PDA

View Full Version : LARC R5: Here is why we need public statements made

bks
04-24-2016, 07:11 PM
LOS AL, R5. When Edward Maldonado stands up on a horse in mid-stretch, we need to know exactly why.

I will assume he felt unsoundness in his mount (I know not to bet Steve Knapp for much money in a short field, and I didn't. It's the principle). But he has to now say so, and there needs to be a follow-up vet report indicating the reasons. I assume the horse was vanned off?

It looked terrible otherwise, and this sort of thing can't be left to the imagination.

EMD4ME
04-24-2016, 07:59 PM
LOS AL, R5. When Edward Maldonado stands up on a horse in mid-stretch, we need to know exactly why.

I will assume he felt unsoundness in his mount (I know not to bet Steve Knapp for much money in a short field, and I didn't. It's the principle). But he has to now say so, and there needs to be a follow-up vet report indicating the reasons. I assume the horse was vanned off?

It looked terrible otherwise, and this sort of thing can't be left to the imagination.

It did look terrible. To the simple eye, looks like he just said I'm tired. Don't feel like riding anymore.

The norm.

Kash$
04-24-2016, 09:23 PM
It did look terrible. To the simple eye, looks like he just said I'm tired. Don't feel like riding anymore.

The norm.

$1.50 fine ...no days..we don't care why you stop riding..next time Edwin we will come.down hard $25 fine..

Stillriledup
04-24-2016, 11:17 PM

Why? Because the judges in California won't ever do anything about it. These guys do it because they could get away with it.

VigorsTheGrey
04-25-2016, 05:44 PM
Why? Because the judges in California won't ever do anything about it. These guys do it because they could get away with it.

I watched the video. Looked like he just thought he had 3rd wrapped up, but oops another horse came late, I don't know, still no excuse for not riding through to the finish line...strange indeed.

SandyW
04-25-2016, 07:57 PM
I find it hard to believe that the judges in CA. have any knowledge about horse racing and what this game is all about.

Jeff P
04-28-2016, 09:20 PM
Jeremy Balan (Blood-Horse) reporting on Twitter that Maldonado has been suspended three days for failure to ride to the finish:
https://twitter.com/BH_JBalan/status/725773558966702080

-jp

Stillriledup
04-28-2016, 10:30 PM
Jeremy Balan (Blood-Horse) reporting on Twitter that Maldonado has been suspended three days for failure to ride to the finish:

-jp

never heard of this guy, but his twitter is interesting, seems like a good source of info.

bks
04-29-2016, 07:58 AM

-jp

Thx for reporting this. I'd like to see the text of the ruling and learn what (if anything) Maldonado told the stewards. Have a link?

Jeff P
04-29-2016, 01:16 PM
Here's a link to the stewards minutes for the Los Al Thoroughbred meet on the CHRB.gov site:
http://www.chrb.ca.gov/Stewards/Minutes/Minutes_LA_Thoroughbreds/Minutes_LT_16_04_17.pdf

Scrolling through the steward's minutes, the only thing I currently see about Maldonado on the site is the following:

4/17/165 MALDONADO RULING LSTL #008
Jockey EDWIN MALDONADO is suspended for ONE (1) ADDITIONAL RACING DAY (April 23, 2016) pursuant to California Horse Racing Board Rule #1766(g)(h) (Designated Races – rode in more than one designated race in California on April 16, 2016 while under suspension).

This ruling was issued when Mr. Maldonado rode in more than one designated race in California on April 16, 2016 while under suspension.

The race in question here was run on Sunday 04-24-2016 - and the most current steward's minutes entry on the CHRB.gove site (as I type this) is for the 04-17-2016 race date.

I'll check the CHRB.gov site every few days and post an update in the event the steward's minutes get updated for the race in question.

-jp

Jeff P
05-09-2016, 11:15 AM
Stewards minutes now updated on the CHRB's ca.gov site:
http://www.chrb.ca.gov/Stewards/Minutes/Minutes_LA_Thoroughbreds/Minutes_LT_16_05_01.pdf

THURSDAY
04/28/161

FILM REVIEW
Jockey EDWIN MALDONADO came to the office to review his ride in the fifth race Sunday during which he stopped riding before the finish. He was candid in explaining that he simply misjudged the finish and stood up before his horse reached the wire. This action clearly cost his horse a better placing (third) and he was therefore penalized in the following ruling:

LSTL Ruling #011
Jockey EDWIN MALDONADO who rode BIG BREAK in the fifth race at Los Alamitos Racing Association, is suspended for THREE (3) racing days (May 8, 12 and 13, 2016) for violation of California Horse Racing Board rule #1692 (Requirements for Horse, Trainer and Jockey – failure to ride his mount to the finish, costing him a better finish position). Pursuant to California Horse Racing Board rule #1766 (Designated Races), the term of suspension shall not prohibit participation in designated races.

-jp

bks
05-09-2016, 03:58 PM
Jockey EDWIN MALDONADO came to the office to review his ride in the fifth race Sunday during which he stopped riding before the finish. He was candid in explaining that he simply misjudged the finish and stood up before his horse reached the wire. This action clearly cost his horse a better placing (third) and he was therefore penalized in the following ruling:

Probably an honest mistake. But still:

THE WIRE: MISJUDGED
A Screenplay in One Act
by E. Quine Justice

EXT. MALIBU BEACH, EARLY DUSK. THE SUN IS SETTING AND WAVES CAN BE HEARD CRASHING. TWO MEN WALK SLOWLY TOWARD US AT SURF'S EDGE, ONE MUCH TALLER THAN THE OTHER. CHILDREN PLAY IN THE BACKGROUND AND SEAGULLS CAW.

TALL MAN: How was your vacation?

SHORT MAN: Not bad, not bad. Never been to Alaska before. Really big and quiet. It wasn't even that cold, like you said. But crazy big mosquitos.

TALL: Everyone hears 'Alaska' and thinks snow, but it's the friggin mosquitos you can't prepare yourself for.

SHORT: Part of me wanted to stay there.

TALL: Yeah. It's nice to clear the head for a couple of weeks, particularly when you're getting paid for it, right? (Reaches inside his front pocket for a white bank envelope, which is stuffed with cash. He hands it to the smaller man). The board ruled on your case last week.

SHORT: Saw that. They gave me 3 days.

TALL: Which is what we thought they'd do. Think they turned out to be the 3 days you spent in Fairbanks, I believe. Or maybe Anchorage. I forget.

SHORT (nodding, then pauses): I never did anything like that before.

THE MEN STOP WALKING

TALL: (turning to shorter) Of course not. Which is why you were the perfect guy for it. People who try to make pigs of themselves gets slaughtered.

SHORT: Whole thing makes me nervous.

TALL: Look, tomorrow you go back to riding everything right through the wire just like always. Then, in a few years before the next vacation, and then maybe after that just one more time before your retire, maybe you misjudge the wire again. It happens. You're human.

SHORT: I don't know, man.

TALL: People get older. It gets harder to judge things. Everyone make mistakes.

SHORT: (looks at agent expressionlessly): You're right about that.

Stillriledup
05-09-2016, 05:32 PM

A Screenplay in One Act
by E. Quine Justice

EXT. MALIBU BEACH, EARLY DUSK. THE SUN IS SETTING AND WAVES CAN BE HEARD CRASHING. TWO MEN WALK SLOWLY TOWARD US AT SURF'S EDGE, ONE MUCH TALLER THAN THE OTHER. CHILDREN PLAY IN THE BACKGROUND AND SEAGULLS CAW.

SHORT MAN: Not bad, not bad. Never been to Alaska before. Really big and quiet. It wasn't even that cold, like you said. But crazy big mosquitos.

TALL: Everyone hears 'Alaska' and thinks snow, but it's the friggin mosquitos you can't prepare yourself for.

TALL: Yeah. It's nice to clear the head for a couple of weeks, particularly when you're getting paid for it, right? (Reaches inside his front pocket for a white bank envelope, which is stuffed with cash. He hands it to the smaller man). The board ruled on your case last week.

TALL: Which is what we thought they'd do. Think they turned out to be the 3 days you spent in Fairbanks, I believe. Or maybe Anchorage. I forget.

THE MEN STOP WALKING

TALL: (turning to shorter) Of course not. Which is why you were the perfect guy for it. People who try to make pigs of themselves gets slaughtered.

TALL: Look, tomorrow you go back to riding everything right through the wire just like always. Then, in a few years before the next vacation, and then maybe after that just one more time before your retire, maybe you misjudge the wire again. It happens. You're human.

Great!! :D

And truth.

EMD4ME
05-09-2016, 08:34 PM

A Screenplay in One Act
by E. Quine Justice

THE MEN STOP WALKING

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

But anyone who thinks this happens is nuts, NUTS I tell ya!! :D

NorCalGreg
05-09-2016, 10:15 PM
$1.50 fine ...no days..we don't care why you stop riding..next time Edwin we will come.down hard $25 fine..

LSTL Ruling #011
Jockey EDWIN MALDONADO who rode BIG BREAK in the fifth race at Los Alamitos Racing Association, is suspended for THREE (3) racing days (May 8, 12 and 13, 2016) for violation of California Horse Racing Board rule #1692 (Requirements for Horse, Trainer and Jockey – failure to ride his mount to the finish, costing him a better finish position). Pursuant to California Horse Racing Board rule #1766 (Designated Races), the term of suspension shall not prohibit participation in designated races.

-Do you Grassy Knoll whiners ever feel a little silly with your ridiculous statements?

Stillriledup
05-09-2016, 10:53 PM
LSTL Ruling #011

-Do you Grassy Knoll whiners ever feel a little silly with your ridiculous statements?

Not as bad as feeling silly for accepting the status quo and keeping quiet when you see impropriety.

EMD4ME
05-09-2016, 11:11 PM
LSTL Ruling #011

SRU answered you well enough.

However, since Ka$h is now a veteran and I am a huge fan of memorial day:

Let me know what flavor of kool aid is to your liking and when you're ready I have a new bottle of rubbing alcohol to help you clean those brown nosing lips NCG :cool:

Stillriledup
05-10-2016, 01:17 AM
SRU answered you well enough.

However, since Ka$h is now a veteran and I am a huge fan of memorial day:

Let me know what flavor of kool aid is to your liking and when you're ready I have a new bottle of rubbing alcohol to help you clean those brown nosing lips NCG :cool:

It's funny how the keep quiet, take it in the shorts and say nothing group always tries to poke fun at the people who speak up for justice.

bks
05-10-2016, 02:41 AM
LSTL Ruling #011

Maybe you meant me too. In case you did, Greg, had you read what I wrote, you'll notice I said it was probably an honest answer from Maldonado.

The point is: issuing a 3-day penalty after conducting an investigation that (from what we can tell) appears to have been limited to taking the jock at his word, contributes to a system that's ripe for abuse.

NorCalGreg
05-10-2016, 08:23 AM
Maybe you meant me too. In case you did, Greg, had you read what I wrote, you'll notice I said it was probably an honest answer from Maldonado.

The point is: issuing a 3-day penalty after conducting an investigation that (from what we can tell) appears to have been limited to taking the jock at his word, contributes to a system that's ripe for abuse.

No I absolutely did not mean you, bks. You innocently brought up an incident, and the Grassy Knoll boys pounced on the opportunity to further call into question the honesty and integrity of the sport they claim to love.

All they do is completely bash the game, all the while claiming to be "martyrs"---sort of a JUSTICE LEAGUE for Horseracing.

I actually think they're comical and bring some color to the usually mundane forum. They honestly think they accomplish something for the betterment of the industry--that's the funny part.

So every now and then, I fire a shot across their bow--so they'll get stirred up and make some humorous statements such as:

"It's funny how the keep quiet, take it in the shorts and say nothing group always tries to poke fun at the people who speak up for justice."

BTW.....your "screenplay" was great---I loved it :)

-NCG

VigorsTheGrey
05-10-2016, 12:12 PM
Who says an owner/trainer can not purposely stiff his horse this race in order to get a better performance out of him down the road?

And if a jockey gets instructions to hold back the horse today and use the race as a workout for a stakes race two weeks away, what should the jockey do? Ignore the wishes of the trainer and not ride again for him.

Where are the rules that say horses must be trying to win today's race?

What if a trainer doesn't want his horse to get out of maiden allowance?

There is some pretty good money there for multiple seconds, especially knowing your horse WILL LIKELY run second...

Redboard
05-10-2016, 02:00 PM
Who says an owner/trainer can not purposely stiff his horse this race in order to get a better performance out of him down the road?

And if a jockey gets instructions to hold back the horse today and use the race as a workout for a stakes race two weeks away, what should the jockey do? Ignore the wishes of the trainer and not ride again for him.

Where are the rules that say horses must be trying to win today's race?

What if a trainer doesn't want his horse to get out of maiden allowance?

There is some pretty good money there for multiple seconds, especially knowing your horse WILL LIKELY run second...

You're kidding, right?

It's absolutely against the rules for a jock to not try to get the best finish he can. Hard earned money is bet on these contests.

VigorsTheGrey
05-10-2016, 02:26 PM
You're kidding, right?

It's absolutely against the rules for a jock to not try to get the best finish he can. Hard earned money is bet on these contests.

Where is the rule book to look at?

Best finish according to who? A rider can ride his best early for a fast workout then the horse just tires...and the rules are no excessive whipping...we constantly hear from pundits that the horse needs a race....just in it for a prep....a maintenance drill, etc... raise him up over his head, then drop him down...race him out of distance, out of surface, etc..

johnhannibalsmith
05-10-2016, 02:51 PM
CHRB Rule #1692

Each horse starting in a race must be qualified for that race, ready to run, in physical condition to exert its best effort, and entered with the intention to win. Each trainer having the care or custody of such horse warrants it is fit to participate when brough to the paddock. Such trainers shall be present at the paddock to supervise the saddling of the horse and shall give instructions to assure the best performace of the horse. Jockeys going to the post in any race shall race their mount to win, shall give their best efforts in the race to their mount and the public, and shall ride their mount out until the finish line is passed. No person shall, or attempt to, instruct, induce or otherwise solicit any jockey or trainer to ride or perform in a manner contrary to this rule. NOTE: Authority cited: Section 19440, Business and Professions Code. Reference: Section 19440, Business and Professions Code. HISTORY: 1. Amendment filed 7-23-97; effective 8-22-97.

http://www.chrb.ca.gov/query_rules_and_regulations_database.asp?form_quer y_action=browse_by_section_number

California's book is easy to browse online so we used theirs. There's something similar pretty much everywhere I know of.

EMD4ME
05-10-2016, 07:19 PM
You're kidding, right?

Despite all these rules like JHS posted, we all know not all horses are in a race with the intent to win today.

PaceAdvantage
05-11-2016, 11:54 AM
Despite all these rules like JHS posted, we all know not all horses are in a race with the intent to win today.But that's been the case for decades and decades...you act as if this is something new.