depalma113
05-07-2016, 07:02 PM
What a boring race.

PaceAdvantage
05-07-2016, 07:06 PM
This warranted it's own thread? :lol:

AlBundy33
05-07-2016, 07:07 PM
So now since the point system has been put in place, the favorite has won every year.

Anyone ready to go back to graded earnings yet? ;)

Rex Phinney
05-07-2016, 07:09 PM
I agree, what a bunch of duds, these tracks are becoming all like runways.

Rex Phinney
05-07-2016, 07:11 PM
So now since the point system has been put in place, the favorite has won every year.

They need to cut the field down to 14. Easily 6 of these horses didn't belong, probably more

EMD4ME
05-07-2016, 07:12 PM

ME

depalma113
05-07-2016, 07:12 PM
This warranted it's own thread? :lol:

The Derby Super was the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th betting choices in order.

Somebody had to say it.

powerrun
05-07-2016, 07:13 PM
ME

Yes the favorite won...but that's the way it goes!

EMD4ME
05-07-2016, 07:14 PM

I bet $35 at CD and $4000 elsewhere today. I could care less.

PaceAdvantage
05-07-2016, 07:15 PM
So what? Favorites are never supposed to do well in the Derby?

You guys are a bunch of wet noodles...

PaceAdvantage
05-07-2016, 07:15 PM
I bet $35 at CD and $4000 elsewhere today. I could care less.Oh shit...wow man...cool bro

AlBundy33
05-07-2016, 07:16 PM
They need to cut the field down to 14. Easily 6 of these horses didn't belong, probably more

True, but you can make that case for almost any Derby though. Never thought I would see a trifecta in the Derby that only paid $86 for a buck in my lifetime.

PaceAdvantage
05-07-2016, 07:16 PM
I'm jaded...but damn, you guys blow me away.

Try and be happy once in a blue moon, and appreciate an undefeated Kentucky Derby winner. Maybe we're about to be spoiled like we were in the late 70s...

But no, let's cry that the favorites ran well...

EMD4ME
05-07-2016, 07:17 PM
The Derby Super was the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th betting choices in order.

Somebody had to say it.

They could line up 50 horses, same results would come in. I detest the new rules. Hence, staying out of it.

depalma113
05-07-2016, 07:18 PM

I have no problem with favorites winning, but it was just a snooze fest.

powerrun
05-07-2016, 07:19 PM

Try and be happy once in a blue moon, and appreciate an undefeated Kentucky Derby winner. Maybe we're about to be spoiled like we were in the late 70s...

Well stated!

EMD4ME
05-07-2016, 07:19 PM

Like last year???

I'm not stupid. We didn't all of a sudden have 2 super monsters get born in the last 2 years. It's a product of less foals and new Derby rules.

Nyquill will sweep. Yawn.

I'l be handicapping Hastings/CBY and Emerald in the interim.

AlBundy33
05-07-2016, 07:20 PM

Not the point and not taking anything away from Nyquist, especially being from the Detroit area. But you have the admit the last two years, the results of the race has sucked from a wagering/monetary standpoint.

PaceAdvantage
05-07-2016, 07:21 PM
I'l be handicapping Hastings/CBY and Emerald in the interim.You do that.

Hopefully this means we won't have to read your Debbie Downer posts in the Preakness and Belmont

ctM3U1SOVQg

EMD4ME
05-07-2016, 07:22 PM
You keep drinking cool aid PA.

Cool aid doesnt fuel pools and keep the game alive. Real players do

AlBundy33
I have no problem with favorites winning, but it was just a snooze fest.

At least the outcome was still in the balance in the stretch last year. This race was over by the 3/16th pole.

Rex Phinney

It's not just that the favorites ran well, it's the way it's happening. The races look like parades, last year the top 3 were there the whole way and this year 2 of the top 3, were in the front basically from the start.

It looks more like a merry go round than a horse race.

EMD4ME
05-07-2016, 07:23 PM
Not the point and not taking anything away from Nyquist, especially being from the Detroit area. But you have the admit the last two years, the results of the race has sucked from a wagering/monetary standpoint.

I'd add: from a quality standpoint.

If Afleet Alex ran this year or last year, doesn't he win by about a DOZEN over these pigs?

PaceAdvantage
05-07-2016, 07:24 PM
You keep drinking cool aid PA.

Cool aid doesnt fuel pools and keep the game alive. Real players doOK Debbie...go start a thriving thread on Hastings

PaceAdvantage
05-07-2016, 07:26 PM
Moderators, change the thread title to Waaaahhhhhhhh :(

Rex Phinney
05-07-2016, 07:26 PM
Also, anyone on the east coast still training racehorses?

That's 4 of the last 5 derby winners coming from JV team out here in SoCal.

SecretAgentMan
05-07-2016, 07:27 PM
I thought Gun Runner ran his heart out, I knew he was ready to run big, but he was outclassed, & there's no doubt in my mind now that Nyquist will win the triple crown & retire undefeated.

Nyquist ran beautifully, & for now, the days of betting longshots & catching $100,000 Tris in the derby are over, at least for one more year.

EMD4ME
05-07-2016, 07:27 PM
OK Debbie...go start a thriving thread on Hastings

That's why I wager where no one cares, to take advantage. :ThmbUp:

I would never start a thread on that. Why give away any advantages.

Anyway, enjoy the chalk, put me to sleep winner. He'll sweep the series and be the 2nd of 8 TC winners in the next 19 years.

Yaaawwnnnn.

woodbinepmi
05-07-2016, 07:29 PM
Always the most entertaining 2 minutes in sports, the 2 minutes after the Derby that people start complaining about the race.

He's no good
He didn't beat anything
The track is a merry go round

It never fails

clocker7
05-07-2016, 07:29 PM
The winner had so many high percentage angles in his favor that it was near-suicidal to wager much against him.

Given that pace, it was one heckuva performance that one should not underrate.

depalma113
05-07-2016, 07:33 PM
Moderators, change the thread title to Waaaahhhhhhhh :(

That's weak.

PaceAdvantage
05-07-2016, 07:33 PM
That's weak.Just following the trend set by the original poster.

Nitro
05-07-2016, 07:34 PM

My sentiments as well. Good post. :ThmbUp:
Hopefully the crying of the blues won't pollute too many threads!

whodoyoulike
05-07-2016, 07:34 PM
Always the most entertaining 2 minutes in sports, the 2 minutes after the Derby that people start complaining about the race.

He's no good
He didn't beat anything

It never fails

And, it sounds like they didn't see the winner could win.

olddaddy
05-07-2016, 07:35 PM
Im lazy so Ill ask, Has the derby fav ever won 4 years straight?

depalma113
Just following the trend set by the original poster.

Not really. I don't hate the horse. I'm hating the game.

rastajenk
Clocker7, that's was my first impression. At the half, I thought, great, my late runner longshot tickets have a chance, but coming into the stretch, it was apparent that few were coming on, and fewer were weakening.

So it wasn't a life-changing score for a few lucky punters, and lacked much racing drama. It's racing; it happens.

mostpost
I had the winner.
I had the exacta.
I have TVG.
I tried for an hour and could not get logged in to make my bets. :mad: :mad:

Redboard
05-07-2016, 07:37 PM
Bleepin chalk! LMAO Instead of tearing our hair out, staying up late watching video, and pouring over pps, sheets and pedigree charts, we could have circled the first four ML favs . :bang:

hahaha I love this game.

PaceAdvantage
05-07-2016, 07:37 PM
Not really. I don't hate the horse. I'm hating the game.Never dreamed you did (hate the horse).

What I can't figure out is how in the world you guys can attribute the outcomes of the last few Derbies to the fact that they changed the rules on getting into the race.

The sample size, by all accounts, is WAY too SMALL to even begin to attribute such a thing, even if you're 100% correct. It just sounds ignorant...to me any way.

depalma113
05-07-2016, 07:39 PM
Never dreamed you did (hate the horse).

What I can't figure out is how in the world you guys can attribute the outcomes of the last few Derbies to the fact that they changed the rules on getting into the race.

The sample size, by all accounts, is WAY too SMALL to even begin to attribute such a thing, even if you're 100% correct. It just sounds ignorant...to me any way.

I didn't say anything like that at all.

PaceAdvantage
05-07-2016, 07:40 PM
Sorry, that's the direction the thread kind of went...

AlBundy33
05-07-2016, 07:41 PM
Im lazy so Ill ask, Has the derby fav ever won 4 years straight?

1972-1975

JoeLong
05-07-2016, 07:42 PM
This kind of outcome is very good for horse racing in general if it draws more of the public back.

woodbinepmi
05-07-2016, 07:44 PM
Never dreamed you did (hate the horse).

It's much better this way, the race is not filled with a bunch of sprinters who their owners want to be seen in the paddock and to just get a box.

jahura2
05-07-2016, 07:45 PM

I had a good day, I'm happy, won a little bit of cash and I love Derby Day!
On to the 13th at Churchill!
Drank some great bourbon today too!

PaceAdvantage
05-07-2016, 07:45 PM
It's much better this way, the race is not filled with a bunch of sprinters who their owners want to be seen in the paddock and to just get a box.I'm not sure I understand why one is necessarily better than the other.

I'm sure EMD4ME could tell me, but I think he just quit the board.

olddaddy
05-07-2016, 07:46 PM
1972-1975

Thanks

clocker7
05-07-2016, 07:47 PM
Clocker7, that's was my first impression. At the half, I thought, great, my late runner longshot tickets have a chance, but coming into the stretch, it was apparent that few were coming on, and fewer were weakening. (snip)

What made Nyquist different was the talent to nearly guarantee a clean trip. It was a proven commodity. The few-moving-parts simplicity of his ability made this one of the easier handicapping jobs of all time; namely, because of the short odds and his likelihood of winning, this was a race to pass or to gamble very stingily agains the fav.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1971753&postcount=20

rastajenk
05-07-2016, 07:48 PM
The field has never been filled with a bunch of sprinters. Occasionally one will survive the winnowing process, but it's always been a myth-peeve of mine. It was never a problem that needed addressed.

acorn54
05-07-2016, 07:51 PM
it my feeling that the backlash with the obvious favorite winning the derby is just an outcry of finding good betting races with very big payoffs. basically what you have today is eight horse fields, at best and any king of vertical exotic isn't going to pay much, so next comes the preponderance of horizontal bets where you have to pick3-4-5 winners and outlay some large coin.
thanks but no thanks. i'm from the old school, bet a little to win alot.

Nitro
05-07-2016, 07:52 PM

He's no good
He didn't beat anything

It never failsIsn't it pathetic!
Just look at all of the pre-Derby threads and hundreds of posts with all that great banter with questions, answers, and anticipation. It's too bad that after such a nice big win by what I think is a pretty good horse, that the sore losers come out of the woodwork. I guess its par-for-the course.

ronsmac
This is the 1st Derby I've bet since the boycott started and have to say I had fun. Hit oaks derby dd. Rachel's Valentina looked like a total toss so I did well there. Ex and tri went down the drain because Whitmore is a total fraud. Lost my side bet on Lani, thought he would be in the latter half of the field but nailed the derby p3 thanks to Jorge Navarro. Watched as his 1st price horse won inexplicably by running a huge race and said he won't fool me twice. All in all a fun and profitable day.

Tom
At least the outcome was still in the balance in the stretch last year. This race was over by the 3/16th pole.

I think the race was over when Mohaymen died in the stretch in Florida. :rolleyes:

AlBundy33
05-07-2016, 07:54 PM
I think the race was over when Mohaymen died in the stretch in Florida. :rolleyes:

Possibly. :D

clocker7
05-07-2016, 07:55 PM
I'm relying on the accuracy of a reporter somewhere, but this makes 8 out of the last 17 won by favorites now?

depalma113
05-07-2016, 07:58 PM
Maybe if it wasn't for that awful NBC coverage, I could deal with the chalkfest.

dballard125
05-07-2016, 07:59 PM

As an online forum owner myself, I would think that you would want to be a bit more diplomatic in your approach w/ your members...especially in a very niche market that only attracts unique guests & spiked member traffic about 3-4 months out of the year. Or maybe I'm just crazy...

PaceAdvantage
05-07-2016, 08:00 PM
I've never operated that way before...why start now?

I've survived 17+ years...if what I'm doing causes the demise of this board, then so be it. I've had a good run.

clocker7
05-07-2016, 08:00 PM
That's part of PA's charm.

ArlJim78
05-07-2016, 08:04 PM
blah indeed. There is nothing wrong with expressing disappointment that the top favorites finished in order making a big score impossible, and at the same time appreciating the outstanding performance of Nyquist.

Remember back when winning the juvenile was considered a curse? lol

alydar
05-07-2016, 08:05 PM
For me the race was a disappointment, I thought it was ripe for a big price. I was dead wrong. That is the way this game goes. There are highs and lows. As far as the Derby itself, I would not change a thing. Look forward to it every year and I do not see that changing.

AlBundy33
05-07-2016, 08:08 PM
Here's another stat.

In 2004, Smarty Jones and Lion Heart was the favored exacta and it paid $65 for $2

This year, the Nyquist/Exaggerator exacta paid $30.

In 2004, the tri paid $493 for a buck with Imperialism (a logical choice)

This year, $86 for a buck.

Again, Nyquist is a deserving winner. But from a wagering standpoint, it sucks.

AlBundy33
05-07-2016, 08:09 PM
For me the race was a disappointment, I thought it was ripe for a big price. I was dead wrong. That is the way this game goes. There are highs and lows. As far as the Derby itself, I would not change a thing. Look forward to it every year and I do not see that changing.

I agree.

jahura2
05-07-2016, 08:13 PM

Not a pro like many on here profess to be, just a huge fan of racing. Cant understand why people can get so upset about a champion winning the derby at 2-1. The day at CD offered plenty of good prices and betting opportunities, some of which I was fortunate enough to benefit from. It's more about a good betting day than it is about one race. Tomorrow and the day after is another betting opportunity no matter where you play. But you wont get the great pools like the entire derby day offers so move on.

senortout
05-07-2016, 08:19 PM
The Derby. Nyquist was downplayed on this forum. Although unbeaten (think very similar to Zenyatta's career) and not beating much (think every horse he'd ever faced) and( think not being able to get the 1 1/4).

I do believe most horseplayers downplay the obvious, time after time. Even successful gamblers.

Which, in my mind at least, made Nyquist a terrific price at 2-1. Don't forget, he was the only one who held off the furious onrush from Exaggerator. The two may be major competitors down the road. (It's very difficult indeed to time the move of a late runner)

Oh, and, cudos to those tote malfunctions! After a modest win bet on Nyquist, I decided to bet 2 horses to show....Mohaymen(4th) Whitmore(far back)......and being, after my win bet on Nyquist, these wagers fell during the time the totes were down...in other words, the losing bets were never deducted from my account, although it appeared at the time they were accepted.

yankeelpn
05-07-2016, 08:30 PM
He had the worst Tomlinson ratings for the distance but still won.

yankeelpn
05-07-2016, 08:38 PM
I won half my money back , Glad I picked Nyquist w/pl/sh because I never pick chalk. The awful payouts might just be the future.

rastajenk
05-07-2016, 09:01 PM
Or they might be just this year.

Tommy Tom
05-07-2016, 09:17 PM
My only gripe is the 20 horse field....

I am always looking for a huge payout by beating the chalk and i like to narrow my selections down to 1 horse and wheel that key horse in tri's in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd spots.....for example 1 with ALL with ALL etc and I do not like to throw any horse out and that is why I like to go ALL ALL...but with 20 horses the wager becomes extremely expensive and speaking only for my myself, makes the risk too much for the possible reward...

The 20 horse field turned me off so much that I gave up on trying to structure a derby bet and and instead concentrated on the Pick 3 as i went ALL/ALL/ 14 in races 10, 11, 12....and it started out good when a bomb hit in race 10...

But the point i am attempting to make is in my opinion the super large field of 20 horses forced my wagering style to not even wager much on the actual Derby but instead I focused on the Pick 3 instead ....I am uploading my PICK 3 wagers to give an example....# 14 - Moheyman was my key horse

Only a few minutes before post time did I place a $20 win bet on Brody's cause and a $1.00 exacta on ALL/19 but I was not able to play any tri's or supers because the way I structure my bets using ALL's etc the 20 horse field was a deal breaker for me...

Just my opinion but I would like to see a limit of 12 horses max for the derby.

Am I the only one whose normal wagering style is muted by a 20 horse field ? or even more than say 12 horses ?

OTM Al
05-07-2016, 09:52 PM
Here's another stat.

In 2004, Smarty Jones and Lion Heart was the favored exacta and it paid $65 for $2

This year, the Nyquist/Exaggerator exacta paid $30.

In 2004, the tri paid $493 for a buck with Imperialism (a logical choice)

This year, $86 for a buck.

Again, Nyquist is a deserving winner. But from a wagering standpoint, it sucks.
Smarty Jones was 4-1 and Lion Heart was just short of 6-1 which sounds about right for the exacta being double. Imperialism was 6th favorite, not third. I don't see the problem.

Didn't win anything today but Derby Schmerby, I got these in the mail today!!

fiznow
05-07-2016, 09:54 PM
It's funny. I always hear peolple complain about horse racing, that it's dying or in a crisis or on the way uphill. But actually horse racing needs starts like Nyquist, Zenyatta or American Pharoah. They bring the fans and keep horse racing popular. Recently I often read about handling records at various tracks and also about new track records. So it can't be that bad. Last year we had the first triple crown winner since 1978 and maybe we have the next one this year. Some people still complain. Ok, the favorites finished 1-2-3 this year and there wasn't much to cash. But as some one who plays the races all year I never had the illusion to get rich with this one race. I see betting on the Derby more as fun. My horse finished 18th. So what, i didn't bet much and didn't lose much. For me many claiming races qualify more to make money than the Kentucky Derby. But it's good for the sport when it produces new superstars. Somehow I get the feeling the ones who complain now would also have complained and called horse racing dead in 1973 when Secretariat won the triple crown. So guys don't be frustrated if you haven't won today and go on cappin tomorrows card at Golden Gate or wherever you play to get back into business. ;)

MutuelClerk
05-07-2016, 09:55 PM
I originally loved the idea of the point system. However rarely betting favorites I now HATE the point system. Looking forward to next years TRI being close to minus pool. Maybe we can add a dime super and it will pay .99cents. Yippee.

ribjig
05-07-2016, 10:29 PM
> now since the point system has been put in place, the favorite has won every year. :eek:

EARTHLINGS OF FIRST SATURDAY MAY 2916:
(those on Moon & Mars, too)

You have data for 1042 runnings of KY Derby that
indisputably proves ~33% of KY Derby favorites win
as favorites universally do LONG-TERM. Via wormhole,
post 2016 message in this thread reporting this REALITY
that some 2016 :confused: hominid :confused: minds :confused: can't grasp.

KLAATU BARADA NIKTO

elhelmete
05-07-2016, 10:34 PM

Who was sidelined that should have been in...and would have made a difference?

Valuist
05-07-2016, 10:35 PM
1972-1975

Not only 4 years straight but between 1972-1979, six favorites and two second betting choices won. Affirmed was actually second betting choice at 9-5.

Lemon Drop Husker
05-07-2016, 10:58 PM
We can talk about a "bad crop" and no horses able to challenge Nyquist all we want.

Reality is, the 13th fastest Kentucky Derby was ran today (at least according to my quick research), and the fastest since Funny Cide stopped the clock at 2:01.19 in 2003. Yes, even faster than Big Brown, and faster than Barbaro.

I tried to beat Nyquist today with SBN, Exaggerator, and Mohaymen. While they ran well, they simply weren't good enough to beat Nyquist today.

I tip my cap to a pretty damn good horse that ran a really good race today. 2/1 favorites, $30 Exactas, and $90 Trifectas aren't what most of us are looking for come the Kentucky Derby, but these horses have been favorites for a reason.

NorCalGreg
05-07-2016, 11:06 PM
Not a pro like many on here profess to be, just a huge fan of racing. Cant understand why people can get so upset about a champion winning the derby at 2-1. The day at CD offered plenty of good prices and betting opportunities, some of which I was fortunate enough to benefit from. It's more about a good betting day than it is about one race. Tomorrow and the day after is another betting opportunity no matter where you play. But you wont get the great pools like the entire derby day offers so move on.

You sound a lot more like a pro than the "alleged" pros do :ThmbUp:

Bennie
05-08-2016, 12:40 AM
Hat's off to Nyquist. He was the best horse today. I tried to beat him today and came up short with Exaggerator, Gun Runner and Sudden Breaking News but I am not upset with the results. There are many happy people who played Nyquist, probably all the Detroit Redwing players to name a few and some not so happy because he beat us today. I can see him running strong and very well could win the Preakness but come Belmont time I will try to beat him again should any of my fore mentioned horses enter.
I think there are also many "new" racing fans who have only been playing for a couple of years and must think picking the Derby is easy and can't wait till the next one. Then there are all those handicapping "services" who can't wait until next year so they can fill you mail box with their flyers claiming they picked the winner of the Derby 4 years in a row and hit the Derby exacta, trifecta and super "cold" in 2016.
I got through the day with just a small cut , not much blood loss. I will put on a band aid be healed come Preakness.
Fast tracks and clear skies to all.

iceknight
05-08-2016, 01:24 AM
As an online forum owner myself, I would think that you would want to be a bit more diplomatic in your approach w/ your members...especially in a very niche market that only attracts unique guests & spiked member traffic about 3-4 months out of the year. Or maybe I'm just crazy...?? what? I am glad PA is standing by some principles than selling out to braggarts who boast...

VigorsTheGrey
05-08-2016, 01:42 AM
Hat's off to Nyquist. He was the best horse today. I tried to beat him today and came up short with Exaggerator, Gun Runner and Sudden Breaking News but I am not upset with the results. There are many happy people who played Nyquist, probably all the Detroit Redwing players to name a few and some not so happy because he beat us today. I can see him running strong and very well could win the Preakness but come Belmont time I will try to beat him again should any of my fore mentioned horses enter.
I think there are also many "new" racing fans who have only been playing for a couple of years and must think picking the Derby is easy and can't wait till the next one. Then there are all those handicapping "services" who can't wait until next year so they can fill you mail box with their flyers claiming they picked the winner of the Derby 4 years in a row and hit the Derby exacta, trifecta and super "cold" in 2016.
I got through the day with just a small cut , not much blood loss. I will put on a band aid be healed come Preakness.
Fast tracks and clear skies to all.

Agreed, and on the one hand, the racing wisdom is to bet against the crowd and when it comes in 1,2,3,4, cold, and on the other, remind me again why I didn't have Gun Runner in the 3rd hole?

1GCFAN
05-08-2016, 03:46 AM
The way the track was playing it was obvious the deep closers were toast. Also, Champ trainer TAP had no excuse. Back to the drawing board!

Aerocraft67
05-08-2016, 07:44 AM
The chalk superfecta was a 541/1 proposition, but I didn't see anyone here reporting that on the wagers thread. I like to think I'm tickled by the notion of a casual fan plunking down one dollar on that, staggering around the beer tent in a funny hat $500 to the good. Surely lots of sharpies had the favorites too, nothing wrong with any of that.

Part of the allure of the Derby is the chance to make a big score with clever picks and exotics with non-obvious, improving young horses, with plenty of other betting interest to fill the pools. Another benefit is the prospect of an exciting race between these emerging talents. In that context, I think it's fair to be disappointed with the results this year, even as we acknowledge the talent of the winner and others that ran well, and congratulate the ironically bold punters that played the favorites in order.

pandy
05-08-2016, 08:44 AM
He had the worst Tomlinson ratings for the distance but still won.

Pedigree in the Derby stopped being a legitimate factor a long time ago.

PowerUpPaynter
05-08-2016, 08:56 AM

truest statement iv read so far

PowerUpPaynter
05-08-2016, 08:59 AM
Like last year???

I'm not stupid. We didn't all of a sudden have 2 super monsters get born in the last 2 years. It's a product of less foals and new Derby rules.

Nyquill will sweep. Yawn.

I'l be handicapping Hastings/CBY and Emerald in the interim.

c'mon bloke. appreciate great horses. not saying Nyquist is great but if he wins the Triple Crown he is. I do think he will lose in the Belmont however.

PowerUpPaynter
05-08-2016, 09:03 AM
I'd add: from a quality standpoint.

If Afleet Alex ran this year or last year, doesn't he win by about a DOZEN over these pigs?

I understand not appreciating Nyquist at this point. ( we can revisit that in 5 weeks) but bashing American Pharoah? Dude are you out of your mind? Pharoah is a great race horse didnt he run like one of the fastest Belmonts ever and a 120 beyer in the breeders cup classic? Afleet Alex would lose by many lengths to Pharoah and the jury is still out on Nyquist.b