PDA

View Full Version : Songbird vs Nyquist

TMQ
05-08-2016, 02:00 AM
Who would be favored in the Preakness?
I would have to take Songbird..... ;)

chadk66
05-08-2016, 08:11 AM
yep. and I think she would handle him. she's freaky fast.

SecretAgentMan
05-08-2016, 09:32 AM
Damn I would love to see this, but I doubt she will be healthy enough, also, there's no way racing doesn't want an undefeated Nyquist going for the triple crown.

I hope Songbird runs in the Belmont. What will we all think of Nyquist if he beats Songbird in the Belmont & wins the triple crown? Will we put him ahead of Pharaoh? He will be 10 for 10.

Lemon Drop Husker
05-08-2016, 09:41 AM
If Songbird were to run in the Belmont it would be her first race back after her illness. That is an awfully tall order for a 3YO to take on 12 panels off a layoff; especially for a filly taking on the boys for the first time. The connections would never hear the end of it if something happened to her in that race.

IMO, the Preakness would have been the race for her to take him on. That ain't going to happen. Maybe one of the summer classics, but I doubt Nyquist runs again after the Belmont.

PowerUpPaynter
05-08-2016, 09:43 AM
Na he could never over take Pharoah, cause Pharoah broke the streak. His Belmont time and Breeders cup classic beyer cement him an all time horse.

burnsy
05-08-2016, 10:07 AM
Speculation of speculations.........the horse was sick, missed a race that was planned for months and she's the favorite over this beast? You guys are out of your mind. If Songbirds "come back" race is vs. these. I'll toss her.

They would be out of their minds not to give her something easier if and when she comes back. The track was fast yesterday but those horses were not screwing around.....it was fast, fast, fast. She's quick but she's never seen the likes of Danzig Candy or Gun Runner, let alone Nyquist. People think its so easy but that's a deal where she could get eaten for lunch. Did you see the Kentucky Oaks? It wasn't much besides the winner and Cathryn Sophia beat the same ones the same way Songbird has been doing. This gives me the impression that besides Cathryn Sophia and Songbird there's not much there. If Songbird made it she might of gotten a run for her money because that other horse won for fun, like a good thing.

With any sport, I don't care what it is. The worst possible scenario is not being able to "suit up". If Golden State does not get Stephen Curry back, they will be hurting eventually. Even if he plays now, you don't know for sure what you will get....its just common sense and the way athletics work. Mortals don't just "bounce back" from physical ailments......it takes time. Once a horse gets sick. misses training and comes back.....its wait and see. If this were my horse you guys would all be fired......sorry. Even the Belmont is only 5 weeks away, if she were to win big before then........maybe.....but by then you may be tangling with a real tiger. People talk about the "bounce", its all I hear around here. The really good ones get better, we all saw it last year. By June Nyquist or one of these other contenders may be a real powerhouse. Nyquist already is one!

I probably should keep my mouth shut. I don't like "Speculation threads" anyway. I always get in trouble when I read these, what ifs, candy, nuts, big butts. I tend to do my speculation on tickets and numbers, so I am sorry. But the real laugher is you people are telling folks that a horse that's faced physical adversity, is coming out of a weaker division is readily going to beat this monster? This is NOT Mine That Bird, you guys realize that, I hope?

outofthebox
05-08-2016, 10:09 AM
Lets hope Songbird remains healthy and gets to the Acorn vs Cathryn Sophia and others. The Preakness was never in the thought of her connections. As for Nyquist, he makes no mistakes and gets the job done.

Secondbest
05-08-2016, 10:30 AM
Is she even training?

TMQ
05-09-2016, 04:52 PM
Is she even training?

Not sure... I imagine they will take there time getting her racing again.

woodbinepmi
05-09-2016, 05:44 PM
Is she even training?
Her last posted work was April 4th, so no she's not training.

FrankieFigs
05-09-2016, 05:45 PM
When is the Pacific Classic? End of August? May be the earliest we see these 2 meet (if even at all).

cj
05-09-2016, 06:26 PM
http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/songbird-happy-to-be-back/

TMQ
05-09-2016, 07:34 PM
http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/songbird-happy-to-be-back/
Glad to see she is already back at the track! :ThmbUp:

chadk66
05-09-2016, 09:46 PM
he is nowhere close to AP in terms of talent/ability.

SandyW
05-09-2016, 11:29 PM
If Songbird were to run in the Belmont it would be her first race back after her illness. That is an awfully tall order for a 3YO to take on 12 panels off a layoff; especially for a filly taking on the boys for the first time. The connections would never hear the end of it if something happened to her in that race.

IMO, the Preakness would have been the race for her to take him on. That ain't going to happen. Maybe one of the summer classics, but I doubt Nyquist runs again after the Belmont.

The owner of Nyquist loves to run his horses. I highly doubt that Reddam would retire him after The Belmont. He and his family enjoy the spotlight.
This horse is as fresh as you can be going into The Preakness.
Nyquist couldn't blow out a match after The Derby.

SandyW
05-09-2016, 11:34 PM
he is nowhere close to AP in terms of talent/ability.
We shall see, only time will tell. So far he looks pretty good and has beat everyone that has been thrown at him.

chadk66
05-10-2016, 09:35 AM
We shall see, only time will tell. So far he looks pretty good and has beat everyone that has been thrown at him.true. but those weren't that good. even in the derby. that was an extremely weak derby field.

bobphilo
05-13-2016, 12:00 PM
This horse is as fresh as you can be going into The Preakness.
Nyquist couldn't blow out a match after The Derby.

Have to disagree. This horses leaves it all on the track. If you look at the the video of him being walked to the Winner's Circle after the Derby you will see his head hanging low with fatigue. He had every right to be tired after chasing a hot pace and still digging deep to hold off any late challenge.
Not to knock his chances in the Preakness, he can come back from physical fatigue as he has in the past. As long as he remains sound I wouldn't dismiss his future chances a bit.