PDA

View Full Version : Churchill hijacks P6 carryover

Robes
05-10-2016, 12:16 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/horseplayers-category/derby-day-pick-six-carryover-will-split-thursday-friday-cards/

I think all the carryover money should go on Thu. They take half the carryover to seed a different pool for their own benefit,if they want to seed a pool they should use their own money,make your voice heard and complain

https://www.churchilldowns.com/contact

Stillriledup
05-10-2016, 02:10 PM
There's no more evil anti horseplayer and horse racing as a sport than these people. They are a cancer on the game.

Tall One
05-10-2016, 02:16 PM
Can't read the article at work, but if nobody hits either day, that is one huge carryover for Saturday..

thespaah
05-10-2016, 02:38 PM
Unless one has bet into the pool at an earlier date, they are the beneficiary of other people's money.
However, this is done wherever there is a pick 6 That carries over. Unless one bets the pick 6 every day, the new money into the pool is shared by thosein the pool on successive days.
I'm not seeing the "foul" here.

Poindexter
05-10-2016, 03:40 PM
See absolutely nothing wrong with spiltting the carryover over 2 days. Actually think it is a very good idea. Much of the extra carryover you would have gotten on Thursday, would have been offset by takeout on the extra money bet anyhow(the bigger the carryover the more that is bet). If you miss on thursday, you get another shot on Friday.

cj
05-10-2016, 04:03 PM
Some people here actually think it is ok to take money from one pool and stick it into the pool of another type of bet, different than the original? That is setting a very dangerous precedent.

cj
05-10-2016, 04:05 PM
See absolutely nothing wrong with spiltting the carryover over 2 days. Actually think it is a very good idea. Much of the extra carryover you would have gotten on Thursday, would have been offset by takeout on the extra money bet anyhow(the bigger the carryover the more that is bet). If you miss on thursday, you get another shot on Friday.

You aren't understanding this. Half the split carryover is going into a new bet like the Rainbow 6 at Gulfstream, not a regular P6. They are taking a lot of money and putting into a bet that is very hard to hit and will likely carry over many, many days. All the while they can hold onto it and collect interest.

Poindexter
05-10-2016, 04:18 PM
You aren't understanding this. Half the split carryover is going into a new bet like the Rainbow 6 at Gulfstream, not a regular P6. They are taking a lot of money and putting into a bet that is very hard to hit and will likely carry over many, many days. All the while they can hold onto it and collect interest.

You are correct. Definitely did not understand. I retract my previous comment. Yikes.

therussmeister
05-10-2016, 05:20 PM
How much interest can you get on that money these days?

castaway01
05-10-2016, 05:42 PM
Some people here actually think it is ok to take money from one pool and stick it into the pool of another type of bet, different than the original? That is setting a very dangerous precedent.

Definitely not okay. It's a shame because it's a great idea to seed the pool, but not taking it out of another pool where those who bet it will never got a shot at the carryover. Sleazy tactics.

iamt
05-10-2016, 06:05 PM
Isn't this theoretically in the player's interests??

The single Six has a takeout of 15%, compared to the 22% of the standard Pick 6.

This means that the mandatory payout day is better than had the portion of the jackpot been placed into a standard Pick 6.

The second day, and the start of the jackpot component is effectively a 24% takeout (the 15% plus 10% of the remainder attributed to the jackpot).

Ignoring the jackpot component as lost money, the combined takeout is less than players would have run into otherwise if the jackpots had of been split under standard rules.

After re-reading the Churchill Downs website, it is still somewhat ambiguous about whether the Carry-Over on the second day is part of the jackpot only, or part of the greater pool. If it is in the jackpot only then obviously all objections are fair.

SG4
05-10-2016, 10:24 PM
It's usually impossible to defend most moves behind Churchill management, but I'm inclined to think this one is a win-win for them & players. Churchill now gets big handle this Thursday, and then has a bet with buzz going for it right off the bat on Friday as well which can possibly keep meet-long momentum going for it if the jackpot remains unhit. They will most likely have nice pools for this wager (which had been quite paltry before), and that's how they make out better.

For players, now there are multiple days for a nice score, and hopefully a continuously well funded pool which has a very reasonable payout structure. At only 15% takeout & with 90% paid out daily when there is no single winner, this is a much better ratio than Gulfstream's rainbow 6. Multiple days of good sized pools with low takeout & a large possible jackpot, this will certainly keep me interested in the meet going forward whereas otherwise they wouldn't get much of a look after Derby day.

What's the real gripe here again, that players who lost money on the Derby day pick 6 don't get a chance to win it back right away? If anything people should be happy that they now have a realistic chance of getting something back. Good luck to anyone playing this Thursday card in potential slop, would you want to throw in some big $ to that sequence with a $2 minimum? I wouldn't touch it for a $2 bet, at 20 cents now it becomes interesting.

Robes
05-10-2016, 10:28 PM
[QUOTE=cj]Some people here actually think it is ok to take money from one pool and stick it into the pool of another type of bet, different than the original? That is setting a very dangerous precedent.[/QUOTE

I'm surprised that this outright larceny by CDI is taken so lightly, some posters even think is a good thing,no wonder horseplayers are getting the shaft for a long time,I miss the good old days when players started fires,for a lot less, I was one of them at Big M,when they scratched the good part of an entry at the gate ridden by the great A.Cordero jr at 3/5 and left the bettors with the 1A who alone would've been at least 50-1, after the 1A finished out of the money they paid off the winners like nothing happened, before long every trash can in the place was on fire soon they announced that they will be refunds of all tickets with #1.
Today we play from home, but we can still start a fire by flooding greedy CDI
Churchill downs w/ emails,greed must be stopped. They are changing the pick 6 carryover money rules. They decided that money which they have their hands on will head to a jackpot pick 6 that does not benefit a horse player. The natural churn does and when you take this money and it of circulation it hurts everyone except for greedy pigs that own CDI.here is the link again come on people lets stop these thieves now.

https://www.churchilldowns.com/contact

SandyW
05-10-2016, 10:37 PM
Can't read the article at work, but if nobody hits either day, that is one huge carryover for Saturday..

Highly unlikely that this pick 6 will not be hit when you reduce the bet down to a 20 cent bet.

Robes
05-10-2016, 10:40 PM
, ((and then has a bet with buzz going for it right off the bat on Friday as well which can possibly keep meet-long momentum going for it if the jackpot remains unhit. They will most likely have nice pools for this wager (which had been quite paltry before), and that's how they make out better. ))

I say If they want buzz they should use their own money, you say it's ok to steal money from another pool to creat buzz,no wonder players are getting the shaft :bang: :bang: :bang:

Robes
05-10-2016, 10:43 PM

The only way it doesn't get hit on Thu,is if they cancel racing :)

Robes
05-10-2016, 11:04 PM
Sick 6 at Churchill

Speaking of carryovers, here’s hoping someone hits the pick six on the Kentucky Derby card at Churchill Downs on May 7. Otherwise, a game of parimutuel three-card monte will kick in under a scheme unfortunately approved this week by the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission.

~~read the rest at link below~~

http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/story/_/id/15058210/saturday-racing-offers-feast-fans-players

Tall One
05-10-2016, 11:23 PM
Ok, now I get it what you guys were saying. Thanks for a follow up on this topic from earlier.. :ThmbUp:

Stillriledup
05-11-2016, 03:57 AM
I wonder if somehow they're breaking a federal law.

Hmmmm. :rolleyes:

cj
05-11-2016, 07:41 AM
How much interest can you get on that money these days?

I'll let you know when I have that kind of money to stash :)

MonmouthParkJoe
05-11-2016, 08:40 AM

I coudlnt agree more

MonmouthParkJoe
05-11-2016, 08:42 AM
I wonder if somehow they're breaking a federal law.

Hmmmm. :rolleyes:

Being a publicly traded company I would think they got commission approval before doing this. I would LIKE to think.

SG4
05-11-2016, 01:26 PM
A question for those who are outraged & seem morally opposed to this whole idea - how does this exact situation hurt the betting public? Churchill is not taking money off the table forever, it's just being redistributed in a different way, one which I think is better for the general player. Maybe it's just a matter of preference, but I would rather have 2 days to chase a 500k pool than 1 day to chase for a million. Heck I'd rather have 1 day of a must payout 500k pool with a 20c increment instead of a million with a $2 base.

For people who've spoken about this being unfair to the churn, how many people would you be expecting to churn this money if Thursday's card was a $2 pick 6? Maybe a lucky 10 people benefit? Also the complaints of using one bet & carrying it over to another, it's still a pick 6, it's not like they are funding an exacta pool tomorrow. I could understand being upset if they took a large carryover funded by a rainbow style pick 6 & then on the last day said this carryover will now be a $2 traditional pool, as that would just be making it more difficult on players & hurting the smaller players who built the pool.

Far as generating interest on the money they're holding, I'm pretty sure the sale of 1 low end ticket to the Derby would cover that amount, so that's a non-argument this day in age, sorry.

AndyC
05-11-2016, 01:49 PM
A question for those who are outraged & seem morally opposed to this whole idea - how does this exact situation hurt the betting public? Churchill is not taking money off the table forever, it's just being redistributed in a different way, one which I think is better for the general player. Maybe it's just a matter of preference, but I would rather have 2 days to chase a 500k pool than 1 day to chase for a million. Heck I'd rather have 1 day of a must payout 500k pool with a 20c increment instead of a million with a $2 base.

For people who've spoken about this being unfair to the churn, how many people would you be expecting to churn this money if Thursday's card was a $2 pick 6? Maybe a lucky 10 people benefit? Also the complaints of using one bet & carrying it over to another, it's still a pick 6, it's not like they are funding an exacta pool tomorrow. I could understand being upset if they took a large carryover funded by a rainbow style pick 6 & then on the last day said this carryover will now be a $2 traditional pool, as that would just be making it more difficult on players & hurting the smaller players who built the pool.

Far as generating interest on the money they're holding, I'm pretty sure the sale of 1 low end ticket to the Derby would cover that amount, so that's a non-argument this day in age, sorry.

Doesn't taking a regular P-6 carryover to fund a Rainbow style P-6 move the potential people to benefit from possibly hundreds to just 1?

Robes
05-11-2016, 01:59 PM

Someday you will get it, :bang: :bang: most people who are complaining would've have no problem if they distributed the whole pool on Thu even though they changed the bet from a $2 minimum to 20c,the problem is they took 1/2 of the money to seed a different pool for their own benefit :)

Poindexter
05-11-2016, 02:42 PM
I think SG4 makes some very valid points and the more I think about it, the more okay I am with what they are doing. A rainbow six type wager where takeout is 15% only and 10% is being siphoned out for the jackpot(or thus a 25% takeout) especially on a 20 cent level IMO is a much better bet than say a $2 pick six at Santa Anita where I believe the takeout is over 23% with no jackpot and none of the inefficiencies of the public chasing hopeless longshots in search of a score(obviously I am not comparing it to carryover situations). This can be a bettor friendly bet and using 1/2 the carryover to get the ball rolling is not a bad thing imo. I do not think this is a sucker bet by any stretch unlike the Rainbow six.

As I mentioned above double the carryover on Thursday and so much more would be bet that much of the extra carryover would be offset by extra takeout.

I am going to take the minority stance and say that I personally have no problem with what they are doing.

Stillriledup
05-11-2016, 04:19 PM
Being a publicly traded company I would think they got commission approval before doing this. I would LIKE to think.

I'm sure they got approval from 'themselves' but what about the Feds, seems like this is something similar to Ponzi

EMD4ME
05-11-2016, 08:37 PM
I'll let you know when I have that kind of money to stash :)

Through banks, not more than 1-2% annualized, so peanuts.

Through commercial paper a little bit more.

Through hard money lending, legal hard money lending, 2-3 points and 10-15% annualized return.

You never know!

salty
05-11-2016, 10:15 PM
Incredibly lame, just spent 3 hours trying to figure out a good ticket. Then I see this. Equibase app didn't reflect this.

VigorsTheGrey
05-11-2016, 11:16 PM
I don't see how they can seed another distinct pool with 1/2 the money....IT IS CHANGING THE RULES OF THE ORIGINAL BET MIDSTREAM effectively countermanding the fidelity under which the original wager pool was established to begin with....

If they want to start a new wager, fine, start one, it doesn't even need seed money..it will grow on it's own...

You can't just up and change the rules, well, because "WE SAY SO"

Zaf
05-11-2016, 11:45 PM
I don't see how they can seed another distinct pool with 1/2 the money....IT IS CHANGING THE RULES OF THE ORIGINAL BET MIDSTREAM effectively countermanding the fidelity under which the original wager pool was established to begin with....

If they want to start a new wager, fine, start one, it doesn't even need seed money..it will grow on it's own...

Agree, what is the KHRC smoking ?

Z

SG4
05-12-2016, 12:02 AM
Doesn't taking a regular P-6 carryover to fund a Rainbow style P-6 move the potential people to benefit from possibly hundreds to just 1?

With the entire pool being distributed on Thursday, this will likely benefit a number of bettors right off the bat. I think the other real benefit is now you'll have a pool that will likely get a significant pool size day in & day out until there's a single ticket winner, so a number of players are going to benefit every single day by having a chance for a nice score even if they're not a lone ticket. If the rainbow portion goes unhit until the end of the meet, then you have another day where the bettors benefit a lot as well on final distribution day. I think this will help a lot more people with their bankrolls over the course of the meet, and if one lucky person can take down the pool along the way, good for them too.

Robes
05-12-2016, 12:04 AM

I am going to take the minority stance and say that I personally have no problem with what they are doing.

:bang: :confused: :bang: you are missing the whole point

SG4
05-12-2016, 12:10 AM
Someday you will get it, :bang: :bang: most people who are complaining would've have no problem if they distributed the whole pool on Thu even though they changed the bet from a $2 minimum to 20c,the problem is they took 1/2 of the money to seed a different pool for their own benefit :)

OK, so you really feel that only Churchill benefits from this? Please explain to me why you think players are getting the short end of the stick.

SG4
05-12-2016, 12:21 AM

Churchill's previous ventures at the rainbow 6 were met with little interest from the public -look at the handle from last fall, there were days where the carryover pool was in triple digits, not exactly an exciting way to watch a pool grow on its own, unless grass growing is an exciting activity as well. Giving it a big kick start really helps, opposed to waiting through several weeks of the pool being inconsequential.

Also Churchill did not make this decision to change the rules on Monday or something, it was announced well back. And why can't they just change the rules, it's their betting menu. If you're not interested in supporting them, keep your money in the wallet. These aren't rule changes messing with the integrity of the races at all, and all money is still finding its way back to the betting public at some point.

VigorsTheGrey
05-12-2016, 12:45 AM
Churchill's previous ventures at the rainbow 6 were met with little interest from the public -look at the handle from last fall, there were days where the carryover pool was in triple digits, not exactly an exciting way to watch a pool grow on its own, unless grass growing is an exciting activity as well. Giving it a big kick start really helps, opposed to waiting through several weeks of the pool being inconsequential.

Also Churchill did not make this decision to change the rules on Monday or something, it was announced well back. And why can't they just change the rules, it's their betting menu. If you're not interested in supporting them, keep your money in the wallet. These aren't rule changes messing with the integrity of the races at all, and all money is still finding its way back to the betting public at some point.

So first it is a $2 min non mandatory payout on Derby Day...in anticipation of it not being hit, CD prepared and announce to the betting public in advance that IF not hit on Derby Day then this is what CD plans to do with the carryover...1/2 the pool would now be mandatory payout on Thursday w/ a .20 base wager.....then the other half would be used to seed the new single six wager starting Friday...

.....I guess I just missed the announcement on Sat....

I would imagine they cannot change the rules midstream...I'm not a lawyer but I would think a wager is a legal entities whose properties are spelled out clearly in manifestos pertaining to their disposition...I would think the carryover pool is party to the distinct rules set out and agreed upon by ALL parties involved in the agreement of the wager...

Stillriledup
05-12-2016, 01:34 AM
OK, so you really feel that only Churchill benefits from this? Please explain to me why you think players are getting the short end of the stick.
Because some people don't play jackpot bets so they don't want the money going to that pool, they want all the money in the pool that they're going to bet.

ultracapper
05-12-2016, 04:35 AM
This is total, complete BULLSHIT!!!

ultracapper
05-12-2016, 04:36 AM
If I bet into CD carryover pools, I'd quit immediately.

burnsy
05-12-2016, 07:51 AM
If I bet into CD carryover pools, I'd quit immediately.

Agreed, I already played my "annual" races last week. SRU is not being an alarmist this time. This organization is a cancer to the outcome of racing. They make the rules as they go along. The craziest thing is people just sitting there and saying this is a good thing. You gotta wonder??? At least their money is in the pools......I guess. Some people would eat a shit sandwich and say racing made it good for them.

If I played the pic 6 and saw this I would be done with them. The betting menu is a choice, for the customer, not for the track. Hey, I ordered steak the other day and the waitress gave me fish.....which I hate......but they "seeded it"......Gee, thanks a lot, I'll be back next week. Where's my money? Oh, over there in that other bet?? Go ahead seed that bet with the pool I've been chasing, on something I may, or may not like...........Thanks I love you.......... :) :bang: :rolleyes:

I've heard it all now. You gotta be kidding me? And people justify this by the "take out". Where does racing find these rubes? I gotta sell something, anything, there truly is a sucker born every minute. I'm going to have an office pool........if no one hits it you can bet on this, I seeded it with the money you already invested and were attempting to win back. :D I only get 15 percent of the money I stole from the other pool....... :D

senortout
05-12-2016, 01:08 PM
To me at least, it's important to consider the Derby Day pick 6 player, above and beyond any other considerations.

Pick 6 players expect to lose, on average. That is to say, even successful players of that wager lose the bet, MOST of the time. The real important thing in considering the handling of this carryover now becomes THOSE PLAYERS WHO MADE THE WAGER AND BANKED ON GOING AFTER THE CARRYOVER THE NEXT WAGERING DAY.

Honestly now, who knew at the time those P-6 wagers were made? What % of the people who bet the P-6 Saturday knew this rule change? Did the tellers inform each pick 6 player, did the auto-tote machine announce this, were all adws making their customers aware of this? Etc, Etc.

This is not an ethical change unless it was clearly stated on the front of the racing form both Friday and Saturday May 6 and 7th, as well as on the official track program. Was it? This will not stand up in a court of law unless a majority of the betting public knew what they were getting into. Grounds for a lawsuit, perhaps.

Poindexter
05-12-2016, 01:29 PM
fwiw I stand by my previous post. That being said this subject is bringing up a lot of passion. If I were Churchill(or anyone else in the racing industry) I would scrap this idea really quick. A lot of seasoned horseplayers feel they are cheating horseplayers. My opinion is really meaningless, the fact that so many see "foul" is all that matters.

Stillriledup
05-12-2016, 01:49 PM
fwiw I stand by my previous post. That being said this subject is bringing up a lot of passion. If I were Churchill(or anyone else in the racing industry) I would scrap this idea really quick. A lot of seasoned horseplayers feel they are cheating horseplayers. My opinion is really meaningless, the fact that so many see "foul" is all that matters.

Players felt cheated during takeout raises and CD didn't care, their attitude is take it or leave it. Most take it, that's why they act the way they act. If people stopped betting on Churchill signals, they would change their tune, but there hasn't been enough exodus for them to change their corporate model.

Robes
05-12-2016, 02:31 PM
The rainbow pick 6 is a lottery if I wanted to bet into a lottery I'll go to my local 7/11,loterries benefit only 1 player,and the track,so if CDI wants to benefit they should use their own money.

whodoyoulike
05-12-2016, 05:40 PM
Players felt cheated during takeout raises and CD didn't care, their attitude is take it or leave it. Most take it, that's why they act the way they act. If people stopped betting on Churchill signals, they would change their tune, but there hasn't been enough exodus for them to change their corporate model.

SRU and I are starting to agree which is scary for me.

licwOgzBqo0

salty
05-12-2016, 05:57 PM
If they wanted the jackpot bet they should have just seeded it with a guaranteed minimum on the first day it's offered. Why should the players money compensate a jackpot bet that will create more profits for the track?

This is just insane, and because it's a night card my simulcast facility is taking no wagers on the card because they are closing now. No time to go add money to my adw account either. What an incredibly stupid waste of time.

Guess I'll just watch my picks and cringe as they all come in. :faint:

Lemon Drop Husker
05-12-2016, 08:53 PM
First half of the carryover pays out $679.40 for winning Pick 6 tickets.

Robes
05-12-2016, 11:19 PM
To me at least, it's important to consider the Derby Day pick 6 player, above and beyond any other considerations.

Pick 6 players expect to lose, on average. That is to say, even successful players of that wager lose the bet, MOST of the time. The real important thing in considering the handling of this carryover now becomes THOSE PLAYERS WHO MADE THE WAGER AND BANKED ON GOING AFTER THE CARRYOVER THE NEXT WAGERING DAY.

Honestly now, who knew at the time those P-6 wagers were made? What % of the people who bet the P-6 Saturday knew this rule change? Did the tellers inform each pick 6 player, did the auto-tote machine announce this, were all adws making their customers aware of this? Etc, Etc.

This is not an ethical change unless it was clearly stated on the front of the racing form both Friday and Saturday May 6 and 7th, as well as on the official track program. Was it? This will not stand up in a court of law unless a majority of the betting public knew what they were getting into. Grounds for a lawsuit, perhaps.

AMEN!!! Exactly my thoughts,if they were honest business people they would've informed the players of their devious intentions w/ CAPITAL letters in the R,Form in the track program and in all the off track betting parlors and .ADWS At the risk of redboarding I was lucky enough to hit the P6 for 40c when one of my horses scratched into the favorite,so I recouped my p6 investment on derby day and made a nice profit,the next betting $ these crooks get from me,will be next year derby day, Churchill and the other tracks they own can go to hell.

Frost king
05-13-2016, 01:30 AM
Only fitting, that the last leg was won by Mzapropritedfunds. The name says it all.

VigorsTheGrey
05-13-2016, 02:01 AM
I wonder how many bettors who didn't appreciate the idea of redirecting the carryover pool into the single six wager ended up being enticed into betting the .20 wager today....thus setting up a psychological split especially if they won what turned out to be a relatively easy P6 to hit?

senortout
05-13-2016, 12:41 PM
Wow...their share was 1/2 of what it should have been, (those that hit Thursday) If they are 'enticed' as you conject, to be into the 20 cent pool today, they can expect_1. to be rewarded with enormously less of a payoff then they received Thursday or _2. or they hit nothing, or _3 they watch their 20 cent tickets go up in smoke as one person has the only winning combo. (hint, it won't be their jackpot, at least 99.9999999999 percent of them)
Looking on the bright side...some of them may have got their money back from the Saturday-Thursday bucks they plowed into the Pick 6. Oh wait was that a 'signer' Thursday? I don't know the rules on that one. Never, never never have bet the Pick 6. Don't play the lottery, either.

I wonder how many bettors who didn't appreciate the idea of redirecting the carryover pool into the single six wager ended up being enticed into betting the .20 wager today....thus setting up a psychological split especially if they won what turned out to be a relatively easy P6 to hit?

senortout
05-14-2016, 03:18 PM
'Specially Churchill Downs. The 20 cent 'rainbow-type' wager paid well yesterday and Saturdays carryover is $356,238.00 so that seed money will surely tempt P-6 players. I think they won the battle. Another thing to consider....this is a relatively short meet (ends July2) and therefore the seed money they 'borrowed' will help them immensely. Meanwhile, I hope most players remember the Hana efforts. Fight the high take-outs.

SG4
06-10-2016, 10:05 PM
A real extreme oddity at Churchill today - without any carryover applied, the rainbow six payout was over 30x the parlay. I have never seen such an immense overlay in a winning payout, must be some really crazy tickets when people are chasing that single winning ticket. A fairly formful day (even, 3-5, 9-2, 5-2, 8-5 & 3-1) produced a winning ticket just shy of $5k for a 20c ticket. I give props to Churchill for consistently posting will-pays of this wager well before the final post time, as it's clearly hard to predict what the bettor may actually be in the running for in the final leg. Really hoping GP can follow suit one of these days on that end, don't know why their secrecy continues - although to be fair I haven't followed them since April, anyone know if maybe they've come around on this?