PDA

View Full Version : Monmouth Park Opening Day!

MonmouthParkJoe
05-12-2016, 10:10 AM
Just got back to Jersey after a 37 hour drive from old pueblo. 11 race card and weather looks fantastic at 68 degrees with possible rain and thunderstorms :bang:

Anyone here planning on going? It would be nice to put a face with some names on here.

charm city whizz
05-12-2016, 10:35 AM
In the laziest post of all time is the opener today?

Been to so many MP openers in my life the one that stands out as I'll never forgot is im in 8th grade it's memorial day satursay horse by name of big red otter coming off scores in penn national father put 20wp on horse for me he drilled field paid like 23.80 win 11 to place out of the :9: hole....before MTH even had colored sattle clothes

We sat upstairs in clubhouse revered seat....father had to get there in time to hear national anthem every week and first bet of day was always the philly park, on hot days would hide out in the ice cold room with wicker seating just drawing blank of what room was called at moment

Nothing beat opening day at mth

charm city whizz
05-12-2016, 10:38 AM
Even rememeber when mth would simulacst a race or 2 from bel or sar and you could shop for odds

Never laughed so hard one day when a guy who was in his 80s in the simukcst race horse was 7/2 at Saratoga but I think 5/2 at mth told him to bet it at spa for better price he said point blank "**** them" looking back on it it only gets funnier by the year

ronsmac
05-12-2016, 10:47 AM

Been to so many MP openers in my life the one that stands out as I'll never forgot is im in 8th grade it's memorial day satursay horse by name of big red otter coming off scores in penn national father put 20wp on horse for me he drilled field paid like 23.80 win 11 to place out of the :9: hole....before MTH even had colored sattle clothes

We sat upstairs in clubhouse revered seat....father had to get there in time to hear national anthem every week and first bet of day was always the philly park, on hot days would hide out in the ice cold room with wicker seating just drawing blank of what room was called at moment

Nothing beat opening day at mthThere are few things in life better than being young and going to the track with your Dad.

charm city whizz
05-12-2016, 11:05 AM
There are few things in life better than being young and going to the track with your Dad.

As true a statement as you can make....

really haven't been to live track with him since any given Saturday won Haskell in 2007 growing up Prob didn't miss a weekend of racing action from 1993-2007 before I moved away he's coming down today so he can take me for my surgery he's coming with his gf so he wasn't interested in going to the pimlico opener today👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎

I guess at age 67 he's not interested in "track collecting" another track to his list this is a prime example of how irrelevant horse racing has become, an old school grizzled horseplayer who besides triple crown racing and breeders cup has given up on game and just rather play cards

I couldn't imagine what some posters on here would give to be able to have more day at the track with a father or grandfather

ronsmac
05-12-2016, 11:14 AM
As true a statement as you can make....

really haven't been to live track with him since any given Saturday won Haskell in 2007 growing up Prob didn't miss a weekend of racing action from 1993-2007 before I moved away he's coming down today so he can take me for my surgery he's coming with his gf so he wasn't interested in going to the pimlico opener today👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎

I guess at age 67 he's not interested in "track collecting" another track to his list this is a prime example of how irrelevant horse racing has become, an old school grizzled horseplayer who besides triple crown racing and breeders cup has given up on game and just rather play cards

I couldn't imagine what some posters on here would give to be able to have more day at the track with a father or grandfatherNo question. 1983 at Monmouth of all places on a very sloppy track I bet blindly on a 12-1 shot my Dad loved shipping in from Hialeah. When he got up by a head I thought to myself "my Dad is the smartest man on earth. " To have those days back again.

MonmouthParkJoe
05-12-2016, 12:17 PM

This will be my 20th year going. Opening day is Saturday I'm really looking forward to it

Stillriledup
05-12-2016, 12:43 PM
Say hi to the legend for us! :ThmbUp:

RunForTheRoses
05-12-2016, 06:15 PM

That is one cold ass room.

Prytanis
05-12-2016, 07:24 PM
First time Monmouth,1974, to see Ruffian run
Went there often in August when the horses shipped to Saratoga.
Loved the train ride from Penn Station, right to the entrance of the track!!

charm city whizz
05-12-2016, 08:21 PM
That is one cold ass room.

Hell yeah.....especially when blasting away in hot clubhouse then walk in the room.....nothing but wicker furniture tvs and like 4 self service machines buried in corner

Shemp Howard
05-12-2016, 08:33 PM
Does Howard Grant have any mounts Opening Day?

Last time I was at Monmouth he was the man!

Shemp Howard
05-12-2016, 08:44 PM

I showed up that day with a pocket full of U.S. Grant's thinking Hot N' Nasty had a shot.

For what its worth, that was the only race the Champ was ever chart lined as "driving"

alhattab
05-12-2016, 09:00 PM
Hell yeah.....especially when blasting away in hot clubhouse then walk in the room.....nothing but wicker furniture tvs and like 4 self service machines buried in corner

Whizz I believe that is the Garden Room?

I was sneaking around the place last weekend between Derby Day races. Made my way up to the Patierres. Pretty cool space- really old school. Nothing changes in that place, except the chowder recipe seems to have changed. It's redder than it used to be. One of the chefs said they used a flour and oil roux, which gave it the lighter color, but that seems to have been removed from the recipe. Meanwhile, in the bathrooms you can probably still smell the dumps guys took in closing day last September.

Monmouth Park's opening day still means something- I will hopefully be there Saturday and will see some people I haven't seen in 7 months, like Joe! And while my 11 year old isn't really into the races yet he will be with me for the first few races. Maybe in a few years he will get into it. He was kind enough to turn the channel back to TVG for me after he got done with one of his shows a few weekends ago.

alhattab
05-12-2016, 09:03 PM
Just got back to Jersey after a 37 hour drive from old pueblo. 11 race card and weather looks fantastic at 68 degrees with possible rain and thunderstorms :bang:

Anyone here planning on going? It would be nice to put a face with some names on here.

And Welcome Back, my brother! See you under the big tent Saturday!

Prytanis
05-12-2016, 09:05 PM
I showed up that day with a pocket full of U.S. Grant's thinking Hot N' Nasty had a shot.

For what its worth, that was the only race the Champ was ever chart lined as "driving"
Vasquez is on record saying " i was surprised" when she could not pull away from Hot n Nasty on the turn

charm city whizz
05-12-2016, 09:18 PM
Whizz I believe that is the Garden Room?

I was sneaking around the place last weekend between Derby Day races. Made my way up to the Patierres. Pretty cool space- really old school. Nothing changes in that place, except the chowder recipe seems to have changed. It's redder than it used to be. One of the chefs said they used a flour and oil roux, which gave it the lighter color, but that seems to have been removed from the recipe. Meanwhile, in the bathrooms you can probably still smell the dumps guys took in closing day last September.

Monmouth Park's opening day still means something- I will hopefully be there Saturday and will see some people I haven't seen in 7 months, like Joe! And while my 11 year old isn't really into the races yet he will be with me for the first few races. Maybe in a few years he will get into it. He was kind enough to turn the channel back to TVG for me after he got done with one of his shows a few weekends ago.

Yes I think that's what it was called....room pound for pound one of best kept secrets in horse racing

Love these posts.....only went to mth in summer but for some reason the night the Diamondbacks buried the yanks in the game 6 of World Series at was at MTH for some reason betting simulacst place was a ghost town and I was sneaking around the plant looking how at different places there....Errie feeling and end of night snuck out on apron hooked through winners circle and walked on turf course in the pitch black of the night was in disbelief how thick turf course was

the bottom line with this thread is that its apparent how much monmouth means to a lot of people on this forum and that's pretty cool

Shemp Howard
05-12-2016, 09:30 PM
Vasquez is on record saying " i was surprised" when she could not pull away from Hot n Nasty on the turn

She was a little horse with a big heart.

They went a half in 44 and I think she put her nose in front at the top of the stretch.

Two wacks of the stick and that was the end of that.

alhattab
05-12-2016, 09:35 PM
Yes I think that's what it was called....room pound for pound one of best kept secrets in horse racing

Love these posts.....only went to mth in summer but for some reason the night the Diamondbacks buried the yanks in the game 6 of World Series at was at MTH for some reason betting simulacst place was a ghost town and I was sneaking around the plant looking how at different places there....Errie feeling and end of night snuck out on apron hooked through winners circle and walked on turf course in the pitch black of the night was in disbelief how thick turf course was

the bottom line with this thread is that its apparent how much monmouth means to a lot of people on this forum and that's pretty cool

My kid was supposed to play tennis Sat from 2-4. Old Lady isn't around for the day so he's all mine. Plan was to go for first two at Mth then take him to tennis. After reading these posts, we agreed he would ditch tennis. We're going to the track! When he was 6 months old, we had a party in the picnic area- Anthony's first day at the races". That was May 2005

MonmouthParkJoe
05-13-2016, 08:03 AM
My kid was supposed to play tennis Sat from 2-4. Old Lady isn't around for the day so he's all mine. Plan was to go for first two at Mth then take him to tennis. After reading these posts, we agreed he would ditch tennis. We're going to the track! When he was 6 months old, we had a party in the picnic area- Anthony's first day at the races". That was May 2005

Cant wait Andy. I talked to Chris and his family that sit to the left of us and they are going. I am sure Eddie and the rest of the crew will be there. I have three weekends to enjoy before moving to Belmont and then Saratoga for the summer. Tell you more tomorrow.

Ruffian1
05-13-2016, 08:51 AM

So many fond memories of Monmouth.

I watched that race as a groom from the 5/8ths pole backside stand on the outside fence.
The look in Ruffian's eyes going down the back stretch against Hot And Hasty that day shocked me. I was hooked on becoming a trainer right there.

I have seen a ton of horses with a look in there eye but I NEVER saw anything like the look Ruffian had when she went by me in that race. It was incredible ! Thus her Name for me on PA.

onefast99
05-14-2016, 09:53 AM
We are all excited to see how this year goes at MP. I wish everyone the best of luck today. Look for us this year with a lot of runners at MP we made the decision to stay home and support MP. :ThmbUp:

KingChas
05-14-2016, 11:22 AM

Big Red Otter was a freak.
I believe he is still alive today at 25yrs old.
Followed this horse from his maiden win at Penn ,cashed the same day as you at Mon, and also caught him at the Spa.
Always paid a price, cashed a few big ones on this boy.

Thanks for the memories............. ;)

charm city whizz
05-14-2016, 11:39 AM
Followed this horse from his maiden win at Penn ,cashed the same day as you at Mon, and also caught him at the Spa.

Thats awesome!!!

charm city whizz
05-14-2016, 11:41 AM

You remeber that wire job outta the 9 hole on that opening day that's awesome HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Very possible I come up there for the back half of the card, almost a lock to go to the m or Yonkers tonigt