PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Ratings/Stats/Interviews, Horseplayer Magazine, Free

DeanT
04-21-2016, 03:53 PM
Hi Folks,

The ratings are done and released in the magazine.

Special thanks to NYRA, Kentucky Downs, Jockey Club, Betfair USA, Canterbury, Paulick and Sid Fernando for answering questions from a horseplayer perspective.

http://horseplayersassociation.org/hanamonthly.html

Thanks to everyone - Charlie, Greg - for putting things together. And everyone else who helped.

The ratings have added TimeformUS Class ratings and a few other bells and whistles this year. Thanks to TFUS for their help.

The issue is live and downloadable here.

Thanks for reading.

highnote
04-21-2016, 04:04 PM
The ratings look good. Nice job!

One suggestion... It would be interesting (to me, at least) if you had a column next to the "Rank" column that showed last year's rank.

This would alert readers to which tracks moved up and which moved down from last year to this year.

DeanT
04-21-2016, 04:17 PM
Thanks. You're right HN. We should be doing that. I will forward that to the boss.

Stillriledup
04-21-2016, 04:22 PM

One suggestion... It would be interesting (to me, at least) if you had a column next to the "Rank" column that showed last year's rank.

This would alert readers to which tracks moved up and which moved down from last year to this year.

Great idea :ThmbUp:

highnote
04-21-2016, 04:38 PM
Maybe you could do like the old Billboard music charts? They used a bullet to denote songs rising in the charts.

If a track makes a big move up maybe it could be denoted with some sort of a symbol?

cutchemist42
04-21-2016, 04:39 PM
Great work as always guys! Hurts to see the track that made me actually like this game be so bad, but still like knowing I got decent Canadian tracks to play.

DeanT
04-21-2016, 05:04 PM
Couple things I liked from the interviews - HD at Kentucky Downs is coming, and some of the good work by NYRA on the AQ breakdown rates.

plainolebill
04-22-2016, 01:48 AM
I see Canterbury has a lot of late afternoon and evening racing. I think I'll try them out.

Charli125
04-22-2016, 11:12 AM

Great example of why input is so great. Can't believe I didn't think of that, and it's a great idea. I'll try to add it this weekend.

raybo
04-22-2016, 01:01 PM
Hi Folks,

Special thanks to NYRA, Kentucky Downs, Jockey Club, Betfair USA, Canterbury, Paulick and Sid Fernando for answering questions from a horseplayer perspective.

Thanks to everyone - Charlie, Greg - for putting things together. And everyone else who helped.

The ratings have added TimeformUS Class ratings and a few other bells and whistles this year. Thanks to TFUS for their help.

Thanks for reading.

Dean, I was hoping to find that HANA had finally added average (or median) win payouts to the spreadsheet, but alas, it's still not there. Has there been any discussion, among the principals, about adding that rating/data? IMO, that single piece of data would overshadow some of the presently included data regarding helping the horse player make wise decisions about the tracks they play. Takeout is important, sure, but average win payout tells much about the real profit opportunities, or lack thereof, of any track.

DeanT
04-22-2016, 03:42 PM
Dean, I was hoping to find that HANA had finally added average (or median) win payouts to the spreadsheet, but alas, it's still not there. Has there been any discussion, among the principals, about adding that rating/data? IMO, that single piece of data would overshadow some of the presently included data regarding helping the horse player make wise decisions about the tracks they play. Takeout is important, sure, but average win payout tells much about the real profit opportunities, or lack thereof, of any track.

I totally forgot about that. It's easy to do as well. And you're right.

We even forgot to add it to the back page stats where the guys added the favorite win percentage by track. I meant to!

It'll be in the next magazine (unless I forget again). And we might be able to add it to the sheet, but Charlie is the boss.

That really annoys me, because we want to add more neat stuff (and did, like the TFUS class figure) but I totally brain cramped on avg win payout.

Cratos
04-22-2016, 03:49 PM
Raybo, go to the head of the class for your astute comment about win payout vs. mutuel take out.

raybo
04-22-2016, 06:11 PM

We even forgot to add it to the back page stats where the guys added the favorite win percentage by track. I meant to!

It'll be in the next magazine (unless I forget again). And we might be able to add it to the sheet, but Charlie is the boss.

That really annoys me, because we want to add more neat stuff (and did, like the TFUS class figure) but I totally brain cramped on avg win payout.

Good deal! I really think it is an added value to the ratings sheet. :ThmbUp:

raybo
04-22-2016, 06:14 PM
Raybo, go to the head of the class for your astute comment about win payout vs. mutuel take out.

Thanks Cratos! Pretty much a no-brainer though, if one thinks about it a bit. At least I think so anyway.

Longshot6977
04-22-2016, 08:08 PM
Dean, do you want any input such as Monmouth DOES offer 50 cent tris etc? Would that increase their score slightly?

Charli125
04-22-2016, 08:15 PM
Dean, do you want any input such as Monmouth DOES offer 50 cent tris etc? Would that increase their score slightly?

It's too late to change scores, but I'll update the page. Unfortunate that nobody from Monmouth let us know that prior to publication because it would've helped their score a little.

As for average win price, I'll do that tonight.

Charli125
04-22-2016, 08:18 PM

Do you think it's best to just show the rank from the previous year, or to show the change? I don't want to put too much info on the page.

Waquoit
04-22-2016, 11:12 PM
I'm afraid the list really botches Suffolk. They ran 3 times in 2015, not once. I attended the first day and was happy when my 9/2 horse weaved through traffic to get up late for my Pick 4. I wasn't so happy when the Pick 3 paid over 50% more than the Pick 4. How is that horseplayer friendly?

DeanT
04-23-2016, 06:38 PM
I'm afraid the list really botches Suffolk. They ran 3 times in 2015, not once. I attended the first day and was happy when my 9/2 horse weaved through traffic to get up late for my Pick 4. I wasn't so happy when the Pick 3 paid over 50% more than the Pick 4. How is that horseplayer friendly?

They ran only the one day at the 15% takeout, the other days were higher. We contacted them and they are planning to run six days at 15% ATB takeout in 2016. Handles were pretty good (around $1.5M) on the one day at 15% takeout.

five-eighths
04-24-2016, 01:17 PM
Hi Folks,

Thanks for reading.

Appreciate the ratings, but I noticed that my home track Hazel Park was not included in the 2016 ratings, but they were in there last year.

DeanT
04-26-2016, 12:30 PM
Appreciate the ratings, but I noticed that my home track Hazel Park was not included in the 2016 ratings, but they were in there last year.

I think Charlie was adding that back in. Should be on the main sheet soon.

Nice to have some crowdsourcing as usual with this, because after about a month, the sheet (the most important thing) is pretty much spot on.

raybo
04-26-2016, 12:59 PM

Now that I've thought some about it, we might get more out of "median" win payouts rather than "average". "Median" would show the payout at which there are just as many payouts above it as there are below it. That way a huge payout or two wouldn't skew the "median" win payout like it would the "average" win payout. A $200 win payout might make the track look like it has many high payouts to shoot at, when, in reality, it might be a lower win payout track (chalky) overall.

Clocker
04-29-2016, 11:33 AM
Great work, and thanks.

I have a question about tracks that run separate T-bred and quarter horse meets. Is the data aggregated, combining all racing? This could have a big impact on field size stats, as quarter horse races seem to generally have larger fields.

Jeff P
04-29-2016, 01:30 PM
Data is thoroughbred only.

-jp