PDA

View Full Version : Vice President

_______
04-29-2016, 04:45 PM
There has been some discussion here about how the parties pick their presidential nominee. Much of it was focused on how insiders (loyal party activists) had too much control of the process.

What about Vice President? As we sit here furiously typing away, meetings are going on in Manhattan and DC where small groups of lawyers are vetting candidates that will ultimately be anointed by exactly one voter.

Given the handwringing over the alleged unfairness of how semi-private entities pick their candidates, should we be concerned that those candidates get to pick an emergency successor with no voter input?

Just asking the "process is undemocratic" crowd.

Clocker
04-29-2016, 05:19 PM
Other than in the unlikely event that a president dies in office, how is the VP any different than any other cabinet post or high level adviser? Who the hail vetted, let alone elected, Rahm Emanuel or Valerie Jarrett?

ArlJim78
04-29-2016, 05:24 PM
I'd like to know your position.
Should we be concerned?

_______
04-29-2016, 05:36 PM
I'd like to know your position.
Should we be concerned?

I don't think so.

But I wasn't beating the "unfair" drum two weeks ago when Cruz was picking up delegates thanks to the utter incompetence of Trump's organization.

_______
04-29-2016, 05:45 PM
Other than in the unlikely event that a president dies in office, how is the VP any different than any other cabinet post or high level adviser? Who the hail vetted, let alone elected, Rahm Emanuel or Valerie Jarrett?

It's an elected office. It's a hybrid executive/legislative position thanks to it's constitutional position as President of the Senate. It's actually mentioned in the constitution unlike other cabinet positions.

Outside of that, it's occupant is often assumed to be heir apparent even when the President completes his term.

Clocker
04-29-2016, 05:56 PM
It's actually mentioned in the constitution unlike other cabinet positions.

There is nothing in the Constitution as to how presidential candidates are chosen. Why should the VP position be any different?

_______
04-29-2016, 06:28 PM
There is nothing in the Constitution as to how presidential candidates are chosen. Why should the VP position be any different?

There is quite a bit about how the president is elected (undemocraticaly apparently since it requires the use of indirect electors in the electoral college).

I don't think I'm actually arguing with you since I never heard anything from you about how unfair the system that is about to nominate Trump was.

Obviously the nomination process developed with political parties in the 19th century and isn't mentioned in the constitution.

I'm just trolling the Trumpeters and their very narrow definition of democracy which seems to evaporate as soon as things turn toward their favored emperor.

reckless
04-29-2016, 06:53 PM
There is quite a bit about how the president is elected (undemocraticaly apparently since it requires the use of indirect electors in the electoral college).

I don't think I'm actually arguing with you since I never heard anything from you about how unfair the system that is about to nominate Trump was.

Obviously the nomination process developed with political parties in the 19th century and isn't mentioned in the constitution.

I'm just trolling the Trumpeters and their very narrow definition of democracy which seems to evaporate as soon as things turn toward their favored emperor.

Yes, we 'Trumpsters' know absolutely nothing about everything.

Yet Democrats believed in, supported and accepted Bill Clinton despite Bubba getting impeached for committing perjury.

I remember the same Democrat trolls defending Clinton's numerous rapes and sexual assaults, and his immoral sex-abuse of a White House intern. Clinton's illegal and deviant conduct was OK to Democrats and liberals because 'Clinton was good at his job'.

Yeah, Don.... let's not have a day go by without reminding everyone on just how stupid people are for being Trump supporters.

Clocker
04-29-2016, 07:01 PM

"Fair" is an opinion, like libs talking about paying a fair share of taxes. The party system is a mess, so I don't know how to make it a fair mess.

The rules are the rules and were known in advance. If you want to play the game, you have to know how to game the rules. Given his support, Trump should have done a lot better by now in delegates. I don't remember anyone else in recent elections whining about the rules. Trump seems to think that he deserves the nomination by virtue of being Trump.

_______
04-29-2016, 07:02 PM

Yet Democrats believed in, supported and accepted Bill Clinton despite Bubba getting impeached for committing perjury.

I remember the same Democrat trolls defending Clinton's numerous rapes and sexual assaults, and his immoral sex-abuse of a White House intern. Clinton's illegal and deviant conduct was OK to Democrats and liberals because 'Clinton was good at his job'.

Yeah, Don.... let's not have a day go by without reminding everyone on just how stupid people are for being Trump supporters.

I'm not going to defend the Clinton's. But I'm also not going to get derailed by distractions that ignore the discussion.

I haven't called anyone stupid. I've implied they are inconsistent and hypocritical.

You were one of the primary people screaming about how undemocratic the nomination process was (before New York when the conversation suddenly ended). Do you want to defend the way a single person (or very small group) gets to choose a constitutional officer or were your complaints before New York entirely conditional on the results being not what you wanted?

_______
04-29-2016, 07:06 PM
"Fair" is an opinion, like libs talking about paying a fair share of taxes. The party system is a mess, so I don't know how to make it a fair mess.

The rules are the rules and were known in advance. If you want to play the game, you have to know how to game the rules. Given his support, Trump should have done a lot better by now in delegates. I don't remember anyone else in recent elections whining about the rules. Trump seems to think that he deserves the nomination by virtue of being Trump.

I don't think we disagree at all on the subject. I just think it's funny that two weeks ago this place was littered with posts about how unfair the system was and today you can't find anyone who disagrees that Hillary or Donald should get to pick the person next in line with absolutely no voter input.

Clocker
04-29-2016, 07:06 PM

The founders did not trust the democratic process. That is why they instituted the electoral system, and why Senators were not originally elected by popular vote. Ah, the good old days.

Clocker
04-29-2016, 07:14 PM

The losers complain and the winners say deal the cards. :cool:

reckless
04-29-2016, 07:39 PM
I'm not going to defend the Clinton's. But I'm also not going to get derailed by distractions that ignore the discussion.

I haven't called anyone stupid. I've implied they are inconsistent and hypocritical.

You were one of the primary people screaming about how undemocratic the nomination process was (before New York when the conversation suddenly ended). Do you want to defend the way a single person (or very small group) gets to choose a constitutional officer or were your complaints before New York entirely conditional on the results being not what you wanted?

I really can't recall specifically what you mean about what I did pertaining to complaints before New York. I do know that I 'defended' Trump's candidacy, reasons for his successes, etc., right up to the last post I sent yesterday, way more convincing, more cogent, more correct and more consistent than what many of the anti-Trump people said when they were attacking him daily.

I never used the term unfair, but I did say if the GOP played procedural games (like rule changes made at the convention to stop Trump) then all hell will break loose. Other than that, if you can be more specific, then I will reply to that more specifically.

Calling Trump a clown, making fun of his hair, or simply saying he is in it just to do another TV show or write a book, doesn't give anyone any credibility in the political discussion department. And there were many of those kind of attacks coming from the other side on here.

BUT, now that Trump is on his way now to the GOP nomination, the attacks have been targeted at his followers and supporters: first calling us racists, zenophobes, nativists... and now calling us stupid, narcissists and whiners.

fast4522
04-29-2016, 08:09 PM
Vice President: from thread beginning.

At this point I see him possibly tapping Chris Christie for VP. I could be wrong but I think they actually like each other, and have done the dinner thing several times and the wives get along. I do not see the upside but think Donald J.Trump is more shrewd than he is credited for. All the other crap talked about here is just that, crap. I have no doubt that he loves his country and his family, and is in no way shape or form a commie.

_______
04-29-2016, 08:25 PM
I really can't recall specifically what you mean about what I did pertaining to complaints before New York. I do know that I 'defended' Trump's candidacy, reasons for his successes, etc., right up to the last post I sent yesterday, way more convincing, more cogent, more correct and more consistent than what many of the anti-Trump people said when they were attacking him daily.

I never used the term unfair, but I did say if the GOP played procedural games (like rule changes made at the convention to stop Trump) then all hell will break loose. Other than that, if you can be more specific, then I will reply to that more specifically.

Calling Trump a clown, making fun of his hair, or simply saying he is in it just to do another TV show or write a book, doesn't give anyone any credibility in the political discussion department. And there were many of those kind of attacks coming from the other side on here.

BUT, now that Trump is on his way now to the GOP nomination, the attacks have been targeted at his followers and supporters: first calling us racists, zenophobes, nativists... and now calling us stupid, narcissists and whiners.

reckless-

You are correct and I apologize for categorizing you as one who led the charge on the pre-New York "unfairness". You commented that if given the chance, the GOP would screw him out of the nomination but nothing more than that.

In my defense, I have tried to keep my criticism's of Trump to his electibility, something you and I won't agree on. I have cited him for misogyny, nativism, and an authoritarian streak as reasons he is unelectable. I understand that can feel like name calling to his supporters but I don't pretend to know what is in any other posters heart (outside of lambo when he is just making stuff up).

We aren't going to agree on this but I hope we remain on friendly terms regardless of what happens in November.

barahona44
04-29-2016, 08:33 PM
And the winners also get to write the history books.

reckless
04-30-2016, 01:05 AM
reckless-

You are correct and I apologize for categorizing you as one who led the charge on the pre-New York "unfairness". You commented that if given the chance, the GOP would screw him out of the nomination but nothing more than that.

In my defense, I have tried to keep my criticism's of Trump to his electibility, something you and I won't agree on. I have cited him for misogyny, nativism, and an authoritarian streak as reasons he is unelectable. I understand that can feel like name calling to his supporters but I don't pretend to know what is in any other posters heart (outside of lambo when he is just making stuff up).

We aren't going to agree on this but I hope we remain on friendly terms regardless of what happens in November.

I never thought we were on unfriendly terms. I do have a fault in that I 'need' to set the record straight all the time. :)

Regardless of the outcome I truly think this is the greatest US political story of all-time since the 1800 election.

mostpost
04-30-2016, 02:13 AM

He was impeached. He was not convicted. It's like if the police accuse a person of a crime and he goes to trial. If the jury finds him innocent, he is innocent. As far as the law is concerned, he did not do the crime.

Monica Lewinsky has said many times that she was a willing participant. Her only complaint was that she felt she was being treated unfairly in the aftermath of the affair.

Who's Don? Is that _____________? Anyway, Trump supporters do a fine job convincing us they are stupid all on their own.

TJDave
04-30-2016, 03:22 AM
At this point I see him possibly tapping Chris Christie for VP.

I wouldn't vote for anyone who would support, as his replacement, someone who was obese.

Chris Christie's lifestyle makes him unfit as a presidential candidate.

rastajenk
04-30-2016, 07:07 AM
I don't remember anyone else in recent elections whining about the rules. Most election years, the "turn system" makes it a foregone conclusion by this time in the process.

fast4522
04-30-2016, 07:49 AM
I wouldn't vote for anyone who would support, as his replacement, someone who was obese.

Chris Christie's lifestyle makes him unfit as a presidential candidate.

Nobody cares what a liberal says, it is only a distraction in a blog. Moreover nobody cares who is on the bottom of the ticket, as "Cactus Jack" says "not worth a bucket of warm piss".

Tom
04-30-2016, 08:53 AM

The whole primary/convention process has NOTHING to do with democracy. It is the business of the parties to conduct as they wish.

As members of those parties, anyone has the right to call them out and demand rules changes at any point.

btw. those riots at the Trump rally sure do show trump is 100% correct about not only the wall, but deportation as well. When street thugs riot and fly foreign flags on our streets, it is time for ALL of them to go back home, not matter how many, no matter what families are broken apart. I was opposed to deportation before, but now, I am 100% behind it and 100% behind using our armed forced to extract payment from Mexico for the operation, by whatever it takes. I have long maintained Mexico is an enemy. It is now pretty obvious.

Tom
04-30-2016, 08:59 AM

While citizens say enough of this back room bullcrap - let's have REAL elections.
How anyone can watch this whole super delegate thing wipe out millions votes on both sides can call this process legitimate.

Memorable parities

Nazis
Communists

Anyone want to defend processes?
Or just say deal the card?

davew
04-30-2016, 09:00 AM
There has been some discussion here about how the parties pick their presidential nominee. Much of it was focused on how insiders (loyal party activists) had too much control of the process.

What about Vice President? As we sit here furiously typing away, meetings are going on in Manhattan and DC where small groups of lawyers are vetting candidates that will ultimately be anointed by exactly one voter.

Given the handwringing over the alleged unfairness of how semi-private entities pick their candidates, should we be concerned that those candidates get to pick an emergency successor with no voter input?

Just asking the "process is undemocratic" crowd.

We are voting for a team. The vice president is just another player on that team. Who knows, we may get the most transparent, racist administration in the history of the country.

Tom
04-30-2016, 09:03 AM
Who's Don? Is that _____________? Anyway, Trump supporters do a fine job convincing us they are stupid all on their own.

They are not stupid - we use YOU as the barometer for stuff like that. None of them have come close to the standards YOU have set here for total ignorance.

BTW, I guess YOU think those useless street thugs rioting in San Francisco this week were rhodes scholars?

Clocker
04-30-2016, 10:23 AM
Monica Lewinsky has said many times that she was a willing participant. Her only complaint was that she felt she was being treated unfairly in the aftermath of the affair.

Clinton's behavior with Monica and many others would at the very least be considered sexual harassment and abuse of power in any other situation, and would be cause for dismissal from any private sector position. His treatment of women goes against any civilized moral standard in our society.

If you want to nitpick, her consent and her age at the time only mean that Clinton's actions were not criminal. They were disgusting and immoral. Those things are of course meaningless to the Clintons. Hillary is equally repugnant and hypocritical for enabling Bill and for defending him and for blaming the women and the Republicans and anyone else in the world for the problems.

Clocker
04-30-2016, 10:30 AM
They are not stupid - we use YOU as the barometer for stuff like that. None of them have come close to the standards YOU have set here for total ignorance.

BTW, I guess YOU think those useless street thugs rioting in San Francisco this week were rhodes scholars?

Must be true. Trump says so. :D

"We want to be smart again. We’re not smart anymore, folks," he said. "We don’t win anymore but we’re not smart anymore. So we call it the smart movement, and that’s what I want to have.”
Read more: http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-gop-primary-live-updates-and-results/2016/04/trump-dubs-campaign-the-smart-movement-222591#ixzz47JuvhxBR (http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-gop-primary-live-updates-and-results/2016/04/trump-dubs-campaign-the-smart-movement-222591#ixzz47JuvhxBR)

Clocker
04-30-2016, 11:36 AM
Hillary says she can deal with men who stray off the reservation. :D

Democratic presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton says she has experience dealing with men who “get off the reservation” like GOP front-runner Donald Trump.

“I have a lot of experience dealing with men who sometimes get off the reservation in the way they behave and how they speak,” Clinton told CNN Friday.

Right. That's why Bill is the model husband. :rolleyes:

Tom
04-30-2016, 12:17 PM
Yes, she makes up lies about a vast right-wing conspiracy to cover up her perverted pig of a husband.

Has there ever been a couple more anti-women than these two perverted, serial liars? Two disgusting excuses of human beings.

Rookies
05-01-2016, 10:51 AM
Two disgusting excuses of human beings.

Here's another from a far worse dimension than the two ladies...

The Ex Speaker of the House! :mad:

How come that serial child predator & sexual abuser is still alive? :mad: x :10:

Tom
05-01-2016, 03:27 PM
I realize Canada is in the twentieth century, as you said, but try to get up to today's topics of relevance.

fast4522
05-01-2016, 04:41 PM
I realize Canada is in the twentieth century, as you said, but try to get up to today's topics of relevance.

He can not help it, Canada looks to be in the slow growth mode for a long time. Where he fails to see is if our growth starts chugging in the 5,6 or 7 range because we get off this rotten road we are on by a better business environment Canada will benefit.

horses4courses
05-01-2016, 10:16 PM
Similar characters, abundant fine taste and class.
Seems like a match made in heaven, no?
Woooooooo.............

iy-LQH8N6Ug

Clocker
05-01-2016, 10:40 PM
Flair, Biden, wouldn't be much of a change.

PaceAdvantage
05-02-2016, 04:17 PM

Chris Christie's lifestyle makes him unfit as a presidential candidate.Reminds me of the ol' "You can't vote for John McCain because he's gonna die soon...."

Ooops....

BTW, how long before comments like yours become the equivalent of calling someone a racial slur?

His body, his choice! Would you be kind to someone who says they wouldn't vote for a woman who has had an abortion?

Or how about someone who was gay? You know, the whole "lifestyle" thing...

Funny how people can get away with being biased against fat people. But being biased against almost any other form of human physical trait is SOOOOOO politically incorrect.

Saratoga_Mike
05-02-2016, 05:39 PM
Reminds me of the ol' "You can't vote for John McCain because he's gonna die soon...."

Ooops....

BTW, how long before comments like yours become the equivalent of calling someone a racial slur?

His body, his choice!

Going back to JFK (perhaps earlier, I don't know), a presidential candidate's health was fair game. I don't think CC is old enough where his weight is a real issue, but it seems like fair game. I certainly don't think he should be called childish names or anything like that of course. I also think John McCain's age was fair game....ditto on Sanders.

horses4courses
05-02-2016, 08:18 PM

Ummm....I'd have said we were way past that point already.
Of course, I'm considered too sensitive around here on these matters. :rolleyes:

Tom
05-02-2016, 08:48 PM
Flair, Biden, wouldn't be much of a change.

Flair was a winner. And more bee-lee-vable. :D

Tom
05-02-2016, 08:51 PM
God help us some gimp ever got past vetting and became president.
What could some cripple in a wheelchair do as president? :rolleyes:

Frank
Discussion
Really

fast4522
05-02-2016, 09:00 PM
God help us some gimp ever got past vetting and became president.
What could some cripple in a wheelchair do as president? :rolleyes:

Frank
Discussion
Really

That was a different time and could not be pulled off today, like who has not seen Carly Fiorina falling down at the Cruz intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvppFZB0v2c

Tom
05-02-2016, 09:04 PM
That was a different time and could not be pulled off today, like who has not seen Carly Fiorina falling down at the Cruz intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvppFZB0v2c
She reminded me of Chevy Chase doing Ford! :lol:

fast4522
05-02-2016, 09:21 PM
I like the lady, but think she is like Chris Christie. Seriously more think she fired way more employees and then replaced them low cost. They are both sinkers Carly and Chris, lets see how it all plays out.

barahona44
05-02-2016, 09:59 PM
I like the lady, but think she is like Chris Christie. Seriously more think she fired way more employees and then replaced them low cost. They are both sinkers Carly and Chris, lets see how it all plays out.
First, last and only obligation of a CEO is to the company's shareholders.

Everything and everybody else is secondary.

But of course, people like that are quite vulnerable when running for public office, where your first, last and only obligations are to the citizens. (Well, at least in theory)

And the Democrats be sharpening their knives for this election cycle.

Saratoga_Mike
05-20-2016, 08:47 AM
Reminds me of the ol' "You can't vote for John McCain because he's gonna die soon...."

Ooops....

His body, his choice! Would you be kind to someone who says they wouldn't vote for a woman who has had an abortion?

Or how about someone who was gay? You know, the whole "lifestyle" thing...

Funny how people can get away with being biased against fat people. But being biased against almost any other form of human physical trait is SOOOOOO politically incorrect.

http://www.thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/280639-trump-mocks-chris-christies-weight-while-headlining-the-governors-event

Trump mocks Christie's weight at fundraiser: 'No more Oreos'

tucker6
05-20-2016, 08:51 AM
Similar characters, abundant fine taste and class.
Seems like a match made in heaven, no?
Woooooooo.............

iy-LQH8N6Ug
Did Flair commit treason like the democratic nominee did? I would think anyone is more qualified that that. But as Hillary would say, "who cares at this point?"

PaceAdvantage
05-20-2016, 02:35 PM
http://www.thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/280639-trump-mocks-chris-christies-weight-while-headlining-the-governors-event

Trump mocks Christie's weight at fundraiser: 'No more Oreos'
At least he can't be accused of only making weight comments toward women...

Saratoga_Mike
05-20-2016, 03:18 PM
True, I bet he didn't even think of that angle ... yet.