PDA

View Full Version : Woodbine's new Tapeta surface..

Kash$
04-10-2016, 09:38 AM
Would like to hear any thoughts on it.Opening day yesterday carded all sprint races..

Tom
04-10-2016, 10:06 AM
I thought they had a very good surface the last few years.
I see no good reason to change it.
I also see no good reason to bother following them anymore.

WO is off my list.

RichieP
04-10-2016, 10:11 AM
Tapeta is the same surface they run on at Presque Isle and I love the racing there! I.M.H.O. it is the best of the all weather surfaces so I look forward to the racing at Woodbine even more.

:ThmbUp:

EMD4ME
04-10-2016, 10:17 AM
Isn't Golden Gate in the same boat (same Tapeta as Presq) ? God, I detest GG. Presq I can play, GG never.

Valuist
04-10-2016, 02:18 PM
Isn't Golden Gate in the same boat (same Tapeta as Presq) ? God, I detest GG. Presq I can play, GG never.

Yes GG is also Tapeta.

EMD4ME
04-10-2016, 02:34 PM
Yes GG is also Tapeta.

CONGRATULATIONS on 15,000!!!

HoofedInTheChest
04-10-2016, 02:35 PM
Yes GG is also Tapeta.
GG uses a different formula of Tapeta, kind of like 1.0 versus the 10.0 that they use now.

Presque uses the same formula as Woodbine.

The surface looks like it plays consistent, it will be interesting to see how it plays out with a temperature fluctuation. It’s still cold up here and the surface hasn’t had a chance to open up.

It looks great, nice change from the black surface.

HoofedInTheChest
04-10-2016, 02:56 PM

WO is off my list.
The old Poly surface was completely dead, and it was 2 years past it’s expiry date. The Poly was loaded with liquid wax, and the surface was sticking to the horses and was quite painfull for the horse to remove. There were massive chunks of blowback last season, and the surface was far from consistent. There were other safety issues with the surface and it was long overdue for the change.

Give it a chance Tom, the reports have been glowing from all involved. Handle was up from last year on opening day.

Woodbine has introduced the “Rolling Doubles” this season with a 15% takeout.

The trotters have moved permanently to Mohawk, and they want to install a “inner turf course” on the limestone track. Love it!

olddaddy
04-10-2016, 07:53 PM

Is the 15% on all rolling doubles and on all race days throughout the meet? And does this apply to the U.S.A adws or just at woodbine?

HoofedInTheChest
04-12-2016, 11:47 AM
Is the 15% on all rolling doubles and on all race days throughout the meet? And does this apply to the U.S.A adws or just at woodbine?
Yes it's 15% every day. I am not sure if an American ADW has their own takeout, i would imagine that it is the same across the board.

HoofedInTheChest
04-12-2016, 11:51 AM
For the first time in 60 years, Woodbine is no longer using a teletimer to time the races, Trakus is now timing the races. There was some issues on the weekend with Trakus not appearing on the screen as well as the tote board during the race, and i can’t really say how accurate these times are.

Saturday - The track surface seemed to be very similar to the old Poly, with the majority of the winners coming from off the pace. The times were very similar to the old surface, and the surface appeared to play fair with no distinct bias.

Sunday – It was a very different Tapeta on Sunday, the morning workouts were blazing fast and that continued into the afternoon. The race times were significantly faster on Sunday with a bias towards front runners, with inside speed holding up very well.

The temperature was -2C on both Saturday and Sunday, partly cloudy on Saturday with cloud cover on Sunday with some light snow at the end of the race day. Maybe the sun slows the track down, we will find out next weekend when it’s supposed to be sunny and 16C. The surface is still new and probably needs to be raced on before it settles into its routine, but that’s quite a change for a surface that’s supposed to be fair with no wild bias swings.

Saturday April 9/16

Race / Distance / Running Style / Final Time

R1 – 5F – S – 59.90
R2 – 5.5F – EP – 105.86
R3 – 5F – S – 58.58
R4 – 5F – P – 57.72
R5 – 5F – EP – 59.04
R6 – 7F – P – 1:23.33
R7 – 5F – EP – 59.23
R8 – 6F – S – 109.75
R9 – 5F – P – 58.45
R10 – 5F – EP – 59.09

Sunday April 10/16

Race / Distance / Running Style / Final Time

R1 – 5F – P – 57.47
R2 – 5F – P – 56.86
R3 – 5.5F – E – 104.79
R4 – 5F – E – 57.57
R5 – 5F – S – 58.22
R6 – 5F – E – 57.54
R7 – 5F – P – 57.06
R8 – 6F – E – 108.88
R9 – 5F – EP – 57.35
R10 – 5F – E – 57.51

olddaddy
04-12-2016, 12:53 PM
Yes it's 15% every day. I am not sure if an American ADW has their own takeout, i would imagine that it is the same across the board.

If so thats a good bet. Maybe Jeff can verify this.

SuperPickle
04-12-2016, 04:12 PM

WO is off my list.

I don't think not changing it was on the table. The synthetic tracks have a life span. After a certain time the plastics and coatings in it breakdown and need to be replaced. Where as dirt is dirt. It last forever.

I thought it played fair. As with any synthetic track it can change wildly from day-to-day. It's best to watch the early races and hop for a bias and jump in.

I'm curious why its so brown in color.

biggestal99
04-13-2016, 04:32 PM
Best thing about syn are no slop races and off the turfers won't scratch as much.

Allan

Tom
04-13-2016, 08:32 PM
I'm curious why its so brown in color.

I have a suspicion.... :eek:

pandy
04-13-2016, 10:59 PM
If that 15% Takeout on Doubles is available at all ADW's, I'll bet betting. Woodbine has good betting cards and the surface should be fine.

Zaf
04-14-2016, 12:09 AM
Its seems that Tapeta is the only artificial surface that has held up over the years. Aside from that its only Arlington and Turfway that still run on polytrack ???

Z

CincyHorseplayer
04-14-2016, 12:54 AM
Tapeta is the same surface they run on at Presque Isle and I love the racing there! I.M.H.O. it is the best of the all weather surfaces so I look forward to the racing at Woodbine even more.

:ThmbUp:

I find I like tapeta too as I got used to playing Presque Isle last year because I like their post time and I do well there. Polytrack I don't care for. I will certainly give Woodbine a look because while I have always loved their turf course I never cared for their main track races.

Plus as an FYI I get a lot of good pedigree, track, and trainer information from Progressive Handicapping and Woodbine gives all their downloads away for free.

http://proghandicap.com/

NorCalGreg
04-14-2016, 04:06 AM
I find I like tapeta too as I got used to playing Presque Isle last year because I like their post time and I do well there. Polytrack I don't care for. I will certainly give Woodbine a look because while I have always loved their turf course I never cared for their main track races.

Plus as an FYI I get a lot of good pedigree, track, and trainer information from Progressive Handicapping and Woodbine gives all their downloads away for free.

http://proghandicap.com/

Were you talking about this, Cincy:

The Woodbine Handicapper and Woodbine Blue Chip Trainer Angles 2016. PlusWoodbine Daily Sheets will also be available for FREE. That is a $400 value. 2016 editions are expected to be uploaded shortly.

Imagine that--a track actually trying to entice new customers :)

I think I'll start playing Woodbine--with my fav new surface :ThmbUp:

Kash$
04-14-2016, 06:41 AM
HD Tv,replays.

olddaddy
04-14-2016, 08:49 AM
Im not crazy about .20 pk3s and pk4s but if that and low take out on doubles gets new meat to the track, Im all for it.

I love their grass course, probably the best in north american.

PressThePace
04-14-2016, 10:05 AM
The Tapeta surface seems to be way more consistent through varying types of weather. Poly on the other hand plays way too inconsistent for me. I'm sure there's value in the poly if you understand the surface, but that's way over my head.

CincyHorseplayer
04-14-2016, 03:07 PM
Were you talking about this, Cincy:

The Woodbine Handicapper and Woodbine Blue Chip Trainer Angles 2016. PlusWoodbine Daily Sheets will also be available for FREE. That is a $400 value. 2016 editions are expected to be uploaded shortly.

Imagine that--a track actually trying to entice new customers :)

I think I'll start playing Woodbine--with my fav new surface :ThmbUp:

Yep. Pretty solid of Woodbine. The Prog info is great too. Nitro is probably wondering what I'm doing getting trainer info since I'm always betting against them and rarely ON them! :cool:

Valuist
04-14-2016, 07:40 PM
CONGRATULATIONS on 15,000!!!

Thanks. It only took 13 years.

thespaah
04-17-2016, 10:51 PM
The old Poly surface was completely dead, and it was 2 years past it’s expiry date. The Poly was loaded with liquid wax, and the surface was sticking to the horses and was quite painfull for the horse to remove. There were massive chunks of blowback last season, and the surface was far from consistent. There were other safety issues with the surface and it was long overdue for the change.

Give it a chance Tom, the reports have been glowing from all involved. Handle was up from last year on opening day.

The trotters have moved permanently to Mohawk, and they want to install a “inner turf course” on the limestone track. Love it!
Really? NO more Woodbine Harness?...I wonder why they decided to do that..

HoofedInTheChest
04-18-2016, 05:56 AM
Really? NO more Woodbine Harness?...I wonder why they decided to do that..
Have you ever been to Woodbine in the winter to watch standardbred racing? You could shoot a cannon through the place and no one would notice. The concept is just being discussed and analyzed at this point in time, and there are other factors that have to fall in place for this to come to fruition, but it’s very likely to happen, possibly as soon as 2017.

Its incentive for moving harness racing to Mohawk full-time is not for the betterment of its standardbred product, but for the betterment of its thoroughbred product. The plan calls for turning the harness track at Woodbine into a smaller turf track with the belief that having two turf tracks will increase its thoroughbred horse population, entries, and subsequently, handle.

“We have to find ways of attracting more horses and getting bigger fields (for Woodbine Thoroughbred racing) and there’s no question that turf races attract larger fields,” Lawson said. “We could put that second turf course at Woodbine and run six or seven turf races a day. That would be a big attraction and bring horsemen to Woodbine.”

12/ALL/ALL
04-18-2016, 02:04 PM
Would like to hear any thoughts on it.Opening day yesterday carded all sprint races.. Probably because there were so many horses coming off layoffs and short on conditioning. This is just a guess because I didn't see the PPs. This kind of thing has also happened at the start of the Finger Lakes meet with some really short races that are little more than glorified workouts that you can bet on. I'll consider changing my citizenship if Woodbine combines 15% takeout rolling doubles with two turf courses.

fiznow
04-20-2016, 04:26 PM
Hi all, respect to Woodbine for keep on caring for the horses safety. Also it's almost necessary to keep a poly surface because of the extreme weather conditions there and it's good for people like me who hate off tracks. But right now it's very tough to handicap and i will wait a while and just watch before i bet seriously. Why? Many horses come from a layoff and didn't race since the end of last season there. All horses run for the first time on the new surface. I also consider that many Woodbine based jockeys didn't ride since last November and didn't ride on the new surface before. And yes, I love the turf course and the low take out too. All in all it's a great high class racing place with stakes races almost every Saturday and Sunday. But it will take a while until I (hopefully) can make money there. ;)

Clocker
04-28-2016, 06:04 PM
From the Woodbine web site:

Woodbine Racetrack will unveil its brand new Tapeta main track on Saturday with an excellent 10-race card including the feature Jacques Cartier Stakes which sizes up as a showdown between likely Sovereign Award winning sprinter Stacked Deck and Grade I winner Hootenanny.

The newly installed Tapeta (pronounced Ta-PETE-a) replaces the Polytrack surface which had been in place since August of 2006.

To help horseplayers get a grip on the new surface, we’ve reached out to a number of top handicappers to provide their advice and insight in advance of Saturday’s card.

http://www.woodbineentertainment.com/Woodbine/RaceTrackNewsPage.aspx?NewsId=da3a168f-0d84-43f7-90d5-ef4afb88a30f&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

appistappis
04-28-2016, 09:31 PM
nice promo ad......when they raised the takeout on breeders cup races it was very low key.