PDA

View Full Version : Day trading/Handicapping

Dan Montilion
07-02-2004, 02:29 AM
Was called in for jury duty on July 1. I was called into the jury box and seated next to a man that was a day trader. The judge and attorneys started with their questions. However, the day trader was excused by the judge as the judge reasoned that the day trader was self employed and could not make a living while sereving for the appx. 10 days of the trial. I was next to be questioned, I gave my back ground and let the court know I was a full time handicapper. The judge inquired as to speacilty, I responded horses only. And we then went on with the questioning in other areas. It just seems strange I was not afforded the same respect as the so called day trader. After 15 years of this type of response from society I'm very much used to it and really don't think much of it at all. But it just reminded me of how what we do for a living, partial living, avocation or just fun is looked at by others. I was eventually booted by one of the attorneys a bit later.

Dan Montilion

PaceAdvantage
07-02-2004, 02:31 AM
And here I thought day traders actually got LESS respect than handicappers these days!!! LOL

Valuist
07-02-2004, 10:10 AM
Are there are day traders any more? I don't see any more commercials for E-Trade or Ameritrade. That was such a joke; racing handicappers and sports bettors can tell you why they made a bet; most day traders have no idea what or why they're buying (or selling).

JustRalph
07-02-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Valuist
Are there are day traders any more? I don't see any more commercials for E-Trade or Ameritrade. That was such a joke; racing handicappers and sports bettors can tell you why they made a bet; most day traders have no idea what or why they're buying (or selling).

my brother does it a little still. He has done it full time in the last few years (while job hunting after a layoff) but not for more than about 4-5 mths. He has made some serious scratch though. And still does every now and then..............

horsemaven
07-02-2004, 08:19 PM
I'm currently a day trader...at the horse exchanges, that is. I've been averaging about $800-1000/month for the past year. At first, I thought most of my profits would come from "laying" -- betting against bad favorites. Instead, I catch many $10-20 horses that pay twice the track mutual. However, I do this on a small scale because most of my day involves evaluating horse matchups and constructing exotic wagers in addition to handicapping about 4-5 tracks.

horsemaven

kingfin66
07-02-2004, 09:18 PM
I think you already know how society sees this:

Daytrader = Equity analyst

Dan M. = Degenerate gambler

Of course on the PA board, we know much better:

Daytrader = Equity speculator

Dan M. = Asture equine investor.

superfecta
07-06-2004, 02:03 AM
caught an article on CNBC (I think, I was channel surfin)about the companies that rate stock traded companies.Evidently there is widespread favoritism and vindictiveness going on .If the rating company likes you or doesn't like you can affect your rating(instead of what you earn or pay shareholders)sometimes inflating a rating because the company was a media darling or favorite of the rating company.And there wasn't much uproar according to this report.It was just accepted as fact and it was up to the customer to find out which company was the best to rate stocks.
Think about that,if you knew the DRF was playing with the PP of certain horses,changing the past performances because they like the owner or hate the trainer....:rolleyes:

Valuist
07-06-2004, 09:47 AM
I think trainers like Shuman and Mullins are saints compared to the financial analysts on Wall Street.