PDA

View Full Version : NYRA Multirace rule changes

SG4
04-25-2016, 02:55 PM
Glad to see an amendment to the bizarre pick 6 rules, but why change the pick 4 rule so that now if you pick a winner in the first leg you're not guaranteed at least some payout? Hopefully it's not a situation that will ever come up, considering it would require the final 3 legs of the pick 4 to be cancelled, but why bother changing a rule that would potentially screw the bettor at some point, not to mention lose takeout for the track?

http://www.drf.com/news/ny-gaming-commission-adopts-rules-make-multirace-wagers-more-uniform

the little guy
04-25-2016, 03:19 PM
Glad to see an amendment to the bizarre pick 6 rules, but why change the pick 4 rule so that now if you pick a winner in the first leg you're not guaranteed at least some payout? Hopefully it's not a situation that will ever come up, considering it would require the final 3 legs of the pick 4 to be cancelled, but why bother changing a rule that would potentially screw the bettor at some point, not to mention lose takeout for the track?

http://www.drf.com/news/ny-gaming-commission-adopts-rules-make-multirace-wagers-more-uniform

I think a "bigger picture" approach might say that with Pick-4 takeout about 50% higher than Win takeout, it's hard to say a bettor is getting screwed by getting a refund in the unlikely event that one race in a Pick-4 sequence is all that is run. Given that most players rate to use multiple horses in the first leg, over time, especially given the difference in takeout, the player benefits from a refund after one leg..especially when the refund also covers losing plays.

Remember, a refund hurts both the host track and any site taking bets, as they make no money. Hard to say this situation is also, then, unfair to players. Nothing is perfect, but it seems, to me at least, that a refund is the best possible solution. The bet, one that picks the winner of four consecutive races, never came close to happening.

SG4
04-26-2016, 05:02 PM
I guess any time your horse is officially declared the winner & you don't get paid I consider that getting screwed. Maybe the fairer thing would've been to pay out on the singular winner at only a 15% takeout rate, or whatever is equivalent to win takeout, but I imagine that's probably illegal or too complex to write into the rules. Either way this is an issue that is so infrequent it's not worth getting upset over. Just wish other issues which affect players every day might have some changes & dedicated review instead of these extremely rare situations.

Stillriledup
04-26-2016, 05:32 PM
I guess any time your horse is officially declared the winner & you don't get paid I consider that getting screwed. Maybe the fairer thing would've been to pay out on the singular winner at only a 15% takeout rate, or whatever is equivalent to win takeout, but I imagine that's probably illegal or too complex to write into the rules. Either way this is an issue that is so infrequent it's not worth getting upset over. Just wish other issues which affect players every day might have some changes & dedicated review instead of these extremely rare situations.
But if it's a pick FOUR and you don't pick four, you didn't really win.