PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 After the Free date of July 29th

Flysofree
04-25-2016, 07:43 PM
I've come to the conclusion not to do the "free upgrade" since my computer is running fine at the present and it's supported for a few more years.
Does anyone know a ballpark price for the Windows 10 upgrade after it's no longer free ?

_______
04-25-2016, 08:02 PM
The home edition is currently $119 and the pro $199.

I don't want to be responsible for anyone not upgrading before the deadline but there is really no business case for Microsoft to start charging for the upgrade after their self imposed deadline. They want as many users as possible on the new platform.

Charging people still on 7 or 8 works counter to their own interests. I don't think it will happen. But I could be wrong.

Flysofree
04-25-2016, 08:16 PM
Thanks... I think they will without doubt charge after the deadline.
Is there much difference in the Home and Pro version for one that's not technically inclined?

Tom
04-26-2016, 08:34 AM
W10 updates will become a required update, no choice. It has already happened to some.

ThinkingAlways
04-26-2016, 11:36 AM
W10 updates will become a required update, no choice. It has already happened to some.

But there are easy ways to stop it. Google never10 and download a free utility from GRC. Easy. Reversable.

Flysofree
04-26-2016, 01:53 PM

Tom, It's pretty scary. Have you heard the rumor that unless you have some type of protective program on your computer, that on 12:01 AM July 30, 2016 all computers running Windows 7 or Windows 8 WILL be automatically shut down once they connect to the internet. Those wise folks that took advantage of the free Windows 10 will be safe and continue on the internets as normal. :eek:

JimG
04-26-2016, 02:49 PM
Tom, It's pretty scary. Have you heard the rumor that unless you have some type of protective program on your computer, that on 12:01 AM July 30, 2016 all computers running Windows 7 or Windows 8 WILL be automatically shut down once they connect to the internet. Those wise folks that took advantage of the free Windows 10 will be safe and continue on the internets as normal. :eek:

As long as I can get on with XP.

Flysofree
04-26-2016, 03:12 PM

:lol:

PaceAdvantage
04-26-2016, 03:16 PM
Tom, It's pretty scary. Have you heard the rumor that unless you have some type of protective program on your computer, that on 12:01 AM July 30, 2016 all computers running Windows 7 or Windows 8 WILL be automatically shut down once they connect to the internet. Those wise folks that took advantage of the free Windows 10 will be safe and continue on the internets as normal. :eek:False rumor I would think...never happen

Tom
04-26-2016, 04:21 PM

Me too!

Now, question -- is there not the Genuine Windows thing that every so often verified what you are using, and can shut you down if it is not a genuine Windows product? Could they not shut down all the older versions through that door?

I got my taxes back so a Chrome book is on the front burner this week.
Thinking of trying out Neverware first, on an older laptop.

_______
04-26-2016, 04:51 PM
I'm no Microsoft fanboy. I've resisted the upgrade because of the age and capabilities of my Windows machine.

But they have announced dates that support for W7 and W8 will end. They are not going to suddenly disable those platforms on July 29th.

Why would anyone ever buy their product in the future if they set a precedent like that? You need to put yourself in their shoes and ask what makes sense for their business.

This doesn't.

xtb
04-26-2016, 05:00 PM
I'm done with Willyware. Got an SSD and installed Linux, very easy to do and much better.

PaceAdvantage
04-26-2016, 05:13 PM
I'm done with Willyware. Got an SSD and installed Linux, very easy to do and much better.Well, if you're like the 99% of us who like to run the most programs available, Linux really isn't a great option.

Now if you dual boot or whatever, that's a different story.

But to go purely to Linux...not practical.

Flysofree
04-26-2016, 05:50 PM
Would love to know the actual % of users that are taking the free upgrade to Windows 10 are/ will do so before the free date expires. I'm guessing and it's STRICTLY A WILD GUESS somewhere around 50 to 60%... But don't ask me how I came up with that figure. What's your guess? It just seems safer to buy a W10 machine than risk complete turmoil or loss of one's email program (windows Essentials) etc etc..

Longshot6977
04-26-2016, 08:14 PM

I heard you can now get a nasty virus just THINKING about getting a nasty virus or even thinking too hard about upgrading to Windows 10. The hard drive will freeze up and all your files will become corrupted. The PC will shut down before you even have a chance to connect to the internet and will not connect on further attempts. Beware!

Flysofree
04-26-2016, 09:00 PM
I heard you can now get a nasty virus just THINKING about getting a nasty virus or even thinking too hard about upgrading to Windows 10. The hard drive will freeze up and all your files will become corrupted. The PC will shut down before you even have a chance to connect to the internet and will not connect on further attempts. Beware!

Now that one's funnier than my attempt at humor... :lol: But Tom may have the last laugh because I never thought about the Genuine Windows thing... Nah mine is genuine..

From what I've seen of Windows 10, it has too many bells and whistles for me to learn. May consider a Mac... key word "consider"

PaceAdvantage
04-26-2016, 10:46 PM
Seriously...bottom line...Windows 10 is a very good operating system. I've been using it now for a few months, and it really is the best of all worlds, especially if you have a touchscreen. It's the perfect merge of Windows 7 with a much improved Windows 8.

Longshot6977
04-27-2016, 07:42 AM
Seriously...bottom line...Windows 10 is a very good operating system. I've been using it now for a few months, and it really is the best of all worlds, especially if you have a touchscreen. It's the perfect merge of Windows 7 with a much improved Windows 8.

Did you upgrade from Win 7 or Win 8? Any issues you had to work out?

Flysofree
04-27-2016, 08:02 AM

When you use the word "especially if you have a touchscreen", then I am assuming you have a smartphone and are a much younger person than I am. I prefer a mouse...point and click with no use for touching and being certain to touch just the right place on a screen. That's a whole 'nother game that I don't like to play. So it's a matter of judgement. I notice that you can still buy a mouse for even the laptops out there today (not tablets of course).
When Microsoft decided to force Cortana on those that did not want that it says they have left people like me behind. Maybe Apple has also forced some talking device on all their platforms. I don't know. But it's clear Microsoft has moved in that direction....touching and talking, rather than pointing and clicking. Personal preference be damned.

PaceAdvantage
04-27-2016, 09:55 AM
Did you upgrade from Win 7 or Win 8? Any issues you had to work out?No upgrade...bought a Surface Book back in January.

I think I've only upgraded a Windows OS once in my life. I would NEVER upgrade any Windows operating system. It's just bad advice to do so. It's much, much better to start with a clean install.

PaceAdvantage
04-27-2016, 09:57 AM
When you use the word "especially if you have a touchscreen", then I am assuming you have a smartphone and are a much younger person than I am. I prefer a mouse...point and click with no use for touching and being certain to touch just the right place on a screen. That's a whole 'nother game that I don't like to play. So it's a matter of judgement. I notice that you can still buy a mouse for even the laptops out there today (not tablets of course).
When Microsoft decided to force Cortana on those that did not want that it says they have left people like me behind. Maybe Apple has also forced some talking device on all their platforms. I don't know. But it's clear Microsoft has moved in that direction....touching and talking, rather than pointing and clicking. Personal preference be damned.Cortana? I barely ever use it...not sure why Cortana would be a big deal to anyone. Nobody's forced to use it.

As for a touchscreen, I love them. I don't see any reason to use Windows 8 or Windows 10 without one. That's why I only have Windows 8 and Windows 10 on my tablet and Surface Book laptop (which can convert into a tablet). BTW, I bought a mouse for my Surface Book laptop (which has a touchscreen as well). A touchscreen will never replace a mouse for certain applications. That's a given...at least at this point on the technology curve.

Red Knave
04-27-2016, 12:10 PM
Did you upgrade from Win 7 or Win 8? Any issues you had to work out?
I know you didn't ask me but I upgraded my 2012 ASUS laptop from Win7 to 10 with zero problems. Like PA, I have had no issues running it and actually like Win10 better than any other MS O/S (I know, damned with faint praise :) ).

Flysofree
04-27-2016, 01:08 PM
Cortana? I barely ever use it...not sure why Cortana would be a big deal to anyone. Nobody's forced to use it.

As for a touchscreen, I love them. I don't see any reason to use Windows 8 or Windows 10 without one. That's why I only have Windows 8 and Windows 10 on my tablet and Surface Book laptop (which can convert into a tablet). BTW, I bought a mouse for my Surface Book laptop (which has a touchscreen as well). A touchscreen will never replace a mouse for certain applications. That's a given...at least at this point on the technology curve.

I've only had computers with a mouse; both laptop and desktop. I can not think of one single thing that would be easier for ME to do with a touchscreen (unless it said touch here or touch here with large buttons), over a mouse doing the exact same function.
But then again, that's me... I have no reason to push Microsoft products. I don't own or work for any websites.

PaceAdvantage
04-27-2016, 01:16 PM
Ummm...ok...whatever that means.

I thought we were just having a friendly discussion...what is this about pushing MS products or owning or working for a web site? I don't get it.

Flysofree
04-27-2016, 02:18 PM
Ummm...ok...whatever that means.

I thought we were just having a friendly discussion...what is this about pushing MS products or owning or working for a web site? I don't get it.
Yes and I agree about clean install being preferred over the free download of Windows 10, where they do the (whatever) on their end. Microsoft needs to advertize that fact to the public also.

whodoyoulike
04-27-2016, 06:04 PM
I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 and so far no problems. I think it's better than 8.1. I accidentally upgraded but I knew I eventually would before the deadline so no harm. But, just be prepared or allow about an hour for the upgrade. If I recall correctly some questions are asked so you need to be ready to provide a response. Someone asked about favorites, mine transferred fine. The mouse is still used so no problems or changes with it.

I was waiting because I wanted to see if any glitches would be found and how they would be resolved. Over the years I've noticed some vendors expect customers to do their testing for them for some reason that's been an acceptable practice.

Regarding Cortana, I'm still learning but, noticed it's sometimes triggered by the TV broadcast when certain words are spoken. It will come up and vocally say "I didn't understand". I think it's great and I have big hopes for A.I. applications. Cortana was one of the reasons which was going to make me upgrade.

Flysofree
04-27-2016, 07:39 PM
You say some questions are asked...so you need to be ready.. What type of questions? (I had not read that before in all the junk that I have read about the free upgrade?)

whodoyoulike
04-27-2016, 08:20 PM
I'm fairly certain there were questions just can't recall. Maybe someone else who upgraded can help. It was during the process not at the beginning so stick around during the hour upgrade.

OverlayHunter
04-28-2016, 03:20 PM
whodoyoulike -

Did you happen to notice how much larger (if at all) the Windows 10 install is than Windows 8? I've got a laptop with only 20 gigs of room left.

whodoyoulike
04-28-2016, 05:32 PM
whodoyoulike -

Did you happen to notice how much larger (if at all) the Windows 10 install is than Windows 8? I've got a laptop with only 20 gigs of room left.

No, I didn't notice but I it seems before the upgrade it appears it checks (uncertain though if that was what it was checking).

You might be able to check the requirements which I've seen. My machine was only a few months old and had plenty of capacity since I purchased it in 2014 or 2015 in anticipation of the XP support discontinuation.

Here is a link for requirements.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2488355,00.asp

OverlayHunter
04-28-2016, 05:41 PM
Thank you, whodoyoulike, will use your links.