PDA

View Full Version : EXCELLENT BOOK/JIM QUINN

HIGH ROLLER
07-04-2004, 12:34 AM
i highly reccommend the jim quinn book on the best of handicapping methods, excellent reading

BeatTheChalk
07-04-2004, 08:50 AM
Can you tell me the Name of the Book ? Thanks ..

HIGH ROLLER
07-04-2004, 09:18 AM
hi, its on the daily racing form website, iactually read the whole book at the book store. it came out in 2003 amazing book.

BeatTheChalk
07-04-2004, 11:18 AM
A person after my own heart LOL ...In my time..I have been
known to read books. magazines, etc at the book store :)
In the glory days .. 80's .. I would see Quinn with Brohamer at
the seminars they used to have. Thanks for the info ...

charleslanger
07-06-2004, 06:32 AM
I also endorse this book. Kudos to HIGH ROLLER for recommending it.
Those of you who liked the original tome of 1982 or the revised '87 edition, will like this one even better-- for it is by no means a rehash or hasty update-- Quinn goes over everything again: noting in fine detail what has changed(he notes that a lot has & offers updated techniques / selection methods), what still works, new types of races carded today-- and how to tackle those. He also debunks some common handicapping misconceptions.
Those who read the original will remember that the advice is further filtered not just by general differences in race condition, type, class, pace shape, distance & surface-- but by slight differences too, where appropriate: sometimes just a difference of a half-furlong, one level change in claiming price or track class, adding optional claiming to an allowance, etc.-- may mean you should now key on a different type of horse...and because of this you'll find yourself referring to it often-- especially simulcast players.

All in all, this is a book each and every handicapper should have-- there's no way anyone is already keying on the correct horse for each and every combination possible of race type, class & track level, distance, etc. Just one category it corrects, times the number of such races bet-- will more than pay for the book(Heck, you can even beat inflation: in 1987 it retailed for $19.95, just
Just one category of inscrutable race that now becomes bettable: whether it be turf, optional claimers, etc......

In each key area of playing the horses: bankroll management, general handicapping, etc., etc.-- there are certain cornerstone books that are must-haves-- this is one of them.

And a must-have book is also a true test of a handicapper. In fact, should someone ever tell you they make money at this game / bet for a living and also pooh-pooh a book like this-- you can pretty much infer they lose money regularly. Why?
a. They're keying on the wrong type of horse in many types of races, and/or
b. They're too smug and making mistakes-- very unlikely one can keep all the nuances in one's head, and/or
c. They're too smug and not adapting to the changes in the game-- for this is one of the big pluses of this book: what no longer is working handicapping-wise, what needs to be changed / adapted to today, and how to handicap new race categories.

The day i ever get cocky & self-assured, i'd better find a regular job...

Peace.

cj
07-06-2004, 07:21 AM
I would say this book is so so, but I may be biased because I've read nearly everything in the book in its original text. If you haven't its probably a better read.