PDA

View Full Version : Popovich

Neumeier
04-30-2016, 10:34 PM
I'm one of those people that thinks coaches don't matter that much

Except in the case of Greg Popovich. If you look at the Spurs/Thunder lineups side by side it's probably even. You could even give the nod to the Thunder on talent alone.

It is amazing that Greg Popovich has this team so ready. The fact that they are up 40 on Westbrook, Durant and company is unbelievable. This is one of those instances where I think coaching is a huge part of a teams success.

Stillriledup
04-30-2016, 11:58 PM
its not coaching that gets pop to the promised land, its something else.

i'll share that with you guys one day.

or later tonight. ;)

cj
05-01-2016, 12:39 AM
Pop is a great coach, but people get carried away. He didn't get a team to trade him Leonard for George Hill or get LA to take less money to play for the Spurs (maybe he helped). You still have to have the horses. It is the whole organization.

Stillriledup
05-01-2016, 05:02 AM
its not coaching that gets pop to the promised land, its something else.

i'll share that with you guys one day.

or later tonight. ;)

While Pop is great at many things, his biggest strengths are certain philosophies on what wins basketball games and how to assemble a TEAM and get specific players who fit into that puzzle. Anyone can acquire a bunch of Carmelo Anthonies and Dwight Howards, but if those guys don't fit into a specific role and a specific piece in the puzzle, their 'talent' doesn't matter. Players in the NBA are all good, even the crappiest ones are real players who can perform at a pretty high level if put in a specific position to succeed, Pop is the best at getting the right guy for the right situation. He also 'gets' that rest is pretty important, he's a big 'rest guy' and the Spurs always seem to have 'legs' for the stretch run, his players are 'fresh' and that's huge.

cj
05-01-2016, 10:55 AM
While Pop is great at many things, his biggest strengths are certain philosophies on what wins basketball games and how to assemble a TEAM and get specific players who fit into that puzzle. Anyone can acquire a bunch of Carmelo Anthonies and Dwight Howards, but if those guys don't fit into a specific role and a specific piece in the puzzle, their 'talent' doesn't matter. Players in the NBA are all good, even the crappiest ones are real players who can perform at a pretty high level if put in a specific position to succeed, Pop is the best at getting the right guy for the right situation. He also 'gets' that rest is pretty important, he's a big 'rest guy' and the Spurs always seem to have 'legs' for the stretch run, his players are 'fresh' and that's huge.

I buy it all but the rest part. I think that is way overblown. Nobody mentioned how great rest was when they were booted out of the playoffs in the first round by Memphis and the Clippers.

tophatmert
05-01-2016, 12:34 PM
Pop is a great coach, but people get carried away. He didn't get a team to trade him Leonard for George Hill or get LA to take less money to play for the Spurs (maybe he helped). You still have to have the horses. It is the whole organization.
Getting great and very good players to take less minutes and receive less personal accolades is not easily done. It may take a few more years for people to realize how good Kawhi Leonard is because everything is kept in the team concept there. I think the established players tend to trust the newcomers more than in other organizations. Petty b.s. rarely a problem in SA.

Robert Fischer
05-02-2016, 01:09 PM
popovich and staff are at the top of the league

ron adams is probably the best basketball coach in the NBA, but he's not as established, and @ 68 and has to have a guy like steve kerr be the 'face'

Secondbest
05-02-2016, 02:13 PM
It helps to have one of the best players ever in Tim Duncan not to mention Tony Parker and Ginobli.All unselfish Team guys not Prima Donnas like a lot of the NBA

MutuelClerk
05-02-2016, 02:38 PM
Rarely watch hoops anymore. Best thing I like about Pops is the interviews. He can really mess with the media. That's never a bad thing.

Valuist
05-02-2016, 02:55 PM
It helps to have one of the best players ever in Tim Duncan not to mention Tony Parker and Ginobli.All unselfish Team guys not Prima Donnas like a lot of the NBA

Bingo. And like SRU said, no Carmelos or Dwight Howards on the Spurs. They are unselfish and play smart. But so do the Warriors so it should be a great Western Finals.

cj
05-02-2016, 03:22 PM

While true, they aren't even that important right now. The main cogs are Aldridge and Leonard. The big 3 are just role guys now.