PDA

View Full Version : No more open Saratoga backstretch

Storm Cadet
06-30-2004, 08:08 PM
Paul Moran of NY Newsday reported this morning that NYRA is going to announce soon that they will be closing down the popular Saratoga backstretch to the public for security reasons. The only people allowed there will be horsemen and owners with credentials.:(

saratoga guy
06-30-2004, 10:59 PM
This story has actually been banging around here in the Saratoga area for weeks now. The effect is already being felt by folks who had previously been able to go and watch workouts at the Oklahoma track (located across the Union Ave from the racecourse).

Mike Veitch had written about it in the Saratogian and talked about it on his OTB-TV program.

The Albany paper also had a story earlier this month about the increased security:

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=254471&category=SARATOGA&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=6/5/2004

joeprunes
07-01-2004, 11:46 AM
This was probably due to Suff. He got all the guys tru security poseing as a agent, owner, etc. He was paying off every one and got to were ever he wanted to to take all the guys .
Hey Suff maybe you should head their security
See you in a couple of months..jp

CryingForTheHorses
07-01-2004, 02:13 PM
Its sad to see what the world has come to,Old and young loved to watch the horses train at the Spa.I myself welcome the added securty.Its only a matter of time before some kook does something to hurt a horse or rider.Watch for the added beef at the Breeders Cup in Texas.

PaceAdvantage
07-01-2004, 02:31 PM
I agree McSchell. It's a different world out there, and having unauthorized folks roaming around millions of dollars worth of horse flesh is an invitation to disaster.

Now, lets see if they actually enforce it!

joeprunes
07-01-2004, 02:42 PM
This was probably due to Suff. He got all the guys tru security poseing as a agent, owner, etc. He was paying off every one and got to were ever he wanted to to take all the guys .
Hey Suff maybe you should head their security
See you in a couple of months..jp

CryingForTheHorses
07-01-2004, 04:53 PM
This is a thing that has ALWAYS amazed me. The jockeys here at Calder walk back to the jocks room in front of the grandstand..What if some kook was standing on the rail and attacked a jockey?...Guys like Bailey and so forth wouldnt have a chance at some mad gambler.I feel that the track management wherever it may be, Have a armed excort for the jockeys to and from the jocks room.I know Woodbine is very good,My wife rod a favorite to a 2nd place finish..When she came back to be unsaddled several irate drunk guys began cussing and throwing their losing tickets at her...As she walked to go under the grandstand, The same 2 guys started to throw programs at her..At that time Toronto police grabbed the 2 guys and security then surrounded my wife to then protect her..All of this happened VERY fast and shook her up.Hell it was a 10k claimer.. Racetracks are very vulnerable and the least protected, Unless your trying to get into the barn area

Suff
07-08-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Storm Cadet
Paul tials.:(

oh boy,,,, extra twenty.

schweitz
07-08-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by McSchell_Racing
This is a thing that has ALWAYS amazed me. The jockeys here at Calder walk back to the jocks room in front of the grandstand..What if some kook was standing on the rail and attacked a jockey?...Guys like Bailey and so forth wouldnt have a chance at some mad gambler.I feel that the track management wherever it may be, Have a armed excort for the jockeys to and from the jocks room.I know Woodbine is very good,My wife rod a favorite to a 2nd place finish..When she came back to be unsaddled several irate drunk guys began cussing and throwing their losing tickets at her...As she walked to go under the grandstand, The same 2 guys started to throw programs at her..At that time Toronto police grabbed the 2 guys and security then surrounded my wife to then protect her..All of this happened VERY fast and shook her up.Hell it was a 10k claimer.. Racetracks are very vulnerable and the least protected, Unless your trying to get into the barn area

At Sam Houston the jocks walk through the ground floor of the grandstand to get back to the paddock--guess it hasn't been a problem.

Turf2Dirt
07-09-2004, 02:13 AM
a couple of years ago this one a-hole I used to hang around with was with me on the backstretch of CD during Derby week, he gets to bafferts barn and peeks around, no one is there, so here he is play around with Point Given, Congaree, and Captain Steve, all three next to each other, rubbing their head, grabbing their nose ect.

The barn foreman comes around the corner screaming at us, but my buddy is like a lawyer, he talks a thousand miles a minute, and the dude dont know what to say and just lets us go, but Bafferts barn has no security whatsoever.

This thing has been a long time coming, especially nowadays with all the illegal aliens and terrorists

KingChas
07-09-2004, 08:45 AM
I'm suprised after the sponging of the horses noses a while back,that the security hasn't been tightened in the barns.Actually if you park across the street at Saratoga you can walk right through the barns.We take peppermints up every year and feed the outriders horses without a question or a problem.

T2D- So now we know why Point Given lost Derby.(LOL)

PaceAdvantage
07-09-2004, 10:24 AM
There's no security around these places....it's laughable at times.

KingChas
07-09-2004, 10:30 AM
We are at the point when we see a crazy nut we have nothing to worry about.But when we see a normal quiet person we should.Something not right anymore-huh?

ranchwest
07-09-2004, 10:39 AM
In the "good ole days" we used to hang out with the jockeys after their last ride, right there on the ground floor of the grandstand at DED.