PDA

View Full Version : The Ky. Derby is racist

Clocker
04-09-2016, 01:07 PM
Moonbats on parade: a Dartmouth sorority was forced to cancel its annual Kentucky Derby theme party when some students protested that it was racist. Such a party is offensive and racist because it evokes the aesthetics and culture of the plantation-era antebellum South. :rolleyes:

Is our children learning? Kentucky was a border state, not a southern state, and remained in the Union. The first Derby was run 10 years after the end of the Civil War.

Dartmouth costs about $65K a year. Some people are wasting a lot of money--mom and dad no doubt.

http://dailycaller.com/2016/04/07/sorority-cancels-kentucky-derby-party-because-theme-is-offensive/

horses4courses
04-09-2016, 01:11 PM
Get over it.

boxcar
04-09-2016, 02:04 PM
Get over it.

I wonder if you'd get "over it" if the PC freaks managed to shut down the KY Derby because it offended their highly sensiitve sensibilities? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

horses4courses
04-09-2016, 02:07 PM
I wonder if you'd get "over it" if the PC freaks managed to shut down the KY Derby because it offended their highly sensiitve sensibilities? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Probably better than most around here.

Overlay
04-09-2016, 02:07 PM
My son (and his wife) both received a good academic education at Dartmouth, but the saturation in political correctness that came with it was a definite downside.

Ocala Mike
04-09-2016, 02:14 PM
More "political correctness" involving the cherished theme song that brings tears to everyone in the bluegrass (2-yo article):

http://www.wnyc.org/story/my-old-kentucky-home-a-song-with-a-checkered-past/

boxcar
04-09-2016, 02:18 PM
Probably better than most around here.

Yeah...you'd probably adjust really well to the Double Crown series. :rolleyes:

Clocker
04-09-2016, 03:10 PM
My son (and his wife) both received a good academic education at Dartmouth

They probably went to class instead of looking for things to find offensive.

Protesters at the party last year, confronted by the student body president who was attending the party, demanded his resignation. They couldn't call him a racist because he was black, so they called him an Uncle Tom. :D

Flysofree
04-09-2016, 03:16 PM
Moonbats on parade: a Dartmouth sorority was forced to cancel its annual Kentucky Derby theme party when some students protested that it was racist. Such a party is offensive and racist because it evokes the aesthetics and culture of the plantation-era antebellum South. :rolleyes:

Is our children learning? Kentucky was a border state, not a southern state, and remained in the Union. The first Derby was run 10 years after the end of the Civil War.

Dartmouth costs about $65K a year. Some people are wasting a lot of money--mom and dad no doubt.

http://dailycaller.com/2016/04/07/sorority-cancels-kentucky-derby-party-because-theme-is-offensive/

I would never have dreamed that the Kentucky Derby was big at a place like Dartmouth... LOL... Any excuse for a party and someone wasn't invited. How crazy.

Tom
04-09-2016, 03:45 PM
Yeah...you'd probably adjust really well to the Double Crown series. :rolleyes:

I think guys like him should try some 7 Crown...might loosen the up a bit.

Today's college campuses are not the place to look for intelligent life.
There is very little adult supervision there to focus the minds full of mush running amuck.

horses4courses
04-09-2016, 03:51 PM
I think guys like him should try some 7 Crown...might loosen the up a bit.

Today's college campuses are not the place to look for intelligent life.
There is very little adult supervision there to focus the minds full of mush running amuck.

You schmucks have said the same drivel since the 1960s.
Not too many moons after your "McCarthy high" wore off.
Pathetic antagonists. :ThmbDown:

Tom
04-09-2016, 04:01 PM
Pathetic antagonists.

YOUR side is the one trying to tell everyone how to live, not mine.
But really, you guys are good for a laugh - the Derby is racist? :lol: :lol:

Do you guys bow down and face Moscow 5 times a day?

Pathetic commes!

davew
04-09-2016, 04:22 PM
well we all know Back Lives Matter More

and I don't know when the last black trainer, jockey or owner won the Kentucky Derby, do you? Clearly racism is involved and 0bama should stick the DOJ on the Derby point system as it discriminates against minorities...

Clocker
04-09-2016, 04:30 PM
well we all know Back Lives Matter More

and I don't know when the last black trainer, jockey or owner won the Kentucky Derby, do you? Clearly racism is involved and 0bama should stick the DOJ on the Derby point system as it discriminates against minorities...

Are there any horses of color entered this year? :confused:

RunForTheRoses
04-09-2016, 04:40 PM
Are there any horses of color entered this year? :confused:

Don't know about that but Obama just commented on the winner of the 4th at Santa Anita and said:

"Yeah, He's a White Horse-Sorry!"

Clocker
04-09-2016, 04:52 PM
Don't know about that but Obama just commented on the winner of the 4th at Santa Anita and said:

But the horse is a gelding, so it is transgendered and still qualifies as a minority. :cool:

Tom
04-09-2016, 04:54 PM
But the horse is a gelding, so it is transgendered and still qualifies as a minority. :cool:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

More 7 Crown for all!

RunForTheRoses
04-09-2016, 05:00 PM
If it needs to use the bathroom in North Carolina...good thing it is Born to Run.

Rookies
04-09-2016, 06:16 PM
Do you guys bow down and face Moscow 5 times a day?

Pathetic commes!

Poor Tommy-stuck about 1956, when the Juleps were a might cheaper. He checks under his waterbed nightly for Reds:rolleyes:

Thanks for your contribution, Tail Gunner Jackarse! :lol:

Tom
04-09-2016, 06:50 PM
My mistake - they bow to Toronto, not Moscow.
No difference.

barn32
04-09-2016, 08:04 PM
The NBA is racist. 12.3% of the American population is black, but 74.4% of the NBA is black.

horses4courses
04-09-2016, 08:08 PM
The NBA is racist. 12.3% of the American population is black, but 74.4% of the NBA is black.

How many franchise owners are black....got that stat handy?

Here....I'll help you out.
Beyond the NBA.....3 leagues, 92 teams, 1 black principal owner.
Now, that's racist!

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/diversity-in-the-nba-the-nfl-and-mlb/

Clocker
04-09-2016, 08:13 PM

About the same percentage as liberals with a sense of humor. :cool:

horses4courses
04-09-2016, 08:24 PM
About the same percentage as liberals with a sense of humor. :cool:

Oh, I have a wonderful sense of humor, clock.
It's just tuned into the opposite side of the dial...... ;)

NorCalGreg
04-09-2016, 09:03 PM
Now see what you went and did, Tahoe.....your trolling on the wrong side of the tracks brought the canuck here...next that wackjob mailman will assume this is fertile trolling ground.

I demand a SAFE SPACE.

Rise Over Run
04-09-2016, 09:14 PM

Here....I'll help you out.
Beyond the NBA.....3 leagues, 92 teams, 1 black principal owner.
Now, that's racist!
There are multiple franchises in every major sport who would gladly sell at a reasonable market-driven amount to a purchaser of any color.

betovernetcapper
04-09-2016, 10:02 PM
It's held at CD (home of all evil in horse racing) so I'll agree it's racist. I also think asking 3 year olds to run a mile and a quarter this early in the year is animal cruelty. I'll be boycotting this race as I'm neither a racist or sociopath.

http://prime.peta.org/2010/04/only-sociopaths-intentionally-hurt-animals-a-professional-view

Inner Dirt
04-10-2016, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Thanks for the laugh.

Inner Dirt
04-10-2016, 10:37 AM

What year was that stat compiled? I think it is much higher than 74.4%, plenty of time there isn't even a white guy on the court.

Overlay
04-10-2016, 11:10 AM
My son (and his wife) both received a good academic education at Dartmouth, but the saturation in political correctness that came with it was a definite downside.

When I sent my son an e-mail about this incident at his alma mater, he told me that things are worse at colleges in this regard than they were even five years ago, and sent me the following article on The Coddling of the American Mind:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/

woodtoo
04-10-2016, 12:47 PM
When I sent my son an e-mail about this incident at his alma mater, he told me that things are worse at colleges in this regard than they were even five years ago, and sent me the following article on The Coddling of the American Mind:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/
:ThmbUp:

boxcar
04-10-2016, 04:31 PM

The youth of today are the product of Dumbed Down education at most public schools. Welcome to the Sissification of America. :ThmbDown:

barahona44
04-10-2016, 05:22 PM
What year was that stat compiled? I think it is much higher than 74.4%, plenty of time there isn't even a white guy on the court.
That number sounds about right, often the 9 through12 benchwarmers are of the chalk persuasion.
Actually the real minority in the NBA are American born whites, there are a higher percentage of foreign born (mostly Europe/Canada) white players, I think about 55% of whites, the last number I saw.
It looks like the NBA needs a new affirmative action program.Start combing those suburbs for promising white boys!

Valuist
04-10-2016, 10:58 PM
Get over it.

I assume you are referring to the moron students that were protesting. I agree they should get over it. The Derby is a horse race, not some sort of symbol of the slavery era South.

Valuist
04-10-2016, 11:01 PM
That number sounds about right, often the 9 through12 benchwarmers are of the chalk persuasion.
Actually the real minority in the NBA are American born whites, there are a higher percentage of foreign born (mostly Europe/Canada) white players, I think about 55% of whites, the last number I saw.
It looks like the NBA needs a new affirmative action program.Start combing those suburbs for promising white boys!

How many Canadians are in the NBA? Steve Nash is retired. So that leaves who, Andrew Wiggins?

horses4courses
04-10-2016, 11:03 PM
I assume you are referring to the moron students that were protesting. I agree they should get over it. The Derby is a horse race, not some sort of symbol of the slavery era South.

How long have students been protesting about all sorts of everything?
Does it really matter, or directly affect you?

Let them protest - as long as no one gets hurt.

Clocker
04-10-2016, 11:20 PM

I think that one could argue that there are significant qualitative differences between protesting the Vietnam war and protesting a private party with a Derby theme. :rolleyes:

It provides comic relief in a depressing political environment, as well as very strong empirical evidence against idiotic proposals like a minimum wage for entry level workers, forgiveness of student loans, and "free" college tuition.

barahona44
04-10-2016, 11:23 PM
How many Canadians are in the NBA? Steve Nash is retired. So that leaves who, Andrew Wiggins?
There were 13 at the beginning of 2014-15 season, but Steve Nash was on the list so there's at least one less.Anthony Bennet, Tristan Thompson, Kelly Olynyk among others.

http://basketball.ca/en/news-article/13-canadians-announced-on-2014-2015-nba-rosters-p157120

Saratoga_Mike
04-11-2016, 09:01 AM

You never comment on things that don't directly impact you? If a conservative posts something, you reflexively take the other side. On the substance, you honestly find this protest legit? If not, why did you post "get over it" beyond your reflexive defense of all things liberal?

Flysofree
04-11-2016, 09:09 AM
My guess (and it's only that) is that the MAJORITY of black folks don't see the Kentucky Derby as something racist. Some people of all races always see something in everything.
That's why I hate the term liberal or conservative. What does all the branding prove? I am "liberal" on some things and "conservative" on others. So what is the point?

I like Bernie Sanders, but will vote for Ted Cruz against Hillary Clinton.

cj's dad
04-11-2016, 09:33 AM
This is the official state song and is played at the Preakness Stakes. There is a movement afoot to make the Star Spangled Banner the official state song and to stop playing MD, My Md, at the Preakness because the song has been declared racist, Why?, because it refers to Lincoln as a "despot" and urges Marylanders to join the confederacy,

Total BS.

rastajenk
04-11-2016, 09:38 AM
I was just now looking at the wikipedia page for My Old Kentucky Home to see how the darkies references had been updated, and was reminded that the song was an important contribution to the abolition movement in the 1850's...not that a detail like that would ever matter to today's crop of SJW's.

delayjf
04-11-2016, 10:06 AM
Protesters at the party last year, confronted by the student body president who was attending the party, demanded his resignation. They couldn't call him a racist because he was black, so they called him an Uncle Tom.

Standard Operation Procedure for Black Lives Matter. Now that it worked in Missouri, how many times have we or will we see this scenario played out over and over again.

boxcar
04-11-2016, 11:47 AM
I think that one could argue that there are significant qualitative differences between protesting the Vietnam war and protesting a private party with a Derby theme. :rolleyes:

It provides comic relief in a depressing political environment, as well as very strong empirical evidence against idiotic proposals like a minimum wage for entry level workers, forgiveness of student loans, and "free" college tuition.

Wait until these college sissies graduate and try to enter the workforce. I have to wonder how they will not find this aspect or that aspect or some other to the daily grind patently offensive to their delicate sensibilities. Oh wait...maybe that is why so many "millennials" are living back home with mommy and daddy, already. :rolleyes: And one is led to wonder how many of these secretly desire to crawl right back into the warmth and comfort and safety of mama's womb -- protected from all that is offensive -- save for the potential off feeling the abortionists' tools of the trade, of course.

boxcar
04-11-2016, 11:49 AM
My guess (and it's only that) is that the MAJORITY of black folks don't see the Kentucky Derby as something racist. Some people of all races always see something in everything.
That's why I hate the term liberal or conservative. What does all the branding prove? I am "liberal" on some things and "conservative" on others. So what is the point?

Well, not all of us, thankfully, are as conflicted as you. :D

Flysofree
04-11-2016, 11:55 AM
I'll tell you what I think is racist and I'm a Southern white guy.

This morning an extremely LOUD pickup truck (muffler sound I guess, sounded awful), but it passed me on a somewhat heavy road, flying a large Confederate flag. Yeah I know freedom of speech, but you can't tell me that's not racist. Someone looking for trouble more than likely.

PaceAdvantage
04-11-2016, 12:00 PM

Let them protest - as long as no one gets hurt.But they are protesting from a position of sheer ignorance.

The Kentucky Derby was first run AFTER the Civil War was over...and Kentucky was a neutral state during the Civil War. Kentucky was a slave state but never seceded.

Maybe somebody better inform this righteous protesters...

delayjf
04-11-2016, 12:13 PM

What bothers me is that the University administration cowed down to protesters. So I guess the Boss will no longer perform in Kentucky because the liberal left has now placed its "Racist" brand on the Kentucky derby. Next the LGBT protesters will protest the fact that Churchill Downs does not card races for gay horses.

johnhannibalsmith
04-11-2016, 12:18 PM
A bunch of hyper-enlightened know-it-alls that think that pretty much everything is racist or misogynist or somehow offensive if you stare at it long enough are getting the attention they want and don't deserve. Let them beat a broken drum, just don't broadcast the racket please.

Clocker
04-11-2016, 12:24 PM
Next the LGBT protesters will protest the fact that Churchill Downs does not card races for gay horses.

And that geldings can't run in races carded for fillies and mares. :eek:

Tom
04-11-2016, 01:53 PM
They can if they "feel marish."

(The old gray mare, she ain't what she used to be!:eek:)

Clocker
04-11-2016, 01:55 PM
They can if they "feel marish."

(The old gray mare, she ain't what she used to be!:eek:)

So a gelding can run as a mare if it self-identifies as female?

Tom
04-11-2016, 02:10 PM
I think you've got it.
By George, you've got it!

Tall One
04-11-2016, 03:20 PM
A horse race is deemed racist.

Is this really where we are as a society?

tucker6
04-11-2016, 03:33 PM
A horse race is deemed racist.

Is this really where we are as a society?
This country has no other problems to address, so why not. :rolleyes:

Tom
04-11-2016, 04:08 PM
Close the colleges.
We have enough stupid people already.

CincyHorseplayer
04-11-2016, 04:33 PM
I know I am prejudiced. I bet on more chestnuts than I care to admit than any other color!

Tall One
04-11-2016, 04:51 PM
With that in mind, Tom, maybe the Dartmouth bunch should just protest the University of Louisville instead. Their president threw a cinco de mayo office party with everybody sporting dirty sanchez mustaches, siesta hats, and carpet shawls to boot. :D

But, considering this is the same school who recently used an athletic dorm named after a 911 victim (Billy Minardi Hall--Pitino's b-i-l) as a cat house, why bother.

Instead, and paraphrasing Uncle Leo, STOP THE RACES!1!!

Overlay
04-11-2016, 04:55 PM
This is the official state song and is played at the Preakness Stakes. There is a movement afoot to make the Star Spangled Banner the official state song and to stop playing MD, My Md, at the Preakness because the song has been declared racist, Why?, because it refers to Lincoln as a "despot" and urges Marylanders to join the confederacy,

Total BS.

I always thought that they should sing the last verse from the lyrics to the song, which includes the words (speaking of the hope that Maryland will cast her allegiance with the Confederacy), "Huzza! She spurns the Northern scum!"

delayjf
04-11-2016, 04:58 PM
I know I am prejudiced. I bet on more chestnuts than I care to admit than any other color!

You sir are a horsist

boxcar
04-11-2016, 08:32 PM
But they are protesting from a position of sheer ignorance.

The Kentucky Derby was first run AFTER the Civil War was over...and Kentucky was a neutral state during the Civil War. Kentucky was a slave state but never seceded.

Maybe somebody better inform this righteous protesters...

What do you expect from Dumbed Down public school students: Real knowledge of the world -- most especially history!?

boxcar
04-11-2016, 08:33 PM
Close the colleges.
We have enough stupid people already.

Yeah, and some around here even lay claim to being straight A students. :lol: :lol:

horses4courses
04-11-2016, 10:48 PM
You never comment on things that don't directly impact you? If a conservative posts something, you reflexively take the other side. On the substance, you honestly find this protest legit? If not, why did you post "get over it" beyond your reflexive defense of all things liberal?

I don't agree with their protest, but that's beside the point.
They have the right to protest - valid, or not.

Animal rights protesters?
That's another story.
I have a hard time refuting the argument there.

I like to think that 80-90% of conditioners do the right thing for the horse.
Sometimes I wonder, though.

Clocker
04-11-2016, 11:11 PM
I don't agree with their protest, but that's beside the point.
They have the right to protest - valid, or not.

And the point of posting about it is to poke fun at the stupidity of mindless, politically-correct, liberal-indoctrinated kids who don't have the slightest clue about history or reality. :p

horses4courses
04-11-2016, 11:14 PM
And the point of posting about it is to poke fun at the stupidity of mindless, politically-correct, liberal-indoctrinated kids who don't have the slightest clue about history or reality. :p

They're right about many things.
Not this time, though.

Clocker
04-11-2016, 11:34 PM

Any college student seriously worried about safe spaces and microaggressions needs to leave school and work a real job for a couple of years for an object lesson in reality.

OntheRail
04-12-2016, 12:00 AM
They can change the theme to Fluffy Kittens... and it'll still draw protest.

Why... cause it's still a private by invite exclusive shindig.... so the same people looking in at the Derby Party will still be looking in from the outside as the "New Woodstock Party. And when they see people dress like Jimmi they will really freak... :lol:

Flysofree
04-12-2016, 09:54 AM
To me : Like most everything in this country ;It's all about Money 1st, last and always.... especially something like the Derby. Prices ..Supply and Demand.

What about the World Series... Is that racist? Let's stop these World Series parties Right now. (Frankly, I've never heard of a world series party. But of course we have super bowl parties)...When do the NBA Championship parties begin and where?

rastajenk
04-12-2016, 10:02 AM
You can party hearty, just don't appropriate anyone's long-lost culture with no respect for sincerity or authenticity, or you'll be guilty. Of something. With stern penalties.

HalvOnHorseracing
04-12-2016, 10:43 AM
Yeah, and some around here even lay claim to being straight A students. :lol: :lol:
I am sure all of us here believe that could never, ever be you. I'll be looking for your new thread, D students unite.

Inner Dirt
04-12-2016, 10:57 AM

There are a lot of people who take the default part line on every issue down to what flavor of ice cream to eat.

Valuist
04-13-2016, 01:05 AM
Not this time, though.

Not so much. Nobody is very worldly at age 20. Many think they are, foolishly.

Grits
04-14-2016, 04:54 PM
THIS. Is the biggest crock of #$%# I've heard in many a day. If I paid 65K tuition a year for a child of mine to attended this school (sorry, Overlay, not your children), and I knew they were involved in something as stupid as this protest? I'd cut off their funds, and tell them, ...."get a job, you're wasting my money on drivel. How dare you?"

EPIC, WORD CLASS STUPID.

Grits
04-14-2016, 04:56 PM
Not so much. Nobody is very worldly at age 20. Many think they are, foolishly.

And the numbers of those not worldly at even 50+ is even greater. :lol:

Clocker
04-14-2016, 05:18 PM
You can party hearty, just don't appropriate anyone's long-lost culture with no respect for sincerity or authenticity, or you'll be guilty. Of something. With stern penalties.

I just saw an article about students at some school protesting that the school cafeteria was serving food that they were calling by ethnic cuisine names (lasagna or fried rice or whatever), but the recipes were not authentic to that culture, so that was a microaggression. :rolleyes:

Clocker
04-14-2016, 05:37 PM
The school cafeteria issue arose at Oberlin (about $65K a year). Asian-American students were particularly upset, calling the practice offensive, disrespectful and racist. The morons that run the school met with representatives of the students and the director of food services issued a statement apologizing for "the execution of several dishes in a manner that was culturally insensitive". :rolleyes:

All school cafeteria food is culturally insensitive. What's the big deal here?

Grits
04-14-2016, 06:18 PM
They're children. Hopelessly. Childlike.

They are in university surroundings? Yet, they have an elementary, grade school mentality. Their parents did a poor, poor job with the task of raising them. Sadly, they handed them the mindset--"it's all about you, sweetheart; it's called, "entitlement".

Screw that. As IT... and 4 more quarters will get you bus fare. Good damn luck! :lol:

Tom
04-14-2016, 09:53 PM
The lasagna is smarter than most of the kids in public schools today.