PDA

View Full Version : class question

drobert86
04-23-2016, 07:08 PM
Newbie generic question #2
I’m pretty down with the classes of races, just a little confused about Allowance and Optional claimers. I always thought claiming or optional claiming to Allowance is a step up in class, but my brisnet PP sometimes doesn’t mention the step up or down. I guess it depends on the value of the race?? Thanks for all responses..

EMD4ME
04-23-2016, 07:52 PM
Welcome :)

It depends on the field but......

Usually an N1X will have a mdspwt winner in the field which has a HIGH upside as opposed to the horse who is entered in for the claiming price (and who's ceiling is established)

Elliott Sidewater
04-24-2016, 04:27 AM
Newbie generic question #2
I’m pretty down with the classes of races, just a little confused about Allowance and Optional claimers. I always thought claiming or optional claiming to Allowance is a step up in class, but my brisnet PP sometimes doesn’t mention the step up or down. I guess it depends on the value of the race?? Thanks for all responses..
I remember reading that horses entered for a claiming price in an allowance/optional claimer only won 50% of their fair share of the races. But to address your question, there is no simple answer. BRISNET Ultimate PPs provides race ratings (RR) and that numerical value in the past performances may indicate which past race is better between horses racing today. Ties in RR are commonplace, though.

DeltaLover
04-24-2016, 11:18 AM
I remember reading that horses entered for a claiming price in an allowance/optional claimer only won 50% of their fair share of the races. But to address your question, there is no simple answer. BRISNET Ultimate PPs provides race ratings (RR) and that numerical value in the past performances may indicate which past race is better between horses racing today. Ties in RR are commonplace, though.

What you have read is correct although it only expresses half of the story:

http://i68.tinypic.com/33bzhbn.jpg

Although horses entered for a claim in optional claiming races win much less than their fair share, the crowd is very well aware of this neutralizing its significance for betting purposes as you can see from the ROI figures for both categories.

This case is very illustrative of the fact that when betting on horses we must not be concerned of the absolute impact of a handicapping factor but of how it is perceived from the betting crowd. In other words when handicapping an optional claiming race, whether a horse is entered for a claim or not should not affect our judgement calls even if we now that this is very significant for the winner of the race.

Based on what I am saying here, it is quite feasible to discover value on a factor that has absolutely no real impact in the outcome of the race assuming of course that the crowd believes that it does.

Capper Al
04-24-2016, 11:27 AM
What you have read is correct although it only expresses half of the story:

http://i68.tinypic.com/33bzhbn.jpg

Although horses entered for a claim in optional claiming races win much less than their fair share, the crowd is very well aware of this neutralizing its significance for betting purposes as you can see from the ROI figures for both categories.

This case is very illustrative of the fact that when betting on horses we must not be concerned of the absolute impact of a handicapping factor but of how it is perceived from the betting crowd. In other words when handicapping an optional claiming race, whether a horse is entered for a claim or not should not affect our judgement calls even if we now that this is very significant for the winner of the race.

Based on what I am saying here, it is quite feasible to discover value on a factor that has absolutely no real impact in the outcome of the race assuming of course that the crowd believes that it does.

Good reply!