PDA

View Full Version : Funny Story

cj
06-30-2004, 03:26 PM
Attention: This post is not generalizing about my Canadian brethren, just one particular Canadian as an individual.

I rarely discuss politics at work. It is even moreso true now that I work in NATO with people from all over the world.

Yesterday, as I was waiting to speak with someone, an American civilian and a Canadian military guy were talking about the President. The Canadian guy looks at me and says, "You need to vote for Kerry. Bush has ruined the opinion of your country around the world."

So, not wanting to get into this discussion, I merely ask, "So, how did the elections turn out in Canada yesterday?"

His reply, "I don't know. There not important." I smiled and said, "Concern yourself with your own country's politics before you worry about those of my country" and headed out the door.

JustRalph
06-30-2004, 05:36 PM
Hey CJ.........what was that guys Rank? just wondering.........I think I would have had to give it to him..........but then again, discretion is the better part...........you know what I mean........

I was not known for knowing when to keep my mouth shut. No matter who or their rank. I got my share of dressing downs over it. But I was told privately by many that they admired me for it. Being admired privately doesn't get you promoted though.............

cj
07-01-2004, 12:41 PM
He's the same rank as me, but I don't know him very well, and he is a nice guy.

ps...I'm past the point of worrying about promotion, I hit 20 in May, will finish my time here in Belgium, and then call me MR.

JustRalph
07-01-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
He's the same rank as me, but I don't know him very well, and he is a nice guy.

ps...I'm past the point of worrying about promotion, I hit 20 in May, will finish my time here in Belgium, and then call me MR.

Good for you!

CryingForTheHorses
07-01-2004, 05:00 PM
Well Cj..How did the election turn out in Canada..Dont get a lot of "Home News"in Florida, NATO!..Im impressed

cj
07-01-2004, 05:07 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/americas/06/29/canada.election/index.html

From what I understand about Canadian politics, they are expecting another election in the near future.

cryptic1
07-01-2004, 06:21 PM
CJ, you're absolutely correct. Minority governments rarely
last more than a couple of years. The Liberals in this case
will have to make deals with another party to pass legislation.
Eventually there will be either a "non confidence motion" ,
which, if successful, means the government has to go the
peole in an election or the minority government feels it has
the right issue to call a snap election from which it believes it
will get a majority. The Libs know they can't call an election
quickly so they will bide their time until some fortuitous issue
arisesand then the plug will be pulled.

cryptic1