PDA

View Full Version : You're not even safe at church anymore

Secretariat
07-02-2004, 11:35 AM
http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story.jsp?floc=FF-RTO-PLS&idq=/ff/story/0002/20040701/2004645728.htm&photoid=20040701WAS07D_WAS7

JustRalph
07-02-2004, 06:56 PM
Why is that the Democrats can work the Churches and when Bush wants a list........you guys have a fit?

How many times did we see Clinton and Gore speaking in Black Churches (and lying about them being burned down) and using the Churches to raise money........ couple of hundred...times during the Clinton years? maybe?

Duplicitous Bastards! That is what you are..........

ljb
07-02-2004, 08:14 PM
It is not too late. I would urge all Republicans to join the underground movement. RRCTTP. Republicans Restoring Control To The People. The fanatics have taken control of this once respectable political party, join the RRCTTP and join the draft McCain movement prior to the convention. As this group has to be wary of infiltration by fanatics, membership is by invitation only.

Secretariat
07-02-2004, 09:08 PM
JR,

You're yanking my chain right? When did Clinton or any politcian do what Bush has just advocated. When the head of the Southern Baptist is "appalled" you know there's problems.

Secretariat
07-02-2004, 11:03 PM
Here's more detail:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040703/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush_campaign_churches&cid=544&ncid=2043

Steve 'StatMan'
07-02-2004, 11:39 PM
In Chicago, the Rev. Jesse Jackson and his Congressman son speak at the Operation Push, which, I could be wrong, may be church based. I know they speak at churches, we frequently see clips. Plenty of political activity in the urban churches in Chicago. Plenty of Alderman and candidates for Alderman, congressional seats, etc. have film shown of them on TV from time to time addressing church congregations here. Typically all in the urban areas.

I don't really want to defend political activity at the churches. But, this is a request of parishoners and willing congregations. It isn't a mandatory requirement being forced from above by a government body. In business, this would be called Cooperative Marketing with an Affinity Group. Trying to find groups of people of a common interest that your company (or in this case, candidate) would appeal to.

The only differnce I can see here is this request is coming from a group representing the current Pres. of the U.S.

I'm sure Labor Unions and/or Union members are asked for contact information, as well as NRA and Gun/Rifle entusiasts, etc. This isn't much different, except it involves religion. And as I've mentioned above, that barrier has been shattered before, although the only groups I can recall involve Democratic Candidates in Urban districts.

I've never been contacted by politicans based on my church related activities. But at least once I received a business contact where my name came from a fellow parisohner and trusted friend. Turns out, that person wanted me to join one of those multi-level marketing plans. Yuck. I figured it out in the interview. If Person A can make big money if he gets Me and 10 others to join the insurance company for sales, and they and I can make even more money by me getting 10 of my contacts to also sell the insurance, then who the hell is going to eventually buy insurance from all of these agents? Hah!

Secretariat
07-02-2004, 11:49 PM
It's against the law for tax exempt organizations to do this. In fact the IRS has sent letters out informing them.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=123922,00.html

Under the law, organizations described in section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code that are exempt from federal income tax are prohibited from directly or indirectly participating or intervening in any political campaign on behalf of, or in opposition to, any candidate for public office. Charities, educational institutions and religious organizations, including churches, are among those that are tax-exempt under this code section.

If the IRS finds a section 501(c)(3) organization engaged in prohibited campaign activity, the organization could lose its tax-exempt status and be subject to an excise tax on the amount of money spent in that activity.

Steve 'StatMan'
07-02-2004, 11:55 PM
Yup. Try telling that to JJ, JJJR, and all those urban Chicagoans. You really want to hear people complain on TV? Whoowee!

Secretariat
07-03-2004, 07:39 AM
Frankly, I don't care if it is Bush-Cheyney or Jesse Jackson. Those churches should lose their tax exempt status per the tax code rule and according to the Internal Revenue Law

I think what is so egregious with the Bush-Cheyney is the direct assault on parishioners. The church is not being offered up for use for those willing after services, but Cheyney-Bush is soliciting action during services. Can you imagine if Kerrey did that directly to the Cathloic church? People would be outraged and rightly so , just as the Southern Baptist ministers were with Bush-Cheyney's solicitation and churches fear of their direct violation and threat to their tax exempt status. Bush-Cheyney has tried to make a union between religion and politics with this action and it simply is in violation of the law. Trying to justify a violation of the law by saying that Jesse Jackson is doing it, in no way makes the action right. Try speeding down the highway because another guy is doing it and tell the cop" Well he was doing it so I was too." See how far that gets you.

This adminstration loves to quote "It's the law" when it suits their agenda, but disregards laws that have been on the books for years.

Tom
07-03-2004, 09:53 AM
No reputable organiztion would ever turn over a membership to anyone for any reason, although I am sure 90% do it if they can get a buck or two, but I think are very few reputable organizations left theses days.
To ask for this list is crass at best and totally unacceptable.
The hair on the back of my neck stands up whenever any branch og governement innocently asks for alist of anyhting.
Bad move, W. Very bad. If the conservative Christions want ot support you, don't you think they they would have found you by now?
But then again, both parties lead the list of un-reputable organiztions - DNC and RN. Both smelll worse that yesterday's raod kill.

"I am a lemming and I authorized this post!"

Buckeye
07-03-2004, 09:55 AM
What are you saying Tom, it's time for a revolution?

Tom
07-03-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Buckeye
What are you saying Tom, it's time for a revolution?

Neither party represents us..it is time for political revolution. I advocate always voting against incumbents to prevent them from becoming entrenched. If the same candidte is running on both republican and conservative tickets, vote the conservative line so that the other party gets the prize. We, as citizens have to destroy the current political party system.
Too many think it is dems vs repubs. It is the "republicates" vs US!
I want my country back.

Buckeye
07-03-2004, 10:08 AM
So you're voting for Kerry?

Tom
07-03-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Buckeye
So you're voting for Kerry?

No way. Kerry is not the only other choice.
I would vote for Jim "Carey" before I voted for the "least of the Northeast.

ljb
07-03-2004, 10:14 AM
Interesting thoughts Tom,
C-span had a topic this morining regarding Independant voters. Some of the callers expressed similiar sentiments. I just don't know how we can make something like this happen under the current conditions. I think the last independant contestant to show any signs of political strength, (based on election results) was Ross Perot. The independants tend to be flash in the pan, witness Jesse Ventura. We need a complete overhaul of election finance laws to have any chance of this happening. Both Bush and Kerry opted out of this years matching funds program. They are both in somebodys pocket. So we end up voting for what we consider "the lesser of two evils". Or just throw away our vote on some 3rd party canidate or just stay home. Depressing ain't it.