PDA

View Full Version : Why so many files?

Actor
04-12-2016, 09:49 PM
I run an antivirus scan every other day or so. It seems to scan close to a million files or more before it's done. Why so many files? With BRIS files costing $1 each I certainly did not put them there. Does the OS really need that many files?

whodoyoulike
04-12-2016, 10:36 PM
I'm interested in the answer for this also because the number of my files appear to be growing.

Have you noticed how many Dll files there are?

They seem to be created by other files or programs.

Longshot6977
04-13-2016, 08:38 PM
I run an antivirus scan every other day or so. It seems to scan close to a million files or more before it's done. Why so many files? With BRIS files costing $1 each I certainly did not put them there. Does the OS really need that many files?

Since know one other than yourself really knows the files and file structure on your PC, delete all files in the recycle bin and temp folder and any orphaned files leftover from previously 'uninstalled' apps. Then see if the number is much less. I emptied my recycle bin recently on a forgotten PC that was sitting in the corner for a year and there were over 10,000 files and about 6GBs in it. Some Adobe apps use TONS of files as well as some poorly written ones. By the way, in some AV apps, you can tell it to not scan some areas of your PC like the recycle bin or temp file folders etc. Good luck.

Dave Schwartz
04-13-2016, 09:28 PM
Does the OS really need that many files?

If you look hard, you'll probably find they're mostly yours.

Recently I scanned my primary drive and it had almost 9,000,000 files. That may count all the many zipped data files that contain 100 or more each. (Every day my HSH database grows by 4mb. Currently, my HSH install is over 50gb. That is really a lot when you consider that 95% of the files are zipped!

Longshot6977
04-13-2016, 10:16 PM
Since know one....

Duh, should be no one....