PDA

View Full Version : Does any owner ever skip the Derby?

Stillriledup
05-04-2016, 06:46 PM
Assuming you have the points and the horse health, does anyone ever do the prudent thing and pass for a better spot?

I'm not talking about major contenders, just horses with no real hope. Every no hoper that's elig seems to show up.

I guess you can say that a horse like Mine That Bird was also a no hoper before the race, I can't argue with that, but for every mine that bird there are dozens of outlier horses who get beaten a long way and are either never the same or you never hear their names again.

clocker7
05-04-2016, 06:56 PM
Not anymore.

There were decades when there were many opportunities for owner glory and ego gratification. Nowadays, it's the KD and the BCC. How can they impress their friends with a win in the Big Cap, the Suburban, or the Woodward anymore?

The Kentucky Derby is the best sports party week in the US. Better than the Super Bowl, even.

PowerUpPaynter
05-04-2016, 07:22 PM
Sunny Ridge would of skipped if he qualified. Owner said would of went Preakness then his main goal is the Haskell. Weird right? He is from Jersey but still

cj
05-04-2016, 07:26 PM
Sunny Ridge would of skipped if he qualified. Owner said would of went Preakness then his main goal is the Haskell. Weird right? He is from Jersey but still

Who knows if he really skips had his horse done better in the Gotham.

VigorsTheGrey
05-04-2016, 07:50 PM
Lani should skip the Derby...I'm picturing Lani is in mainly as a tune up for the Preakness...what was up with the 3 mile jog/ workout the other day? I mean who does that right before the Derby? Unless they are trying to build stamina for the Belmont?

depalma113
05-04-2016, 09:31 PM
Lani should skip the Derby...I'm picturing Lani is in mainly as a tune up for the Preakness...what was up with the 3 mile jog/ workout the other day? I mean who does that right before the Derby? Unless they are trying to build stamina for the Belmont?

You don't prepare a horse to go a mile and a quarter with 5 furlong workouts.

depalma113
05-04-2016, 09:33 PM
Assuming you have the points and the horse health, does anyone ever do the prudent thing and pass for a better spot?

There is no better spot.

It's a $2 million dollar race with a chance at a $50 million dollar stud deal.

whodoyoulike
05-04-2016, 09:36 PM

I'm not talking about major contenders, just horses with no real hope. Every no hoper that's elig seems to show up.

I guess you can say that a horse like Mine That Bird was also a no hoper before the race, I can't argue with that, but for every mine that bird there are dozens of outlier horses who get beaten a long way and are either never the same or you never hear their names again.

Something like this, in a BloodHorse article from today:

... With the connections of "bubble horse" Fellowship opting to run in the Pat Day Mile (gr. III) on the Kentucky Derby undercard rather than sit on the also-eligible list, and Adventist's connections opting to pass on the "AE" opportunity as well, ...

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/211347/field-of-22-set-for-142nd-kentucky-derby

davew
05-04-2016, 10:21 PM
I have seen quite a few skip the Derby and start the Preakness or Belmont - and what is going on with Songbird, is she going to hit a later classic?

andtheyreoff
05-04-2016, 11:00 PM
Red Bullet passed on the Derby after running second in the Wood back in 2000, and wound up winning the Preakness as the freshest horse in the field. A master stroke, it was.

minethatbird08
05-04-2016, 11:30 PM
There have been a couple recently. Divining Rod skipped last year.