PDA

View Full Version : Convicted Felons Get A Break in Virginia (Who's Racial Profiling Now?)

Overlay
04-22-2016, 05:03 PM
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/virginia-governor-enables-200000-felons-to-vote-in-november/ar-BBs7Ejc?li=BBnb7Kz

Virginia Governor (and former Democratic National Committee Chairman) Terry McAuliffe has issued an executive order restoring the voting rights of 200,000 convicted felons in the state.

In comments made at the Virginia state capitol in Richmond, the governor said, "Restoring the rights of former felons to vote and run for office will help undo the state's long history of trying to prevent African-Americans from fully participating in our democracy."

HalvOnHorseracing
04-22-2016, 05:48 PM
I wonder if the next governor can undo it given it was an executive order?

Overlay
04-22-2016, 05:55 PM

I'm not sure if that matters. I would imagine that the immediate focus was on increasing the chance of the state being in the Democrat column in November.

mostpost
04-22-2016, 06:01 PM
Why should a person who has completed his sentence and been released from incarceration not have the right to vote. Every state but four-three now-gives former felons the right to vote.

Don't be confused by the terms convicted felons and former felons. Only former felons are affected by this executive order.

TJDave
04-22-2016, 06:51 PM
I'm not sure if that matters. I would imagine that the immediate focus was on increasing the chance of the state being in the Democrat column in November.

Maybe, but I doubt it would make much difference. I wouldn't expect 1% to even bother to register.

One of my degenerate gambling buddies is a felon. He's content he never gets called for jury duty.

_______
04-22-2016, 07:27 PM

Gov. McAuliffe has to take a positive action every month he remains in office to grant voting rights to former felons.

The next governor doesn't have to do anything other than NOT take action and they will again lose the right to vote.

For my fellow conservatives, I'll note this is a predicable consequence of nominating an unelectable candidate for an executive office. Ken Cuccinelli was probably the only Republican who could have lost to the unpopular McAuliffe in 2013.

Not that there is any lesson to be learned but...just sayin.

Clocker
04-25-2016, 11:02 AM
I am shocked, shocked, to learn that the Democratic governor restored voting rights to convicted felons, but not gun rights. :rolleyes:

reckless
04-25-2016, 11:29 AM
Virginia has become an important swing state in recent years, and the criminal Democrat governor Terry McAuliffe basically 'assured' delivering the state to Hillary thanks to his lawless action.

To hell with freedom and democracy when there's partisan politics to play.

zico20
07-22-2016, 09:59 PM
The Virginia high court just ruled in a 4-3 decision that the governor cannot restore the rights of felons in a blanket amnesty but must take each case individually.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/07/22/virginia-high-court-strikes-down-govs-order-giving-felons-right-to-vote.html

JustRalph
07-22-2016, 10:22 PM
The Virginia high court just ruled in a 4-3 decision that the governor cannot restore the rights of felons in a blanket amnesty but must take each case individually.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/07/22/virginia-high-court-strikes-down-govs-order-giving-felons-right-to-vote.html

Thanks for the update!

boxcar
07-23-2016, 08:10 AM
I am shocked, shocked, to learn that the Democratic governor restored voting rights to convicted felons, but not gun rights. :rolleyes:

Yeah...you had better ask Mosty Posties about that. I'm shocked that he's not outraged that these felons...or wait a minute ex-felons (like in ex-cons) are still being deprived of their Second Amendment RIGHTS.

Hey, Mosty, what's with that, huh?

Inner Dirt
07-23-2016, 10:19 AM
Yeah...you had better ask Mosty Posties about that. I'm shocked that he's not outraged that these felons...or wait a minute ex-felons (like in ex-cons) are still being deprived of their Second Amendment RIGHTS.

Hey, Mosty, what's with that, huh?

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought only a violent felony gets your right to gun ownership yanked. So I believe there are a lot of felons who can still own guns.

boxcar
07-23-2016, 10:29 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought only a violent felony gets your right to gun ownership yanked. So I believe there are a lot of felons who can still own guns.

Maybe in some states. But here in Swampland:

In regard to use of firearms by felons: It is illegal in Florida for convicted felons to possess firearms, including muzzle loading guns, unless the convicted felon has had his/her civil rights restored and firearm authority restored by the state's Clemency Board or the gun qualifies as an antique firearm under Florida...

Inner Dirt
07-23-2016, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt
Maybe in some states. But here in Swampland:

In regard to use of firearms by felons: It is illegal in Florida for convicted felons to possess firearms, including muzzle loading guns, unless the convicted felon has had his/her civil rights restored and firearm authority restored by the state's Clemency Board or the gun qualifies as an antique firearm under Florida...

I just did a little research, a lot of gun regulations have changed in the last dozen years. My general knowledge of gun laws appears outdated regarding the rights of ex-cons to own guns. Looks like in many states a conviction for even misdemeanor domestic violence gets your gun rights yanked. Of course criminals past and present follow gun laws to a tee.

Pensacola Pete
07-23-2016, 04:41 PM
Maine and Vermont actually allow felons to vote from prison.

http://felonvoting.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000286#iowa

But saying that voting rights would be restored so that blacks could vote wasn't the correct way to put it.

Tom
07-23-2016, 04:51 PM
Maine and Vermont actually allow felons to vote from prison.

http://felonvoting.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000286#iowa

But saying that voting rights would be restored so that blacks could vote wasn't the correct way to put it.
That's where their candidates all are, so it is natural..... :lol:

boxcar
07-23-2016, 05:07 PM
That's where their candidates all are, so it is natural..... :lol:

And I think the nation would be a far better place if a swap were made -- the corrupt lib politicians go to lock-up and all the black prisoners go free.