PDA

View Full Version : Social benefits of Racehorse Ownership?

VigorsTheGrey
04-27-2016, 05:40 PM
Are there any financial or social benefits that could result from being an owner/ trainer of only one racehorse....I've heard about most of the negatives already...what are some of the positives?

chadk66
04-27-2016, 06:44 PM
single horse owners get laid alot more easy;)

green80
04-27-2016, 06:55 PM
Are there any financial or social benefits that could result from being an owner/ trainer of only one racehorse....I've heard about most of the negatives already...what are some of the positives?

I have found that if I do the work myself, I spend no more owning 1 horse than I did playing golf or fishing. If you keep your horse at the track or a training center you will interact with exercise riders, trainers and others on a daily basis. You fill find that most don't mind giving a little advice or a helping hand. If you have a decent horse he should earn enough to pay his way or help out on expenses.

AndyC
04-27-2016, 07:17 PM
I have found that if I do the work myself, I spend no more owning 1 horse than I did playing golf or fishing. If you keep your horse at the track or a training center you will interact with exercise riders, trainers and others on a daily basis. You fill find that most don't mind giving a little advice or a helping hand. If you have a decent horse he should earn enough to pay his way or help out on expenses.

You must have played some pretty nice courses.

Tom
04-27-2016, 07:31 PM
Who gives a crap how it benefits society?
Is society helping you pay the bills?

VigorsTheGrey
04-27-2016, 07:41 PM
Who gives a crap how it benefits society?
Is society helping you pay the bills?

I meant social for me not society. It might provide some structure and chums to BS with...you know the male version of what gals do....going to the lodge doesn't interest me...

horses4courses
04-27-2016, 08:06 PM
I meant social for me not society. It might provide some structure and chums to BS with...you know the male version of what gals do....going to the lodge doesn't interest me...

Please excuse the primate.
He only gets out of his cage at cleaning time. :lol:

green80
04-27-2016, 08:16 PM

on the backside,you bring the beer and in no time you will have all the chums you want to BS with. You will also get some insight on who has the hot horse and who has the sore horse.

VigorsTheGrey
04-27-2016, 08:25 PM
on the backside,you bring the beer and in no time you will have all the chums you want to BS with. You will also get some insight on who has the hot horse and who has the sore horse.

You mean the sore horse that the racing sec wanted me to run so the race would fill and the fans could have something to unknowingly bet on?

Big Peps
04-27-2016, 08:40 PM
No there isn't and when you decide to buy, claim or not buy a horse, make sure you have contact and a relationship with the trainer. Too many syndicates and partnerships out there today that love taking your money but whose organizers want to parade around like they bought the horses themselves and send you a weekly email with a picture every so often. If you own the horse you should be involved. Unless of course you don't want to be. Some trainers and syndicates have a tough time with customer relations, which if they ate that good and get away with it, great but most can't.

The social aspects are nonsense as most people don't care about racing or who the owners are

VigorsTheGrey
04-27-2016, 08:52 PM
No there isn't and when you decide to buy, claim or not buy a horse, make sure you have contact and a relationship with the trainer. Too many syndicates and partnerships out there today that love taking your money but whose organizers want to parade around like they bought the horses themselves and send you a weekly email with a picture every so often. If you own the horse you should be involved. Unless of course you don't want to be. Some trainers and syndicates have a tough time with customer relations, which if they ate that good and get away with it, great but most can't.

The social aspects are nonsense as most people don't care about racing or who the owners are

I've always felt racing revolved around the breeding farms being somehow involved in ownership at the highest levels...that the industry operated as a system that self perpetuated certain elite groups in the chain of delivery. Unraveling the parties who truly benefit from racing as a whole....we know who shoulders the burden.

Stoleitbreezing
04-27-2016, 08:55 PM

Being fairly new to partnerships I've been able to learn from other partners about what to expect and how to basically deal with the ups and downs of ownership. One partner in particular, I regularly trade emails about the ongoings with our horse. I'm local and make regular barn visits to talk to the trainer and see the horse working/racing, so I give him first hand updates and what i've learned from our trainer. While he's helped me by answering questions about partnerships or racing and "talked me down" while we went through some deflating news about injuries or results. Its been a very enjoyable experience and I hope he travels one day to catch her at the races.
The other partners who are local, have been friendly to hang out with and chat about the horse.

Our trainer and his wife are always accommodating and willing to speak with me or other partners when we make it out. The first time my wife and I went to the barn to meet the trainer and see our horse we parked far away from the backside and walked the long way to the barn, when the visit was over his wife drove us to our car and told us to stop by the barn anytime. I don't think I would be as happy as I am as an owner if the trainer and his staff weren't as welcoming and nice.

While we haven't had the results we've been wanting to this point, I know she's in good hands and they genuinely care about our horse. This is an important aspect to the experience of ownership because if you don't get the results and the trainer doesn't seem to care or have time then its going to get ugly and you'll probably be turned off from ever doing it again.

Casual fans, coworkers, friends and family are usually very intrigued that I own a percentage of a horse. They always seem enthusiastic to find out how things work or ask about what experiences I've gone through. They usually say "Oh wow! I want to watch her run sometime." Sort of a cool thing because owning all or part of a horse is like owning your own sports franchise. That's not something you can do in any of the major sports.

MONEY
04-27-2016, 10:38 PM
You don't have to own a racehorse in order to make friends at the track.
All you have to do is go early every day & take a seat at a table in the general seating area. If you do this you will get to know the regulars in no time.
Many of them are former/current racehorse owners.

At Sam Houston Race Park they have the Jockey Club. I was a member for a couple of years.
It costs between $1000 & $1,400 a year. The benefits are a free buffet for you and a guest on weekends and free programs for all of the tracks every day.
You also get two seats in the players lounge daily.

Appy
04-28-2016, 12:06 AM
Being fairly new to partnerships I've been able to learn from other partners about what to expect and how to basically deal with the ups and downs of ownership. One partner in particular, I regularly trade emails about the ongoings with our horse. I'm local and make regular barn visits to talk to the trainer and see the horse working/racing, so I give him first hand updates and what i've learned from our trainer. While he's helped me by answering questions about partnerships or racing and "talked me down" while we went through some deflating news about injuries or results. Its been a very enjoyable experience and I hope he travels one day to catch her at the races.
The other partners who are local, have been friendly to hang out with and chat about the horse.

Our trainer and his wife are always accommodating and willing to speak with me or other partners when we make it out. The first time my wife and I went to the barn to meet the trainer and see our horse we parked far away from the backside and walked the long way to the barn, when the visit was over his wife drove us to our car and told us to stop by the barn anytime. I don't think I would be as happy as I am as an owner if the trainer and his staff weren't as welcoming and nice.

While we haven't had the results we've been wanting to this point, I know she's in good hands and they genuinely care about our horse. This is an important aspect to the experience of ownership because if you don't get the results and the trainer doesn't seem to care or have time then its going to get ugly and you'll probably be turned off from ever doing it again.

Casual fans, coworkers, friends and family are usually very intrigued that I own a percentage of a horse. They always seem enthusiastic to find out how things work or ask about what experiences I've gone through. They usually say "Oh wow! I want to watch her run sometime." Sort of a cool thing because owning all or part of a horse is like owning your own sports franchise. That's not something you can do in any of the major sports.

Nice post. You're the kind of owner it's nice to work with. Your analogy to owning your own sports franchise is spot on. I sincerely hope your horse gets you all to the winners circle soon.

Stoleitbreezing
04-28-2016, 07:57 AM
Nice post. You're the kind of owner it's nice to work with. Your analogy to owning your own sports franchise is spot on. I sincerely hope your horse gets you all to the winners circle soon.

Thanks. We're going to find out this afternoon if we break the maiden today. 04/28/16 Hawthorne Racecourse Race #3 Horse :6: GILDED ARGUMENT she's never trained better going into this race, but we likely catch another off track again. Amazing in 5 starts she's never had fast dirt. 2 sloppy, 1 muddy, 1 yielding turf, and 1 polytrack start. Despite this I still think we have a good chance to win. She just missed in her last start with this jockey and with a nice trip today we should be right there.

FrankieFigs
04-28-2016, 08:08 AM
single horse owners get laid alot more easy;)

:lol: :lol:

green80
04-28-2016, 08:16 AM
You mean the sore horse that the racing sec wanted me to run so the race would fill and the fans could have something to unknowingly bet on?

That's the one

bugboy
04-28-2016, 11:29 AM
best of luck today with gilded. Hope you come in first and also have a safe trip.

Appy
04-28-2016, 01:56 PM
Thanks. We're going to find out this afternoon if we break the maiden today. 04/28/16 Hawthorne Racecourse Race #3 Horse :6: GILDED ARGUMENT she's never trained better going into this race, but we likely catch another off track again. Amazing in 5 starts she's never had fast dirt. 2 sloppy, 1 muddy, 1 yielding turf, and 1 polytrack start. Despite this I still think we have a good chance to win. She just missed in her last start with this jockey and with a nice trip today we should be right there.

Outstanding pard. FWIW my software has your horse top pick by 11 lengths...with 42% likelihood of being correct. :) I'm rooting for you.