PDA

View Full Version : Axl Rose joins AC/DC

Valuist
04-17-2016, 02:30 AM
I don't think we've heard (no pun intended) the whole story on Brian Johnson, the AC/DC singer who was basically pushed aside. So now Axl Rose joins the band:

https://www.yahoo.com/music/ac-dc-confirm-axl-rose-lead-singer-joining-024600068-rolling-stone.html

JimG
04-17-2016, 09:09 AM
I don't think we've heard (no pun intended) the whole story on Brian Johnson, the AC/DC singer who was basically pushed aside. So now Axl Rose joins the band:

https://www.yahoo.com/music/ac-dc-confirm-axl-rose-lead-singer-joining-024600068-rolling-stone.html

Something is lost when the lead singer of a classic rock band is replaced. See Styx and Journey.

RaceBookJoe
04-17-2016, 05:52 PM
Seems like replacing the lead singer ( Bon Scott..due to death ) didn't hamper AC/DC though. I'm sure there are a few other bands who's original singer was replaced and the band went on to bigger things...Iron Maiden would be one, be interesting to see what other bands.

Tom
04-17-2016, 05:56 PM
Something is lost when the lead singer of a classic rock band is replaced. See Styx and Journey.

Welcome to the Jungle!

Valuist
04-17-2016, 06:51 PM
Seems like replacing the lead singer ( Bon Scott..due to death ) didn't hamper AC/DC though. I'm sure there are a few other bands who's original singer was replaced and the band went on to bigger things...Iron Maiden would be one, be interesting to see what other bands.

Maiden and AC/DC are the only ones I can think of offhand. Van Halen did well commercially with Sammy Hagar.

Tall One
04-17-2016, 07:35 PM
You get a voice people are used to, and trying to replace it, even with a known name, can still be a crap shoot. Bon Scott's death, while tragic, was still early in AC/DC's run, so having Scott step in, didn't really have an affect, IMO. Journey went out and got a Steve Perry sound alike, and Styx, other than Mr Roboto, not familiar enough for it to matter to me.

Axl Rose will forever be linked to GNR, which also means no reunion. Oh well.

Tall One
04-17-2016, 09:59 PM
You get a voice people are used to, and trying to replace it, even with a known name, can still be a crap shoot. Bon Scott's death, while tragic, was still early in AC/DC's run, so having JOHNSON step in, didn't really have an affect, IMO. Journey went out and got a Steve Perry sound alike, and Styx, other than Mr Roboto, not familiar enough for it to matter to me.

Axl Rose will forever be linked to GNR, which also means no reunion. Oh well.

edit... :)

barahona44
04-17-2016, 10:36 PM
I think that Johnson wasn't pushed aside and he was concerned about his hearing. He's worth millions and isn't exactly a kid (he turns 70 next year).
There's also only one concert in an English speaking country left on the tour, so the crowds probably won't notice the difference! I doubt if Rose is the long term answer to the band's need for a frontman.

Valuist
04-17-2016, 11:33 PM
I think that Johnson wasn't pushed aside and he was concerned about his hearing. He's worth millions and isn't exactly a kid (he turns 70 next year).
There's also only one concert in an English speaking country left on the tour, so the crowds probably won't notice the difference! I doubt if Rose is the long term answer to the band's need for a frontman.

They will notice. If you've ever seen You Tube videos of concerts in Europe or South America, the crowd is singing along in perfect English.