PDA

View Full Version : Movies

dav4463
07-03-2004, 04:56 AM
How come movies that people actually enjoy hardly ever win any awards ?

Examples:

Vacation
Caddyshack
Friday the 13th
Porky's
Animal House
Lost Boys
The Jerk

the list goes on an on.....

Tom
07-03-2004, 09:54 AM
Because the people who pay to see movies are not asked to paticipate in the ridiculous awards shows.

ljb
07-03-2004, 09:59 AM
There is a Peoples Choice Awards. But basically the awards programs are just a bunch of BS.

Buckeye
07-03-2004, 10:03 AM
The people vote with their $$$. That is the best measure.

GameTheory
07-03-2004, 10:48 AM
MTV Movie Awards...

JustRalph
07-03-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by ljb
There is a Peoples Choice Awards. But basically the awards programs are just a bunch of BS.

Son of a Bitch! We finally Agree on Something!

If the Award Shows were serious indications of Acting Prowess, Why doesn't Morgan Freeman have a about ten Oscar's?

sq764
07-03-2004, 02:38 PM
JR, did Shawshank Redemption win anything? I thought he and Tim (forget his last name, Sarandon's husband) were unreal in that movie.

Tom
07-03-2004, 04:08 PM
Shawshank Red. is coming back to theaters for a two week run-not sure when, but soon.

Secretariat
07-03-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by sq764
JR, did Shawshank Redemption win anything? I thought he and Tim (forget his last name, Sarandon's husband) were unreal in that movie.

No it didn't win anything despite many nominations. That was 1994 - the Year Tom Hanks and Forrest Gump swept everything.

However the Tim you are talking from that movie is Tim Robbins who won this past year for Best Supporting Actor for Mystic River.

dav4463
07-03-2004, 06:30 PM
Mystic River....boy there's one I can't wait to rent !......right ! I think I'll rent "Old School" and "Dude Where's my Car" instead ! Bet they didn't win anything though !

Tom
07-03-2004, 08:20 PM
What is Mystic River about?
It's playing here and I am scouting out things to do on vacation.

BTW,,,Michael Moore's next movie is already in production. It's called, "Dude! Where's My Integrity?":rolleyes:

Secretariat
07-03-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Tom

BTW,,,Michael Moore's next movie is already in production. It's called, "Dude! Where's My Integrity?":rolleyes:

Mystic River was directed by Clint Eastwood who wsa nominated for Best Director. Sean Penn won Best Actor and Tim Robbins won Best Supporting actor. Kevin Bacon is also in it.

It's about an incident that happen to Penn, Robbins and Bacon in their youth, and how it affects their various lives later. It's a good movie, and no politics in it.

As to Moore, yeah, I heard that too, it's about Cheney.

Bubbles
07-03-2004, 09:20 PM
I agree. Every year, the best movies get snubbed in favor of movies that about twenty people see. And it stinks. Who actually saw "Gosford Park" when it was nominated for Best Picture a few years ago? It was never even really advertised at all. If it was that easy to win an award, everyone should.

Wait, that can't happen. Although that acceptance speech by the "Lord of the Rings" guy DID come close to accomplishing it. ;)

superfecta
07-06-2004, 11:56 PM
IMO Forrest gump was the last picture that actually deserved the award.The English Patient,Shakespeare in love,that highbrow crap has soured me on even watching award shows.Hoped Seabiscuit would at least win best cinematography this year,but no, the geekfest LOTR won everything.

superfecta
07-06-2004, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Tom

BTW,,,Michael Moore's next movie is already in production. It's called, "Dude! Where's My Integrity?":rolleyes: Unless you dig child murder and molestation ,I would not recommend Mystic as a vacation movie.but I would recommend Eurotrip(but only if you like Porkys and Vacation "R" rated comedy)