PDA

View Full Version : BLINKERS OFF & Equiform

GameTheory
01-28-2002, 08:42 PM
Does anyone have an opinion about the form cycle book BLINKERS OFF, or about the Equiform product? (Both found at: http://www.equiform.com)

Tom
01-28-2002, 09:25 PM
I ordered the book-I will let you know after I get it.
I checked out the site - the reports look a bit long (50+ pages)
but the ideas sound interesting. Costs more that the sheets,
but if it works.....
At least the ideas in the book might be useable with other pace numbers.
Tom

Tom
02-04-2002, 08:00 PM
The book came today, only a few days after I ordered it. It looks promising, nice, real book and the content looks interesting. Only had time to skim through it tonight, but I am on a plane the next two days so I'll give it a good read.
I also order the alleged second book by Steve Collison from ITS and it came today, too. Nice "boo" - two pages of rules!!!
How do you spell R-i-p-O-f-f???? $30 bucks for two pages???
Steve might be making a living off the horses, but he appears to be getting rich off the horse-players!

Tom

GameTheory
02-04-2002, 08:32 PM
Yeah,

I'd like to hear about BLINKERS OFF. I find form cycle analysis very interesting, but most discussions of it use very flawed logic in my opinion. It would be nice to find a good treatment...

JimG
02-04-2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Tom

I also order the alleged second book by Steve Collison from ITS and it came today, too. Nice "boo" - two pages of rules!!!
How do you spell R-i-p-O-f-f???? $30 bucks for two pages???
Steve might be making a living off the horses, but he appears to be getting rich off the horse-players!

Tom

Don't know the book your referring to, but the Collison book "Inside the Claiming Game is an excellent book and is worth several times the asking price, in my opinion.

Jim

smf
02-05-2002, 01:24 AM
tom,

I've never read the 2nd book by Collison for the very reason you gave. I've heard nothing but negative things about it.

If someone read Inside the Claiming Game (his first book), I don't think they'll need any other "reading material" about claims or money management.

JMHO.

Dick Schmidt
02-05-2002, 03:50 AM
Tom,

Let's not be too quick to judge a book by its length.

Do the rules work?

Dick

Tom
02-06-2002, 06:10 PM
I think the real book - Inside the Claimng Game is really good.
I was referring to the alleged book (2 pages). The rules may or may not work, but the fact that it is rules and not a book is why I say rip off. Bascially, it has a time limit, you look for horses claimed during that time limit, then bet them if they have certain changes made by the new trainer.
The only change I am certain of is I have bought my last product from ITS. I expected more from them than a 2 page system.
Any copy of ATM have more text in any article that this crap did.
And nothing new was presented here either. My fault for buying something unseen. Live and learn. And, oh, baby, I learned on this one.

(Dick, to be fair, it was a thin book. How thin was it?
It was so thin they sent me two copies! Stuck together)
~G~

Tom

GameTheory
02-06-2002, 06:57 PM
Maybe that's actually an extra appendix to the book that didn't make it to press, and they forgot to send you the actual book. I would rant and rave and get my money back if they sent me two sheets of paper for something advertised as a book.

I actually just received HANDICAPPING MAGIC, which they publish (got it from Amazon, though). It is a big thick book, but it looks like they didn't use enough glue for the cover (it is not really attached on the spine). It came with a note from Amazon that said, in effect, "Sorry, but this is the best copy we have -- if you're not satisfied we'll be happy to take it back."

Dick Schmidt
02-06-2002, 08:14 PM
Tom,

You mean it literally was just TWO PAGES?!?!?! I thought you were exagerating a bit, saying the "book" was summed up in two pages. I agree, that's not a book, that's a system at best. ITS seems to sell a lot of shoddy stuff.

Dick

Tom
02-06-2002, 08:16 PM
I have read about 2/3 of the book on airplanes this week. It is really very interesting. It is based primarily on htier version of the sheets, but I think the concepts are probably usable with other good pace numbers (if you can find them). There are some neat patterns of improvment based not only on final figs but on pace figs as well. I will try them out with BRIS pace and speed numbers and it will probably be a bit easier if you use HTR's Pratt module - it simulates the sheets form cycle layout and has pace numbers as well. If nothing else, it has given me some new things to look for in form cycle analysis. the ideas would probably work withi Quirin stle pace/speed or even Total pace numbers, but you need to have them for every paceline. Ideally, you need a lot of pace lines to see the patterns, but only the various sheets offer this, to my knowledge. I know that I will definatley buy a few cards of Equiform for some good cards coming up - maybe derby day, or one of the various one day festivals some tracks have, and definatley for the next Breeder's cup - I always treat myself to a sheets download for the BC.
All in all, an enjoyable read, even sitting in a comuter plane with my feet stuffed into my back pockets and my head in the overhead compartment!

:p :p ;) Tom

paceace
02-12-2002, 02:51 PM
HAVE COPY OF BLINKERS OFF ITS PRIMARILY A WAY TO INTERPERT HIS PACE NUMBERS BUT IT HAS SOME FORM CYCLE ANALYSIS, WILLING TO TRADE FOR SOFTWARE PROGRAM.
PACEACE

highnote
02-18-2002, 05:57 PM
Cary Fotias, the author of "Blinkers Off" and Dr. Z, the author of the Forward to "Blinkers Off" recently consulted to a pick 6 syndicate that won over $200,000 on a pick 6 at Santa Anita. Cary used his Equiform numbers to determine which horses to include in the pick 6 and Dr. Z provided the math to determine the optimal bets. The syndicate had 3 winning pick 6 tickets valued at around $60,000 each and something like 150 tickets with 5 correct numbers.

The fact that they had 3 winning tickets tells us that Cary had confidence in his assessment of the expected performance his top choices. That's why they bought multiple tickets on those combinations.

In my opinion the Equiform numbers are very good -- especially in the hands of an expert handicapper. I'm biased because I'm a friend of both of them and I sell Cary's book on my website.
However, the fact is, this is not the first pick 6 Cary has been involved with. One of his first pick 6 scores is what enabled him to develop his product. He talks about his first score a little in his book.

I recommend the book. It is very well written and it adds to the body of handicapping literature. The book is geared toward the advanced handicapper. The product the book talks about is aimed at high-rollers, trainers, jockey's agents and owners.

I recommend you buy all the handicapping books you can. The more you know, the luckier you will probably get.

John
http://www.hypernormal.com

Bob Harris
02-18-2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by GameTheory
Maybe that's actually an extra appendix to the book that didn't make it to press, and they forgot to send you the actual book. I would rant and rave and get my money back if they sent me two sheets of paper for something advertised as a book.

I actually just received HANDICAPPING MAGIC, which they publish (got it from Amazon, though). It is a big thick book, but it looks like they didn't use enough glue for the cover (it is not really attached on the spine). It came with a note from Amazon that said, in effect, "Sorry, but this is the best copy we have -- if you're not satisfied we'll be happy to take it back."

GameTheory,

The first batch of "Handicapping Magic" came back from the publisher with the conventional spine everyone is use to but Michael didn't care for it. The second batch was ordered with a "detatched" spine which allows the book to lay flat on a table easier (you should see creases from the publisher near the spine on both the front and rear covers). My copy has held up very well and the copies I've given to friends are still intact to the best of my knowledge.

If your copy falls apart for some strange reason, let me know and I'll make arrangements to get you another copy.

Bob

GameTheory
02-18-2002, 10:08 PM
It is holding up well, actually.

My copy also had a bit of dent in the corner like someone dropped it -- maybe that was what the note was supposed to refer to...

TonyK@HSH
02-18-2002, 11:42 PM
I have never used the Equiform numbers but have a close friend that plays N.Y. regularily that can't say enough about them. He feels that the pace figs are by far the best he's used and he's tried many sources. His living IS made at the track and I play with him on a regular basis. He is a winner supporting a family of 5 through the windows!!

Hope this helps

Tony

GR1@HTR
05-06-2002, 08:46 AM
Any other thoughts on Blinkers Off?

David McKenzie
05-06-2002, 11:50 AM
// Any other thoughts on Blinkers Off? //

The chapter on Turf Racing alone is worth the price of the book. I especially like his *turf decline line angle* -- a subset of what he calls a *turf pace low* -- which is an interesting, albeit unorthodox approach that draws attention to horses that are noticeably improving their finishing ability. You'd miss this improvement if you were only using the sheets. So, that's an edge, at least for a while.

I should mention that I've met the author and gone to the track with him. He's not afraid to push large amounts of money through the window to back his convictions. His is not a "do as I say, not as I do," or "I'm writing this book because I can't make money with the method" kind of dog and pony show. He sends it in. And he wins.

I'm not associated with the publication of this book, or stand to benefit from any sales of the product. I personally give it a "two thumbs up" though, and think anyone who's interested in form cycle analysis would benefit from reading it.

so.cal.fan
05-06-2002, 01:34 PM
I have long believed that one of the main factors determining a winner of a race, is the way the race is run.
My problem with pace handicapping is that the numbers just are not accurate. We all know this. We depend on chart callers personal observations. The errors can be gross.
Perhaps there are ways to compensate, but for me, being mathematically impaired.............
I do think that if they ever get these times accurate, via cameras at every pole, it will change the game.
That said, it is all relative, and I'm sure that good pace
handicappers pick more winners than I do.
Maybe, I should read the book?:confused:

GR1@HTR
05-06-2002, 03:57 PM
Thanks, I cleared out my savings account and sent him my $29.99.

ranchwest
05-06-2002, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by GR1

I thought I told you to get a dog that doesn't eat up your savings.

Tom
05-07-2002, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by GR1

I have been trying to incorporate the book's ideas about pace figures in my handicapping using the Pratt program - the screen with the HTR numbers and pace numbers. I think sometimes I am starting to see patterns, but it takes a lot of practice. I think improvement shows up in pace numbers before it does in final numbers and I like to look at the pace numbers that precede the better HTR numbers.

GR1@HTR
05-07-2002, 09:22 AM
Tom,

When I read his little article in Horseplayer Mag, his methodology surpisingly sounds exactly like what I do w/ HTR right now-->Utilizing the Advanced PP, Prat 2, custom program, comprehensive trainer stats, velocity and looking for any type of changes....all in an effort to project a final performance fig.