PDA

View Full Version : Collected

depalma113
05-19-2016, 06:25 AM
Of all the outsiders, this guy looks like he could cause serious problems. He's coming off the "wow" work everyone was looking for going into the Derby, he just wasn't in the field. His work on May 13th was even better. The horse is sitting on a monster performance. He has the perfect style to run this, is plenty fast enough to be stalking the pace and will be outside of Nyquist.

Baffert likes being the last Triple Crown winning trainer and I doubt he's ready to give that title up so quickly. He might not win, but he has the right style to make sure Nyquist doesn't.

Distance could be a problem with sire City Zip and Johannesburg on the dam's side, but he has won at a mile and an eighth, so it's not out of the question.

At 10-1, he's well worth the shot.

Grits
05-19-2016, 09:20 AM
His race, two back, isn't one to be ignored.

I've always paid attention to Baffert when he has LESS to say about his horse. It's when I've gotten better prices on his horses. He's had much less to say about Collected--who also is rested.

SecretAgentMan
05-19-2016, 10:08 AM
Baffert already stated he would be very surprised if Nyquist didn't win the Preakness, that's good enough for me in understanding Nyquist won't lose.

Baffert knows horses, & he's pretty sure Nyquist is a very good horse with triple crown potential.

Grits
05-19-2016, 10:37 AM
Baffert already stated he would be very surprised if Nyquist didn't win the Preakness, that's good enough for me in understanding Nyquist won't lose.

Baffert knows horses, & he's pretty sure Nyquist is a very good horse with triple crown potential.

The exacta is quite possible. This. And Baffert would also sell the boots off a dead man. One should beware, taking trainerspeak as gospel. :rolleyes:

SecretAgentMan
05-19-2016, 11:03 AM
The exacta is quite possible. This. And Baffert would also sell the boots off a dead man. One should beware, taking trainerspeak as gospel. :rolleyes:

I've been paying attention to what Baffert been saying since Real Quiet in 1998, he basically gave the winner that derby, he liked RQ better than Indian Charlie while the media was all over IC.

Should have listened to him last year with AP. Baffets a straight shooter IMO.

Robert Fischer
05-19-2016, 11:29 AM
It's an interesting pace scenario.

Laoban and Uncle Lino have some potential to heat the pace up.

Collected has the ability to make Nyquist work.

In the Derby, Nyquist was able to settle into a high cruising speed and then inherit command, well in front of his rivals.

It's possible that in the Preakness, Nyquist will be asked the question with a rival (Collected) in front and finishing well. Sometimes a target is better, sometimes it means the stalker getting 'seconds' when it comes to position.

clocker7
05-19-2016, 11:33 AM
It's an interesting pace scenario.

Laoban and Uncle Lino have some potential to heat the pace up.

Collected has the ability to make Nyquist work.

In the Derby, Nyquist was able to settle into a high cruising speed and then inherit command, well in front of his rivals.

It's possible that in the Preakness, Nyquist will be asked the question with a rival (Collected) in front and finishing well. Sometimes a target is better, sometimes it means the stalker getting 'seconds' when it comes to position.
I thought that Nyquist answered that question in the Florida Derby.

RXB
05-19-2016, 11:51 AM
All six of Baffert's wins in the Preakness have been with horses that either won the Ky Derby (Silver Charm, Real Quiet, War Emblem, American Pharoah) or were favoured to do so (Point Given, Lookin At Lucky). His lone second-place finish in the Preakness came with Bodemeister who finished second in the Derby as the betting favourite.

His other 10 Preakness starters-- three "new shooters" and seven unfavoured also-rans from the Derby-- were all uncompetitive in the Preakness.

Collected, like the rest of the field, seems to be obviously outclassed by Exaggerator and even more so by Nyquist.

RXB
05-19-2016, 12:02 PM
Slight amendment as Cavonnier ran second in the Ky Derby so he wasn't a Derby "also-ran" when he ran an unthreatening fourth in the Preakness. Congaree ran third in the Derby and again in the Preakness. The other eight Baffert runners that were unfavoured also-rans in the Derby ran fifth or worse in the Preakness. In other words, no miracles performed with unproven runners.

depalma113
05-19-2016, 02:58 PM
Slight amendment as Cavonnier ran second in the Ky Derby so he wasn't a Derby "also-ran" when he ran an unthreatening fourth in the Preakness. Congaree ran third in the Derby and again in the Preakness. The other eight Baffert runners that were unfavoured also-rans in the Derby ran fifth or worse in the Preakness. In other words, no miracles performed with unproven runners.

Baffert has had 17 runners in the Preakness with 6 winners, 1 second, 1 third and 3 fourths.

He's had 6 horses that ran 5th or worse: Bayern, Governor Charlie, Midnight Interlude, Pioneerof the Nile (Kentucky Derby 2nd), Senor Swinger and Excellent Meeting.

Four of those did not run in the Kentucky Derby, the best of which finished 5th.

depalma113
05-19-2016, 03:15 PM
Excellent Meeting ran in the Kentucky Derby and finished fifth.

So Baffert has had three new shooters with Senior Swinger the best, finishing 5th.

boys at tosconova
05-20-2016, 11:51 AM
would not surprise me to see a big race. looks like he'll be a solid 4th choice in the betting pools as well.

i'm only using 5 horses, and i hope collected doesn't come in at the expense of lino.

i will have a nye over collect-lino trip key

Robert Fischer
05-20-2016, 01:44 PM
Collected is a good horse. He's going to need some help up front from Uncle Lino, and Laoban.

boys at tosconova
05-20-2016, 03:10 PM
Collected is a good horse. He's going to need some help up front from Uncle Lino, and Laoban.

most likely..but i don't see laoban maxing it up to ensure a fast pace......

collected is #5 on my list..how do you out close exaagg, and how do you run down nye,...not to mention strat who looks faster and will be in better position..+ i'm counting on lino being there as well.

most likely he'll be third at best under some scenarios unless the pace is blistering, but i have my doubts on that...