PDA

View Full Version : WSOP 2016

_______
04-20-2016, 08:38 PM
Is anyone going?

I'll be in the pavilion 6/10-6/12 with plans to play in event 19 starting 6/13.

PM me if you'll be in Las Vegas in that timeframe. And post your WSOP stories here if going any other time.

_______
06-06-2016, 07:41 PM
Bump.

Leaving Friday. Staying at the Gold Coast across from Rio.

Plan on booking as many hours as possible in the ring games before Sunday. Let me know if you'll be in town.

proximity
06-07-2016, 10:41 PM
how many days are you going total ______??

i'd like to go but right now it's just not in the "cards."

i do see on total rewards that i seem to get a lot of comp rooms there with my diamond card so maybe next year i'll try to go before i get demoted to platinum.

good luck ______ !!!!!

_______
06-08-2016, 03:29 PM
Friday through Wednesday. Event 19 starts Sunday.

Thanks for the good wishes. I'll need them.

Rookies
06-09-2016, 06:54 PM
Only known the daughter of a friend, who won an on line entry, as the only person I've been personally familiar with, in the WSOP.

Good luck!

_______
06-09-2016, 06:57 PM
Thanks Rookies.

Event 19 starts Monday, not Sunday.

_______
06-10-2016, 09:04 PM
First day here playing in the cash games and learning important stuff like where the bathrooms are. I sent my wife a short video of the room the cash games are in and she said it looked like the a couple of football fields worth. That's about right.

Played the lowest limit PLO (1-2 with a 5 bring in). The table I sat at (there are 4) was looser than anything I have ever seen in California.

Here are the texts I sent my wife:

"Game plays bigger. 1st hand 750 pot with everyone holding a drawing hand. I didn't play"

"LOL. I'm the only one folding cards pre-flop. Everyone plays everything."

"I don't see this many all ins before the flop in 4 weeks of playing. It hasn't been 30 minutes yet."

"+450 first hand"

"I just dodged getting involved in a huge pot I would have lost. Folded trip 10's on flop with a straight board. Guy on button who bet had trip J's. Full house hit on turn. Really glad I'm the only tight player here."

So my first hand played was unusual for Omaha. Flopped top 2 and called a loose players $50 bet. Hit the nuts on turn. Checked it to and got the bet I wanted from a short stacked player. Got his stack (about 200) plus the 3 way main pot. The flop aggressor folded on the 200 bet or it would have been better. I had a redraw for a weak flush if I missed the fill but got lucky on turn. Not a hand I'd recommend anyone play that way but it worked that time.

On break to eat and get a sweater. It's near 100 here but cold enough in poker room to be uncomfortable and I don't get cold.

Up 515 in first 4 hours play. Probably better than I should expect for the long term but the play is super loose.

Gave up 1/2 a good sized pot by failing to call $80 on a K-8-8,8,A board with QQ and no post flop action before the river. Loose player bet $40, tighter player on my right raised to $80. I thought someone had the case 8 but the raise was the other 2 Q's and it took the hand.

davew
06-11-2016, 01:13 AM
good luck,

I would probably rather have played in event 12 than the loose game you are describing - would probably need 100 buy-ins for that type of game, with all the flips...

_______
06-11-2016, 11:48 PM
good luck,

I would probably rather have played in event 12 than the loose game you are describing - would probably need 100 buy-ins for that type of game, with all the flips...

I'll be surprised if the tournament is as loose as the cash games. One of the reasons I like PLO is the knowledge base for the average player is less than that of hold'em which is much closer to a mathematically solved game.

I played with an Aussie today who complained that people always made their draws against him in PLO. I don't think he realized that they aren't hitting 8 or 9 outers like in hold me but more likely 13, 17, or even 20 outers on straights.

I split a pot today with a guy when we both flopped a straight but he had nothing besides that. I had outs to the nut flush and a higher straight. He wound up all in for a huge pot with no chance to do more than split. I missed that one but there is enough similar play that even a moderately skilled player like myself can expect to be profitable.

I made a little less today +388 in a much longer session than yesterday. I never went back last night and slept 12 hours instead. Getting over a cold so I'm just a total Vegas party animal, ya know?

proximity
06-12-2016, 08:38 AM
"LOL. I'm the only one folding cards pre-flop. Everyone plays everything."

welcome to my world. last night, after not playing a hand for like 45 minutes, i raised utg and the whole table called!! believe it or not charm city whizz was even right behind me to witness it!! :D

great thread and great results _________!! and where did you find this wife that understands poker texts? dealer??

keep it up!!

ttt

_______
06-12-2016, 06:27 PM
Proximity-

I dated the first female floor person at Commerce for a few years. She was a stunning Lebanese gal but she hated everything about her job and didn't want me to let any of her friends know I was a player because she had always insisted she would never date a poker player.

After we broke up, I started dating my wife who doesn't know the first thing about cards but is very understanding as long as I win. Whenever I'm on a losing streak, she asks "are you still having fun?" which is a good checkpoint for me to see if I need to take a break and start over fresh.

If you haven't come to Las Vegas for WSOP, you really should. I have no idea what the texture of the cash hold'em games are but if they are anything close to what I see at PLO, you will not be able to avoid making money.

I'm taking a break for lunch and am up 1200 on the day which is my biggest session ever at 1-2 PLO. The maximum buy in is $500. I was and still am debating the opportunity cost of buying into the tourney which will keep me away from the cash tables but I think I still want to buy in. I'll never race in F1 or pitch in the World Series but I can still pony up and play in the biggest tournament in poker.

I just hope today isn't peak PLO for me.

proximity
06-12-2016, 08:00 PM
I'm taking a break for lunch and am up 1200 on the day.....

very nice!! :cool:

ttt

_______
06-12-2016, 10:40 PM
I registered for the tournament tomorrow. Then got a call from my wife that the garage door opener wasn't working and the Bluetooth in her car is out. Then lost $500 in a cash game.

I think losing is just a reversion to the mean after a ridiculously good run of cards today. The other stuff feels more ominous, lol.

_______
06-13-2016, 08:17 PM
It died in the small blind with short stack and an attempt to limp in late in the 5th level. Everyone had folded around to me. I had 2450 left besides the 150 small blind and threw in the other 150 hoping for a check. I didn't get it. I held an awful Omaha hand A-2-3-Q with the ace suited to hearts.

I committed another 600 from my stack to see the flop which was K-8-7 two hearts. I bet all in and got an immediate call from the big blind who held K-J-J-x with 3 hearts. Needless to say I didn't get one of my 6 outs.

I ran okay at the start and had over 9300 chips at the first break (2 hours). I had knocked out 3 players all of whom had short stacks. The largest was probably 1800. I tried to take out another short stack with a 13 out wrap but his two pair held. That cut me down just below the 5000 starting chips and I never really recovered from it.

I will definitely come for this again next year. I suppose I learned that 5000 chips and hour long blinds don't actually equal a lot of hands to play in the tournament. You are short stacked quickly if you aren't moving up in chip count right from the start.

I have been having a great run at the cash games and will head back there tomorrow for one last all day session before going home Wednesday. I don't think I'm up to playing tonight. I'll absorb the lessons of the day, get something to eat and party out like I have been here (in bed by 10).

proximity
06-13-2016, 08:41 PM
It died in the small blind with short stack and an attempt to limp in late in the 5th level. Everyone had folded around to me. I had 2450 left besides the 150 small blind and threw in the other 150 hoping for a check. I didn't get it. I held an awful Omaha hand A-2-3-Q with the ace suited to hearts.

I committed another 600 from my stack to see the flop which was K-8-7 two hearts. I bet all in and got an immediate call from the big blind who held K-J-J-x with 3 hearts. Needless to say I didn't get one of my 6 outs.

not an omaha player, but you had the three aces there too right? :confused:

anyhow sorry you didn't win as i think we were all rooting for you. i know i was. at least you're doing great in cash!! keep it up!!