PDA

View Full Version : Florent Geroux

burnsy
05-07-2016, 11:20 AM
Riding like a madman. Good sign for later. The world is seeing how good this guy is!

FrankieFigs
05-07-2016, 11:23 AM
Riding like a madman. Good sign for later. The world is seeing how good this guy is!

Had a breakout meet at Kentucky Downs last year. He is a solid rider who has a ton of upside. I like him, too.

I'm banking on him to handle his maiden voyage in the Derby quite well. Hope he proves me right....

mannyberrios
05-07-2016, 12:03 PM
This guy has a bright future

NorCalGreg
05-07-2016, 12:30 PM
This guy has a bright future

He's an old-fashioned working man........took mounts on 13 races

Guess he wanted to sleep in-- took the 1st race off.

Valuist
05-07-2016, 01:13 PM
This guy has been an excellent rider for several years. Great ROI in the Breeders Cups with 20-1 wins on Work all Week and Mongolian Saturday. But nobody pays attention to Arlington these days so he was under the radar.

FrankieFigs
05-07-2016, 01:26 PM
25% winners and $3.3 million in earnings at the Fairgrounds this winter.... :eek:

olddaddy
05-07-2016, 01:41 PM
If his summer base is going to be AP again, Im really baffled.

FrankieFigs
05-07-2016, 08:51 PM
Had a breakout meet at Kentucky Downs last year. He is a solid rider who has a ton of upside. I like him, too.

I'm banking on him to handle his maiden voyage in the Derby quite well. Hope he proves me right....

I wasn't disappointed. I thought he rode a solid race. Gun Runner broke well and wanted to go; he didn't put a stranglehold on him and let him run his race.

horses4courses
05-07-2016, 08:53 PM
I wasn't disappointed. I thought he rode a solid race. Gun Runner broke well and wanted to go; he didn't put a stranglehold on him and let him run his race.

Agreed.
The horse ran his race.
FG rode him just fine - the winner was better.

Striker
05-07-2016, 10:32 PM
If his summer base is going to be AP again, Im really baffled.
Churchill then Saratoga this summer. Might be at Arlington for the few bigger days of stakes racing they have.

v j stauffer
05-07-2016, 10:58 PM
If I either owned or bet on the horse he rode in the 14th race I would be furious.

That horse was ridden like by rider who seemed to be saying to himself. I've had a huge weekend. Let me get today over with, get out of dodge, and most importantly DON'T GET HURT.

He moved about a half hour too early. He was drawn on the rail but somehow found himself in the cozy 17 path. Passed the entire field but of course flattened out and was pushed through the lane by a jock riding his 13th race of the day.

Horses get beat everyday for a myriad of reasons. But when a horse runs that huge and loses to two inferior horses because the ride was phoned in by a guy who didn't give a shit that's not OK.

Stuff like that will make a trainer or owner madder than almost anything. They will say if you don't want to ride my horse fine. I'll get somebody that does.

Who's to say that race and that horse wasn't somebody's most important of the weekend?

If you're too tired or not motivated no one will knock you for taking off. In fact nobody will remember or care.

That's 100 times better than the crap we got.

Tragic!!! :mad:

Tall One
05-07-2016, 11:35 PM
If I either owned or bet on the horse he rode in the 14th race I would be furious.

That horse was ridden like by rider who seemed to be saying to himself. I've had a huge weekend. Let me get today over with, get out of dodge, and most importantly DON'T GET HURT.

He moved about a half hour too early. He was drawn on the rail but somehow found himself in the cozy 17 path. Passed the entire field but of course flattened out and was pushed through the lane by a jock riding his 13th race of the day.

Horses get beat everyday for a myriad of reasons. But when a horse runs that huge and loses to two inferior horses because the ride was phoned in by a guy who didn't give a shit that's not OK.

Stuff like that will make a trainer or owner madder than almost anything. They will say if you don't want to ride my horse fine. I'll get somebody that does.

Who's to say that race and that horse wasn't somebody's most important of the weekend?

If you're too tired or not motivated no one will knock you for taking off. In fact nobody will remember or care.

$10 to win $5 to place... :rolleyes:

Same connections (Ramsey/Maker/Geroux) took the 5th on Friday, and I thought I found a bargain at 8-1 on this one. Gates open, looked like the 1 stopped, and walked into the re-start. He did make a nice WIDE threatening move on the turn, but yeah, Geroux had much the best horse in the get out.

SG4
05-08-2016, 05:18 PM

Strongly disagree with this critique - if this horse stays on the rail all the way through the turn, tell me exactly where during the race you see him getting out & unleashing a winning run? There were 8 bunched up horses in front of him through a moderate pace, and it was a split second decision to make that wide move & I hardly think it was a rider phoning it in & instead trying to make an aggressive winning move. Nobody's gonna see a rider swing 6 wide & say what a brilliant ride, but I hardly think it was a bad try.

This horse in question, Hint of Roses, is starting to make a consistent habit of making good riders look bad. Several times now he's been that horse where if only he got a good ride he would've been the winner. He's been hyped up off his work in the morning & he's a pretty decent horse, but thinking he might be one of those to avoid on the win end until he shows a little more killer instinct.

Valuist
05-08-2016, 06:07 PM
The outer paths may have been better anyways at CD on Saturday, at least in the stretch.

Tall One
05-08-2016, 08:03 PM
The outer paths may have been better anyways at CD on Saturday, at least in the stretch.

Chart said 9 wide on the turn, and stayed in that path down the lane. Despite that, was a head+ in front, but couldn't hold off the inside runners.

v j stauffer
05-09-2016, 04:09 AM
Strongly disagree with this critique - if this horse stays on the rail all the way through the turn, tell me exactly where during the race you see him getting out & unleashing a winning run? There were 8 bunched up horses in front of him through a moderate pace, and it was a split second decision to make that wide move & I hardly think it was a rider phoning it in & instead trying to make an aggressive winning move. Nobody's gonna see a rider swing 6 wide & say what a brilliant ride, but I hardly think it was a bad try.

This horse in question, Hint of Roses, is starting to make a consistent habit of making good riders look bad. Several times now he's been that horse where if only he got a good ride he would've been the winner. He's been hyped up off his work in the morning & he's a pretty decent horse, but thinking he might be one of those to avoid on the win end until he shows a little more killer instinct.

Two diametrically opposed opinions of the same race. That's what makes our sport the greatest game in the world.

v j stauffer
05-09-2016, 04:17 AM
Chart said 9 wide on the turn, and stayed in that path down the lane. Despite that, was a head+ in front, but couldn't hold off the inside runners.Nothing to hold off. He ran right passed the inside two at the quarter. Only have those two re-rally passed Geroux's desperately tired 3 year old.

Tall One
05-09-2016, 08:07 AM
Nothing to hold off. He ran right passed the inside two at the quarter. Only have those two re-rally passed Geroux's desperately tired 3 year old.

Oh yeah...he had it, and he also had a spent horse.

Valuist
05-09-2016, 12:16 PM
Chart said 9 wide on the turn, and stayed in that path down the lane. Despite that, was a head+ in front, but couldn't hold off the inside runners.

The chart also said the winner, Race Me Home, was in the 8 path at the quarter pole. According to the Trakus chart, the winner ran 31 feet more than the runnerup. Unfortunately, Trakus had no number for Hint of Roses. The chart also had the runnerup 5 wide turning for home.

I don't disagree that Geroux didn't lose too much ground, but I don't think it hurt nearly as much as it would've on a day the inside was good. And for the first and third runners to lose that much ground and still run 1st and 3rd, its more evidence that the inside paths probably were not the ideal place to be on Saturday.

Tall One
05-09-2016, 01:21 PM
^Indeed.

Also agree with SG4's opinion on this horse. Been following him for awhile now, but I guess with my own blinders on, I saw a possible opportunity to get back some/most of what I plunked down on the derby tri.

Shouldn't leave out Casse's horse in the 13th who broke a few steps slow, but rallied nicely, which left me :mad:, and ultimately :bang: :bang: after the 14th. :)

v j stauffer
05-09-2016, 01:56 PM
Oh yeah...he had it, and he also had a spent horse.

Of course he was spent. He moved much too early and was in the 384 path.

Tall One
05-09-2016, 03:26 PM
384th..:D

Guy out here at Keeneland would always ask everyone in ear shot "Why does that sob ALWAYS go 90 wide on the turn..."

burnsy
05-10-2016, 07:04 AM
Two diametrically opposed opinions of the same race. That's what makes our sport the greatest game in the world.

I knew when I started this thread it would just be a minute before someone bitched about it. That's just how it is here. I do it too sometimes. I stopped betting after the Derby but these numbers are NOT my opinion. Between Friday (Oaks Day) and Saturday (Derby Day) the guy won 5 races, 4 on Oaks day alone, he placed twice and showed 4 times, including the Derby. He brought in a 15 dollar horse and a 39 dollar horse.

Yeah he sucks, it was a horrid weekend............ :rolleyes:

Tall One
05-10-2016, 09:00 AM
I knew when I started this thread it would just be a minute before someone bitched about it. That's just how it is here. I do it too sometimes. I stopped betting after the Derby but these numbers are NOT my opinion. Between Friday (Oaks Day) and Saturday (Derby Day) the guy won 5 races, 4 on Oaks day alone, he placed twice and showed 4 times, including the Derby. He brought in a 15 dollar horse and a 39 dollar horse.

Eh, I was more upset at my decision to even bet that Derby, than anything else..including how the 14th played out. Geroux is pretty much the go to for Ramsey/Maker, and i doubt they hold this one against him.

-I did have their winner in the 5th on Friday, which keyed a respectable $46 ex..That's a nice colt, who beat a pretty solid group. Couple out of there should be added to the stable.

v j stauffer
05-10-2016, 11:05 AM

Since you started this thread. Perhaps you should read the posts. I never said he sucks.

Quite the opposite. I completely agree he had a fantastic weekend. I completely agree his star is on the rise Nationally.

I simply hated his ride in the 14th race on Saturday.

Valuist
05-10-2016, 12:10 PM
It's also possible the trainer told Geroux that whatever you do, don't get stopped; get clear running. It seems like trainers believe that only two things get a horse beat: speed duels and getting caught in traffic. You rarely hear a trainer complain about a wide trip (even when they should).

v j stauffer
05-11-2016, 02:05 AM
It's also possible the trainer told Geroux that whatever you do, don't get stopped; get clear running. It seems like trainers believe that only two things get a horse beat: speed duels and getting caught in traffic. You rarely hear a trainer complain about a wide trip (even when they should).

First, let's be clear. Trainers complain about everything.

There are some that are in the " don't get him stopped" camp. Fewer everyday. They're idiots.

Most trainers fully well know if their jock gives up valuable ground it can change a winner into an also ran.

Believe me. I've heard a hundred trainers complain about losing ground. When I had Rosario it was by far what they complained about most.

sammy the sage
05-11-2016, 06:50 AM
and sometimes...the Jock DID EXACTLY as he was told...sometimes ;)

PaceAdvantage
05-11-2016, 12:23 PM
Of course he was spent. He moved much too early and was in the 384 path.Now hold on here a second pardner...are you publicly criticizing a jockey for his ride?

Whoa!

But when Serling does it, both you and Caton came down on him like a ton of bricks (see Leparoux)...

Funny stuff. :lol:

no breathalyzer
05-11-2016, 02:34 PM
incoming... 2 pages of bipolar slightly off topic Rhetoric

v j stauffer
05-12-2016, 01:14 AM
Now hold on here a second pardner...are you publicly criticizing a jockey for his ride?

Whoa!

But when Serling does it, both you and Caton came down on him like a ton of bricks (see Leparoux)...

Funny stuff. :lol:

Your man crush for Serling knows no bounds.

PaceAdvantage
05-12-2016, 08:12 AM
Your man crush for Serling knows no bounds.Neither does your apparent hypocrisy.

Fager Fan
05-12-2016, 08:19 AM
I've found that the loudest complainers about rides come from people who couldn't stay on a pony even if we tied them on. Yet they're the expert on riding a horse using a postage stamp to stay on, going 45mph, and having to make split second decisions.

PaceAdvantage
05-12-2016, 10:03 AM
I've found that the loudest complainers about rides come from people who couldn't stay on a pony even if we tied them on. Yet they're the expert on riding a horse using a postage stamp to stay on, going 45mph, and having to make split second decisions.Well, there is definitely some valid criticism from time to time...especially when certain things appear repeated over and over again...

But I agree somewhat...those that expect not only the jockeys, but the horses to act like robots and run exactly as we think they should are living the delusional horse racing life.

v j stauffer
05-12-2016, 01:07 PM
Neither does your apparent hypocrisy.

I'm not taking your bait. If I choose to fish it won't be for a Minnow.

Fager Fan
05-12-2016, 01:47 PM
I'm not taking your bait. If I choose to fish it won't be for a Minnow.

Clearly you've been eating more whales then minnows.

SG4
05-27-2016, 11:08 PM
Well if anyone is looking to play Hint of Roses back off his last trip, he shows up on Monday at Churchill, Geroux still in the irons. He's got 10 furlongs & a small field to negotiate, so would like to think we'll finally see a trouble free trip & see if the horse can actually strut his stuff. Quick glance at the field, thinking he'll be odds-on this time around.

sammy the sage
05-28-2016, 06:41 AM
Expecting the Jock of whom the O.P. started this thread about to have a very good day today 5/28...riding for Maker & Baffert...

now ya'll can go back to fishing & eating...minnows & whales :lol: :D

Mulerider
05-28-2016, 09:00 PM
Expecting the Jock of whom the O.P. started this thread about to have a very good day today 5/28...riding for Maker & Baffert...

now ya'll can go back to fishing & eating...minnows & whales :lol: :D

It wouldn't take too many like Race 5 to ruin his day. He was on a first-time starter that banged into the rail in the stretch, throwing Geroux in the air; he came down on the rail.

Mule

Valuist
05-29-2016, 06:17 PM
Hint of Roses is entered in a 7 horse Maiden race at Churchill tomorrow at 1 1/4 miles. It's a race with a complete lack of early speed.

summersquall
05-30-2016, 03:29 PM
pays 3.80 to win stalking the pace.

Valuist
06-08-2016, 11:43 PM
Race Me Home, the horse who beat Hint of Roses in the Derby day Mdn race, makes his stakes debut in the opener on Belmont day.

Valuist
06-11-2016, 11:39 AM
Race Me Home, the horse who beat Hint of Roses in the Derby day Mdn race, makes his stakes debut in the opener on Belmont day.

Based on his close 2nd in the Easy Goer, I think Race Me Home WAS the best horse in that CD Mdn race on Derby day.

Tom
06-11-2016, 12:05 PM
This year's crop is hard pressed to beat maidens. Very impressive bunch. *barf*