PDA

View Full Version : Ron Hansen

Valuist
04-29-2016, 01:21 AM
I remember this rider coming to Chicago to ride a year or two, mainly at the old Sportsman's in the late 80s. He was good. I vaguely remember hearing something happened to him. There was a lot I wasn't aware of. This guy was Antley before Antley. Or Michael Baze before he was around.

http://www.thoroughbred-world.com/artman/publish/printer_2068.shtml

barn32
04-29-2016, 04:52 AM
I remember this rider coming to Chicago to ride a year or two, mainly at the old Sportsman's in the late 80s. He was good. I vaguely remember hearing something happened to him. There was a lot I wasn't aware of. This guy was Antley before Antley. Or Michael Baze before he was around.

http://www.thoroughbred-world.com/artman/publish/printer_2068.shtmlHe used to ride at Longacres. He was very good. I'm going from memory, but I think he was a drug addict and was found dead somewhere in California under mysterious circumstances.

Kash$
04-29-2016, 06:49 AM

http://www.thoroughbred-world.com/artman/publish/printer_2068.shtml

Andy Asaro a former poster knew Richie Sklar.

kevb
04-29-2016, 07:38 AM
I remember a route race at Golden Gate Fields where he was riding and there was another horse running for a trainer that Hansen didn't like for some reason. This trainer's horse was the favorite and figured to lone speed, but Hansen didn't figure it that way. Hansen was whipping and sticking out of the gate to run along side of the other horse, and as I later was told he was whistling and yelling in the other horse's ear. They ended up running the half in about 44 and change, and both faded to last. After the race, the trainer was really in Hansen's face and Ronnie was just laughing.

DSB
04-29-2016, 08:48 AM
As a bettor, I was always thrilled when horsemen would settle their differences on the racetrack using my money....

jballscalls
04-29-2016, 09:29 AM
Ron Hansen is kind of a legend up here in the NW. I remember Dennis Dodge from the DRF telling me Hansen's ride on Bolulight in the 1992 Mile was the best ride he's ever seen.

I've talked to at least 20 people about how Hansen died and gotten a few different answers/theories. The most common one was "mob" types tossed him off the bridge. Some say suicide. One person even said he slipped. I will say each person I talked to spoke highly of him as a rider and a person.

Valuist
04-29-2016, 10:11 AM
After he rode a meet at Sportsman's he went to Canterbury. The riding colony there at the time included Mike Smith, Sandy Hawley and Hansen. Hansen had no trouble adapting to the sharp turns at the old Sportsman's. But he was involved in everything; not just drugs and booze but race fixing. But the details on the death still seem pretty sketchy.

I heard one theory on his death that another rider was actually in another car chasing him when he crashed on the San Mateo Bridge.

reckless
04-29-2016, 10:27 AM
I do believe that Ron Hansen rode the winner of the very first race at Canterbury. He also preceded Russell Baze as Jerry Hollendorfer's first call and go-to rider.

chadk66
04-29-2016, 10:32 AM
Also rode at Cby the first couple years.

v j stauffer
04-29-2016, 12:09 PM
30 or so years ago Hansen and Jack Kaenel were both riding at the Nor. Cal. Fairs. There was a clerk of scales that would sometimes look the other way if guys were struggling to make weight.

Hansen and Cowboy Jack made a bet. Who could win a race weighing the MOST.

Hansen won 139 to 138.

Stillriledup
04-29-2016, 12:23 PM
30 or so years ago Hansen and Jack Kaenel were both riding at the Nor. Cal. Fairs. There was a clerk of scales that would sometimes look the other way if guys were struggling to make weight.

Hansen won 139 to 138.

When I watch tapes I'm always looking for the jock who appears bigger than the horse or bigger than other riders. Seems that the jocks who ride a few races a year and rarely win look bigger than actual jocks, but you know, that's just me and my eyes, could look different to others.

Valuist
04-29-2016, 12:44 PM
Here he tried to fix a race in a Pic 7, but won anyways.....which cost his group/investors/fixers a cool $1.6 million.

They could do a movie about this guy: Seabiscuit meets Wolf of Wall Street.

dilanesp
04-29-2016, 12:49 PM
Ron Hansen is kind of a legend up here in the NW. I remember Dennis Dodge from the DRF telling me Hansen's ride on Bolulight in the 1992 Mile was the best ride he's ever seen.

I've talked to at least 20 people about how Hansen died and gotten a few different answers/theories. The most common one was "mob" types tossed him off the bridge. Some say suicide. One person even said he slipped. I will say each person I talked to spoke highly of him as a rider and a person.

I saw the Bolulight Ranier (Longacres) Mile. Last one at the old track. Hansen was great.

Ron Hansen and Al Snider- the two most mysterious jockey deaths.

theiman
04-29-2016, 01:11 PM

Hansen won 139 to 138.

So doesnt that disprove any theory by people that weight means something?

dilanesp
04-29-2016, 01:37 PM
So doesnt that disprove any theory by people that weight means something?

Northern California racing sees its share of 2 to 5 shots who could probably win with Vic on their back. :)

Light
04-29-2016, 01:42 PM

Hansen won 139 to 138.

Doesn't make sense. Are you saying they then lost 20 pounds when the BM meet would start immediately after the fairs? "Weight watchers" wants to know.

mountainman
04-29-2016, 07:16 PM
Doesn't make sense. Are you saying they then lost 20 pounds when the BM meet would start immediately after the fairs? "Weight watchers" wants to know.

Jocks can pull wgt crazy fast. And who says the next clerk of scales was by-the-book?