PDA

View Full Version : Anglea Hermann named Golden Gate announcer

cj
05-02-2016, 12:38 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/people/notable-first-golden-gate-hires-angela-hermann-track-announcer/

Valuist
05-02-2016, 02:15 PM
I know she's been doing the race analysis out here recently and has been doing Cby for a few years. And she did the spring Hawthorne meet two years ago when Jim Miller wasn't there. As for her announcing skills? I have no idea. I'm guessing she probably filled in for Paul Allen at Cby when the Vikings were playing.

JohnGalt1
05-02-2016, 04:13 PM
When she did the paddock analysis she was such a fast talker it was sometimes hard to understand her.

But when she called races at Canterbury she did a great job.

I expect her to do as well at Golden Gate.

dilanesp
05-02-2016, 05:35 PM
She joins Renel Brooks-Moon, the PA announcer of the Giants (who herself replaced Sherry Davis in the job), up there. San Francisco is extremely progressive-- most places don't have one female PA announcer in a major sport; they've now had three.

Zaf
05-02-2016, 09:22 PM
Wow cool congrats :ThmbUp: , has there ever been a female announcer who had a regular gig at a major racetrack ?

Z

thespaah
05-02-2016, 11:10 PM
I know she's been doing the race analysis out here recently and has been doing Cby for a few years. And she did the spring Hawthorne meet two years ago when Jim Miller wasn't there. As for her announcing skills? I have no idea. I'm guessing she probably filled in for Paul Allen at Cby when the Vikings were playing.
I'm probably going to get skewered for this because....well, just because.
I listened to her Canterbury calls. She is very nasal. And she needs to polish up her calls. I am partial to smooth calls, as opposed to choppy or halting.
I think a few visits to a speech coach will make her a better race announcer.
One thing she can do is learn to breathe. Running out of breath causes any speaker to sound nasal.

Zaf
05-02-2016, 11:17 PM
well lets see how she does with a little more experience under her belt.

Z

castaway01
05-02-2016, 11:28 PM
Wow cool congrats :ThmbUp: , has there ever been a female announcer who had a regular gig at a major racetrack ?

Z

According to the DRF, Angela Hermann was the first woman to ever call a full race card when she filled in for the Canterbury announcer in 2013, so I imagine she's the first female to ever get a "regular gig" anywhere.

I've honestly never heard her call a race so I can't give an opinion on that, but best of luck to her.

kevb
05-02-2016, 11:40 PM
Here are some of her calls at Canterbury. She has a rather unique style of combining calling and commenting. I think the small fields at GGF will help her relax a little and polish her skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuZQ44a5z4o

Stillriledup
05-03-2016, 03:45 AM
According to the DRF, Angela Hermann was the first woman to ever call a full race card when she filled in for the Canterbury announcer in 2013, so I imagine she's the first female to ever get a "regular gig" anywhere.

I've honestly never heard her call a race so I can't give an opinion on that, but best of luck to her.

here's more on this.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106285&highlight=hermann

dilanesp
05-05-2016, 05:24 PM
She's a bit nervous today. When announcing, you have to formulate every word before you enunciate, and she's getting ahead of herself. I know she has a fair amount of experience on television, however, so I am sure this will come.

fiznow
05-05-2016, 06:01 PM
She's a bit nervous today. When announcing, you have to formulate every word before you enunciate, and she's getting ahead of herself. I know she has a fair amount of experience on television, however, so I am sure this will come.

Yes i also recognized she is nervous but I like her style.

MonmouthParkJoe
05-05-2016, 07:38 PM
I dont care for her race calls, but then again I can say that about half the callers now. I am glad to see a woman get the chance though.

chenoa
05-05-2016, 09:11 PM
Too much ad lib. Just call the race. Reminds me of Matt Jukich at Northlands Park.

However, I do think she will improve with more experience unlike some!! ;)

ronsmac
05-06-2016, 11:09 AM
I love that she's been given a chance. Hopefully she does well.

AlBundy33
05-06-2016, 11:30 AM
Too much ad lib. Just call the race. Reminds me of Matt Jukich at Northlands Park.

However, I do think she will improve with more experience unlike some!! ;)

Her style of calling reminds me a lot like Shane Bacon when he was at Pocono Downs. Good announcer although he could get a bit sing-song at times.

If she can get over stumbling her words, I think the sky's the limit because she does have a good voice.

sharkie187
05-06-2016, 06:59 PM
She has a good style but she seems nervous and a bit unsure on blanket finishes.

SandyW
05-06-2016, 11:54 PM
Trying to get to fancy with her calls, just call the races as you see them unfold.

no breathalyzer
05-07-2016, 07:46 AM
they should of hired the old CT guy.. same skill set anyways.... hope she calms down and does well tho

jeebus1083
05-07-2016, 08:47 AM
She BLEW the 6th race at GG yesterday. Proclaimed SILVER ICE as home free, only for MC CANNS HALF FULL to close and force a photo which she called for SILVER. Unfortunately, MC CANN won the bob.

Redbullsnation
05-07-2016, 08:55 AM
Jesus, GG just made a bad move here. I'm just wondering what Frank's thought of this is...along with several others who were in the running of the gig. They must be pissed

cj
05-07-2016, 09:31 AM
What has she called, 100 races total? I'm sure she'll get better.

AlBundy33
05-07-2016, 09:39 AM

I'd be surprised if she called half of that to be honest.

Peter Berry
05-07-2016, 09:45 AM
Jesus, GG just made a bad move here. I'm just wondering what Frank's thought of this is...along with several others who were in the running of the gig. They must be pissed
Most of the announcers who were "in the running" were very supportive and wished her well. With time, I expect she'll be widely accepted.

Tom
05-07-2016, 09:57 AM
How did someone with so little experience and apparently no proven track record i the field ever get the job in the first place?

I have no idea who she is, don't care to find out, and will probably never hear a call from her as GG is not on my list of tracks to care about.

Just curious.

Plain Steve
05-07-2016, 10:09 AM
I listened to the Youtube clip and thought she's fine. I much prefer her to the guy calling the New York races now. My favorite race caller was the now retired Trevor Denman.

fiznow
05-07-2016, 10:22 AM
I was hoping Tony Calo comes back. One of my favorite race callers, now at Finger Lakes.
But hey, give Anglea a chance, she will get better when less nervous.

Rollingpk3
05-07-2016, 12:09 PM
I was hoping Tony Calo comes back. One of my favorite race callers, now at Finger Lakes.
But hey, give Anglea a chance, she will get better when less nervous.

agree totally with the first half of this post

picojim
05-07-2016, 06:12 PM
just blew the call in the 7th

chenoa
05-07-2016, 06:30 PM
Most of the announcers who were "in the running" were very supportive and wished her well. With time, I expect she'll be widely accepted.

Maybe it's a PR move by GGF if not cost cutting. I like her voice and would be a great addition as a handicapper on Santa Anita/Del Mar circuit.

But saying she will be widely accepted I sincerely doubt. Right now its EMBARRASSING to watch and listen to.

dilanesp
05-07-2016, 10:00 PM
I think she's going to be fine once she settles down. She actually has a very good, conversational style that is really different than most announcers; she comments on the race more than she calls it, and that's fine.

But she's clearly nervous, and she has been "wrapping up" races too soon, because she doesn't realize that on Tapeta, these late race moves are fairly common and horses can get nailed on the wire.

Give her time.

Zaf
05-07-2016, 10:03 PM
I think she's going to be fine once she settles down. She actually has a very good, conversational style that is really different than most announcers; she comments on the race more than she calls it, and that's fine.

But she's clearly nervous, and she has been "wrapping up" races too soon, because she doesn't realize that on Tapeta, these late race moves are fairly common and horses can get nailed on the wire.

Give her time.
:ThmbUp:

thespaah
05-08-2016, 08:40 PM
Sure. I would like to see her enlist the services of a speech coach.

thespaah
05-08-2016, 08:42 PM
Her style of calling reminds me a lot like Shane Bacon when he was at Pocono Downs. Good announcer although he could get a bit sing-song at times.

If she can get over stumbling her words, I think the sky's the limit because she does have a good voice.
Some of the old school harness announcers tend to do that. The sing song thing.

Redbullsnation
05-09-2016, 01:04 PM
Some of the old school harness announcers tend to do that. The sing song thing.

*cough**cough* Roger Huston *cough**cough*

Poindexter
05-09-2016, 01:58 PM
I just listened to 3 races out of curiousity. JMO, but I believe that the job of the announcer is(or at least certainly should be) to make racing exciting and get the public's adrenaline flowing Let's just say I do not think that is her strength. Ability to call horses was fine, I just think there is much more to the gig than that. By the way she is not the only announcer this critique applies to.

hracingplyr
05-13-2016, 08:46 PM
Is the worst. Would rather listen to Mike Bataglia

v j stauffer
05-13-2016, 09:32 PM
Is the worst. Would rather listen to Mike Bataglia

Go ahead. Nobody is forcing you to listen.

Does it make you feel good by knocking someone?

That's nice. :)

Stillriledup
05-13-2016, 11:17 PM
If an announcer doesn't 'blend into the background' I find it almost impossible to listen due to the concentration I need and want watching the races, I think this is why guys like grunder get flack because his tone is not what we are used to 99 pct of the time. I've heard tens of thousands of race calls and mosT of the time the cadence of the voice fits with what my brain is trained to hear, If we get away from that, makes me not want to listen. I'll listen to a few announcers but most of them get muted.

Mechanic
05-14-2016, 02:56 AM
Go ahead. Nobody is forcing you to listen.

Does it make you feel good by knocking someone?

That's nice. :)
MUTE, that's what I did with Vic! at least Vic did not make me switch to the Playboy channel for a quickie :kiss:

v j stauffer
05-14-2016, 05:57 AM
MUTE, that's what I did with Vic! at least Vic did not make me switch to the Playboy channel for a quickie :kiss:

See. Here's a man that mutes. That's all you have to do.

No ripping of someone following a lifelong dream necessary.

upthecreek
05-14-2016, 06:19 AM
I'm sorry that's bad. Very hard to listen to. She wasn't ready for that gig

ronsmac
05-15-2016, 01:56 PM
I'm sorry that's bad. Very hard to listen to. She wasn't ready for that gigI was really pulling for this lady, but after hearing her 5 or 6 times it's clear she's not ready yet. Maybe she'll improve but the interview process should've disqualified her unless she's just having a bad couple of weeks.

ultracapper
05-15-2016, 02:15 PM

Frank Mirahmadi's situation in the race callers landscape is frustrating to say the least. I was pulling for Wrona to get the SA gig, but recognized just how good a caller Mirahmadi is, all the same. It seems to me this guy should be able to get a rock solid gig in a place that is acceptable to him. Even after not getting the SA gig, I still consider him one of the finest callers out there right now. Yet he can't seem to secure a job that he can just sit back and say, there, I've got it, let's make a long run of this gig. Obviously, like Vic, he has preferred places and doesn't want to cheat himself by taking something he doesn't really want, but this guy should be at the top of each and every list when an opening comes up. He's a really good race caller.

cj
05-15-2016, 02:24 PM
Frank Mirahmadi's situation in the race callers landscape is frustrating to say the least. I was pulling for Wrona to get the SA gig, but recognized just how good a caller Mirahmadi is, all the same. It seems to me this guy should be able to get a rock solid gig in a place that is acceptable to him. Even after not getting the SA gig, I still consider him one of the finest callers out there right now. Yet he can't seem to secure a job that he can just sit back and say, there, I've got it, let's make a long run of this gig. Obviously, like Vic, he has preferred places and doesn't want to cheat himself by taking something he doesn't really want, but this guy should be at the top of each and every list when an opening comes up. He's a really good race caller.

He is the main guy at Monmouth. I assume he chose that over Golden Gate, and who wouldn't? Doesn't Mth count?

ultracapper
05-15-2016, 02:33 PM
I didn't realize Monmouth was a regular meet for him. I thought he had kind of bounced in and out of it.

ronsmac
05-15-2016, 03:04 PM
Frank Mirahmadi's situation in the race callers landscape is frustrating to say the least. I was pulling for Wrona to get the SA gig, but recognized just how good a caller Mirahmadi is, all the same. It seems to me this guy should be able to get a rock solid gig in a place that is acceptable to him. Even after not getting the SA gig, I still consider him one of the finest callers out there right now. Yet he can't seem to secure a job that he can just sit back and say, there, I've got it, let's make a long run of this gig. Obviously, like Vic, he has preferred places and doesn't want to cheat himself by taking something he doesn't really want, but this guy should be at the top of each and every list when an opening comes up. He's a really good race caller.I do feel bad for Frank. I think he's better than Wrona. Just my opinion. He gave up Oaklawn for a shot at Santa Anita and unfortunately it didn't work out. I hope he's making enough money calling 2 and then 3 days a week calling Monmouth to make it worth it for him.

SandyW
05-15-2016, 03:10 PM
I don't know what Golden Gate is trying to prove, this girl may be the nicest person in the world, but she sure can't call a race. All you have to do is listen and you will hear what I mean. In a word Terrible.

therussmeister
05-15-2016, 03:59 PM
One thing I don't think has been mentioned here, I believe she is only under contract for all of five or six weeks, until the end of the current meet. I don't think it is that bad of an idea to give her this brief opportunity.

dilanesp
05-15-2016, 04:11 PM
I just spent 20 minutes with her- she's very nice. (She bought me a cup of coffee at Golden Gate.)

She works very hard and listens to her critics. She wants to know everything she needs to improve on. (Indeed, our meeting came about after she wrote me back after I had said online that she was wrapping up races too early.)

I was VERY impressed. She will improve - I can almost guarantee it.

dilanesp
05-15-2016, 06:21 PM
Oh, and "Ed Johnson has the Alcatraz locked up!"

Light
05-15-2016, 06:34 PM
One thing I don't think has been mentioned here, I believe she is only under contract for all of five or six weeks, until the end of the current meet. I don't think it is that bad of an idea to give her this brief opportunity.

Considering how uptight the GG management has been in the past with race callers such as letting go of Wrona (previously for his accent), Colmus and Calo, it would surprise me if they held on to someone the public is not that happy with.

Valuist
05-15-2016, 06:44 PM
He is the main guy at Monmouth. I assume he chose that over Golden Gate, and who wouldn't? Doesn't Mth count?

But Monmouth is only 3 days a week. I guess GG is only 4, but isn't Frank a California guy anyways? I think Frank is better than Wrona, but he rolled the dice by giving up Oaklawn, which is unfortunate.

thespaah
05-15-2016, 08:10 PM
*cough**cough* Roger Huston *cough**cough*
Ya know what...Huston is an acquired taste. I do not care for his style. However, those in ear shot will have no issue with understanding his speech.
Very clear.

Tape Reader
05-15-2016, 08:27 PM
I always cut a little slack to race callers as I think it is one of the most difficult professions.

I was just watching my first race call of hers, as my significant other walked in. I asked, what did you think? “Show me a picture of her and I will tell you how Guys will vote.”

Anyone have a picture?

castaway01
05-15-2016, 08:35 PM
I always cut a little slack to race callers as I think it is one of the most difficult professions.

I was just watching my first race call of hers, as my significant other walked in. I asked, what did you think? “Show me a picture of her and I will tell you how Guys will vote.”

Anyone have a picture?

I actually think if she's attractive she's going to take more crap because people will assume she got the job through that reason alone.

As far as what she looks like, never heard of Google? Two seconds and you'll know.

SandyW
05-15-2016, 08:37 PM
The 8th race at Golden Gate, she did not see or call the 1 down on the rail as the winner until after the race. This girl is very light on experience and needs a lot of work.

molson721
05-15-2016, 08:49 PM
I've heard in the past and found her to be quite good. I've listened to her since she took over at GG and I think she is choking with "the game on the line". I just listened to her call on race 8 on 5/15 and during the stretch run, she never mentioned the winner of a pretty close race until the final strides. I could give other examples.
She needs more experience before becoming a full time race caller but I am afraid the PC Police will condemn anybody that criticizes her and will keep her job because she is female. I would like to think you get the job because you've earned it and not because the PC Police believe that the children should pay for the sins of their parents and grand parents! Another words, white males have no right to express an opinion!

AlBundy33
05-15-2016, 08:50 PM
Ya know what...Huston is an acquired taste. I do not care for his style. However, those in ear shot will have no issue with understanding his speech.
Very clear.

Funny thing is that twenty years ago I thought he was awesome. Now....not so much.

Tape Reader
05-15-2016, 09:19 PM
As far as what she looks like, never heard of Google? Two seconds and you'll know.

Thank you for the Google hint. I found a pic and tap my significant other on the shoulder (she is watching “Call the midwife”) and ask what she thinks: “She’s hot! I like her smile.”

So there you go. She will be a hit with Guys and Gals.

We both wish her good luck!

Light
05-15-2016, 10:43 PM
The 8th race at Golden Gate, she did not see or call the 1 down on the rail as the winner until after the race. This girl is very light on experience and needs a lot of work.

That call was so bad I feel bad for her.

KidCruz
05-16-2016, 02:43 AM
I think she deserves time to improve and expect that she will.

A lot of race callers at the major tracks right now like to use their judgement to determine how horses are looking, particularly Frank M and Aiello at GP. Phrasing like "Horse 1 is loaded," "Horse 1 is doing it comfortably" "Horse 1 calls it a day" etc.

It sounds like she is going out of her way to do this also and my opinion as a viewer is that she would be better off just giving us a straight forward call of the horses and their positions. Trying to guess which 10kN2L claimer in 4th place is ready to pounce is not worth even trying.

forced89
05-16-2016, 08:49 AM
At first blush I don't like her but agree that she needs to be given time. None of us were perfect the first day on the job.

Stoleitbreezing
05-16-2016, 12:47 PM
I'm not a big fan of hers either. I could live with the mistakes, at least at first, but her voice and how she calls the race are not pleasing to me.

She doesn't have the voice that would make me want to sit through an entire card. For lack of a better term, her voice strikes me as more "teacher voice" or "mom" than "Race Caller" voice.

I did get a chance to hear Dawn Lupul call Standardbred and I think Throughbred races at Woodbine awhile back and I actually enjoyed her calls. She was descriptive and also had the right urgency in her voice when it called for it.

salty
05-16-2016, 01:26 PM
I think everyone knows they can push the mute button if they don't like her. The thread is about her and her job is to call races. Out of curiosity I watched all of yesterday's races. One race when the gate opened (6 or 7) she says Go. Yes Go no exclamation point. She doesn't have a very energizing voice, not one stretch call was even slightly exciting. Calling out positions early in the race are seriously confusing. She threw in so much description about the predicaments that the horses were in that they get halfway through the race before she finishes calling off first to last. Imagine what happens on a day that may have full fields? But yeah race 8 sure did have a hectic stretch run :rolleyes:

Im not saying anything about whether she should have the job or not, just my thoughts on where she's at now. Rough

dXj2MnkN2nA

johnhannibalsmith
05-16-2016, 03:07 PM
.... She doesn't have a very energizing voice, not one stretch call was even slightly exciting. ...

I don't watch enough GG races to really have a strong opinion if I were so inclined, but I agree with a few of your observations. I generally like the style she's going for, but most of the calls are anything but symphonic. You can't really manufacture excitement, but you can sure stifle it through lack of contrast when you never bring your listeners down a bit in anticipation of a crescendo. I noticed a few calls the last couple of days where she seemed more deliberately methodical in simply reporting and I think you really need to be able to do that very well if you are going to effectively grab the listener's attention with commentary in the call or a timely observation. It can't all be poetry or it turns into improv jazz or something and even if you can't have a hook to keep us focused, you still need structure.

AlBundy33
05-16-2016, 03:29 PM
I don't watch enough GG races to really have a strong opinion if I were so inclined, but I agree with a few of your observations. I generally like the style she's going for, but most of the calls are anything but symphonic. You can't really manufacture excitement, but you can sure stifle it through lack of contrast when you never bring your listeners down a bit in anticipation of a crescendo. I noticed a few calls the last couple of days where she seemed more deliberately methodical in simply reporting and I think you really need to be able to do that very well if you are going to effectively grab the listener's attention with commentary in the call or a timely observation. It can't all be poetry or it turns into improv jazz or something and even if you can't have a hook to keep us focused, you still need structure.

Unless your name is Larry Lederman, Frank Mirahmadi and possibly Robin Burns. Not the add the recently retired Tom Durkin and Dan Loiselle.

dilanesp
05-16-2016, 05:26 PM
Unless your name is Larry Lederman, Frank Mirahmadi and possibly Robin Burns. Not the add the recently retired Tom Durkin and Dan Loiselle.

That's really unfair to Durkin. I wasn't a fan but his calls had plenty of structure and he made sure he gave you the basics of order and positions along with his commentary.

Miramahdi too.

AlBundy33
05-16-2016, 06:16 PM
That's really unfair to Durkin. I wasn't a fan but his calls had plenty of structure and he made sure he gave you the basics of order and positions along with his commentary.

Miramahdi too.

I think you misunderstood my post. No one is a bigger fan of Durkin and Mirahmadi than me. That what makes them great, because the have the ability to ad lib and come up with great words, with a bit of humor thrown in from time to time.

When it comes to Durkin, there is only one #1 and there is no number 2.

The one I was probably being truly unfair (not intentionally) was Angela Hermann. If only she still hasn't called a total of 100 races, where the guys I listed are well into the six figures between them in race calls.

SuperPickle
05-16-2016, 06:27 PM
I think something people are forgetting when people criticize Angela or Matt Dinerman is we don't have a lot of bench strength.

There's not a ton of announcers out there and there's certainly not a lot of young up and comers. I think Angela deserves a ton of credit for taking the job and trying to become an announcer.

Remember 20 years almost every track had a dedicated backup announcer. Some even had three. Now with the exception of NYRA it's who ever is around. Santa Anita uses the guy from Los Al. Gulfstream uses the Pompano guy. etc.

Earlier this year Portland Meadows went two days with no announcer because the guy was sick.

I don't think people are coming at this issue with perspective there's not enough bodies for the seats.

I keep waiting for the first racino to going annoucerless. My hunch is at this point the position only exists in some places because of liability. That if there's an accident or a horse going the wrong way they need a person to alert everyone.

chenoa
05-16-2016, 06:36 PM
Wouldn't that be something if Dawn Lupul ends up replacing her. :lol: :lol:

Only in Hollywood baby.

And for that matter, I think Dawn would do a bang up job.

AlBundy33
05-16-2016, 06:47 PM
I think something people are forgetting when people criticize Angela or Matt Dinerman is we don't have a lot of bench strength.

There's not a ton of announcers out there and there's certainly not a lot of young up and comers. I think Angela deserves a ton of credit for taking the job and trying to become an announcer.

Remember 20 years almost every track had a dedicated backup announcer. Some even had three. Now with the exception of NYRA it's who ever is around. Santa Anita uses the guy from Los Al. Gulfstream uses the Pompano guy. etc.

Earlier this year Portland Meadows went two days with no announcer because the guy was sick.

I don't think people are coming at this issue with perspective there's not enough bodies for the seats.

I keep waiting for the first racino to going annoucerless. My hunch is at this point the position only exists in some places because of liability. That if there's an accident or a horse going the wrong way they need a person to alert everyone.

Wait until Burgart, Grunder, Denman, Keith Jones and John Curran hang up the binoculars. In fact, one of the all time greats is calling at Fort Erie this season.

Shemp Howard
05-16-2016, 08:25 PM
I think she stinks.

jballscalls
05-16-2016, 08:32 PM

I filled in for a day after the quiet day at PM and most people said they preferred the person from the day before :)

v j stauffer
05-16-2016, 09:01 PM

FABULOUS POST :ThmbUp:

Stillriledup
05-17-2016, 12:44 PM

I only really 'use' the announcer for replays on occasion, racing has this archaic system in place where you don't really know the saddle cloth number of the horse you're watching because posts and cloth numbers don't always match and there's no way in drf that you can tell cloth number.

Redbullsnation
05-17-2016, 01:00 PM
Very clear.

I love Huston. Don't get me wrong, but he is that announcer who you can consider to be "sing-song"

dilanesp
05-17-2016, 01:44 PM
I only really 'use' the announcer for replays on occasion, racing has this archaic system in place where you don't really know the saddle cloth number of the horse you're watching because posts and cloth numbers don't always match and there's no way in drf that you can tell cloth number.

One thing to bear in mind is that track announcers' role has changed. They aren't hired to be "useful" so much anymore (though they do announce changes and stewards' decisions and the like). They are hired to be entertaining.

The most "useful" track announcer I ever heard was Marshall Cassidy. He added virtually nothing to the drama of a big stakes race, but he was incredibly accurate and went through the field as many times as he could. If you were watching a race and trying to follow a horse, he was great.

But the modern track announcer doesn't fill that role. Remember, most people at the track and simulcast outlets never hear the announcer while watching the race live anyway. The point is to have an entertaining soundtrack to a race when watching replays.

That's why you have, for instance, the love that many people express for Tom Durkin. People love his call of the 1994 Travers, and I totally understand why. But you didn't hear that call live at Saratoga or at a simulcast outlet when everyone was screaming. (You didn't hear it on ESPN either- Dave Johnson called the race on television.) You heard it on the replay. Tom Durkin was extremely entertaining when at his best.

Personally, I always liked the "useful" model. But I understand that we live in the modern world, and as the Portland Meadows anecdote indicates, track announcers aren't really very important anyway.

Given the world we live in, there's no reason why Golden Gate shouldn't form a long-term relationship with Angela Hermann. Let her grow in the job. Open up the profession for more female voices. Be a sign of progressivity and progress.

She's very, very smart, takes criticism, and is trying very hard to get better. I think she will.

dilanesp
05-17-2016, 02:26 PM
By the way, if you want a few minutes of fun, this "What's My Line" featuring Ann Elliott, who called races at Jefferson Downs in the early 1960's, is classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWDmsdSIWk4&feature=youtu.be

ultracapper
05-20-2016, 04:21 AM
Doing my replay work this evening, I came across 3 calls of hers. I thought all 3 calls were just fine, and I believe she's going to be just fine calling the races. Her voice is actually quite easy on the ears, and it's easy to watch those replays that she's calling.

I think it's a nice change of pace. She's the first female caller I've ever heard.

Tall One
05-20-2016, 08:28 AM
Over visiting my pops last night, flipped on TVG for a minute, and caught a GG race at post time. Now, I hadnt heard her yet, and my father, who only watches three races a year--TC--listened without me mentioning anything about the caller.

IMO, it wasnt that bad...With time, she'll get more comfortable, and will get her style worked out.

Pops: "Why, that's a woman calling this race...I like her voice, but sounds like she's nervous." During the stretch call, she stumbled over her words, which he followed up with "Well, spit it out girl.." :)

In an unfair comparison, I flipped over a bit later, and he got to listen to Wrona, who he was very impressed with. "Now, that girl could learn something from him.."

chenoa
06-03-2016, 09:09 PM
Just watched replay of today's 1st race, pretty botched up.

2 helpful hints:

i) Angela remember back in English class when the teacher gave you a essay assignment with a word limit. Start using a word limit in your calls, too much useless ad lib going on.

ii) It's a horse race not a short story, see point i). :lol:

upthecreek
06-03-2016, 09:21 PM

2 helpful hints:

i) Angela remember back in English class when the teacher gave you a essay assignment with a word limit. Start using a word limit in your calls, too much useless ad lib going on.

The other day Simon Bray called it a verbal description and Todd T " sends it out to Angela Herman for her comments" on race such and such They even realize she's not a race caller

JimmyQ
06-03-2016, 09:41 PM
The other day Simon Bray called it a verbal description and Todd T " sends it out to Angela Herman for her comments" on race such and such They even realize she's not a race caller

I told a friend the same thing when I heard Todd do this a few times last week like it was an inside joke and a discreet way to take a jab at her

JimmyQ

KidCruz
06-04-2016, 03:51 AM
I told a friend the same thing when I heard Todd do this a few times last week like it was an inside joke and a discreet way to take a jab at her

JimmyQ

Todd Schrupp is an asshole if he really did this. Even if she was the worst race caller in the history of mankind, he proves himself to be even worse with this unwarranted lack of professionalism.

Parkview_Pirate
06-04-2016, 07:34 AM
The most "useful" track announcer I ever heard was Marshall Cassidy. He added virtually nothing to the drama of a big stakes race, but he was incredibly accurate and went through the field as many times as he could. If you were watching a race and trying to follow a horse, he was great.

I also enjoyed Marshall Cassidy because he did go quickly through the field, and I could read the Form for the next race while a race was running. In other words, a great caller for radio.

At the other end of the "excitement" spectrum was Phil Georgeff, who could make a $4K claimer at Sportsmen sound like a G1 at Arlington.

Angela has an excellent speaking voice, and I like the detailed trip info on some of the horses. But her "race conversation" style is at odds with what many fans are used to - not sure how that plays out in the long run. My only complaint is that with a lack of "sing song" to the "call", sometimes a race is half over before I know it.... :)

SandyW
06-04-2016, 08:57 AM

2 helpful hints:

This is the best advice that anyone can give this girl if she ever wants to improve, can get better if she accepts some corrective criticism.

Tom
06-04-2016, 09:01 AM
Her voice is not that a domineering (?) type - you know, that set it aside from the rest - let's you know it it thoneone in charge. She sound lore like some sitting net to you. Nothing wrong with her words or style, just lacks a punch in the delivery.

AlBundy33
06-04-2016, 09:33 AM
Todd Schrupp is an asshole if he really did this. Even if she was the worst race caller in the history of mankind, he proves himself to be even worse with this unwarranted lack of professionalism.

Probably the best thing that did happen to Calder was when TVG hired him so they could bring in Bobby Neuman (where the hell is he, good announcer) to take over for Phil Saltzman when he retired. :D

But yeah, for Schrupp to make any kind of snide comments when he is the worst at what he does is a bit rich.

fiznow
06-04-2016, 02:23 PM
The best race caller GG had was Tony Calo. He even made me play Finger Lakes. ;)

cj
06-04-2016, 02:34 PM
The best race caller GG had was Tony Calo. He even made me play Finger Lakes. ;)

Nah, that would be Larry Collmus. :)

Track Phantom
06-04-2016, 03:39 PM
At the other end of the "excitement" spectrum was Phil Georgeff, who could make a $4K claimer at Sportsmen sound like a G1 at Arlington.
In my opinion, he was the best of all-time. Absolute best.

mountainman
06-04-2016, 04:58 PM
Obviously a very hard worker with good knowledge of the sport, but the talent seems limited, and the low-key style not worth striving for. Congrats to a plucky gal for breaking the glass ceiling-but rather ironic that her God-given ability sets a different kind of roof.

Someday, a great female caller WILL come along-and owe a debt to this modestly talented lady.

FrankieFigs
06-04-2016, 05:15 PM
Probably the best thing that did happen to Calder was when TVG hired him so they could bring in Bobby Neuman (where the hell is he, good announcer) to take over for Phil Saltzman when he retired. :D

But yeah, for Schrupp to make any kind of snide comments when he is the worst at what he does is a bit rich.

Always liked his calls. I really thought he would get a gig somewhere else when Calder shut its doors. He has basically disappeared.

BIGTKLO
06-04-2016, 06:36 PM
Golden Gate has had some very good callers; Denman, Wrona, Stauffer, Collmus and my personal favorite John Gibson. I grew up in the Bay Area, and really enjoyed going to Golden Gate Fields and Bay Meadows on the weekends with my father. John Gibson was so awesome in his day. I start my race calls "AND THERE THEY GO" because of John, who learned under Harry Henson, as did Vic.

cj
06-04-2016, 08:54 PM
Clearly Golden Gate made the right hire! How do I know, you may ask? When has that track ever had a seven page (and growing) thread?

kingfin66
06-04-2016, 09:08 PM
I hate to harshly criticize race callers. I believe it is a hard job. With that said, Angela is new in this career and is obviously not top flight yet. It is my hope that she eventually grows into a solid race caller at GG and who knows where else. It is nice to hear a female voice in a male dominated sport.

the little guy
06-04-2016, 09:08 PM
Clearly Golden Gate made the right hire! How do I know, you may ask? When has that track ever had a seven page (and growing) thread?

Exactly!!!

Light
06-04-2016, 09:23 PM
Golden Gate has had some very good callers; Denman, Wrona, Stauffer, Collmus and my personal favorite John Gibson. I grew up in the Bay Area, and really enjoyed going to Golden Gate Fields and Bay Meadows on the weekends with my father. John Gibson was so awesome in his day. I start my race calls "AND THERE THEY GO" because of John, who learned under Harry Henson, as did Vic.

John Gibson was my favorite all time as well.

Check out the caller today at TDN. Makes Anglea look good. She does sound on the improve,not stumbling over her words as much.

But I heard through the grapevine @ GG that she is temporary. (Don't know if I can count on the inside info of the bartender. LOL)

cj
06-04-2016, 09:45 PM
John Gibson was my favorite all time as well.

Check out the caller today at TDN. Makes Anglea look good. She does sound on the improve,not stumbling over her words as much.

But I heard through the grapevine @ GG that she is temporary. (Don't know if I can count on the inside info of the bartender. LOL)

That isn't really a grapevine thing. It was announced she was hired for the remainder of the current meet.

Redbullsnation
06-04-2016, 10:52 PM
That isn't really a grapevine thing. It was announced she was hired for the remainder of the current meet.

And I hope that is all she is hired for. GG can easily get a better track announcer and Angela is just not working out for anyone...

coachv30
06-04-2016, 11:58 PM
Dick Vitale gets my vote:D

chenoa
06-05-2016, 12:03 AM
Dick Vitale gets my vote:D

Might as well toss in Brent Musburger!!

You are lookin' live............ :lol:

coachv30
06-05-2016, 12:11 AM
Gilbert Godfrey or the late Sam kinison

Peter Berry
06-05-2016, 12:21 AM
I believe Angela represents the future of mid- to low-level tracks: a presentable all-rounder who can deliver expert handicapping analysis, accurate commentary on body language as the horses parade, racecalling and a strong presence on Twitter. She ticks all those boxes. As financially strapped tracks condense their workforce, more tracks will be seeking Angelas, be they male, female or transgender.

Redbullsnation
06-05-2016, 03:40 AM
I believe Angela represents the future of mid- to low-level tracks: a presentable all-rounder who can deliver expert handicapping analysis, accurate commentary on body language as the horses parade, racecalling and a strong presence on Twitter. She ticks all those boxes. As financially strapped tracks condense their workforce, more tracks will be seeking Angelas, be they male, female or transgender.

I think that description goes to that Emerald Downs track announcer. Fresh out out of colllege, too!!

v j stauffer
06-05-2016, 05:39 AM
Nah, that would be Larry Collmus. :)

I called two years at GGF. Any votes for the fat guy?

Peter Berry
06-05-2016, 07:19 AM
I think that description goes to that Emerald Downs track announcer. Fresh out out of colllege, too!!
Indeed. Matt is headed for the top; he's almost there already.

fiznow
06-05-2016, 07:46 AM
One of the best race callers today is John G. Dooley (Arlington, Fair Grounds) imo. He is very entertaining too and has a unique style.

upthecreek
06-05-2016, 09:12 AM
Indeed. Matt is headed for the top; he's almost there already.
He'll be OK when his voice finally changes Its ear piercing or screeching or something

mountainman
06-05-2016, 11:06 AM
For what it's worth, I think wannabe analysts are angling for a position that won't even exist at most tracks within a short time. Smaller tracks are looking to ELIMINATE the job-not re-task it to somebody who can fill another role.

In other words, NO analysis, not pseudo analysis, is the way of the future. Unless, that is, it's FREE analysis, which I think lots of aspirants would provide, just to get on tv and be heard.

John McGary, for example ( a good caller and handicapper) had to twist Mahoning's arm a bit for them to even ALLOW him to provide commentary free of charge.

I will admit , though, that my own usefullness in several capacities at Mnr is one reason I sleep well. So, yes indeed, versatility is a very good thing.

cj
06-05-2016, 12:50 PM

Since you had to toss your own hat in the ring I'll say no. :)

I honestly didn't remember that you called there. When was that?

johnhannibalsmith
06-05-2016, 01:10 PM
I tried to search on YouTube for a Cal Derby or San Fran Mile from mid-nineties, thinking '95 or '96, but alas my search skills aren't improving as quickly as my memory is declining. Think that's about right though.

kingfin66
06-05-2016, 02:06 PM
He'll be OK when his voice finally changes Its ear piercing or screeching or something

Watchu talking about Willis? His voice isn't the least bit high pitched or screeching. He sounds like he has been calling races for years.

upthecreek
06-05-2016, 02:14 PM
Watchu talking about Willis? His voice isn't the least bit high pitched or screeching. He sounds like he has been calling races for years.
Better get your hearing checked I can't listen him ,then again they could do away with all track announcers and I wouldn't bother me one bit

mountainman
06-05-2016, 02:17 PM

Collmus is OUTSTANDING, but I prefer you. In a photo. Equally accurate, equally focused, but a bit more flair, and somehow more ingratiating.

SandyW
06-05-2016, 05:55 PM
Just watched and listened to Anglea Hermann call of the 3ed race at GG, way to many mistakes, this girl has a very long way to go if she is going to be any kind of a race caller.
(http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130706)

Frost king
06-06-2016, 10:09 AM
Just watched and listened to Anglea Hermann call of the 3ed race at GG, way to many mistakes, this girl has a very long way to go if she is going to be any kind of a race caller.
(http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130706)

Until you can do a better job than her, you have no right critizing her. Try it your self sometime, and see how many mistakes you make. She is no different than Grunder at Tampa. The only difference, is she is a female, in a male dominated sport, both in the booth and at the betting lines.

Peter Berry
06-06-2016, 11:02 AM
I will admit, though, that my own usefullness in several capacities at Mnr is one reason I sleep well. So, yes indeed, versatility is a very good thing.
I just hope we have a track to go to for a few more years. The contraction of dates and horses is devastating. I don't sleep well.

Fager Fan
06-06-2016, 11:28 AM
Until you can do a better job than her, you have no right critizing her. Try it your self sometime, and see how many mistakes you make. She is no different than Grunder at Tampa. The only difference, is she is a female, in a male dominated sport, both in the booth and at the betting lines.

Of course the poster has the right to criticize her, just as we all have the right to criticize any race caller, jockey, trainer or other public figure in racing.

Why are you pointing out she's female? That had nothing to do with the criticism.

Appy
06-06-2016, 11:55 AM
She has a pleasant voice and unique style. Anytime something, or someone, is "different" lots of folks will object. As much as people harp about wanting change they nearly always resist when it happens.

Fager Fan
06-06-2016, 12:01 PM
She has a pleasant voice and unique style. Anytime something, or someone, is "different" lots of folks will object. As much as people harp about wanting change they nearly always resist when it happens.

Who has harped about change in race-calling? No one. Where was the outcry about hiring a woman race-caller? Nowhere.

She has a nice voice, but for radio or voice-overs or a multitude of other things. It's preferable to Battaglia's voice, but it's definitely not my cup of tea for race-calling.

v j stauffer
06-06-2016, 01:35 PM
Since you had to toss your own hat in the ring I'll say no. :)

I honestly didn't remember that you called there. When was that?

Since you've already said no. Why do you care when it was? Not a day goes by that this site becomes more and more like a gaggle of middle school girls.

v j stauffer
06-06-2016, 01:43 PM

I wondered how long it would take for this inane ridiculous take.

None of us can play basketball like Steph or Le Bron. But that stops nobody from commenting on their abilities.

Anybody that chooses to do a job in the public eye understands people will make comments both positive and negative. Comes with the territory whether their job is hard or not.

Stoleitbreezing
06-06-2016, 02:57 PM
She's yet to incorporate any excitement into the stretch calls. With the short fields at GG I only played that track to hear the call of Wrona, now with him gone, there is very little reason for me to play. If I do play I'll have to have the race on mute, and that defeats the purpose of playing the race to me.

mountainman
06-06-2016, 03:51 PM
I just hope we have a track to go to for a few more years. The contraction of dates and horses is devastating. I don't sleep well.

Don't sweat what you can't change, my friend. Let's just both maintain our high standards. Give it hell, Pete, and I will, too.

PaceAdvantage
06-06-2016, 04:13 PM
Until you can do a better job than her, you have no right critizing her.This is so wrong on so many levels.

If this were the case, sports talk radio would be out of business. Every single day, people call up and criticize athletes, commentators, etc. etc.

No different than what is going on here...I wish people would stop saying you can't criticize a public figure, especially someone in the entertainment/sports world, unless you can do it better yourself... :rolleyes:

PaceAdvantage
06-06-2016, 04:15 PM
Since you've already said no. Why do you care when it was? Not a day goes by that this site becomes more and more like a gaggle of middle school girls.Actually, it's gotten much better lately...you failed to notice somehow.

cj
06-06-2016, 04:18 PM
Since you've already said no. Why do you care when it was? Not a day goes by that this site becomes more and more like a gaggle of middle school girls.

I thought the 😄 made it clear I was joking. I used to never use those things but do now to avoid misunderstandings. I give up.

dilanesp
06-06-2016, 05:18 PM
This is so wrong on so many levels.

If this were the case, sports talk radio would be out of business. Every single day, people call up and criticize athletes, commentators, etc. etc.

No different than what is going on here...I wish people would stop saying you can't criticize a public figure, especially someone in the entertainment/sports world, unless you can do it better yourself... :rolleyes:

+1

I like Angela, both as a person and a racecaller. I think she will grow into the job.

But I have zero problem with people who criticize her, and it doesn't matter that some of the critics might not be able to call a snail race.

By the way, one of her great attributes is that she takes criticism and engages her critics. She wants to get better and listens.

dilanesp
06-06-2016, 05:19 PM
She's yet to incorporate any excitement into the stretch calls. With the short fields at GG I only played that track to hear the call of Wrona, now with him gone, there is very little reason for me to play. If I do play I'll have to have the race on mute, and that defeats the purpose of playing the race to me.

I don't think anyone should be betting a race because of the identity of the track announcer.

If there's a betting opportunity at Golden Gate, exploit it and make money. If there isn't, play another track.

EMD4ME
06-06-2016, 05:46 PM

I agree. I looked at the Mountain as "company" on a frigid Sunday/Monday night in Dec/Jan/Feb etc. (I know, insert Joke here of I should look to a woman for that :D )

You guys went from 5 nights a week year round to completely part time.

A shame....

EMD4ME
06-06-2016, 05:48 PM
I wondered how long it would take for this inane ridiculous take.

None of us can play basketball like Steph or Le Bron. But that stops nobody from commenting on their abilities.

Anybody that chooses to do a job in the public eye understands people will make comments both positive and negative. Comes with the territory whether their job is hard or not.

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Well said Vic

EMD4ME
06-06-2016, 05:49 PM
Actually, it's gotten much better lately...you failed to notice somehow.

I think he misses SRU :cool:

EMD4ME
06-06-2016, 05:50 PM
This is so wrong on so many levels.

Well said as well. I totally agree. If you engage in a public position, you are now opening your work up to positive and negative criticism.

EMD4ME
06-06-2016, 06:34 PM

Good point CJ!

Although I must add, you may get a lot of temporary views as cars drive by looking at your accident scene but a victim/causer of an accident is not where you want to be.....

BIGTKLO
06-06-2016, 07:19 PM
It is so true Vic.

EMD4ME
06-06-2016, 08:13 PM
It is so true Vic.

GOD, I WISH YOU WERE CALLING NYRA or SOME track I wager on. You're calls create excitement!!!

AND THERRRRRRRRRREEEE THEY GAAAAA OOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

And Vic Stauffer completes the SUUUUperFEEEEECTA :)

Midway down the backstretch and "I need the lead" is attempting to complete the KILLERRRRRRRR CRooooSSSoooovver.

Sorry for going off topic. You're signature phrases give your calls SO much charm. LOVE IT!!!

v j stauffer
06-07-2016, 02:02 AM
I thought the 😄 made it clear I was joking. I used to never use those things but do now to avoid misunderstandings. I give up.

I completely miss or misunderstand those dam smiley's all the time too.

Sorry for rushing to a negative conclusion.

My bad. Please forgive. :)

affirmedny
06-07-2016, 02:29 AM
+1 :ThmbUp: for the 1st sentence anyway

SuperPickle
06-07-2016, 05:21 PM
This is thing I don't get about every announcer thread. People complain about the voice. I don't get it.

People on this thread are saying "derrrrrrr she has a girl's voice." When Craig Evans came over to do Santa Anita is was "derrrr he has an accent."

Every announcing thread always has to morph into a voice/accent discussion. People do understand we ALL have accents and affectations, right?

In terms of Angela Hermann it you listen to her first week and her last week you can't dispute she's improved. There's no question that in a year or two she'll be solid.

Any an unrelated note I thought Terry Spurge's call of the Dubai World Cup was the best big stakes race call since Durkin retired. "Alchemy in the desert. Chrome turns to gold in Dubai" is an all-timer.

Now somebody will explain it sucked because he has an accent.

ronsmac
06-07-2016, 05:36 PM
This is thing I don't get about every announcer thread. People complain about the voice. I don't get it.

People on this thread are saying "derrrrrrr she has a girl's voice." When Craig Evans came over to do Santa Anita is was "derrrr he has an accent."

Every announcing thread always has to morph into a voice/accent discussion. People do understand we ALL have accents and affectations, right?

In terms of Angela Hermann it you listen to her first week and her last week you can't dispute she's improved. There's no question that in a year or two she'll be solid.

Any an unrelated note I thought Terry Spurge's call of the Dubai World Cup was the best big stakes race call since Durkin retired. "Alchemy in the desert. Chrome turns to gold in Dubai" is an all-timer.

Now somebody will explain it sucked because he has an accent.That dude in Dubai is world class.

letswastemoney
06-16-2016, 06:05 PM
If anyone is interested in this news...I just asked Angela in person if she's coming back, and she told me that she's calling the August meet at Golden Gate.

Wickel
06-16-2016, 07:31 PM

Now somebody will explain it sucked because he has an accent.

Of course we offer opinions on these things. Voice and voice inflections are two important traits for a horse-racing announcer. And in my humble opinion, the more Durkin-like a protege sounds, the better. Angela is accurate, makes few mistakes, but does it all in a dull, monotone delivery. No sense of drama or excitement whatsoever. Sure there's time for her to turn it around, but I haven't noted any improvement in those areas in the last couple of months. I want an announcer to get my juices flowing, especially down the stretch. She has none of these qualities.

EMD4ME
06-16-2016, 07:41 PM
Of course we offer opinions on these things. Voice and voice inflections are two important traits for a horse-racing announcer. And in my humble opinion, the more Durkin-like a protege sounds, the better. Angela is accurate, makes few mistakes, but does it all in a dull, monotone delivery. No sense of drama or excitement whatsoever. Sure there's time for her to turn it around, but I haven't noted any improvement in those areas in the last couple of months. I want an announcer to get my juices flowing, especially down the stretch. She has none of these qualities.

Forgive me if this has been said before but this thread is annoying the crap out of me, MORE THAN HANDICAPPER AL's diary.

She sucks. She doesn't suck because she's a woman she just sucks, period.

Monotone, trying to deliver a 1000 page story, taking her time in explaining it, all in 69 seconds doesn't work.

She has zero excitement and sounds like a novelty fill in, who was supposed to stay for 1 race and lasted a lifetime.

Sorry to be cruel but I'm tired of the defenders. If you are terrible at what you do, you are terrible. Don't blame the evaluator.

Good post :ThmbUp:

Just like these kids that are given participation trophies, they and she learn nothing with a clap for participating. Make someone strive to be the best. Tell them where they are lacking, directly.

Wickel
06-16-2016, 07:46 PM
Amen.

dilanesp
06-16-2016, 08:46 PM

This is silly. If you need an announcer to appreciate a horse race, that's your problem, not the announcer's.

dilanesp
06-16-2016, 08:50 PM
Also, they hired her on. She will be back in August at GGF.

Dave Schwartz
06-16-2016, 08:50 PM
Where can one hear a recent call from Ms. Hermann?

tanner12oz
06-16-2016, 09:13 PM
This is silly. If you need an announcer to appreciate a horse race, that's your problem, not the announcer's.

the announcer plays in integral part of the entire experience

tanner12oz
06-16-2016, 09:14 PM
Forgive me if this has been said before but this thread is annoying the crap out of me, MORE THAN HANDICAPPER AL's diary.

She sucks. She doesn't suck because she's a woman she just sucks, period.

Monotone, trying to deliver a 1000 page story, taking her time in explaining it, all in 69 seconds doesn't work.

She has zero excitement and sounds like a novelty fill in, who was supposed to stay for 1 race and lasted a lifetime.

Sorry to be cruel but I'm tired of the defenders. If you are terrible at what you do, you are terrible. Don't blame the evaluator.

Good post :ThmbUp:

Just like these kids that are given participation trophies, they and she learn nothing with a clap for participating. Make someone strive to be the best. Tell them where they are lacking, directly.

what he said

johnhannibalsmith
06-16-2016, 09:50 PM
Where can one hear a recent call from Ms. Hermann?

pUFIBjzK_Y0

therussmeister
06-16-2016, 10:06 PM
I thought that's why people bet money - to get their juices flowing.

therussmeister
06-16-2016, 10:08 PM
It was only relatively recently that Keeneland hired their first announcer.

dilanesp
06-16-2016, 10:33 PM

For my first 15 years as a horse racing fan, i never heard an announcer during a live race. The crowd noise at SoCsl tracks was too loud and the PA systems were inadequate.

Somehow i nonetheless became a fan of the sport.

upthecreek
06-17-2016, 06:12 AM
If anyone is interested in this news...I just asked Angela in person if she's coming back, and she told me that she's calling the August meet at Golden Gate.
Wasn't Roseanne Barr available? :lol:

castaway01
06-17-2016, 08:27 AM
For my first 15 years as a horse racing fan, i never heard an announcer during a live race. The crowd noise at SoCsl tracks was too loud and the PA systems were inadequate.

Somehow i nonetheless became a fan of the sport.

You've never really talked about how you feel about track announcers before, so I'm very thankful you explained it to us for the 1000th time here.

AlBundy33
06-17-2016, 09:03 AM
Wasn't Roseanne Barr available? :lol:

Couldn't afford replacing the equipment daily after spitting all over it constantly. :D

Tall One
06-17-2016, 10:24 AM
It was only relatively recently that Keeneland hired their first announcer.

'96 or '97 I think? Truly unique to go sixty odd years without an announcer, and I think only Keeneland could pull that off.

Becker is a class act, and respects the history. He calls the races, announces the connections in the winner's circle, and unless there needs to be something addressed over the pa system, you don't hear him again until the next race.

fiznow
06-17-2016, 12:01 PM
Anglea is improving indeed. I didn't watch all races on closing day but race 4 because I had a wager going on. Her call was good and clear without stumbling. And "Orchestral quaterhorses around the turn" just classy. So give the girl a chance.

SandyW
06-17-2016, 12:15 PM
Anglea is improving indeed. I didn't watch all races on closing day but race 4 because I had a wager going on. Her call was good and clear without stumbling. And "Orchestral quaterhorses around the turn" just classy. So give the girl a chance.

Between the pick 6 fiasco and Hermann's race calls, is there any reason what so ever to ever make a wager or watch another race at Golden Gate.

rman1049
06-17-2016, 12:21 PM
I have a proposal, We send Embriale to GG and this broad to the Finger...

We get Tony Calo on the NYRA circuit!!!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::coo l:

Grits
06-17-2016, 12:25 PM
I have a proposal, We send Embriale to GG and this broad to the Finger...

We get Tony Calo on the NYRA circuit!!!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::coo l:

Imbriale doesn't need to go anywhere!! He is a fantastic race caller. Leave him right in NY.

the little guy
06-17-2016, 12:50 PM
Imbriale doesn't need to go anywhere!! He is a fantastic race caller. Leave him right in NY.

But the idiotic use of the term "broad" to describe a woman didn't bother you?

AlBundy33
06-17-2016, 12:57 PM
Between the pick 6 fiasco and Hermann's race calls, is there any reason what so ever to ever make a wager or watch another race at Golden Gate.

The Pick 6 disaster and Beneto telling bettors to basically go to hell should be enough to never bet a race in California, regardless of who is calling the races.

Grits
06-17-2016, 01:51 PM
But the idiotic use of the term "broad" to describe a woman didn't bother you?

I let him slide 'cause he's a newb. However, I won't let him slide but once. :lol:

Ms.Hermann is doing fine. I hope she continues to develop her own style, make her own mark. I hope, too, she ignores the unkind comments from the peanut gallery.

Wickel
06-17-2016, 02:28 PM
How about sending Stauffer to Santa Anita, Mirahmadi to Golden Gate, let Wrona call the fair circuit and Angela can hone her craft at Portland Meadows or Hastings.

dilanesp
06-17-2016, 04:13 PM
You've never really talked about how you feel about track announcers before, so I'm very thankful you explained it to us for the 1000th time here.

Because a lot of people here say really silly things about announcers.

fiznow
06-17-2016, 04:42 PM

Well, to each her/his own. ;)

Stoleitbreezing
06-17-2016, 05:35 PM

This I agree with. The race calls adds to the excitement and anticipation of any race. I would think as a new person to horse racing, just seeing a bunch of horses running around on a tv monitor and hoping to catch your number somewhere in the field isn't as exciting as hearing the name of the horse making a "menacing move" on the turn.

I never understood why someone doesn't want to hear the call. Don't you at least want to hear about DQs and changes and such. The track probably loves all these old guys who sit in front of the tv without the volume on, then the track does one of those :3: is declared a non starter and is a refund. Unless your playing one track and not looking out the window or getting distracted by something else you will miss something important because the volume is off. I know plenty of guys who lost money and those that collected for this very reason.

As far as Angela goes I've seen her improve somewhat in terms of some of the mistakes she's made, but as others have said she's still not making the stretch calls exciting and is really giving a dull account of all the races there.

whodoyoulike
06-17-2016, 05:45 PM
The Pick 6 disaster and Beneto telling bettors to basically go to hell should be enough to never bet a race in California, regardless of who is calling the races.

I agree the pick 6 was a disaster and as they say bleep happens but why avoid excellent racing in other parts of the state?

Btw, the announcer is fine because isn't one of the functions of the announcer is to provide to the listener info as the race is running which is what she is doing very well. I listened to the YouTube provided earlier and if you were only focusing on your horse you could tell what the others were doing.

EMD4ME
06-17-2016, 06:00 PM
Who would you rather call Gibson's limp leg homer in 88?

Anglea or Vin Scully?

I'm sorry but excitement level, proper fluctuation of tone, spontaneous use of verbiage of excitement are NECESSARY in the post 30,000 fans at the track era.

Back then, I couldn't hear myself think while watching a race live.

Now, all I hear is the announcer. The announcer is vital on track and on the simulcast feed.

ebcorde
06-17-2016, 06:20 PM
but I dont have track video sound ON most of the time. Im watching movies or listening to music while races.

EMD4ME
06-17-2016, 06:28 PM
but I dont have track video sound ON most of the time. Im watching movies or listening to music while races.

I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, nor do I know anything about the brain BUT you're crazy :D

AlBundy33
06-17-2016, 06:57 PM
I agree the pick 6 was a disaster and as they say bleep happens but why avoid excellent racing in other parts of the state?

Btw, the announcer is fine because isn't one of the functions of the announcer is to provide to the listener info as the race is running which is what she is doing very well. I listened to the YouTube provided earlier and if you were only focusing on your horse you could tell what the others were doing.

Outside of the summer Del Mar meet and the Breeders Cup, West Coast racing doesn't do much for me. In fact, I actually miss Hollywood because it was one of my better tracks. It's just the "the hell with the bettors" comment is just a slap in the face.

As for Angela Hermann, I think I've been neutral when her race calling abilities are brought up. Is she the best....no. Is she the worst....no.

As I said either in this thread or another one, when you follow in the footsteps of Collmus, Calo, Stauffer, Wrona and Mirahmadi, it's would be tough for almost anyone, let alone someone who probably called less than 50 races prior to getting the job.

I don't blame Angela, if you're going to blame anyone, blame Stronach, Joe Morris and Golden Gate Fields. After all, they are the ones that made the decision to hire her.

djm1959
06-17-2016, 07:30 PM
i watch races on silent via twinspires tv ,, my own racing channel!!

love my new zealand or dog races on my betamerica acct

since i play same triple and super combos at all tracks

i dont need annoucers.. well maybe christina blacker... :D :D

thespaah
06-17-2016, 10:10 PM
That dude in Dubai is world class.
So is the guy that does racing in Japan..Not that guy. The guy that does them in English

chenoa
06-17-2016, 11:13 PM
Dubai caller is Terry Spargo, he also did calling/presenting in Hong Kong.

World class caller. :ThmbUp:

Tom
06-18-2016, 05:51 PM
Talk about your calls to remember.....

Belmont, R9 today

"It's the Impostor!"
"Or is it?" :lol: :lol:

ebcorde
06-18-2016, 06:07 PM
I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, nor do I know anything about the brain BUT you're crazy :D

why listen to a race call. I can see it with my own eyes.

oh yeah I can multi-task too :D

EMD4ME
06-18-2016, 06:10 PM
Talk about your calls to remember.....

Belmont, R9 today

"It's the Impostor!"
"Or is it?" :lol: :lol:

I hope a scandal comes out where a ringer was impersonating imposter :D

PaceAdvantage
06-20-2016, 12:10 PM
Because a lot of people here say really silly things about announcers.Indeed they do. Silly things like, announcers don't matter.

Apparently, you never had the pleasure of being a fan of NYRA during the Durkin years.

I feel for you. Deprived, you are (sayeth Yoda).

dilanesp
06-20-2016, 02:25 PM
Indeed they do. Silly things like, announcers don't matter.

Apparently, you never had the pleasure of being a fan of NYRA during the Durkin years.

I feel for you. Deprived, you are (sayeth Yoda).

I enjoyed New York racing just as much during the Cassidy years.

Remember, my local announcer was Trevor Denman, a far better annoumcer than Durkin, and we also had Vic Stauffer, also far better than Durkin.

Didn't matter at all. I still love the races just as much, even though I miss hearing them.

The sport transcends the annoumcer.

PaceAdvantage
06-20-2016, 02:32 PM
and we also had Vic Stauffer, also far better than Durkin.Now THAT'S funny...thanks for the laugh.

Tall One
06-20-2016, 02:42 PM
I enjoyed New York racing just as much during the Cassidy years.

Remember, my local announcer was Trevor Denman, a far better annoumcer than Durkin, and we also had Vic Stauffer, also far better than Durkin

Cassidy's voice was akin to watching paint dry, but i suppose that was his style, and he did a good job with it....no non-sense, and just called what was out there.

Second paragraph boils down to whether you're on the east or west coast. Denman was great, and Stauffer was as steady as they come, but I dont think either were better than Tom Durkin.

v j stauffer
06-20-2016, 03:26 PM
Cassidy's voice was akin to watching paint dry, but i suppose that was his style, and he did a good job with it....no non-sense, and just called what was out there.

Second paragraph boils down to whether you're on the east or west coast. Denman was great, and Stauffer was as steady as they come, but I dont think either were better than Tom Durkin.

Sharp Post

v j stauffer
06-20-2016, 03:27 PM
Now THAT'S funny...thanks for the laugh.

It's Andy's day off. How can you know what your opinion is?

PaceAdvantage
06-20-2016, 03:38 PM
It's Andy's day off. How can you know what your opinion is?Who woke you up?

EMD4ME
06-20-2016, 04:44 PM

Really SHARP POST !!! :ThmbUp:

I too cackled as I read that.

EMD4ME
06-20-2016, 04:46 PM

I smell a TILT of the temper ensuing :D

Halfway kidding....sharp come back Vic! Witty !

dilanesp
06-20-2016, 06:34 PM

Two of the greatest races I ever saw live were called by Marshall Cassidy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJj4zDa5M-E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RSGq-JfMgc

In neither case did I feel at all deprived or starved of excitement just because the race wasn't called by Tom Durkin (or Trevor Denman for that matter).

Indeed, if you really need Tom Durkin as a crutch to enjoy an exciting horse race, I really question your devotion to the sport.

EMD4ME
06-20-2016, 06:38 PM
Two of the greatest races I ever saw live were called by Marshall Cassidy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJj4zDa5M-E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RSGq-JfMgc

In neither case did I feel at all deprived or starved of excitement just because the race wasn't called by Tom Durkin (or Trevor Denman for that matter).

Indeed, if you really need Tom Durkin as a crutch to enjoy an exciting horse race, I really question your devotion to the sport.

It's not that I NEED Tom Durkin as a crutch to enjoy an exciting horse race, it's that ANY other announcer, doesn't do justice TO an exciting horse race IF it's NOT TOM DURKIN.

dilanesp
06-20-2016, 06:41 PM
It's not that I NEED Tom Durkin as a crutch to enjoy an exciting horse race, it's that ANY other announcer, doesn't do justice TO an exciting horse race IF it's NOT TOM DURKIN.

Chic Anderson didn't do justice to the 1973 Belmont?

Trevor Denman didn't do justice to the 2009 Breeders' Cup Classic?

Michael Wrona didn't do justice to the 1996 Arlington Citation Challenge?

Joe Hernandez didn't do justice to the 1940 Santa Anita Handicap?

Larry Collmus didn't do justice to the 2015 Belmont?

EMD4ME
06-20-2016, 06:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igs74jLihPw

Name one, JUST ONE other announcer in the entire WORLD, who can capture the moment of this race LIKE TOM DURKIN did and I'll quit the game.

Go ahead, I dare ya. (No pun intended).

johnhannibalsmith
06-20-2016, 06:45 PM
Kqj2hkbDnyM

EMD4ME
06-20-2016, 06:45 PM

Collmus, Wrona & Denman couldn't hold the guy who's holding Tom Durkin's jock strap.

I don't know who Joe Hernandes is as I was born in 1976, so sorry about that.

Durkin gives goosepumps. Denman is the guy with the "I'm scratching the blackboard with my 3 weeks of uncut nails voice".

Wrona is a weak product of Denman, enough said.

Collmus is a screamer with little of "IT".

You can't teach "IT".

Tom Durkin not only had "IT".

He created "IT".

He is the definition of "IT".

When you think of "IT", TOM DURKIN comes to mind.

You obviously don't get "IT"

EMD4ME
06-20-2016, 06:47 PM
Kqj2hkbDnyM

As things get heated, thank you JHB for letting some air into the room :D :D :D :D

whodoyoulike
06-20-2016, 06:52 PM

I know you're on the other coast (which was your choice) but, did you have the good fortune to hear a good number of his calls instead of maybe just a few because he was / is very good. I actually don't understand those that have criticized him other than they probably really don't know what a good and excellent race caller is supposed to do when calling a race. Durkin was good but I only heard him a couple hundred times. Stauffer and Denman with one following each other at different tracks was the best at least for me.

Tall One
06-20-2016, 07:04 PM

Lighten up Francis.

Not that i need to explain anything to you, but I've been going to the races at Keeneland regularly since 1983, so I don't need an announcer PERIOD to enjoy the sport.

djm1959
06-20-2016, 08:21 PM
howard oil - the king of monticello since 1984!!!!

AlBundy33
06-20-2016, 11:02 PM
Like I've always said, Durkin is #1 and there is no #2.

Not to knock Collmus, who is good, but a little too bland for my taste when it comes to replacing Tom Durkin. Which is virtually impossible.

I'm surprised that John G. Dooley didn't get the NYRA job actually, since NYRA was basically home to him and Collmus just got the Churchill job replacing Mark Johnson. Even a stranger one to me is Robert Geller taking over for Dan Loiselle at Woodbine. Again, Geller is a very good announcer. But to me, Loiselle and Frank Salive on the harness side were Woodbine.

But overall, the vast majority of announcers are good to very good at what they do.

Wickel
06-20-2016, 11:21 PM

Answering in order: Chic's call was bland until the final 3/8ths. Was OK, but should have been spectacular for the occasion.

Other than calling her Zenyatar most of the race, Denman's call was decent, Wrona's always a disaster. The problem with this duo is that you can't understand them half the time, especially Wrona with his his wild metaphors.

I've heard clips of Hernandez, but he's quite a bit down any list.

Collmus is a screamer, but he's decent and improving.

Final analysis: There's Tom Durkin at the top, then there are the others.

Zaf
06-20-2016, 11:22 PM
howard oil - the king of monticello since 1984!!!!

I remember him back in the days of Roosevelt Raceway, practicing a few minutes before the race in the Grandstand, he would call the race looking at his program. A crowd would gather around in a circle around him. No surprise he went on to a long career as a race caller.

Z

PhantomOnTour
06-20-2016, 11:28 PM
Collmus, Wrona & Denman couldn't hold the guy who's holding Tom Durkin's jock strap.

I don't know who Joe Hernandes is as I was born in 1976, so sorry about that.

Durkin gives goosepumps. Denman is the guy with the "I'm scratching the blackboard with my 3 weeks of uncut nails voice".

Wrona is a weak product of Denman, enough said.

Collmus is a screamer with little of "IT".

You can't teach "IT".

Tom Durkin not only had "IT".

He created "IT".

He is the definition of "IT".

When you think of "IT", TOM DURKIN comes to mind.

You obviously don't get "IT"
Funny - I thought Durkin always emulated Cassidy a bit.
Anyone who has heard the call of the 1989 Belmont will know what I mean.
In mid stretch Cassidy says in a low and different voice, "Sunday Silence remains in 2nd"...I've heard Durkin copy that many times.

That call is my favorite of all time

EMD4ME
06-20-2016, 11:31 PM
In mid stretch Cassidy says in a low and different voice, "Sunday Silence remains in 2nd"...I've heard Durkin copy that many times.

I vividly remember that uncharacteristic amazing/outlandish out of body experience for Marshall :lol:

PhantomOnTour
06-20-2016, 11:36 PM
I vividly remember that uncharacteristic amazing/outlandish out of body experience for Marshall :lol:
Durkin did it often...dropping and changing his voice

And by the way, I agree with you...the lady at Golden Gate is not good.
Period - there's just no defending her.

Zaf
06-20-2016, 11:57 PM
Since we are talking race callers, what did you guys think of the Royal Ascot caller ? I thought his calls were pretty good. :ThmbUp:

Z

EMD4ME
06-21-2016, 01:03 AM
Durkin did it often...dropping and changing his voice

And by the way, I agree with you...the lady at Golden Gate is not good.
Period - there's just no defending her.

I don't know Phantom. My gut can't sit here and believe the super talented had to copy Marshall in his fluctuation of voice.

That's like saying I copied you as someone watches me breathe. We all breathe, we all (except for the guy from the red eyes commercial) fluctuate our tone.

For Marshall, that was out of character and an indication of something awesome/disappointing for some was happening.

For Tom, it was race calling 101.

At least IMHO.

dilanesp
06-21-2016, 12:14 PM

A lot of people out here (i.e., Sunday Silence fans) liked that call. It even got written about in the local newspapers.

"New York's Easy Goer in front!" was absolutely perfect, really, given the entire context of the race and the rivalry.

PaceAdvantage
06-22-2016, 03:07 PM
I know you're on the other coast (which was your choice) but, did you have the good fortune to hear a good number of his calls instead of maybe just a few because he was / is very good. I actually don't understand those that have criticized him other than they probably really don't know what a good and excellent race caller is supposed to do when calling a race. Durkin was good but I only heard him a couple hundred times. Stauffer and Denman with one following each other at different tracks was the best at least for me.I have never once said Vic wasn't a very good announcer. I always liked him as an announcer.

And do you know WHY I like him as an announcer? Because it's quite obvious that Durkin influences him.

So for someone to say Stauffer is better than Durkin, it made me laugh because I considered Vic to be sort of a west-coast clone of Durkin. Again, not a criticism. But definitely not better.

I doubt very much even Vic himself would ever claim to be a better announcer than Durkin. He's not that misguided... :lol:

whodoyoulike
06-22-2016, 03:38 PM
PA, okay I now see where you're coming from. I misinterpreted your response. Again, the number of Durkin's calls I've heard were only a fraction of the other two I previously mentioned.

v j stauffer
06-23-2016, 04:51 AM
I have never once said Vic wasn't a very good announcer. I always liked him as an announcer.

And do you know WHY I like him as an announcer? Because it's quite obvious that Durkin influences him.

So for someone to say Stauffer is better than Durkin, it made me laugh because I considered Vic to be sort of a west-coast clone of Durkin. Again, not a criticism. But definitely not better.

I doubt very much even Vic himself would ever claim to be a better announcer than Durkin. He's not that misguided... :lol:

Someone once said to me I sounded a bit like Tom. I explained it was because I wasn't good enough to sound EXACTLY like him.

Secondly, one should never underestimate how misguided I am.

ebcorde
06-23-2016, 07:11 AM

At least we finally got off the topic of this young girl.

This post is funny PA.

Parkview_Pirate
06-25-2016, 06:36 PM
I don't see a press release on SA's web site, but if my ears aren't fooling me, Ms. Hermann is now doing the color commentary for SA along with Millie Ball(?).

So, for you fans, turn up the volume on SA.....

Parkview_Pirate
06-25-2016, 06:54 PM
I don't see a press release on SA's web site, but if my ears aren't fooling me, Ms. Hermann is now doing the color commentary for SA along with Millie Ball(?).

So, for you fans, turn up the volume on SA.....

D'oh! Just saw their late pick 4 picks. Looks like Zoe Cadman is the other 'capper. I can't recall the name of the gal who was on there previously.

dilanesp
06-25-2016, 09:17 PM
D'oh! Just saw their late pick 4 picks. Looks like Zoe Cadman is the other 'capper. I can't recall the name of the gal who was on there previously.

Yeah it's Zoe and Angela. I chatted with Angela today at the track and saw her at work. She uses very few notes; almost everything she says about the horses is from memory. It's very impressive.

cj
09-03-2016, 09:12 PM
I think she has improved a lot this meet.

chenoa
09-03-2016, 09:20 PM
If you only LISTEN your ok.
If you WATCH and mute your ok.
If you LISTEN and WATCH, your head will spin!!! :lol: :lol:

Tom
09-03-2016, 11:07 PM
Actually, she is much improved.
Better than a good deal of long timers out there.