PDA

View Full Version : Nyquist- Ragozin

Mc990
04-12-2016, 11:28 AM
Curious what this horse looks like on the Ragozin sheets. I'm assuming he looks better there than elsewhere (couldn't possibly look worse, right?)

classhandicapper
04-14-2016, 03:54 PM
He lost a TON of ground in the Juvenile so he had to look better on ground loss adjusted figures coming into his 3yo campaign.

Mc990
04-14-2016, 05:01 PM
He lost a TON of ground in the Juvenile so he had to look better on ground loss adjusted figures coming into his 3yo campaign.

On Thoro-graph he has good (not great) 2yr old figs. Juvenile came back slow. Still hasn't broken through his 2 year old top on their numbers.

Slowest derby favorite in years based on most numbers. If he were 20-1 I could see including him but not 3/4-1.

I have to honestly say, I'm a bit surprised that the conservation regarding Nyquist is not centered more on this...

CosmicWon
04-14-2016, 11:04 PM
I have the Rags for the Top 16 point horses and Nyquist is consistently the fastest on Sheets and his 2yo #s are by FAR the best of any horse.

He's essentially paired this year in his 2 races and that paired fig is ~2pts better than his 2yo top so at least he's progressive unlike many in this crop who aren't making the moves forward in their conditioning and ability that you'd like to see this time of year.

Exaggerator is actually looking quite fast on Sheets but his best races are on the slop/sprinting which muddles things.

In fairness, it's all relative because yeah Nyquist looks meh compared to Chrome, etc but versus his peers in this crop, he looks fast.

Probably going to come down to "How good is your good?" On May 7th

SecretAgentMan
04-15-2016, 10:09 AM
I have the Rags for the Top 16 point horses and Nyquist is consistently the fastest on Sheets and his 2yo #s are by FAR the best of any horse.

He's essentially paired this year in his 2 races and that paired fig is ~2pts better than his 2yo top so at least he's progressive unlike many in this crop who aren't making the moves forward in their conditioning and ability that you'd like to see this time of year.

Exaggerator is actually looking quite fast on Sheets but his best races are on the slop/sprinting which muddles things.

In fairness, it's all relative because yeah Nyquist looks meh compared to Chrome, etc but versus his peers in this crop, he looks fast.

Probably going to come down to "How good is your good?" On May 7th

How often do the sheets get the derby winner right? I'm assuming they hit the last 3 or 4 derbys, but did they have Animal Kingdom or Super Saver, etc? Just wondering how they break things down.

boys at tosconova
04-15-2016, 10:25 AM
How often do the sheets get the derby winner right? I'm assuming they hit the last 3 or 4 derbys, but did they have Animal Kingdom or Super Saver, etc? Just wondering how they break things down.

the times i've used them they didn't produce much..they can sway you too much, and make you feel good about cutting corners by relying on them w/o doing your own work. which is fine if they won more, but they don't.

and like most programs they're only as good as the info you put in, and like most handicapping tools you don't get all the variables.

SecretAgentMan
04-15-2016, 11:09 AM
the times i've used them they didn't produce much..they can sway you too much, and make you feel good about cutting corners by relying on them w/o doing your own work. which is fine if they won more, but they don't.

and like most programs they're only as good as the info you put in, and like most handicapping tools you don't get all the variables.

Sounds about right, thanks! I guess all these programs, sheets, etc. Should be used as a tool in the arsenal.

boys at tosconova
04-15-2016, 12:01 PM
Sounds about right, thanks! I guess all these programs, sheets, etc. Should be used as a tool in the arsenal.

i wish they did work better. in these TC races they'll provide you w/ some horses they think are moving forward, some more than others...but when you look at them yourself, you'll scratch your head. and if you didn't see the sheet # you would never use.

they'll also provide you with some horses they think are moving forward that you like a little, and seeing that the sheets like them you start to like your chances even more....thing is, i've never had any of these horse hit either.

i can honestly say the sheets have made me lose more money then i should have. i'm not saying i won't take a glance at them if i could, but i certainly won't pay for them, or put them above my own handicapping talents....

SecretAgentMan
04-15-2016, 01:18 PM
i wish they did work better. in these TC races they'll provide you w/ some horses they think are moving forward, some more than others...but when you look at them yourself, you'll scratch your head. and if you didn't see the sheet # you would never use.

they'll also provide you with some horses they think are moving forward that you like a little, and seeing that the sheets like them you start to like your chances even more....thing is, i've never had any of these horse hit either.

i can honestly say the sheets have made me lose more money then i should have. i'm not saying i won't take a glance at them if i could, but i certainly won't pay for them, or put them above my own handicapping talents....

Basically like other sports programs or guys selling their supposed information in football or basketball, if it was such a winning system or program, why wouldn't they keep it to themselves & make millions.

So the sheets are like the other stuff out there, someone trying to sell you a promising payoff with their supposed expert help.

Like you stated, we are better off sticking with our own systems, angles, etc. But we can still use pieces of what others have to offer along the way, which can be useful & beneficial if mixed in the right time & year I guess because no system is great.