PDA

View Full Version : Keeneland Trip Today

pele polo
04-09-2016, 07:07 AM
Going to Keeneland today, it's been 11 years. Hopefully the weather means it won't be slam packed. Im looking for the best dining options in the evening with a girlfriend? Staying at the Courtyard.

And looks like one hell of a race card. Best of luck to everyone.

Lemon Drop Husker
04-09-2016, 08:04 AM
Awesome card today PP.

Should be a fantastic day. Have a great time and GL! :ThmbUp:

PoloUK6108
04-09-2016, 09:08 AM
Want a steak? Go to malone's..

Other good choices, portofino's or dudley's downtown

olddaddy
04-09-2016, 09:19 AM
I know Keenland has been sold out today for awhile. How many no shows because of weather I dont know. Dress warm its nippy there.

And yea, a terrific card.

tanner12oz
04-10-2016, 09:40 PM
I was there yesterday and it didn't feel very crowded ..attendance figs showed a 6k decline year over year. I love going and the place is a class act time in and time out. I try to take someone new along every meet, girlfriends. Friends, family members..thee place is worth showing off. Made $54 from a wagering standpoint. Had the wood/bluegrass pick 4..was alive to the late pick 4 to mott on the finale but that obviously didn't pan out.

my food suggestions just in case this thread gets unearthed...red state Bbq and Saul good..literally everyone says malones..which is good but there's other places....bourbon and Toulouse is also good..very casual but good grub

FrankieFigs
04-12-2016, 05:41 PM
I'm heading up on Thursday if anyone is around.....

delsully
04-03-2017, 09:01 AM
I'm heading to KEE for opening weekend for the first time and was looking for any advice on a good spot to set up camp. We have GA tickets and like to hang out by the paddock. Thanks in advance (any other tips are appreciated).

Fager Fan
04-03-2017, 09:58 AM
I'm heading to KEE for opening weekend for the first time and was looking for any advice on a good spot to set up camp. We have GA tickets and like to hang out by the paddock. Thanks in advance (any other tips are appreciated).

There's no real camping out at the paddock. It's a narrow strip really so people just go back and forth from the paddock to the apron.

SuperPickle
04-03-2017, 11:13 AM

So the only thing bad about Keeneland is it's a tough weekend trip without some type of paid seating. Where as Toga has picnic tables and grassy places to setup and Del Mar has an infield Keeneland doesn't really have any of this. There's little space by the paddock and the apron will be wall to wall people. There's some tables up on either the second or third floor where the simulcasting TV's that are first come but honestly there's not a lot of open space and it'll be opening weekend so it'll be wall to wall people.

jahura2
04-03-2017, 11:19 AM

If the weather is nice try to get there early and get a bench trackside on the apron. There are very few seating spaces in the paddock area itself. So try to get a place to sit down and use as your home base elsewhere. There are some inside tables and benches on the 2nd and 3rd floor grandstand and the sports bar 2nd floor is a popular spot but with limited seating. The key is getting there early.
Saturday is Bluegrass day with Mccracken, Tapwrit (I think) and J Boys Echo along with the Grade 1 Ashland and 3 other graded stakes so it will be packed to the gills.
I live here and usually go every day during a live meet but even I wont go near the place this Saturday. Have a great time and cash some tickets!

CincyHorseplayer
04-03-2017, 12:52 PM
Yeah I'm picking a Wednesday or a Thursday to go. I like a little more breathing room.

BIG49010
04-03-2017, 03:32 PM
Arrive early, stand out front, usually people have extra seats to sell. Even on big days!!!

delsully
04-03-2017, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the help. Can anyone tell me know where chairs are permitted? Ideally, we'd like to be close to the paddock.

When your home track was Beulah park a crowd ain't so bad every once in a while.

tanner12oz
04-03-2017, 06:55 PM
I'll be there Friday and Saturday..park on the hill and take the free shuttle to the track. You solo or have a group? You staying overnight? Weather looks okay can sometimes be pretty dicey. Like everywhere on big days bet early. Yeah it will be crowded but if you just zig when others zag its really not that bad.

Fager Fan
04-03-2017, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the help. Can anyone tell me know where chairs are permitted? Ideally, we'd like to be close to the paddock.

When your home track was Beulah park a crowd ain't so bad every once in a while.

I'm pretty sure chairs aren't allowed around the paddock. Or at least I've never seen any. When you see how small it is you'll understand. There are a few benches near the jock's room. I'd leave the chairs at home.

Parson
04-04-2017, 04:41 PM
You can take your chairs just about anywhere. You will see people on the 2nd floor with them all the time as well as in the paddock. Just watch out for the college kids that cant hold their liquor.

thespaah
04-05-2017, 11:33 PM
But DO keep an eye out for the college "talent".....Only race track I've been to that can match Saratoga for eye candy.
Sorry if I may have offended anyone.