PDA

View Full Version : ... and its on the the Preakness

PowerUpPaynter
05-08-2016, 12:51 AM
Good Day,

SO who do you think goes on to run in the Preakness?

Nyquist very much the best. Horse is better then I thought.

PowerUpPaynter
05-08-2016, 09:11 AM
Danzing Candy heading back to CA

Mohaymen will not be back in any Triple Crown Races pointed toward Travers

PowerUpPaynter
05-08-2016, 09:12 AM
Stradivari in Preakness for Pletcher

Mor Spirit out of Preakness, Collected in for Baffert.

PowerUpPaynter
05-08-2016, 09:14 AM
Gun Runner and Creator decisions coming later this week as per Asmussen.

SecretAgentMan
05-08-2016, 09:15 AM
Nyquist will probably go off 3-5 or even 2-5 in the Preakness. The horses that ran against him in the derby have no shot IMO.

PhantomOnTour
05-08-2016, 09:43 AM
Clearly it's their choice, but I wouldn't take Gun Runner to Baltimore.
Yes, he will likely get a check, but Nyquist simply sat all over him and outclassed him when the real running began.
He'll do the same thing in the Preakness.

PowerUpPaynter
05-08-2016, 09:51 AM
Early Preakness probables per MD Jockey Club officials: Nyquist, Exaggerator, Collected, Laoban, Cherry Wine, Awesome Speed, Uncle Lino

Race could have some pace, Nyquist could run a huge beyer in this one. Think he is one that will run as fast as he needs to.

$100 Exacta Nyquist w/ Exagggerator - its just that simple

f2tornado
05-08-2016, 10:30 AM
$100 Exacta Nyquist w/ Exagggerator - its just that simple

Probably right but I think Exaggerator will like minus half panel and won't be stuck in traffic. Has a better chance there but Preakness tends to favor horses with style up front. At least I can play dime super again but probably need a lot of dimes to make much.

Secondbest
05-08-2016, 10:33 AM
Stradivari in Preakness for Pletcher

Mor Spirit out of Preakness, Collected in for Baffert.
I was wondering about that. I might be wrong but didn't he run a 147.4 in his last?

yankeelpn
05-08-2016, 01:29 PM
Does anyone else think that only horse that have earned points be allowed to run in the rest of the Triple Crown races? Just my opinion.

SecretAgentMan
05-08-2016, 01:39 PM
Does anyone else think that only horse that have earned points be allowed to run in the rest of the Triple Crown races? Just my opinion.

I think only the horses that ran in the derby should be allowed in the Preakness & Belmont, while others don't agree with me.

We would have had another 5 triple crown winners if that was the case, probably more. Horses like Birdstone coming fresh in to the Belmont after getting destroyed by Smarty Jones IMO isn't fair.

depalma113
05-08-2016, 02:27 PM

Why should any three year-old ever be banned from a three year-old race that isn't over subscribed?

Rex Phinney
05-08-2016, 03:21 PM
Exaggerator IMO has Preakness skip and run in the Belmont written all over him. Any plan other than that for him is a mistake IMO.

He can't beat Nyquist at the Preakness distance, and I don't think the Pimlico track plays to his style.

woodbinepmi
05-08-2016, 03:59 PM
I think only the horses that ran in the derby should be allowed in the Preakness & Belmont, while others don't agree with me.

We would have had another 5 triple crown winners if that was the case, probably more. Horses like Birdstone coming fresh in to the Belmont after getting destroyed by Smarty Jones IMO isn't fair.
So if you had a 3 year old that you paid $200,000 and gets a quarter crack three weeks from the Derby and you can't run him, then he's not allowed to run in either the Preakness or Belmont? Yea, that's not going to happen. Sounds like that previous sour grapes nutty owner of California Chrome. Why don't you go ahead and restrict horses from the Travers or hell, you can't run in the Derby because you didn't run in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile. Running in one race has nothing to do with running in another race.

dilanesp
05-08-2016, 04:02 PM

Why is the goal to have 5 more Triple Crown winners? The fact that it is hard is exactly what makes it special.

horses4courses
05-08-2016, 04:17 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/211494/preakness-field-beginning-to-take-form

FrankieFigs
05-08-2016, 05:14 PM
Why is the goal to have 5 more Triple Crown winners? The fact that it is hard is exactly what makes it special.

Amen to that.

But on the flip side of this, perhaps we should make it easier on horses to win the Triple Crown. Fits right in with the "let's give every kid a trophy so their feelings aren't hurt" philosophy.... :D :rolleyes:

cj
05-08-2016, 07:19 PM

If this were the case winning a Triple Crown wouldn't be any big deal. Some Belmont's would be walkovers. How is that good?

cj
05-08-2016, 07:20 PM
Exaggerator IMO has Preakness skip and run in the Belmont written all over him. Any plan other than that for him is a mistake IMO.

He can't beat Nyquist at the Preakness distance, and I don't think the Pimlico track plays to his style.

I think he'd have a better shot in the Preakness to be honest, smaller field to navigate.

PowerUpPaynter
05-08-2016, 07:26 PM
I would be shocked if Nyquist loses in the Preakness and probably equally as shocked if he wins at Belmont.

Raider
05-08-2016, 08:08 PM

Only allowing horses that ran in the Derby to run in the other TC races, no
Only allowing horses that have points from the prep races, maybe.
Only allowing horses that have been nominated for the TC, sure

rastajenk
05-08-2016, 09:09 PM
The points are only there to restrict the Derby field to 20. The Preakness never has that problem, why should Pimlico care about Derby points? Why would it sign on to something that could or would limit its field for no good reason?

Why is it so easy to forget that the Triple Crown is three individual events, it's not a Survivor series?

Nitro
05-08-2016, 10:16 PM
A true Triple Crown winner takes on all comers in all 3 of the TC races.
Limiting the Preakness or Belmont to just KY Derby runners would be pretty boring. Why would anyone want to see the same winner beating those it beat already in the Derby? Where's the challenge?

I believe Nyquist has an excellent shot at the TC this year (and not because of it's numbers). Its plain and simple this horse has Class and obviously the will to win. The only way he loses to Exaggerator is if the track conditions come up OFF. But then again we really have no idea how Nyquist handles an OFF track. Although some have said the surface in the FL Derby wasn’t particularly dry and fast.

I also believe that in order for Exaggerator to try and beat Nyquist he’ll probably have to run closer to the pace. He already tried that in the San Felipe and tired at 1 1/6 miles. I think the Desormeaux’s realize what the optimum running style for their horse is. Unfortunately, if the tracks in MD and NY come up FAST he’ll have no shot at beating Nyquist. Closers don’t fair very well in either race unless there’s a ton of early speed which doesn’t seem to be the case this year.

VigorsTheGrey
05-08-2016, 10:39 PM
Limiting the Preakness or Belmont to just KY Derby runners would be pretty boring. Why would anyone want to see the same winner beating those it beat already in the Derby? Where's the challenge?

I believe Nyquist has an excellent shot at the TC this year (and not because of it's numbers). Its plain and simple this horse has Class and obviously the will to win. The only way he loses to Exaggerator is if the track conditions come up OFF. But then again we really have no idea how Nyquist handles an OFF track. Although some have said the surface in the FL Derby wasn’t particularly dry and fast.

I also believe that in order for Exaggerator to try and beat Nyquist he’ll probably have to run closer to the pace. He already tried that in the San Felipe and tired at 1 1/6 miles. I think the Desormeaux’s realize what the optimum running style for their horse is. Unfortunately, if the tracks in MD and NY come up FAST he’ll have no shot at beating Nyquist. Closers don’t fair very well in either race unless there’s a ton of early speed which doesn’t seem to be the case this year.

How does the whole "Bounce Theory" play into these multiple repeat winners? Are certain horses just bouncers? Or do their Beyers or whatever have to be x higher than last?

Nitro
05-08-2016, 11:14 PM
How does the whole "Bounce Theory" play into these multiple repeat winners? Are certain horses just bouncers? Or do their Beyers or whatever have to be x higher than last?
It doesn’t play into it at all if the horse just keeps on winning!
I never believed in the term “bouncing”, but if there’s any truth to it I would think that it relates to when a horse runs a really competitive tough race (win or lose) and shows nothing the next time out.

Well obviously the stress of the previous race took a lot out of it's running capabilities. Today it goes even beyond that because these horses in N.A. are running with Lasix. So not only does the trainer have to concern himself with how the horse comes out of the race, he also has to wait for the horse to recover from all the fluid loss due to the lasix. That’s probably why the majority of trainers these days wait so long between races to run their horses. Of course this fluid recovery will also impact a horse’s workout efforts and schedule.

So I think there’s more going on then using a simple term like “bounce” as the description for the cause of a poor performance.

beefas
05-08-2016, 11:23 PM
Will we see a Sharp azteca in the preakness ? :cool:

Dahoss2002
05-09-2016, 02:47 AM

The owners of the Pimlico and Belmont would probably cancel the race when only 5-6 horses show up. Unless you pay the purse money. It is ridiculous to place restrictions like that unless all 3 tracks have some kind of monetary agreement to do so. 20 horses run in KY Derby and 5 left for Belmont. Really? :bang:

PowerUpPaynter
05-09-2016, 06:27 AM

Could end up with some speed in preakness

Nitro
05-10-2016, 11:17 AM
Could end up with some speed in preakness
Of course there’s always a chance that a couple of early speed types will be entered in the Preakness. But we’ve already witnessed how Nyquist handled Danzig Candy @ 1 ¼ miles. So running in a similar fashion for 1 3/16 miles shouldn’t be an issue, and if there’s no early speed to speak of, Nyquist can simply wire them.

SecretAgentMan
05-10-2016, 11:20 AM
Of course there’s always a chance that a couple of early speed types will be entered in the Preakness. But we’ve already witnessed how Nyquist handled Danzig Candy @ 1 ¼ miles. So running in a similar fashion for 1 3/16 miles shouldn’t be an issue, and if there’s no early speed to speak of, Nyquist can simply wire them.

IMO, Nyquist will either be 2nd for half a mile & then take the lead & win or wire the field.

VigorsTheGrey
05-10-2016, 11:59 AM

sharp azteca - nyquist exacta box, wires the field...

charm city whizz
05-10-2016, 01:05 PM
Has to be the fastest any horse has shipped up to pimlico, when owners make that turn onto winners ave they may wonder why they have thier multi million dollar horse lingering in such a bad neighborhood for 2 weeks, im actually floored by it

With that said pimlico is just an awesome place to attend live racing

PowerUpPaynter
05-10-2016, 02:41 PM
72 times in 140 Preakness' the favorite has won and the longest odds ever for a Preakness winner was 23-1

Rex Phinney
05-10-2016, 06:38 PM
I think he'd have a better shot in the Preakness to be honest, smaller field to navigate.

He'll never get there on that track, by the time he starts moving Nyquist is going to be long gone on the front end. Plus the smaller the field size the more likely we are to see noone challenge on the front end.

clocker7
05-10-2016, 07:22 PM
There couldn't have been a more rabid fan of Nyquist than I going into the KD. But I must say, his effort there seemed to be way more taxing than what he expericenced in the FL Derby.

Those who heavily bet against him in the KD committed suicide. But those who judiciously pick their spots in the Preakness could make amends. A hundred bucks or so going against the common wisdom is worth it, imo.

dilanesp
05-10-2016, 07:59 PM
There couldn't have been a more rabid fan of Nyquist than I going into the KD. But I must say, his effort there seemed to be way more taxing than what he expericenced in the FL Derby.

Those who heavily bet against him in the KD committed suicide. But those who judiciously pick their spots in the Preakness could make amends. A hundred bucks or so going against the common wisdom is worth it, imo.

I agree that this was a taxing effort.

One thing about this situation, however, is that we already know that Reddam and O'Neill do not have Triple Crown fever. They pulled I'll Have Another out and did the right thing for the horse. So if you see them running in the Preakness, there's probably a somewhat greater likelihood than with other connections that the horse is 100 percent.

I'm likely to bet Collected if the track is fast and Exaggerator if it isn't.

Nitro
05-11-2016, 12:39 AM
I agree that this was a taxing effort.

One thing about this situation, however, is that we already know that Reddam and O'Neill do not have Triple Crown fever. They pulled I'll Have Another out and did the right thing for the horse. So if you see them running in the Preakness, there's probably a somewhat greater likelihood than with other connections that the horse is 100 percent.

I'm likely to bet Collected if the track is fast and Exaggerator if it isn't.
I beg to differ. Nyquist’s race in the Derby was on par with his current ability, and only further demonstrated its apparent will to Win. Other then following a rapid pace throughout on what most people believed to be a very fast racing surface, Nyquist had a clear run and didn’t experience any unusual racing abnormalities that would have caused additional effort and physical strain.

Beyond that I’m not sure how many people noticed the run-out after the finish line, but I certainly would have expected to see Exaggerator run right on by Nyquist based on its powerful closing move. Instead, we saw Nyquist continue on the lead with Exaggerator looking like the one who was losing energy from a arduous final run at the leader.

I also believe that Nyquist has a conditioning edge based on it’s racing schedule: Having established a solid foundation last year and then not returning to race for 3 ½ months this year. Then we have to consider having raced only twice before the Derby with 1 ½ months off between those 2 races and over a month off before the Derby. I think O’Neill has had brilliant strategy for getting this versatile horse through the rigors of a TC campaign.

Of course, anything can happen during the next 5 weeks that might interrupt or prevent Nyquist from achieving that goal. In the back of my mind I always reminisce about what happened to Spectacular Bid prior to the Belmont Stakes. If any horse could have been considered a lock to win the TC it might have been the “Bid”. Many believe as I do one that it was one of the Classiest animals to ever hit the race track and on par with all the great ones from the 70’s.

clocker7
05-11-2016, 01:12 PM
I think that Nyquist exerted down the stretch last Saturday, far more than he did in the FL Derby. It was his latter effort that gave me so much confidence leading into Louisville. Heading to Pimlico ... not so much.

tucker6
05-11-2016, 01:27 PM
I think that Nyquist exerted down the stretch last Saturday, far more than he did in the FL Derby. It was his latter effort that gave me so much confidence leading into Louisville. Heading to Pimlico ... not so much.
agree. I thought Nyquist topped out with a 1/16 to go, and that is why Mario kept looking back for challengers. Luckily for him, I believe Exaggerator topped out as well with around a 1/16 to go.

SecretAgentMan
05-11-2016, 02:02 PM
agree. I thought Nyquist topped out with a 1/16 to go, and that is why Mario kept looking back for challengers. Luckily for him, I believe Exaggerator topped out as well with around a 1/16 to go.

After the finish line, Nyquist kept going, & Exaggerator & SBN were closingb& still couldn't pass Nyquist after the wire. Nyquist might have been getting tired, but I couldn't see it. Nyquist for some reason will.not allow a horse to go by him.

Tom
05-11-2016, 03:17 PM
We have not seen the best of Nyquist yet.
Prediction - Preakness Beyer - 108-110.

Belmont ordering extra hot dogs for the big day in June.:p

Rex Phinney
05-11-2016, 05:01 PM
We have not seen the best of Nyquist yet.
Prediction - Preakness Beyer - 108-110.

Belmont ordering extra hot dogs for the big day in June.:p

I'm going to agree.

What part of the Derby was so taxing? He got a perfect trip, I mean absolutely perfect, and he ran the entire stretch without even a single horse coming within a length of him.

Now he is going to a shorter distance and a track that is even friendlier to speed, he rolls in the Preakness. This year's 3YO look even worse than last years.

clocker7
05-11-2016, 05:11 PM
I'm going to agree.

What part of the Derby was so taxing? He got a perfect trip, I mean absolutely perfect, and he ran the entire stretch without even a single horse coming within a length of him.

Now he is going to a shorter distance and a track that is even friendlier to speed, he rolls in the Preakness. This year's 3YO look even worse than last years.
Last year's crop--aside from AP--was pathetic. What did it do in the BCC ... or since? I didn't see anything in Dubai that would change my mind. I'd put up Exaggerator against any of the crud from 2015.

What I remember seeing is Nyquist being spanked pretty good when he seemed to be laboring a bit. Granted, he deserves props for running so fast early. But I question about how depleting his effort was.

Andrick
05-18-2016, 07:30 AM

I just read another post of yours a short while ago saying that racing wasn't far from being a dead sport. This post from you here is encouraging it to take one step more towards this "dead sport" becoming a reality. Think of the trickle down effect of your suggestion and what kind of negative financial impact it would have towards the track itself, and subsequently how that effects the racing at Belmont as a whole.

As far as being "fair" what races are actually "fair" based on what you describe here where we see all the participating horses enter the gates at equal conditioning? Every weekend we see horses competing against each other at various points in their form cycle. Horses are coming in off a layoff all the time and competing against others who are in their 3rd race of their cycle. Those are in turn competing against other horses who may be 6 or 7 races into their cycle and haven't had an extended break for months. Are those races not "fair" as well based on your reasoning?

arw629
05-18-2016, 07:48 AM
Nyquist at 50 cents on the dollar vs this field seems like a great bet to me...he has beaten exxxagertor 4 times and exxxagertor is the main contender? Taking 4-1 on him is a horrible proposition in my mind...also, when was the last time a non KY Derby entrant won the Preakness? Unless you swallow 1-2 how can anyone else possibly make sense or make for a "good" bet

arw629
05-18-2016, 08:00 AM
I can see team Exxxagertor throw a curveball in this race...the horse used to.race much closer to the lead and has tactical speed ....maybe they come out guns blazing as did Frosted 2015 Travers? I just can't see Nyquist losing but don't be surprised if you see different tactics from Exaggerator

Mc990
05-18-2016, 09:00 AM
Nyquist at 50 cents on the dollar vs this field seems like a great bet to me...he has beaten exxxagertor 4 times and exxxagertor is the main contender? Taking 4-1 on him is a horrible proposition in my mind...also, when was the last time a non KY Derby entrant won the Preakness? Unless you swallow 1-2 how can anyone else possibly make sense or make for a "good" bet

What would you make the "money line" if it were a match race between Nyquist and Exaggerator? By money line I mean like Nyq-200, Ex +180, for example

acorn54
05-18-2016, 09:41 AM
i remember in tom ainslies book on handicapping tom, saying its hazardous at best to bet dollars to win nickels.
if one can't find a good case for opposition against nyquist it's best to pass on this race imo. although i myself probably won't take my advice 100%, as i always like to root for the underdog.

dilanesp
05-18-2016, 12:23 PM
I can see team Exxxagertor throw a curveball in this race...the horse used to.race much closer to the lead and has tactical speed ....maybe they come out guns blazing as did Frosted 2015 Travers? I just can't see Nyquist losing but don't be surprised if you see different tactics from Exaggerator

No way.

He has run the best two races of his life as a deep closer. Plus, he moves way up on the mud- his Santa Anita Derby race is good enough to win the Preakness.

rastajenk
05-18-2016, 12:48 PM
What's your definition of a deep closer? In the SA Derby, he caught the leaders at the top of the stretch.

dilanesp
05-18-2016, 12:57 PM
What's your definition of a deep closer? In the SA Derby, he caught the leaders at the top of the stretch.

How far back was he early?

Robert Fischer
05-18-2016, 01:36 PM
Going to be much harder for Nyquist to put away a game Collected than it was to pass a 'cooked' Danzing Candy. Different race shape. Could very well require Nyquist to either be more active or to duel late.

Exaggerator is kind of at the mercy of these others tactical speed and the race shape.
Gunning Exaggerator isn't going to really help.
Running 'his race' gives him the best shot.
If the cheaper speeds like Laoban and Uncle Lino have a good day and manage to make horses like Nyquist and Collected work too hard, then Exaggerator has a good chance to storm home a winner. If not, he has a solid shot to hit the board as in the Derby, even if a speed wins.

SecretAgentMan
05-18-2016, 06:12 PM
The Preakness field, in post position order, with riders and morning-line odds:

1. Cherry Wine, C. Lanerie, 20-1
2. Uncle Lino, F. Perez, 20-1
3. Nyquist, M. Guttierez, 3-5
4. Awesome Speed, J. Toledo, 30-1
5. Exaggerator, K. Desormeaux, 3-1
6. Lani, Y. Take, 30-1
7. Collected, J. Castellano, 10-1
8. Laoban, F. Geroux, 30-1
9. Abiding Star, J.D. Acosta, 30-1
10. Fellowship, J. Lezcano, 30-1
11. Stradivari, J. Velazquez, 8-1

tanner12oz
05-18-2016, 06:30 PM
What are the chances nyquist doesn't hit the board?

SecretAgentMan
05-18-2016, 06:43 PM

Slim to none, & slim.just left the building.

Secondbest
05-18-2016, 07:59 PM
Bob Baffert in the Louisville courier- journal " I'd be surprised if Nyquist doesn't win".

SecretAgentMan
05-18-2016, 08:18 PM
Bob Baffert in the Louisville courier- journal " I'd be surprised if Nyquist doesn't win".

Baffert had AP last year & knows exactly what O'Neil has this year.

Secondbest
05-18-2016, 08:34 PM
Baffert had AP last year & knows exactly what O'Neil has this year.
Looks that way.

davew
05-18-2016, 10:45 PM

3-4 % maybe more if track is really bad - it all depends on the break, and Nyquist has not missed it yet.

f2tornado
05-18-2016, 11:09 PM
I would not bet much on it but it happens in races of all types and probably more frequently than people think. Who would have thought Mohaymen would tank the FL Derby? Chrome in the Belmont? Orb in the Preakness? ...among countless others? New track, new conditions, a few new challengers. That said, I will only leave him off a small trifecta rec bet. Much better chance he tanks the Belmont but he probably skips it if he loses this race.

arw629
05-19-2016, 01:19 AM
What would you make the "money line" if it were a match race between Nyquist and Exaggerator? By money line I mean like Nyq-200, Ex +180, for example

I am not a line maker and I'm not 100% sure how to included takeout ect ect but if they match raced Nyquist wpuld have to be in the neighborhood of -500 or -600 I would think

arw629
05-19-2016, 01:21 AM
No way.

He has run the best two races of his life as a deep closer. Plus, he moves way up on the mud- his Santa Anita Derby race is good enough to win the Preakness.
He lost those races and one race on a sloppy track with a runaway leader doesn't prove anything...bottom line is Nyquist has beat him 4 times now and what he's doing isn't working

Stillriledup
05-19-2016, 02:45 AM

Good post 629,I agree that Kent may put Ex into the race, maybe down the road.

Stillriledup
05-19-2016, 02:46 AM
No way.

But his 'deep closing' has Been done by design, he's a handy sprinter type and not a slow plodder, he can be put into the race or on the lead if they want to.

dilanesp
05-19-2016, 07:57 AM
But his 'deep closing' has Been done by design, he's a handy sprinter type and not a slow plodder, he can be put into the race or on the lead if they want to.

Yes, he can be put into the race or on the lead AND LOSE.

Jiminy Christmas, they changed this horse's running style and HE STARTED RUNNING MUCH BETTER. And you guys want to change it back? Why? So he can go back to running Beyers in the 80's?

Of course he's going to come from behind, and he's likely to win Saturday on the off track doing it.

dilanesp
05-19-2016, 08:00 AM
He lost those races and one race on a sloppy track with a runaway leader doesn't prove anything...bottom line is Nyquist has beat him 4 times now and what he's doing isn't working

This is so wrong it's almost camp.

He is 1 for 2 as a deep closer, and the one he lost was a second by a short margin in the most important 3 year old race in America in which he beat 18 horses! That's a GOOD record as a deep closer. He also ran 2 of the biggest Beyers of his life in those races.

And the Santa Anita Derby win proved he loved the slop. He moved way up on it. "Runaway leader"? How come Mor Spirit or any of the other horses didn't beat him? He WON that race. Not only that, he CRUSHED the field. Saying that race "doesn't prove anything", when came back to run a great race in Louisville, is ridiculous.

f2tornado
05-19-2016, 01:31 PM

And the 2004 Yankees beat the Red Sox three in a row before losing the next four. One of those races was as a 2 yo first time starter, another a wide trip in the Juvenile, a 7F sprint where Nyquist should excel if pedigree still means anything, and a closing second after having to check in the Derby.

I think Exaggerator has a strong chance here and will bet accordingly but a Nyquist victory would provide massive tote potential from the Belmont should he falter like Chrome.

CoxHub
05-19-2016, 02:50 PM
Here's the Latest Preakness Podcast (http://www.coxhub.com/articles/can-nyquist-continue-streak-in-preakness) :ThmbUp: picks and conversation from CoxHub.