PDA

View Full Version : Van Houten Parole

Overlay
04-15-2016, 07:47 AM
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/panel-recommends-parole-for-ex-manson-follower-van-houten/ar-BBrJDab?li=BBnb7Kz

Manson Family member Leslie Van Houten has been preliminarily granted parole at her latest hearing, after serving almost thirty-seven years for her role in the killings of grocery magnate Leno LaBianca and his wife Rosemary in August, 1969 (although Governor Jerry Brown has the right to review and reverse the parole board's decision). (She did not participate in the Family's killing of seven other people at the home of actress Sharon Tate the night before.)

NorCalGreg
04-15-2016, 08:43 AM
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/panel-recommends-parole-for-ex-manson-follower-van-houten/ar-BBrJDab?li=BBnb7Kz

Manson Family member Leslie Van Houten has been preliminarily granted parole at her latest hearing, after serving almost thirty-seven years for her role in the killings of grocery magnate Leno LaBianca and his wife Rosemary in August, 1969 (although Governor Jerry Brown has the right to review and reverse the parole board's decision). (She did not participate in the Family's killing of seven other people at the home of actress Sharon Tate the night before.)

Ahhh......thought you were referring to that kid on the Simpsons. I thought "Jesus, what has Milhouse done now?"

Child actors don't always have an easy life.

Overlay
04-15-2016, 08:51 AM

Manson Family member Leslie Van Houten has been preliminarily granted parole at her latest hearing, after serving almost forty-seven years for her role in the killings of grocery magnate Leno LaBianca and his wife Rosemary in August, 1969 (although Governor Jerry Brown has the right to review and reverse the parole board's decision). (She did not participate in the Family's killing of seven other people at the home of actress Sharon Tate the night before.)

Typo/math error correction.

Tom
04-15-2016, 09:23 AM
Are the LaBianca's alive again?

The bitch belong behind bars. Until they are.

Inner Dirt
04-15-2016, 09:27 AM
I am pro death penalty to the extreme I believe that anyone obviously guilty of murder should be hung at high noon the next day like in the Old West. Considering that Van Houten needs to rot in jail till she dies.

barahona44
04-15-2016, 10:34 AM
Zero political upside for Jerry Brown to let this go through, unless he wants to corner the serial killer vote.Some crimes are so notorious, the people involved will never see light of day.

Marshall Bennett
04-15-2016, 12:32 PM
Anyone convicted of such a viscous murder, if not put to death, should certainly never see the light of day again. So what if they've changed, are born again, or whatever. You do the crime you serve the time. Why parole conditions were stipulated in any of the sentences of those involved is hard to understand. These were viscous animals that sliced up their victims and marveled at their actions even through their trials.

TJDave
04-15-2016, 01:21 PM
Ain't gonna happen. Certainly not in an election year.

delayjf
04-15-2016, 02:33 PM
What exactly was her role??

Overlay
04-15-2016, 04:37 PM
What exactly was her role??

From Wikipedia:

"The next night, August 9, 1969, Manson again selected a group to commit murder. Van Houten was not chosen but asked to be allowed to go....(Patricia) Krenwinkel and Van Houten found Rosemary LaBianca in a bedroom, to which she had retired while her husband had fallen asleep while reading in the living room. (Tex) Watson put a pillowcase over Leno's and Rosemary LaBianca's heads, then tied the electrical cord from a lamp around their necks. Rosemary started struggling; meanwhile, her husband, who had been tied up in the living room, started screaming as Watson began stabbing him. Rosemary grabbed the lamp and swung it at Van Houten, who fought with her and knocked the lamp away. Van Houten then held LaBianca down while Krenwinkel tried to stab her in the chest, but the blade bent on LaBianca's clavicle. Van Houten called for assistance from Watson, who entered the bedroom and stabbed Rosemary LaBianca several times. He then found Van Houten, handed her the knife, and told her to "do something" (since Manson had instructed Watson to make sure everyone actively participated). Van Houten stabbed Rosemary's lower back and buttocks over a dozen times. Van Houten later told Dianne Lake that she had stabbed someone who was already dead. The autopsy indicated that some of the 47 stab wounds Rosemary suffered had been inflicted post-mortem."

Overlay
04-15-2016, 05:25 PM

Manson Family member Leslie Van Houten has been preliminarily granted parole at her latest hearing, after serving almost forty-seven years for her role in the killings of grocery magnate Leno LaBianca and his wife Rosemary in August, 1969 (although Governor Jerry Brown has the right to review and reverse the parole board's decision). (She did not participate in the Family's killing of five other people at the home of actress Sharon Tate the night before.)

Second correction to my original post. (I had double-counted the LaBiancas with the five people who had been killed at Sharon Tate's house the previous night.)

OntheRail
04-15-2016, 05:29 PM
Maybe she'll follow in the foot steps of Bernardine Dohrn and Bill Ayers and other Leftist Radicals and be offered a Professorship but at UC Berkley.

Should of been lit up or strung up years ago.

mostpost
04-17-2016, 03:36 PM
Are the LaBianca's alive again?

The bitch belong behind bars. Until they are.
Will they be alive if she stays in prison? Just pointing out the fallacy of your logic.

Nutz and Boltz
04-17-2016, 03:47 PM
Will they be alive if she stays in prison? Just pointing out the fallacy of your logic.

A sentence of life in prison should be just that! No early release for being a "model inmate". Gimme a break! :faint:

mostpost
04-17-2016, 04:43 PM
After considerable internal debate, I have decided that Leslie Van Houten should be paroled. The one thing we should not consider is whether the victims are still dead. That is not going to change.
What we should consider is; has the prisoner changed for the better, has she been sufficiently punished for her crime, is she genuinely remorseful, does it benefit society to keep her imprisoned, or does it benefit society for her to be released?

Has Leslie van Houten changed for the better? Absolutely. In forty seven years in prison she has no serious rules violation. She has earned college degrees in several fields. She counsels fellow inmates and has established self help groups.

Has Van Houten been sufficiently punished? This could be debated forever. What I would say is she has been in prison for forty seven years. Many murderers are paroled years earlier.

Is she genuinely remorseful? And, does she take responsibility for what she did? From everything she has said-and more importantly-everything she has done over the past several years, the answer to that question is yes.

Does it benefit society to keep her imprisoned? Unless you are in favor of meaningless revenge, the answer to that question is no.

TJDave
04-17-2016, 04:52 PM
A sentence of life in prison should be just that! No early release for being a "model inmate". Gimme a break! :faint:

Van Houten was sentenced to life with the possibility of parole.

Tom
04-17-2016, 05:58 PM

Don't try to understand these things - you will only hurt yourself.

AndyC
04-20-2016, 05:29 PM
After considerable internal debate, I have decided that Leslie Van Houten should be paroled. The one thing we should not consider is whether the victims are still dead. That is not going to change.
What we should consider is; has the prisoner changed for the better, has she been sufficiently punished for her crime, is she genuinely remorseful, does it benefit society to keep her imprisoned, or does it benefit society for her to be released?

Has Leslie van Houten changed for the better? Absolutely. In forty seven years in prison she has no serious rules violation. She has earned college degrees in several fields. She counsels fellow inmates and has established self help groups.

Has Van Houten been sufficiently punished? This could be debated forever. What I would say is she has been in prison for forty seven years. Many murderers are paroled years earlier.

Is she genuinely remorseful? And, does she take responsibility for what she did? From everything she has said-and more importantly-everything she has done over the past several years, the answer to that question is yes.

Does it benefit society to keep her imprisoned? Unless you are in favor of meaningless revenge, the answer to that question is no.

While I seldom find myself agreeing with you I do on this issue. The fact that Van Houten was a heavy LSD user and was being manipulated by Manson certainly doesn't paint a portrait of a ruthless killer who was in control of her actions. If not for the widespread publicity of the trial and the subsequent movies she would have been out years ago.

cj's dad
04-21-2016, 08:51 AM
I have posted previously that I oppose the death penalty. I oppose it for the simple reason there is absolutely no possibility that an innocent person has never been executed. NONE ! There was a case here in the Metro Baltimore area about 15 years ago where the person on death row (see Kirk Bloodsworth), was exonerated by DNA evidence.

I believe that a person convicted of murder in the 1st degree should be given a life sentence with zero chance of parole, should be segregated from the general prison population, be confined to their cell for 23 hours a day, fed the same 3 meals every day, with no TV, books or visitors. That to me is a punishment worth than death. Imagine living every day for the rest of your life exactly the same way.

Inner Dirt
04-21-2016, 09:25 AM
I have posted previously that I oppose the death penalty. I oppose it for the simple reason there is absolutely no possibility that an innocent person has never been executed. NONE ! There was a case here in the Metro Baltimore area about 15 years ago where the person on death row (see Kirk Bloodsworth), was exonerated by DNA evidence.

I believe that a person convicted of murder in the 1st degree should be given a life sentence with zero chance of parole, should be segregated from the general prison population, be confined to their cell for 23 hours a day, fed the same 3 meals every day, with no TV, books or visitors. That to me is a punishment worth than death. Imagine living every day for the rest of your life exactly the same way.

Over the course of history many an innocent person was executed for murder. I would think with the advance of DNA and criminal science there hasn't been any wrong convictions for murder in the past 10 years. Also a lot of people exonerated for murder by retroactively using DNA on cases decades old weren't exactly law abiding citizens.

Rookies
04-21-2016, 09:28 AM

Conversely, based on DNA evidence, I firmly believe that certain crimes should result in the Death Penalty for the perps. Those that would go to the head of the line for me, are serial killers and anything involving the sexual abuse/torture and/ or murder of children. In fact, hang em high... and leave them hanging... publicly... and ensure that a placard identifies their Satanic crimes.

We have a particularly odious case that keeps raising its monster head, because one of the monsters is now free. Free, because the Prosecution made a deal with this she devil, to ensure her husband got life.

"(One of her neighbours) believes that some people are still angry that Homolka only received a 12-year sentence for manslaughter for her role in the killings of her sister, 15-year-old Kristen French and 14-year-old Leslie Mahaffy.

Karla Homolka is now using the name Leanne Teale, which is the surname that she and (her husband, Paul) Bernardo adopted shortly after their marriage. Teale was a serial killer in the movie Criminal Law and a character that Bernardo admired."

Recently, she has been outed living in a Montreal neighbourhood. The neighbour continues...

"he too, has never spoken to Homolka, but he doubts that it will be easy for her to remain in the community. “She does have a right to stay on the street, but it won’t be fun for her children, especially at school. You know how kids are. It will be hard for her to escape her past.”

EASY?

My feeling is that she ought to be hounded every moment of her remaining, despicable life. At night, neighbours should ensure that floodlights be shone at her home to identify this Scarlet Killer. Hound her daily until she flees somewhere else and start it up again, till she decides to swallow a handful of sleeping pills.

**** these monsters! They shouldn't get a moment's peace.

Clocker
04-21-2016, 10:44 AM
Conversely, based on DNA evidence, I firmly believe that certain crimes should result in the Death Penalty for the perps.

I'm old fashioned and think we should revive the honored tradition of life at hard labor.

You guys got lots of good land up north that would be appropriate for a few gulags. Get to work on that.

cj's dad
04-21-2016, 11:08 AM
I respect the opinions on both sides. I just find it hard to accept that as a Catholic I must believe in the sanctity of life re: abortion yet let one human take another humans life no matter the reason.

Clocker
04-21-2016, 11:18 AM
I respect the opinions on both sides. I just find it hard to accept that as a Catholic I must believe in the sanctity of life re: abortion yet let one human take another humans life no matter the reason.

This is a big inconsistency in the major mainstream political positions.

I don't understand how you can be pro-life and for the death penalty at the same time. Or pro-choice and against the death penalty. The issue is the same for both: legalized taking of life.

Rookies
04-21-2016, 12:56 PM
I'm old fashioned and think we should revive the honored tradition of life at hard labor.

You guys got lots of good land up north that would be appropriate for a few gulags. Get to work on that.

Yeah, I think we should establish one in the Yukon or NorthWest Territories- about 150km away from any civilization. In the winter, throw open the front doors... at night... and allow any of them to leave... by walking.

Reduce costs that way.

HalvOnHorseracing
04-21-2016, 01:23 PM

I don't understand how you can be pro-life and for the death penalty at the same time. Or pro-choice and against the death penalty. The issue is the same for both: legalized taking of life.
You can be pro-choice and anti-abortion. Somewhere around 70% of the population is personally against abortion. But of that 70%, about a third are willing to allow women a choice. That is why the polls are 50-50 pro-choice and pro-life.

PaceAdvantage
04-24-2016, 05:22 PM
Also a lot of people exonerated for murder by retroactively using DNA on cases decades old weren't exactly law abiding citizens.So I guess you're trying to say that if these people were mistakenly put to death, it wouldn't have been such a bad thing?

This sounds like that other argument we were having re: Freddie Gray

horses4courses
04-24-2016, 05:28 PM
[QUOTE=Clocker]Or pro-choice and against the death penalty.{QUOTE}

Please expand.........(can't wait to hear this one)

Tom
04-24-2016, 06:02 PM
That is an easy one.
The murderer and the woman both made choices that ended a life.
Both are wrong.

horses4courses
04-24-2016, 06:06 PM
That is an easy one.
The murderer and the woman both made choices that ended a life.
Both are wrong.

It's about the death penalty.
The "murderer" might be innocent.
Who's the murderer then?

If the woman is a murderer for aborting,
what about the guy who impregnated her?

Lock him up for failure to have a vasectomy. :ThmbUp:

Tom
04-24-2016, 06:46 PM
If the woman is a murderer for aborting, what about the guy who impregnated her?

Lock him up for failure to have a vasectomy.

Wow, is that ever a dumb reply, no offense.
But it is consistent with the liberal dogma of never accept responsibility for your own actions, always blame someone else.

I was relieved you did not try to blame Bush, though.

Having sex and creating life is normal behavior, not some overt act of violence.
The man did nothing wrong, unless he paid for the abortion.

horses4courses
04-24-2016, 06:51 PM
The man did nothing wrong, unless he paid for the abortion.

Typical conservative male reply.
Abortion is always about the woman, and she is the guilty one.

Stay strong on that stance.
Please.

It's one of the many reasons we won't see
a conservative in the White House in our lifetime.

Tom
04-24-2016, 07:07 PM

That is exactly what you guys say - it is the woman's decision.
Now you try to have it both ways. Blame the man but he has no say in it.
Make up your mind. If it is only the woman's choice, how can the man be guilty of anything?

Man, trying to talk to a liberal..... :bang: :bang: :bang:

horses4courses
04-24-2016, 07:13 PM
That is exactly what you guys say - it is the woman's decision.
Now you try to have it both ways. Blame the man but he has no say in it.
Make up your mind. If it is only the woman's choice, how can the man be guilty of anything?

Man, trying to talk to a liberal..... :bang: :bang: :bang:

Stating that a man bears no responsibility for a pregnancy is bull crap.

In a perfect world, every pregnancy is between 2 loving, responsible, adults.
We both know better.

cj's dad
04-24-2016, 11:37 PM
Both the book, written by prosecutor Vince Bugliasi, and the movie are scary as hell.

Clocker
04-24-2016, 11:44 PM
Both the book, written by prosecutor Vince Bugliasi, and the movie are scary as hell.

So are liberals. :eek:

Fager Fan
04-25-2016, 12:21 AM

I agree with that which is why I'm consistent. Pro-life and anti-death penalty. But pro-lifers who are in favor of the death penalty will say that the unborn child is innocent while the person to be put to death via the death penalty murdered someone. There is no rational excuse for the inconsistency of pro-abortion and anti-death penalty.

Fager Fan
04-25-2016, 12:27 AM

Stay strong on that stance.
Please.

It's one of the many reasons we won't see
a conservative in the White House in our lifetime.

Get a grip. Only the woman can abort the baby, so yes, it's totally on her (and the person who performs the abortion). You're just jibbering political claptrap. Women are big girls and if they want true equality then that means they get to accept full responsibility for their choices, just like any man.

Fager Fan
04-25-2016, 12:30 AM

In a perfect world, every pregnancy is between 2 loving, responsible, adults.
We both know better.

Which has ZERO to do with the woman being the ONLY one of the two who can have the baby aborted. A man CANNOT have a baby aborted. Quit treating women as stupid little victims.

Fager Fan
04-25-2016, 12:35 AM
Back to the topic, there's no way a governor will let her release be on his hands. I wouldn't either. Nothing could make me plunge a knife into someone 14 times outside of self-defense (and going to that extreme for self-defense seems highly unlikely). She lacks a soul. She should die in prison.

Inner Dirt
04-25-2016, 10:28 AM

Yeah, I think we should establish one in the Yukon or NorthWest Territories- about 150km away from any civilization. In the winter, throw open the front doors... at night... and allow any of them to leave... by walking.

Reduce costs that way.

I think they should put them on an island, somewhere with the conditions to farm and have fresh water. Drop them occasional supplies and of course patrol the adjoining waters to discourage escape by boat. Make them a human ant farm, see if they will work together to survive or kill each other.

Tom
04-25-2016, 10:48 AM

I did not say that anywhere.
This is NOT what we were talking about, so stop trying to change the subject. YOU suggested MAN be implicated in the abortion, not the pregnancy. Two totally different things. Get your shit together before you post.