PDA

View Full Version : comma delimited multi and single files

Roger
07-03-2004, 06:07 PM
Could somebody explain the difference, or the advantages of Multi and/or single comma delimited files? Why would one use one over the other for their Programs?.......Are there advantages or disadvantages of one or the other? Are the capabilities more sophisticated with either? curious!!

Thanks to all.........................Roger:)

mhrussell
07-03-2004, 10:37 PM
Roger-

The reason for this is that most spreadsheets (I use MS Excel) have a limit on the number of columns available in a worksheet (254 in Excel). The "Multi-file format" CSV files are broken up into four separate files; each of which is less than 254 columns wide.

The "Single file format" CSV file has no such restriction on the number of columns (or "fields") and other non-spreadsheet programs have no problem reading this data.

So, if you want to use Excel, you need to download the "Multi-file formated" data.

In a nutshell (and aren't we all) that is what's going on.

best,

Roger
07-03-2004, 10:46 PM
Matt,
Thank's for straightening me out on that issue. Appreciate the reply!
Roger,

Handle
07-04-2004, 07:56 PM
Roger,

I wrote a utitility that will convert Multi file format to single file format -- last I looked it still worked. Just in case you needed the multi-format AND the single format:

http://www.thorotech.com/

Click the "free stuff" link and you'll see it (multi2single)

Tom
07-04-2004, 09:57 PM
Anyone ever see a program to convert single to multiple files?

Roger
07-04-2004, 10:52 PM
Thanks Nathan,

I am a user of your Equisim Program, still getting a grip on it.
Thank's for the reply.
Roger,

BillW
07-04-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Tom

It would be easy enough to do. If you don't find anyone to do it ... I can do the guts and talk someone into windowsifying it.

Bill

Brian Flewwelling
07-05-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Tom

Yes, but just in my mnds eye so far:)

Is this a serious question Tom?

Brian

GameTheory
07-05-2004, 11:49 AM
I can make a program to convert single to multi if you get me the specs for each file type. Nothing to it...

BillW
07-05-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Brian Flewwelling
Yes, but just in my mnds eye so far:)

Is this a serious question Tom?

Brian

If you have a collection of single format files and come up with an idea that requires Excell or any other program with similar limitations, it can be very useful.

Steveh
10-01-2005, 02:49 AM
Roger,

I wrote a utitility that will convert Multi file format to single file format -- last I looked it still worked. Just in case you needed the multi-format AND the single format:

http://www.thorotech.com/

Click the "free stuff" link and you'll see it (multi2single)

I just tested your conversion program and it seems to have a problem at this time. Todays single file 0930BEL is 387 kb and the converted is 356 kb. I tried testing it on a program that requires single file and it wouldn't work either. I for one would really appreciate it if you would fine tune your program to the changes that have caused it to stop working properly? You have other interesting programs on your site. I am happy that I found this link.

GameTheory
10-01-2005, 02:57 AM
Haven't seen Nathan around here in a long while -- might want to contact him at his site...

Rferguson
10-01-2005, 08:48 AM
mhrussel had it close to right but also some handicapping programs will only accept the multi file example the orignal master handicapper. Mike from stretch run which is no longer around had a converter single to multi that would work in his program but not in the master handicapper. If you want both the single and multi file for the same day and track bris will charge you for both even though they have the same data. Yes I would like very much to see someone come up with a single to multi converter that is fast, accurate, cheap and easy to use.

formula_2002
10-03-2005, 06:02 AM
http://www.bris.com/cgi-bin/dynamic.cgi?page=utils

Brise offers these free programs. I use the infortran.exe.

Allows me to extract the field(s) of single file format into a txt file. I then import that file ino my dbase program. You can also import the txt file into excel.