2016, 09:54 PM
I hope it ends up being 12 juiced up Starter ALW horses in the gates :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

theiman
05-19-2016, 09:57 PM
Any chance that Ricks Natural Star will be one of the entrants?

clocker7
05-19-2016, 10:27 PM
What a fun development. All the avenues for gamesmanship should keep the buzz going for the weeks after the Classic. With some spare horses on the grounds for backup, to add to the intrigue about who the starters will be.

As I posted on the other thread, my only regret is that the fee isn't $2million. There still would have been enough interest, imo.

Fager Fan
05-19-2016, 11:56 PM
All 12 can't make money, only the first two finishers. The fourth thru 12 finishers get back $250k. I'm surprised they got 12 people to put up $1M (actually $750k since they are guaranteed to get back $250k) but anything that brings more excitement to the sport, I'm all for.

It's a good way to keep the stars on the track for one last race since it won't prevent them from breeding that year. Hope it works.

:ThmbUp:

$7 million for first, with $1.75 million for second, $1 million for third, and $250,000 for the fourth- through last-place finishers. read more at:

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/211571/stronach-to-run-12-million-pegasus-world-cup

You're forgetting to add their cut on profits for the day. How much will admissions and handle bring in? Food & beverage sales? TV rights to the broadcast? I don't know what those numbers are, but you can bet that the buyers asked those questions and did some math and figured this is a good risk.

Fager Fan
05-19-2016, 11:57 PM
I hope it ends up being 12 juiced up Starter ALW horses in the gates :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

To hope that a potentially exciting new initiative would go down in flames doesn't seem too sporting to me.

rastajenk
05-20-2016, 06:23 AM
It's hard to grow the game when its biggest supporters never pass on a chance to bash it.

davew
05-20-2016, 07:44 AM
5 pounds for no Lasix is interesting.

dilanesp
05-20-2016, 10:25 AM
It's hard to grow the game when its biggest supporters never pass on a chance to bash it.

+1

It's clear now that Stronach is going to be able to pull this off. Yet not only here on PA but also in other fora (such as Jay Hovdey in the DRF), all I've been reading is a bunch of petty criticisms of this idea. (My favorite, which I have heard from several people, is that this is a bad idea because the race is 1 1/8 miles rather than 1 1/4 miles-- as if the latter is the only distance you can ever run a big race.)

This looks like a great idea. It's going to get all sorts of attention. And it could very well keep a top horse in training after the BC. If this race had been around this year, perhaps American Pharoah would have run in it (I am sure that fact was part of what gave Stronach the idea).

I'm looking forward to the first Pegasus Cup. I may even fly out to Fort Lauderdale to see it in person.

castaway01
05-20-2016, 10:48 AM
It sounds as if the behind-the-scenes negotiation for spaces in the gate and who gets what share of the purse will be more interesting than the race itself.

PaceAdvantage
05-20-2016, 11:47 AM
I kind of like this idea...at least it's innovative...I still have to think about it more though. But on the surface, I say, why the hell not?

If there's interest, which there is apparently, go for it!

ronsmac
05-20-2016, 12:10 PM
From a fan and bettors perspective, what's there not too like? SRU won't like it because it's a 12 horse field but I love 10- 12 horse fields on dirt. If it keeps top 3 yr olds running another year that's even better. If this race happened this year and head of Dubai didn't want to be outdone and raised the World Cup another few million. We may have had a California Chrome, American Pharoah showdown. If it's a colossal failure then it'll be one and done. No big deal.

clocker7
05-20-2016, 03:36 PM
What's revealing is that the bashers haven't thought things out.

This was going to be a well-subscribed race from the start. I said so before the list was revealed. It was bound to be populated by those with love for the game and the glory.

Not only that, the guarantee of $250k for everyone means that every gate position likely is going to be filled. With the ability to rent a horse for a day, who is going to pass that up? And for all those gripers about small fields, what's their issue? I think we know.

thespaah
05-21-2016, 05:36 PM
I find this to be an exciting opportunity.
I will let it play out.
Hopefully this event will attract lots of wagering, big on track crowd and hopefully TV exposure.

Tom
05-21-2016, 06:40 PM
And for all those gripers about small fields, what's their issue? I think we know.

Please, enlighten us. :confused: