PDA

View Full Version : Is Bris Profit Line Better than Bris Prime Power?

Flysofree
04-21-2016, 12:49 PM
How do they stack up against each other.... Mostly the same top pick?

They charge a fee for Profit Line Figures (unless you sit by the computer and use Tools on Twinspires), where as the Prime Power figures are free with any type of bet at Twinspires.

Capper Al
04-21-2016, 12:50 PM

They charge a fee for Profit Line Figures (unless you sit by the computer and use Tools on Twinspires), where as the Prime Power figures are free with any type of bet at Twinspires.

Good question.

Magister Ludi
04-21-2016, 12:56 PM

I used to know a mohel who didn't charge for bris. He only took tips.

Capper Al
04-21-2016, 03:53 PM
Profit line should be better with Maidens.

Flysofree
04-21-2016, 07:31 PM
It would be nice to see a chart on their % of winners with their Suggested Odds. Probably never see that ...
Just like another handicapping website which will go unmentioned..
I think (from what little I have seen and it's very little to go on). But at Bris if the suggested odds are WAY WAY UNDER the actual odds, best to pass the horse. What I meant to say is that if they have a horse suggested at 8-5 and it's 8-1. Forget playing it.

Immanuel Kant
04-22-2016, 09:13 AM
I used to know a mohel who didn't charge for bris. He only took tips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcYppAs6ZdI

Flysofree
04-23-2016, 10:53 AM

:sleeping:

no breathalyzer
04-23-2016, 11:42 AM
them profit lines are junk... i always love when my turf selection has 50-1 in the profit line

Flysofree
04-23-2016, 04:55 PM
them profit lines are junk... i always love when my turf selection has 50-1 in the profit line
That's good to know...Do you find your 50-1 plays from the top 5 Bris Prime Power figs?

no breathalyzer
04-23-2016, 06:47 PM
That's good to know...Do you find your 50-1 plays from the top 5 Bris Prime Power figs?

no mostly from trip notes.. the only reason i see the profit line is because my adw shows them on the video screen next to the odds.. i personally find no reason to really follow closely.. once every 2 weeks il catch an overlay worth noting .... seems like i could throw darts at a dart board and get the same results

NorCalGreg
04-23-2016, 08:31 PM
Thought this thread seemed familiar. I've been interested in any info on Profit Line vs Prime Power---or either one as a makeshift stand-alone Fair Odds Line.

Just did a google search--about the only thing came up was my own post here from a few months ago. Obviously, Bris has all this info ...they just ain't tellin.

Like you, nb...I used to check the profit line before betting. Actually used it as a "screen" --if my potential bet was 20-1+ on PL...would just toss it.
Until I realized I was tossing winners. Personally--I don't think it's as good as Prime Power, but there is no info available on that.

This was from the TwinSpires blog about some Prime Power stats...the writer found a subset that was profitable:

"Horses with the top Prime Power rating that finished poorly last time out (fifth or worse) return a profit — further proof that factors esteemed by the public, i.e. a good last race, are best avoided when looking for overlays:

* Top prime power rating of less than 100.
* Finished fifth or worse in last race.

Number: 225
Winners: 74
Win Rate: 32.9%
$2 Return: $2.03
ROI: +1.69%
IV: 2.36"

Interesting the writer computed the ROI as you would in business--maybe that makes his +$2.03 ROI look better.--Still it's a profit with no handicapping.

-NCG

no breathalyzer
04-23-2016, 08:44 PM
Thought this thread seemed familiar. I've been interested in any info on Profit Line vs Prime Power---or either one as a makeshift stand-alone Fair Odds Line.

Just did a google search--about the only thing came up was my own post here from a few months ago. Obviously, Bris has all this info ...they just ain't tellin.

Like you, nb...I used to check the profit line before betting. Actually used it as a "screen" --if my potential bet was 20-1+ on PL...would just toss it.
Until I realized I was tossing winners. Personally--I don't think it's as good as Prime Power, but there is no info available on that.

This was from the TwinSpires blog about some Prime Power stats...the writer found a subset that was profitable:

"Horses with the top Prime Power rating that finished poorly last time out (fifth or worse) return a profit — further proof that factors esteemed by the public, i.e. a good last race, are best avoided when looking for overlays:

Interesting the writer computed the ROI as you would in business--maybe that makes his +$2.03 ROI look better.--Still it's a profit with no handicapping.

-NCG
honestly i don't know everything there is to know about the profitline.. BUT i do know it is completely useless for turf races for reasons i do not know of

Fox
04-23-2016, 11:14 PM

-NCG

225 is a small sample.

Capper Al
04-24-2016, 08:50 AM
225 is a small sample.

Not for weekend warriors.

headhawg
04-24-2016, 09:01 AM
Not for weekend warriors.Huh? The sample is either large enough to draw a statistical conclusion or not. I didn't realize sample size was related to who was going to use the results. Perhaps you meant something different.

Capper Al
04-24-2016, 09:25 AM
Huh? The sample is either large enough to draw a statistical conclusion or not. I didn't realize sample size was related to who was going to use the results. Perhaps you meant something different.

No. That was a funny. Most of us weekend warriors have to make do with sample sizes that small. And, may I add, do pretty well with small samples especially if we run two test samples. One sample to identify the concept and another after the concept is tested and implemented in our handicapping.

headhawg
04-24-2016, 10:04 AM
I'm not disagreeing with your testing methodology but I would guess that any positive results from small samples -- unless it has a super high hit rate -- is mostly illusory. The results are probably highly correlated with a "hot" streak, either the handicapper/tester's or the horse's connections. So as the sample size increases going forward the positive results start to wither. I am by no means a stats expert so there is likely some kind of small sample analysis test to see if the results are significant.

zerosky
04-26-2016, 03:41 AM
:) http://tinyurl.com/zv4cpdm

according to bris prime power incorporates "Speed, Class, Pace, form, weight, distance and more"

whilst Profit line incorporates "speed, class, pace, form, weight, distance, surface, trainer, jockey, pedigree, recency, etc"

I think they they add the jockey & trainer factors to the prime power