PDA

View Full Version : Official Press Release on P. Val's New Suspension....

Turfday
07-02-2004, 10:37 PM
CHRB NEWS RELEASE
JULY 2, 2004

STEWARDS SUSPEND PATRICK VALENZUELA

INGLEWOOD, CA – The stewards summarily suspended jockey Patrick Valenzuela here Friday until they can conduct a formal hearing after he failed to fully comply with the terms of his conditional licensing agreement with the California Horse Racing Board, which requires him to provide samples of his hair for drug testing.

One day after Valenzuela resumed riding following a month-long suspension, the stewards ordered him off all of his mounts beginning Friday evening when he could not provide CHRB investigators with hair samples as required. The 41-year-old jockey has completely shaven his head, chest, armpits, and pubic hair, which are the only areas of his body that could provide a sufficient quantity of hair follicles for testing. He did provide a urine sample before he resumed riding Thursday, which tested negative for drugs. The testing of hair follicles is a more comprehensive test.

Valenzuela has been riding for the last few years under a signed agreement with the CHRB, which among other things requires him to submit to drug and/or alcohol testing as directed. It was his failure to appear for a drug test last January 22 that prompted the Santa Anita Park stewards to suspend him for the rest of 2004. Valenzuela testified May 18 during an appeal hearing that he missed the test because he was severely depressed due to personal problems and the effects of medication prescribed by a psychiatrist. The seven racing commissioners unanimously upheld the stewards’ suspension but reduced the term to four months with credit for three months already served. Valenzuela served the fourth month by sitting out the entire month of June.

In addition to all of the conditions of his ongoing agreement with the CHRB, which includes mandatory participation in a rehabilitation program, the commissioners ordered that Valenzuela also be subject to testing of his hair follicles with or without probable cause. All of the hundreds of tests performed under the original agreement have involved the testing of Valenzuela’s urine samples for illegal substances. All of those tests have been negative. Hair screening is considered far more effective than urinalysis in identifying drug use because drugs can become trapped in hair cells and remain detectable for months. A standard screening requires from 70 to 120 strands of hair.

The original agreement allows for the “summary termination” of his conditional license if Valenzuela fails to fulfill any condition. The May 18 decision of the Board added the requirement for hair screening and specified that failure to complete the required hair follicle testing would be deemed a positive test result and a violation of the conditional license agreement.

Steve 'StatMan'
07-02-2004, 11:50 PM
Oh GEEZ! Now, he wasn't shaving all these areas when this was all agreed to, right? And now he 'decides' to go hairless. Sheesh. That does it. He's must have REAL personal problems to do this and tempt fate again.

I think P.Val had better just get away from all the stress in life, and give up riding, which has got to be highly stressful. Reduce the stressors, add professional help, and regain the balance. I had to do similar in my life to handle career and personal stresses, and it was the best thing I ever did. I hope he finally does this for himself, he very well might save his life.

JackS
07-03-2004, 12:15 AM
I remember a few years ago when employers started requiring urine test,some employee's were beating it using Lasix. The Lasix is a diuretic which flushes the system of traces of recently used drugs. Do you think P. Val might have any access to Lasix?

Buddha
07-03-2004, 02:03 AM
he must feel a little guilty to shave his whole body. not many men that i know of shave pits, and pubes. or maybe he just had to cut some pounds to make weight. yea, that must be it.

i now fully believe, no matter how talented, or how hard a worker as trainers say he is, i dont think that he should be able to ride. period. he has pushed the rules too far, and keeps trying to.

my guess is he read on the net how much stuff hair follicle testing finds, and realized that "twisted" ankle and time off would catch up to him, as in a possible positive test

kenwoodallpromos
07-03-2004, 02:06 AM
A horse guy accessing lasix? Wow!
He shouls be bnanned for life- unless they castch him with a fellow jockey, proving he shaved all his areas because he's gay. Then they can bar him from all mounts except geldings/

KingChas
07-03-2004, 02:37 AM
Maybe they should geld PV.

mhrussell
07-03-2004, 03:05 AM
Well, this should be it.
I have supported P Val and his efforts for much of this prolonged agony of his. God knows we all have our personal demons we fight and compassion and mercy is often preferred to pure justice.

But this has crossed the line. He really needs some in-depth psychotherapy for many, many years to help him cope and finally, hopefully, get his life on track and keep it there once and for all.

With the potential for drugs in his system at any time and now his obvious mental instability (who in their right mind would "shave" themselves under these circumstances?) he is a risk to other riders in an already dangerous sport. I think everyone has given P Val more than the benefit of the doubt and numerous "second chances". His dance card just ran out and it's high time for him to go.

Bob- this is a very sad story.. thanks for posting it.. I had not heard anything about this until just now ( I have been handicapping all day)

talk soon re: Pick 6
have a happy 4th.

cj
07-03-2004, 05:19 AM
It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. I feel for the guy, but he does not belong on a horse.

I know the last suspension I posted something like, "If it happens again, and it will...", but never did I imagine it would be after one day!

stuball
07-03-2004, 08:50 AM
Was he ever receiving therapy or did he convince the board that he could beat this himself.......Sorry to hear such a bad sad story..
but IMHO this is what people on drugs do....lie .... steal....cheat
etc, etc, etc. to get to the next high....I feel sorry for him but that will never make a difference......numerous attemts to help him have failed miserably I would say....time to turn the page..

I usually don't post especially about things like this but I feel very
strongly about drug usuage...has ruined many a life and I'm really afraid this is another one ruined..

Stuball

keenang
07-03-2004, 09:26 AM
RACING HAS ENOUGH PROBLEMS.GET THIS GUY OUT OF RACING.

Tom
07-03-2004, 10:08 AM
When will they learn that this guy has absolutely no credibility and his word means NOTHING? Lifetime ban this time.

Buckeye
07-03-2004, 10:13 AM
I have to agree. No hair no job.

Pace Cap'n
07-03-2004, 10:42 AM
Lice?

brdman12
07-03-2004, 12:36 PM
I think we all knew that by treating him with kid gloves it was just a matter of time. He obviously has some major issues with the way he is being treated. And the way he is responding, he needs more treatment. He has become a detriment to his sport. Too bad he can't see that.

PaceAdvantage
07-03-2004, 02:10 PM
It's interesting that he DID submit to a urine test, and it tested negative.

Now we are hearing for the FIRST TIME about hair testing. I had no idea he had to submit to hair testing as well.

See, like I've said all along, nobody outside of the main participants EVER KNOWS the WHOLE STORY.

This whole thing has turned into a circus. The CHRB better get its act together, because its becoming obvious that PVal can't.

That doesn't mean that I don't think he should ride. If he's clean, he should be able to ride. That has been, and always will be my opinion.

ceejay
07-03-2004, 05:42 PM
Hank Greenberg on the P-Val issue (on ESPN), "I don't give a follicle."

PVAL will ride again IMO.

cj
07-04-2004, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
...That doesn't mean that I don't think he should ride. If he's clean, he should be able to ride. That has been, and always will be my opinion.

You need to wake up PA! You may not have known about the hair testing, but PVal sure the hell did! It was reported in the stories about his re-instatement. He signed the agreement.

Let him go hang out with Steve Howe, Lawrence Taylor, Dexter Manley, Roy Tarpley and Daryl Strawberry. Were you for all them playing as long as they were clean, too? Maybe they should just do tests as the horses enter the track. If your clean, you can ride. Might as well have breathalyzers too.

I can hear Trevor now..."Attention ladies and gentleman, we have a late jockey change on the 5. Fernando Valenzuela will now ride for Pat Valenzuela, who did some crack in the paddock!"

cj
07-04-2004, 06:14 AM
Okay Pa, think of it this way. Why should the racing officials have to go through this crap every day? Its on their shoulders to prove PValium is clean. They have to administer the tests, have them tested, and do all the work. Why can't they just say no thanks, hit the road. Are you telling me they are required to perform this service?

I know you say they are independent contractors, but someone has to be in charge of making sure the sport is safe. Why should they have to shoulder this unnecessary burden every day?

They have went out of there way to give him every chance in the book. His thanks, shaving his effing head and body hair to further test them.

cj
07-04-2004, 06:25 AM
I can't believe his quotes:

"My hair isn't long enough to test," he said. "They never asked me to grow hair. It's not my fault. I'm really irate."

"For the last four years, I've had my head bald," Valenzuela said. "I've always shaved the rest of it."

Anyone else ever seen him bald before? (I'm talking about his scalp!)

Dancer's Image
07-04-2004, 10:19 AM
Here is the complete article from DRF.com that CJ refers to...

Valenzuela suspended again
By STEVE ANDERSEN
INGLEWOOD, Calif. - Jockey Patrick Valenzuela, who was suspended for
the month of June for failing to submit to a drug test in January, was
suspended again by the Hollywood Park board of stewards on Friday for
failing to comply with a term of his conditional license that requires he
submit to a hair follicle test.

The latest suspension came one day after Valenzuela returned to riding
from the June suspension.

Valenzuela, 41, said he was unable to take the test because he had fully
shaved his body and could not provide a sample. According to a statement
released by the California Horse Racing Board, Valenzuela did not have a
sufficient quantity of hair on any part on his body. Hair follicle tests require
approximately 100 strands of hair.

Stewards Pete Pedersen, George Slender, and Tom Ward summarily
suspended Valenzuela. A hearing is scheduled for Friday. The suspension
led to Valenzuela being removed from his mounts from Friday through
Sunday.

In a telephone conversation late Friday, Valenzuela hotly disputed the
circumstances of the suspension, even though he was aware that a hair
follicle test was possible.

"My hair isn't long enough to test," he said. "They never asked me to grow
hair. It's not my fault. I'm really irate."

Valenzuela appeared before the Hollywood Park stewards on Friday when
he was informed of the suspension.

Valenzuela could face a lengthy suspension for failing to submit to the
test. The conditional license stipulated that Valenzuela could face
"summary termination" of his conditional license for failing to fulfill the
conditions.

Valenzuela was suspended for four months by the state racing board on
May 18 for missing a mandatory drug test in January, a violation of his
conditional license that has been in place since December 2001.
Valenzuela was given three months' credit for time served from late
January to late April and ordered to serve the remaining month in June.

As part of the May 18 decision, Valenzuela was ordered to complete 100
hours of community service by the end of the year and submit to
hair-follicle testing at the board's request "with or without probable
cause."

Another condition of the decision stated that "failure to submit to, or
failure to complete, the required hair follicle test under this decision is
deemed a positive test result and a violation of appellant's conditional
license and the decision."

Hair follicle testing is considered to be more comprehensive than urine
tests for prohibited substances.

"For the last four years, I've had my head bald," Valenzuela said. "I've
always shaved the rest of it."

Valenzuela submitted to at least two urine tests on Thursday, the first day
he was eligible to return to riding. The tests were negative.

The leading rider at all five major meetings in Southern California in 2003,
Valenzuela is known better for his numerous suspensions for substance
abuse violations than his win in the 1989 Kentucky Derby aboard Sunday
Silence. Since December 2001, Valenzuela has ridden under a conditional
license that forced him to submit to random urine tests when requested to
do so by the racing board.

Steve 'StatMan'
07-04-2004, 10:47 AM
I do recall P.Val. winning a stakes race at AP, probably in '02 or '03, and I think he was shaved bald then, which I thought was different, but I know people who do, so I didn't think much about it.

But the rest of him, including the pubes? Geez. When they sadly sometimes still refer to jockeys as boys, maybe he really wanted to look the part!

Dancer's Image
07-04-2004, 11:00 AM
It's interesting that he DID submit to a urine test, and it tested negative.

Now we are hearing for the FIRST TIME about hair testing. I had no idea he had to submit to hair testing as well.

See, like I've said all along, nobody outside of the main participants EVER KNOWS the WHOLE STORY.

This whole thing has turned into a circus. The CHRB better get its act together, because its becoming obvious that PVal can't.

That doesn't mean that I don't think he should ride. If he's clean, he should be able to ride. That has been, and always will be my opinion.

Well PA, at least you're consistent...you consistently aggravate the hell out of me and you consistently make no sense in your position about PVal!

Not very interesting that PVal submitted to a urine test on Thursday before resuming riding...he's submitted to many over the past 2.5 years and they've all been negative, no one disputes that. It's the tests that he did not submit to during the 3 week period starting Jan 22 that would have been interesting to see the results for.

And yes, now for the first time we're hearing about hair testing. Read the above article from the DRF.com by Anderson, apparently the hair testing is a new condition instituted at the May 18th hearing.

And yes, you've said all along that you didn't know the whole story, but you really only used that as an excuse to not answer a question when you didn't want to. Nobody has said they knew the whole story, nor is it necessary to know the whole story to have an opinion on whether PVal should be allowed to ride. The only facts necessary to know were that PVal was issued a conditional license that stipulated that he must submit to drug testing whenever requested by the stewards, and on Jan 22nd of this year he failed to submit to that request. On the basis of those 2 facts, any reasonable person (a subset which does not include yourself), could conclude that PVal's license should be suspended. Now we are being told that PVal violated another condition of his agreement with the stewards, ie. he has failed to submit to a hair follicle test. So how many conditions does PVal have to violate before his license should be suspended?

Note that is a rhetorical question since you have difficulty answering questions. You actually divulge your answer anyway in your last 3 sentences, to paraphrase, you believe PVal should be able to ride as long as he tests clean. So in your mind (which is totally devoid of any reason, logic, or fairness), PVal should not have to comply with any of the conditions of his agreement with the stewards. That's a helluva position to try to defend, but yet you keep repeating this position like it's something you're proud about. Do you realize how arrogant, illogical, and unfair that makes you appear? Once again, rhetorical...but I just wanted to point it out for you.

PaceAdvantage
07-04-2004, 07:22 PM
Get off my ass, will you DI? You've made your point, I've made mine.

As long as PVal tests clean BY WHATEVER MEASURE THE STEWARDS AND THE CHRB THINK ARE REQUIRED, he should be able to ride.

If the stewards and CHRB want to WASH THEIR HANDS OF THE WHOLE SITUATION, that's fine too. I am for whatever the stewards and those who are IN CHARGE (who know THE WHOLE STORY, or as much as possible) decide is appropriate.

Again, this has been my position all along. Why is this so unreasonable?

Perhaps if the CHRB and stewards would get their acts together, they wouldn't be made to look like fools by Pval.

Either grow some balls and kick him out for good, or continue to play the PVal game.

If they want to continue the game, then he should be allowed to ride if he tests negative. I can't remember the last time PVal tested positive for anything. Can you?

I don't want to go around the merry-go-round with you again DI, but I would like to point out that I have never been in favor of PVal ignoring any testing requirements agreed to by himself and the CHRB. I have never said that he shouldn't have to comply with the stewards. NEVER.

What I have said and will always say is that if he tests negative, and he wants to ride, and owners want to entrust him with their MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR ASSETS, then by all means, he should be allowed to ride.

Having a respected owner request that you take charge of some of their most prized possessions is quite an endorsement, don't you think?

Dancer's Image
07-04-2004, 07:56 PM
Get off my ass, will you DI? You've made your point, I've made mine.

In a word, NO, PA, I will not get off your ass until you face the facts. I've made my point; you've consistently ignored it. I don't know what your point is...you keep repeating over and over again how PVal should be able to ride if he tests clean. Everyone agrees on that, but that is not the issue. The issue is that PVal has on 2 occasions now, failed to submit to a drug test. That is a clear violation of his agreement with the stewards and his conditional license should be suspended. I have asked you on at least 6 different occasions, should PVal be allowed to ride in view of the fact that he violated the conditions of his license. That is a simple YES or NO question but you repeatedly reply that PVal should be allowed to ride if he tests clean. When you answer the question, I will get off your ass.

And then you say..."Again, this has been my position all along. Why is this so unreasonable?"...

It is unreasonable because it is not the reality of the agreement between PVal and the stewards regarding PVal's conditional license. You would like the agreement to be that as long as PVal tests clean for illegal drugs, that he should be allowed to ride. PVal might like that also, but that is not the whole of the agreement. That is part of the agreement, sure, he has to test clean for illegal drugs, but the other part of the agreement is that he must submit to the drug testing whenever the stewards request a test. That is the part PVal has not complied with. I agree with you; I know of no positive drug tests on PVal in the last 2.5 years; he's not stupid, when he can't pass a drug test, he doesn't take a drug test.

And then you posted..."I don't want to go around the merry-go-round with you again DI, but I would like to point out that I have never been in favor of PVal ignoring any testing requirements agreed to by himself and the CHRB. I have never said that he shouldn't have to comply with the stewards. NEVER."...

Thank you, PA that is more than an admission that I am right. There is only one way to answer my question to you, "Should PVal be allowed to ride in view of the fact that he violated the conditions of his conditional license?" You know PA, you're a lot like PVal, when you/PVal don't want to answer a question/take a drug test, you just fail to answer the question/fail to submit to the drug test. You might as well go all the way in imitating your hero and shave all your body hair.

And lastly you said..."Having a respected owner request that you take charge of some of their most prized possessions is quite an endorsement, don't you think?"...

This has never been about PVal's ability; I will agree that he is the greatest rider since JC rode into Jerusalem. But still shouldn't he have to comply with the conditions of his license? I know how you hate to answer questions so don't worry, you've already answered it...yes, of course he should! Happy 4th of July

PaceAdvantage
07-04-2004, 08:20 PM
Of course he should comply with the conditions of his license. I've never said he shouldn't.

I also said its within the steward's right, and the CHRB's right to further interpret and RE-EVALUATE the conditions of said license.

losealot
07-05-2004, 01:46 AM
Would someone kindly enlighten me?
I've been reading material for years regarding testing horses for drugs and never came across the hair follicle test.

If this drug is so much more effective, how about helping us handicappers out by using the test on horses?

I'm one who believes some winners run on a "masked' drug. The drug or drugs makes for form reversals that are difficult if not impossible to predict by conventional handicapping.

I'd like to see some state, any state, use this hair follicle test. Be prepared to see some very clean shaven horses...

To the point, can this test be used on horses and if so, why not?

losealot

kenwoodallpromos
07-05-2004, 04:01 AM
Testing of horses' hair is not practical because thoroughbreds would not look good with all their hair cut off their mane and tail to avoid testing.

PaceAdvantage
07-05-2004, 11:20 AM
That's an excellent point. Instead of harping on PVal and his drug problem, how about diving deep into the allegations that are constantly being passed around about TRAINERS using ILLEGAL DRUGS on their HORSES.

A much more SERIOUS crime in my opinion.

cj
07-05-2004, 12:07 PM
You'll get no argument from me there PA...they can start with Jeff Mullins.

Then, how about that guy Craig Roberson (sp?) that slipped in, won his first four races with new additions to the barn to begin the Hollywood meet, lost a couple after scratching a few, and slipped quietly back to Los Al?

Let PVal ride Mullins horses, there is bound to be a connection! :D

Storm Cadet
07-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Ok fellas..here is the facts about drug testing in the work place and the law as it pertains to jockeys. I have been involved with both athletic (NCAA and USOC) for 16 years as well as work place drug testing.

1. Each employer MUST have a drug test policy and procedures policy written up which each and every employee must sign prior to employment or later if the company begins testing after start date of employemnt. It should include the procedure, observed or not observed (urine, blood or hair)and type of test used (GC/MS, TLChromography) by the company testing lab. Chain of custudy needs to be identified as well as penalties involved for each positive test.

2. Substances being tested are to be identified prior to the test.

Since we DON't know details of what PVAL signed on for, how can we discuss what is right or wrong. If PVAL did not sign allowing hair testing, HE CANT BE TESTED that way. If he did sign an agreement, then he is bound to the procedures for testing as set forth by the stewards. But they better have it in their policies

The California stewards should make public their policies and procedures as the NCAA and USOC does as well as NBA, NFL MLB.

He keeps on passing urine test? What type of testing are they doing? At what levels are they setting their detection . Some colleges use 100 ng for marajuana, some 50 ng and some have 0 tolerance levels. Do they use a split (A/B) sample collection of one vial sent to lab. How are positives confirmed? To learn more on this subject check out: http://www.aegislabs.com/

Dancer's Image
07-05-2004, 11:07 PM
Storm Cadet,
Thank you for your informative post about drug testing in the workplace. This is from the DRF article which I posted in this thread on 7/4 at 0719...

"As part of the May 18 decision, Valenzuela was ordered to complete 100
hours of community service by the end of the year and submit to
hair-follicle testing at the board's request "with or without probable
cause."

So now with that out of the way, may we resume the discussion?

Tom
07-05-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski

Let PVal ride Mullins horses, there is bound to be a connection! :D

Ahhh, the wisdom of Solomon...

Tom
07-05-2004, 11:53 PM
So what did he do for CS for 100 hours?

freeneasy
07-06-2004, 12:01 AM
and the thing is is that pa is absolutely correct about someone who is absolutely guilty.
mr. valium ( i couldnt resist using that one cj, to funny not to) has been able to dance his way between the raindrops and not get caught. he cannot be fully convicted of that which he is obviously guilty of. and the suspentions he recieved for violations of those parts of the agreements that were of the lesser infractions were in line . the man, ukaleili in hand, knows how to tiptoe thru the tulips.
and the possibility that he will soon be reinstated is very good depending. and the possibility that he will be able to continue to ride without giving a hair test might also be very good.
why? because he can claim that his rights, human rights, are being violated in two ways.
when a crime is committed and only in certain situations, can you be required and or forced to give blood, hair, urine or any other parts of your body for testing.
pat vals argument can be this and that is, at a minimal, if a crime cannot be proven to visually exist then how can he be required to allow parts of his body to be manually or physically extracted, namely hair or blood, for testing. urine is not the same type of body extraction as hair or blood.
it is a violation of his rights and he can argue that a visably blatent and obvious reason would be neccessary to envoke a demand that requires testing. example, visually obsevable of obvious swerving and irratic driving, you are considered drunk until you pass a sorbrity test.
its an arguement and a legitimate one and he can use that to say in order to ride he is being forced to sign agreements that submit him to testings that are against his rights.
ok, all that failed, but he signed an agreement giving the chrb permission to conduct random testing for drugs in his system? true but heres the mind of a drug addict always trying to stay one step ahead of the game. you ready? oh, he's slick alright, i'll tell ya that.
pat val being the good drug addict that he is has probably known about the testing of hair folicles either since or shortly after it was brought into legal use.
pat val knew for himself that it did stand to make sense that a time could come when folicle testing could and or would come to play a part in his riding carreer and knew if he was to continue his drug use and still ride then he would definently have to find a way to prepare for it.
how? start shaving and use your contitutional rights, invasion of privacy perhaps to protect those rights.
how? he can say, ive been shaving my body since before i ever came to agreement with the new terms of my reinstatement set down by the chrb and that includes before any agreements were reached as to the conditions that govern the reinstatement to resume my carreer. and since shaving himself is a part of his daily life any such use of force that would inhibit, restrict or remove him from that part or any part of his life considered as a daily and or normal routine, such as keeping his body shaved, is a violation of his constitutional rights to freely and legally conduct his life as a citizen of the united states.
and it seems to me that, hey ya know what? he's right. and to coin a phrase, he's got the chrb by the short hairs. yeah pat, you a drug addict baby. aw-ite?

Dancer's Image
07-06-2004, 11:13 AM
Freeneasy,
Very interesting analysis. You are so right. But, like they tell you at the DMV when you get too many points on your driving license, a license is a privilege, not a right. The CHRB has the authority to revoke PVal's conditional license; they didn't have to give him a conditional license in the first place, and only did so because of PVal's talent(preferential treatment). Now if they suspend/revoke his license, I'm not sure which way the court would rule as PVal would surely sue the CHRB for violating his rights. The CHRB doesn't seem to have the will to fight PVal; there are certainly many in the CHRB and/or the TOC who want to see PVal riding regardless of his drug status; so they might not even suspend PVal let alone fight him in court should they suspend his license and have him file in court against them. Let's see how this plays out...first act, this friday.

mhrussell
07-06-2004, 09:42 PM
Tom

I think he interned/mentored somewhere at a local LA area "Supercuts" or "Fantastic Sams" :eek:

kenwoodallpromos
07-07-2004, 08:06 PM
Let's just suspend all trainers and jockeys for 1 meet if they finish the prior meet with over 20% wins.

CryingForTheHorses
07-08-2004, 07:29 PM
That's an excellent point. Instead of harping on PVal and his drug problem, how about diving deep into the allegations that are constantly being passed around about TRAINERS using ILLEGAL DRUGS on their HORSES.

A much more SERIOUS crime in my opinion.

Hmm I have to jump into this thread.

Trainers that dope their horses in my opinion dont have a clue as to how to really make them win legally.Horses take maintainance, Just like a car, whether it be " vet work ' shoeing, shots worming whatever! Ive had the worst horse in a race and won and didnt have to cheat,I really dont know what kind of Firejuice you could use?.I myself would be for Hair testing on horses.,Not hard to rub your hand on a horse and get hair...If thats the hair they would use?.Ive seen reports on trainers using cocaine on horses over the years but again I think proper placement and training will win you more races.A lot of thes guys that cheat arent horseman, They are the epitine of ignorance,

CryingForTheHorses
07-08-2004, 07:32 PM
Gee Thanks Ken!!

Tom
07-08-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by mhrussell
Tom

I think he interned/mentored somewhere at a local LA area "Supercuts" or "Fantastic Sams" :eek:

LOL

kenwoodallpromos
07-09-2004, 02:15 AM
I just hear a lot of complaining when trainers win too much and are suspected of using drugs, and jockeys who win too much are said to need much longer suspensions.
I could think up things I do not like about the way any trainers race their horses, or any jockeys run their races.
But I find it much more productive to just look at the DRF and make sure they are competent, and let the officials take care of the rest.
Northern Ca Jockey Russell Baze is currently on suspension foe splitting horses last week. I expect him to get caught in traffic a lot when he gets back.

Dancer's Image
07-09-2004, 02:02 PM
I was looking for a report on PVal's meeting with the stewards, which was supposed to be held today, but apparently it will now be held next Thursday...

Posted: 7/8/2004 3:28:00 PM ET (in Thoroughbred Times)

Stewards set date for Valenzuela hearing

Hollywood Park stewards will conduct a formal hearing concerning the summary suspension of jockey Patrick Valenzuela on July 15, beginning at 10 a.m. PDT in their office.
Valenzuela was ordered off all his mounts and suspended by the stewards on July 2, one day after returning from a 30-day suspension, when he failed to provide samples of his hair for drug testing. The 41-year-old rider had completely shaven his head, chest, armpits, and pubic hair, which are the only areas of his body that could provide a sufficient quantity of hair follicles for testing.
Valenzuela did provide a urine sample, which tested negative for drugs.

CryingForTheHorses
07-11-2004, 09:42 AM
I think the jockey's should be tested as soon as they reach the jocks room for the days races.Woodbine always gives the riders a breathalizer.I think they need to make them pee in a cup each day! And have a qualified chemist check it in the jocks room. Newyork tests horses before and after a race!!.I think this would STOP a lot of this drug use.A jock wouldnt be so apt to take this crap if he knew the next morn he would be tested.It would weed out the druggies for sure. This would make it easier for the stewards and the racing commssion to make their desisions on whether to let them ride or not.A honest jockey wouldnt protest, But the druggies will be the ones to squawk.I think they should also test a jock after he has finished in the money, Just like the horse,Would make the game more honest in my opinion.

Tom
07-11-2004, 12:50 PM
P Val's wife is interviewed by Roger Stein Saturday. Interesting listening. It's at rogerstein.com - go to radio shows/archives/July11 show.

cj
07-11-2004, 12:52 PM
I'm lazy, what was interesting?

Tom
07-11-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
I'm lazy, what was interesting?

She rufutes a lot of the stuff posted over as DelMar's forum, and refutes a lot of stuff P Val has said - such as he NEVER used to shave his whole body, talks about his window of opportunity, gives the real stuff behind some of his excuses for failure to show up for testing - like his phony flu, and how she actaully helped him.
Bottom line, she is afraid what the drugs are doing to the man, not the jockey, not the showman.

CryingForTheHorses
07-11-2004, 05:26 PM
Tom, I tried to listen to that show but good ole webtv wont let me.
Refutes means
confute
controvert
disprove
deny
dispute

My question is, Did she deny that PVal was on drugs,Did she say she disproved of this..Did she dispute that he is clean?,Did she let you think in her words that she is worried not only for " The Man " but for herself and their marriage? Does she agree that PVal needs help? Was she talking against her husband, Cause if she is, Thats a very bad sign that things are VERY wrong.Sad thing about this stuff..You end up in the garbage can.I do hope he has the good sense to check into a rehab before he ends up like a few other jocks tht are 6 feet under.Such a GREAT rider
such a WASTE

Tom
07-11-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by McSchell_Racing
My question is, Did she deny that PVal was on drugs,Did she say she disproved of this..Did she dispute that he is clean?,Did she let you think in her words that she is worried not only for " The Man " but for herself and their marriage? Does she agree that PVal needs help? Was she talking against her husband, Cause if she is, Thats a very bad sign that things are VERY wrong.Sad thing about this stuff..You end up in the garbage can.I do hope he has the good sense to check into a rehab before he ends up like a few other jocks tht are 6 feet under.Such a GREAT rider such a WASTE

She said he has a serious drug problem and is in denial. He laughs at people close to him who try to help him. I believe it was meth anphetimines he uses. She did not talk negatively about him, only truthfully. She said his health is a grave concern becasue he has experienced chest pains during his withdrawls but won't seek help. Apparently a of posters at DelMar are down on here and making accustations about her. Some things that have been said can be proven untrue by documents she has but has not made public. I got the impression Roger is trying to get to release these and she seemed to be receptive.
Very sad story. All the people around him are concerned with is his ability to ride winners fro them. Leeches? He is being protected to death probably.
:(

CryingForTheHorses
07-11-2004, 07:58 PM
Thankyou Tom!
Some people dont know ow good they have it ..until its gone.