PDA

View Full Version : Songbird Out of Oaks

menifee
04-18-2016, 10:13 PM
Shame. She was going to put on a show. Oh well, at least the Oaks/Derby double will be one heck of a handicapping exercise. Sorry for those that had a future wager on her.

I wonder if they try to train her up to the Preakness or bring her to NY for the Acorn.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/210891/songbird-out-of-kentucky-oaks

dilanesp
04-19-2016, 05:34 PM
Shame. She was going to put on a show. Oh well, at least the Oaks/Derby double will be one heck of a handicapping exercise. Sorry for those that had a future wager on her.

I wonder if they try to train her up to the Preakness or bring her to NY for the Acorn.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/210891/songbird-out-of-kentucky-oaks

The idiot owner doesn't want to run against colts even though he has the best 3 year old in America. So I would highly doubt she's going to the Preakness. I suspect it's the Acorn, the Black Eyed Susan, or some weak filly race here in California like the ones Zenyatta used to run in.

Fager Fan
04-20-2016, 06:29 PM
The idiot owner doesn't want to run against colts even though he has the best 3 year old in America. So I would highly doubt she's going to the Preakness. I suspect it's the Acorn, the Black Eyed Susan, or some weak filly race here in California like the ones Zenyatta used to run in.

I love you types. If you had a nice horse, you'd run it into the ground in about two seconds flat.

lamboguy
04-20-2016, 06:36 PM
my guess would be that she winds up in the Preakness

burnsy
04-20-2016, 06:41 PM
I love you types. If you had a nice horse, you'd run it into the ground in about two seconds flat.

Two points, one, I agree. People jump up and down for these horses to run vs. the males..........its risky and takes a lot to beat them on the dirt surface. People make it sound so easy and it rarely is on the horse.

Secondly, anyone that bet this horse in the "futures" is a nut. The reason, for what just happened. Lets see how many defections we get from the Derby itself. Its one thing if you take a chance on a bomb, if one is betting these likely choices in the future pool........its just a silly bet.

Sorry for the futures bets........not me. Maybe they'll learn something.

Fager Fan
04-20-2016, 06:45 PM
my guess would be that she winds up in the Preakness

That'd be my very last guess. First, she's still not nominated to the TC so they'd have to pay that supplement which is quite high. Second, I couldn't imagine that they want her comeback race after this hiccup to be against the boys. Third, if the Derby wasn't enough to entice them, why would the Preakness or Belmont?

EMD4ME
04-20-2016, 06:57 PM
That'd be my very last guess. First, she's still not nominated to the TC so they'd have to pay that supplement which is quite high. Second, I couldn't imagine that they want her comeback race after this hiccup to be against the boys. Third, if the Derby wasn't enough to entice them, why would the Preakness or Belmont?

There is no way they end up in the Preakness. They obviously aren't looking to "win" people over against the boys or create a super legacy like Rachel Alexandra did.

It's the old, take the easy way and collect as much sure money as you can before you prematurely retire to the breeding shed plan.

burnsy
04-20-2016, 07:10 PM
............yeah, perfect example. Winning the Woodward did wonders for Rachel's career........ :rolleyes: People think its so easy on the horse. As far as grade 1's go.....she was finished after that race. That was with her own kind too.......the next year. All done, never the same........its a jog in the park though. Yeah right.

EMD4ME
04-20-2016, 07:21 PM
............yeah, perfect example. Winning the Woodward did wonders for Rachel's career........ :rolleyes: People think its so easy on the horse. As far as grade 1's go.....she was finished after that race. That was with her own kind too.......the next year. All done, never the same........its a jog in the park though. Yeah right.

This game USED to be about putting my horse against your horse and seeing who's BETTER in terms of competition.

Fast forward years later and it is exactly the opposite, for various reasons.

I miss the days of looking to pit your horse against any and all comers.

But in return, we get 10 length wins, in watered down races, at 1/20 with no "test" what so ever. How exciting.

Fager Fan
04-20-2016, 10:49 PM
There is no way they end up in the Preakness. They obviously aren't looking to "win" people over against the boys or create a super legacy like Rachel Alexandra did.

It's the old, take the easy way and collect as much sure money as you can before you prematurely retire to the breeding shed plan.

I guess this is just general grousing because it doesn't fit these connections, or at least not the owner. He ran Eight Belles in the Derby and Havre de Grace in the Woodward and BCC. Any one of those instances would put the horse and owner in rare company, and he's done it 3 times. As for early retirements, he brought back Havre for a 5yo campaign after she won HOY.

I understand marveling at what Rachel did, as I do too, but I recognize the detrimental side to it. The Woodward finally did it, she was cooked by Sept of her 3yo year.

So which do you choose as an owner? Try to keep her healthy and in good form and running a long time, or do you throw caution to the wind and chance cooking her? I would attempt the former. I'd attempt her showing greatness over time instead of in a span of about 4 months.

I don't get people being hard on connections when any reasonable view looks at both the rewards as well as the pitfalls. Say what you want about Zenyatta's handling but she raced at the top level and undefeated for several seasons, and that's to be commended.

EMD4ME
04-21-2016, 07:06 AM
I guess this is just general grousing because it doesn't fit these connections, or at least not the owner. He ran Eight Belles in the Derby and Havre de Grace in the Woodward and BCC. Any one of those instances would put the horse and owner in rare company, and he's done it 3 times. As for early retirements, he brought back Havre for a 5yo campaign after she won HOY.

I understand marveling at what Rachel did, as I do too, but I recognize the detrimental side to it. The Woodward finally did it, she was cooked by Sept of her 3yo year.

So which do you choose as an owner? Try to keep her healthy and in good form and running a long time, or do you throw caution to the wind and chance cooking her? I would attempt the former. I'd attempt her showing greatness over time instead of in a span of about 4 months.

I don't get people being hard on connections when any reasonable view looks at both the rewards as well as the pitfalls. Say what you want about Zenyatta's handling but she raced at the top level and undefeated for several seasons, and that's to be commended.

All very good points. Especially about this owner. I guess when I see a horse that could be even money in the Derby as a filly, it pisses me off that she wasn't even considered to run in the derby....yes, we Dont want horses destroyed but there should be a happy medium between them winning by ten with no stress every time out VS. Throwing them to the wolves.

Tall One
04-21-2016, 11:53 AM
Two points, one, I agree. People jump up and down for these horses to run vs. the males..........its risky and takes a lot to beat them on the dirt surface. People make it sound so easy and it rarely is on the horse.

Agreed here.