PDA

View Full Version : Beulah Park - What Remains

1GCFAN
04-11-2016, 07:57 PM
A friend sent me this You Tube Link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCV9PhiqsbU) . Back in the day the 19 day spring meet would have just kicked off and they would be carding the Decathlon Handicap the last Saturday in April.

Decathlon the 1956-57 the U.S. Sprint Champion was campaigned by Robert J. Dienst the long time president of the one mile Grove City, Ohio oval. Dienst retired the champ to his friend's, (John W. Galbreath) Darby Dan Farm in 1958.

I remember seeing Mr. Galbreath at the track when they ran the Decathlon back in the 70's.

CincyHorseplayer
04-11-2016, 08:12 PM
I only went there once but being from Ohio it was on my home circuit and have fond memories of the races there. Some of the best win streaks in my life were at Beulah. Those grey fall days watching the races there definitely got a place in my heart.

rrpic6
04-11-2016, 08:16 PM
Wow! What a great yet eerily done video. The comments are very heartfelt. It must be sad for those that spent their lives there. I was grateful for Mike Weiss and Charlie Ruma for inviting me there in 2004 as part of Winticket's Player Pools. The place was always so neat and clean. The paddock was a mini-Keeneland. The most amazing thing was how spacious the parking lots were. Enough for probably 20,000 cars even tho the crowds dwindled to less than a thousand a day to less than a few hundred a day. Just a ballpark guess but I think the overall square footage of the Beulah property is twice that of Mahoning Valley and the racino combined including parking and stalls.

RR

cj
04-11-2016, 08:34 PM
Did anyone grab the timer on the way out? If so MVR should buy it ASAP.

delsully
04-11-2016, 08:40 PM
Spent many a day at Beulah, it really sucks not having live racing in town anymore. Yeah, I know there's Scioto but it just ain't the same. It's a shame they had to shutter the place.

rrpic6
04-11-2016, 08:47 PM
I know this has been a pet peeve of yours. There is zero run up for 6 furlong races, the track can be extremely deep, the wind blows all the time at odd directions and various speeds due to the racino structures and nearby freeways. The times reflect this even tho you think its not possible. The speed figures produced by BRIS and Equibase seem to be in line with how the horses perform. The DRF Beyers not so IMO. Feel free to contact anyone there if you feel you can add any input to the timing issues.

RR

cj
04-11-2016, 09:30 PM
I know this has been a pet peeve of yours. There is zero run up for 6 furlong races, the track can be extremely deep, the wind blows all the time at odd directions and various speeds due to the racino structures and nearby freeways. The times reflect this even tho you think its not possible. The speed figures produced by BRIS and Equibase seem to be in line with how the horses perform. The DRF Beyers not so IMO. Feel free to contact anyone there if you feel you can add any input to the timing issues.

RR

These days I'm mostly talking about the number of races that don't have fractions.

rastajenk
04-12-2016, 06:48 AM
That youtube is one hell of a metaphor.

EMD4ME
04-12-2016, 09:25 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

jahura2
04-12-2016, 09:49 AM
A friend sent me this You Tube Link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCV9PhiqsbU) . Back in the day the 19 day spring meet would have just kicked off and they would be carding the Decathlon Handicap the last Saturday in April.

Decathlon the 1956-57 the U.S. Sprint Champion was campaigned by Robert J. Dienst the long time president of the one mile Grove City, Ohio oval. Dienst retired the champ to his friend's, (John W. Galbreath) Darby Dan Farm in 1958.

I remember seeing Mr. Galbreath at the track when they ran the Decathlon back in the 70's.
Brings back memories of the Beulah Twins!

Thomas Roulston
04-12-2016, 09:52 AM
I will always remember that turf course - and will never understand why it wasn't used more often.

macguy
04-12-2016, 10:36 AM
Amazing how fast things start to fall apart when they're not getting looked after.

MonmouthParkJoe
04-12-2016, 11:02 AM
I have never been there before, but from working with Mike Weiss down here at Rillito, he speaks very highly of that place. To this day says he had the best job in all of racing there.

1GCFAN
04-12-2016, 11:03 AM
Thomas - I always liked the about 6F turf course. In the later years Beulah was open in the only in the winter time so they quit using the turf course.

One of the turf stakes ran was the Glacial Princess. It was switched to dirt and last ran (per Bloodhorse) on Nov. 2, 2013.

I think eventually there will be some sort of historical display on the site. Some Beulah artifacts are on display in the Grove City museum.

1GCFAN
04-12-2016, 11:09 AM
MonmouthParkJoe - Mike does get around! I figured he would move to North Dakota for a permanent race secretary gig. ;)

1GCFAN
04-12-2016, 11:27 AM
It appears the You Tube Video was taken down. Sorry...:confused:

MonmouthParkJoe
04-12-2016, 11:34 AM
MonmouthParkJoe - Mike does get around! I figured he would move to North Dakota for a permanent race secretary gig. ;)

haha he sure does! He was telling me about the ND gig, and currently owns and operates an ADW with a foothold with international players, who knows where he will pop up next

wisconsin
04-12-2016, 12:23 PM
I will always remember that turf course - and will never understand why it wasn't used more often.

It got pretty torn up after some concerts, and it costs money to maintain a turf course, and they also had frost issues in the fall.

toddbowker
04-12-2016, 09:52 PM
It got pretty torn up after some concerts, and it costs money to maintain a turf course, and they also had frost issues in the fall.

It was actually a victim of the turf course having to be partially torn out when Beulah needed to fix the drainage on the clubhouse turn of the main track. Because of the limited window for use and the cost to fix it, the decision was made to not do it.

betovernetcapper
04-12-2016, 11:05 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the horseman at BEU oppose Internet rebates, which could have increased their handle?

AlBundy33
04-12-2016, 11:16 PM
This may sound a bit off topic but when was the turf course at Beulah used? Because the only racing dates that I know at Beulah was during the fall, all of winter and the early part of spring.

rastajenk
04-13-2016, 07:24 AM
Sept, Oct, and April towards the end of its usage in the early 90's, I think.

They used to have 2-mile steeplechase events on that 5-furlong thing. That was fun. :)

dilanesp
04-13-2016, 02:04 PM
Did someone rescue Katie and Jenna?

betovernetcapper
04-13-2016, 07:20 PM
OMG I haven't thought of them in ages. I remember watching them & squinting to see how they could be or were at one time hot. :lol:

rrpic6
04-13-2016, 07:46 PM
OMG I haven't thought of them in ages. I remember watching them & squinting to see how they could be or were at one time hot. :lol:

They certainly were! I think some of these were the G-Rated pics that also appeared in a regional issue of Playboy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iUTJJIftgI

RR

rrpic6
04-13-2016, 07:51 PM
Any truth that this was Mike Weiss's debut in front of the camera?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAzTlVJ2aPg

RR

EMD4ME
04-13-2016, 08:20 PM
CCV9PhiqsbU

1GCFAN
04-13-2016, 10:01 PM
Al: Rastajenk is correct about the months for turf racing. Back in the day Beulah was limited by law to a 19 day spring meet and 31 day fall meet. The harness lobby had the choice summer dates in central Ohio. The Beulah horsemen shipped to River Downs for the summer and back for the fall meet. It was the norm for about 30 years.

betovernetcapper
04-14-2016, 12:11 AM
Didn't the state have some weird rule that favored harness racing by not allowing TB racing at the same time as harness racing, resulting in some weird scheduling.

toddbowker
04-15-2016, 06:07 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the horseman at BEU oppose Internet rebates, which could have increased their handle?

Didn't the state have some weird rule that favored harness racing by not allowing TB racing at the same time as harness racing, resulting in some weird scheduling.Thoroughbreds had to be done running live by 7:00pm and harness raced at night. The tricky part was the simulcasting requirements.

Except when a side deal was made between a harness and thoroughbred track in the same market, the thoroughbred track could only take signals where the first post time was at 4:00pm or earlier, and the harness tracks could only take anything where first race was 3:00pm or later. Was an advantage for the harness tracks, who were going to block the full card simulcasting law altogether if the thoroughbred tracks didn't cave.

The OH HBPA wasn't necessarily anti-rebate when I was the Simulcast Coordinator, but were very active in reviewing all the outlets and contracts we wanted to send to.